Fan Fiction / Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Memories of the Past and Friendships of the Future ❯ Deep Hatred Stirs From Beneath ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Nuh-uh. Me no own nuthin'.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

In this fic:

Italics are thoughts

<This is telepathic communication>

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Memories of the Past and Friendships of the Future

by koe760

Chapter 5: Deep Hatred Stirs From Beneath

Moira came back into her physical body as swiftly as she could. She just could not believe what her eyes and senses had just told her.

It couldn't be him...she repeatedly attempted to reassure her pounding heart and frantic mind. It just isn't possible...he couldn't have survived.

Taking a deep steadying breath, she straitened her spine and scoldingly reminded herself that she was a very powerful person and should thus act and think as one of her station should, and not like an inexperienced teenage girl who couldn't handle a bit of a challenge because of some unforeseen complication.

Hardening her gaze, she continued to stroke the large black hawk as it rested on the armrest of her chair. It doesn't matter. I had originally had plans for one such as he, but I will just have to find a new pet to command. I cannot take the risk that he might recognize me. Even if it is unlikely that he would. I had made sure of that.

Once again in control of her emotions, she waited patiently for her minion, Drefan, to bring in the object of her most recent thoughts. A few minutes later, Drefan appeared before her with the redhead alongside him.

Ignoring Drefan completely after waving her hand in dismissal at him, she focused all of her attention to the redhead who had his back towards her. She smirked slightly as she saw his body swaying as if he were dizzy. Hmph! He has absolutely no experience with magic, does he? That thought reassured her slightly, but not enough to ignore the fact that he could still be dangerous, and would most likely recognize her at his first sighting of her.

The memory blocker that I placed on his early memories all those years ago might have worn off already, considering that at the time of casting that particular spell on him, I had still been an inexperienced young sorceress still learning her craft.

Building up her resolve, she stood up and started walking towards the now crouching redhead, her high-heeled shoes clicking against the marble floor.

<Come Kieran,> she telepathically spoke to her familiar.

Now reassured by the weight of the black hawk perched on her shoulder, she felt that she could handle anything thrown her way.

~*~

Kenshin finally managed to blink away the fog edging his vision in time to spin around just as the footsteps stopped nearby. Swiftly getting to his feet he slowly raised his vision and caught his first glimpse of the one who he supposed was his reason for being here.

His line of sight first caught the view of the dainty feet secured in black high-heeled boots. As his eyes roamed up, he discovered that she was wearing a simple, dark purple, loose-fitting robe that was secured by a black ribbon tied around her slim waist. His gaze then fully beheld her narrow and angled face, with the hard steel-gray eyes and the dark brown hair that reached her shoulders.

As he continued to observe her, he could feel deep down in the bottom of his soul, a slight angry stirring. As if something deep inside had just started to awaken after a long slumber and had ill will against the women in front of him. Something about the way she looked and acted made him want to growl out like a wild beast, and strangle the breath out of her...watch her scream as her blood flowed between his fingers and dripped onto the ground...red splotches against the white tiles...

Startled, he quickly attempted to shake the gruesome thoughts out of his mind, appalled at his unexplainable hatred and bloodlust he felt towards her. Even when he was a hitokiri working for the Ishin Shishi, he had never felt this deep hatred and desire to inflict pain on another. This new emotion confused him and he swiftly broke his gaze with her, and instead watched intently as she casually lifted her red nailed hand to stroke the head of the bird perched on her shoulder.

...bird?...Kenshin blinked as he first noticed the black hawk. Though he wasn't at all sure how he could have missed noticing it in the first place. This particular bird didn't seem all that special, Kenshin observed, as he curiously gazed at it, and in turn it unblinkingly observed Kenshin.

Kenshin then fell back with a strangled cry as he saw what happened next. Something that he would never have expected to see. Something that he would definitely rather not ever see, if he had any choice in the matter. But apparently he didn't have a choice and see it he did.

Kenshin stared in horror as the hawk lazily stretched his wings out. Just enough for him to see that the hawk was infact not all black, but also had red tipped wings...