Fake Fan Fiction ❯ Watcher ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Title: Watcher: Chapter 2
Fandom: Fake
Author: Ladymynx
Rating: PG
Disclaimer: I don't own FAKE -- that's Ms. Matoh - although if I did I'd make it into an anime series.
Spoilers: None
Warnings: profanity
Characters/Pairings: JJ, Drake, Dee, Ryo, Mother Lane
 
 
 
 
“Ow, damn it!”
 
“Dee Laytner!”
 
Dee cringed. “Sorry, Penguin.”
 
“Dee Laytner if you weren't on that ladder I'd box your ears for you!”
 
“He has to come down sometime, Mother,” Ryo smirked.
 
“You stay out of this!” Dee said.
 
Across the room, JJ chuckled as he watched the banter between his two best friends and the formidable Mother Maria Lane. He and Drake had volunteered to help Dee and Ryo with remodeling an old storage space in the orphanage into a new playroom. All four men pitched in their time and money to make the job go faster. JJ was thoroughly enjoying himself. People had told him he was good with kids. Dee had remarked it was because he related to them, at which point Dee and Drake had gotten into a wrestling match.
 
JJ opened the window before popping open another paint can. He loved this time of year, just when spring was giving way to summer. In two days he and Drake were going to drive to New England. JJ's sister had recommended a nice bed and breakfast there and JJ was looking forward to five days of his favorite sport - ravishing Drake Parker.
 
“Mr. JJ?”
 
JJ looked up with a grin at the five year old girl, Becky was her name and JJ thought she was adorable. He and Drake had talked about maybe adopting a child one day. Neither was sure if that was what they wanted to do. The idea appealed to JJ more than it did to Drake, although Drake had come from a large family.
 
“What can I do for you, sweetie?”
 
“A man asked me to give this to you.” She handed him the note.
 
All four men froze. JJ stared at the note and didn't take it immediately. His heart was suddenly in his stomach.
 
There was a thump as Dee jumped from the ladder. “Becky sweetie, you say a strange man approached you?”
 
Becky looked at each man. “Yes, but we were together. Me, James and Carrie. Did I do something wrong?”
 
“No sweetie, you didn't. Where are Carrie and James?”
 
“In the TV room.”
 
Dee was out of the room like a shot. Ryo moved to kneel before Becky, “Darling you know not to talk to strangers right? And never to go with them?”
 
“Yes Mr. Ryo. I'm sorry.”
 
“Don't be,” Ryo reached to embrace her. The note crinkled as he pulled her against his shoulder.
 
Drake was on his cell phone. “Becky honey do you remember what he looked like?”
 
She frowned and worried her lower lip. “Short like Mr. JJ. He had dark hair.”
 
JJ hadn't moved since Becky shown him the note. Dee returned looking grim. “They gave me a description, although he could be about several thousand people in New York. He walked off quick as soon as they took the note. I told Mother and she's got all the kids in just to be safe. You calling it in?”
 
“Yeah.”
 
“What did the note say?” The question was directed at JJ.
 
“What?” JJ looked up dragging himself with effort back to the real world. Ever since he'd seen that piece of paper he felt as though trapped in quicksand. He didn't want to see it but he found himself taking it from Becky anyway. Drake was behind him and draped a protective arm around his shoulders. JJ opened the note. Computer printed, it read:
 
JJ, you're so sweet, helping those kids.
I knew it was right to love you.
I'm sorry I can't show my true feelings yet. I will soon.
I hope you'll choose me and not that other man.
If not, I'll deal with him, so don't worry.
 
“What the fuck?” Drake demanded. “What the hell does he mean he'll deal with me, the sick son of a bitch!”
 
“Drake,” Ryo nodded curtly towards Becky.
 
“Oh - sorry.”
 
“Whoa what the hell is going on?” Dee said. “You know who wrote this?”
 
“We don't know, probably the same guy who called JJ last night.” Drake said.
 
“Becky,” Ryo suddenly said, “Will you excuse us please?”
 
The little girl nodded and left the room.
 
“All right what's going on you two? JJ?”
 
But JJ couldn't find his voice at first. The dread in the pit of his stomach threatened to make him sick.
 
“Damn it no,” JJ muttered, “It's not starting again.”