Fan Fiction / Zoids Fan Fiction ❯ The Boundaries of Parents ❯ Reconnaissance ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

A young man and woman made their way off the base the same way they had come. After making sure they weren't followed, they made it to the jeep and drove off quickly.

"What do you think, Spence? Can all they say be true?" The young lady broke the silence. Her long brown hair was flying everywhere in the wind.

Her partner shrugged his shoulders as he drove. "It is the Guardian Force. They have come up with astounding achievements."
She nodded her head. She sat back and looked up at the cloudy sky. "Guess we're going to have our work cut out for us."

"Let's tell the others what we know before we decide to take this mission. I'm willing to take it, but I can't do this without you and the others." Spence looked over at his partner. She was still looking up at the sky.

The two drove until they came to the boundary between the desert and an oasis. Spence slowed down when he neared a village and turned left. Beyond the village was their headquarters, a building that looked similar to a two-story apartment complex.

Entering the complex, Spence and his comrade walked through a large lounge area. From there, they headed down the hall. There was only one room on the right. Another young man and woman were sitting at a round table in the middle of the room.

"Since we're all here, we better get started." Spence put down a packet of pictures. "I'll let Angel go first."

The brunette stood up in front of the table. She quickly tied back her hair in a bun and began with the briefing.

"The Guardian Force has come quite a ways with their new Liger Zero Zoid. Go ahead and take a look at the reconnaissance pictures we took. I think you'll find them interesting."

Each member took a look at the various pictures, starting from the beginning phases until they reached the more recent ones.

"Nice! Is it as fierce as it looks?" The girl with the dark purple hair asked.

"What are you talking about, Jaq? It's just a Liger Zoid." The man with steel gray eyes looked skeptical.

Angel chuckled, "But that is where you're wrong, Nick. The technicians over at the Guardian Force have revolutionized the way this Liger fights. I wasn't able to take pictures today, but I can give you the details Spence and I overheard."

She began briefing the rest exactly as Catherine had briefed the officers. Spence picked up the pictures and began to draw her descriptions on them. Nick and Jaq paid close attention to all the details.

"So, this Liger can actually transform into three different Zoids? Have they tested it?" Nick was showing more interest.

Spence answered him. "Everything we just said is hypothetical. We know that they have the components built, and the Liger is ready to be tested, but they haven't done anything. Our best course of action is to wait for them to test the Zoid before we take it."

"First, we all have to be willing to do this job. It's not going to be easy. Van and the Guardian Force are no rookies."

"Are you the president of Van's fan club, Angel?" Nick raised an eyebrow as he looked at the brunette.

"I believe it's dangerous to underestimate your enemy. Van is the pilot that destroyed the Deathsaur and the Death Stinger. Neither Prozen nor Hiltz were able to stop him, even after they defeated everyone else."

"And you can't forget Raven." Jaq could feel Angel and Nick's cold stares, so she kept her head down.

Spence interjected, "Raven was considered the best pilot in the Empire. He met Van and their matches are legendary. He was defeated in the Genosaur."

"But the Guardian Force never could take out his Genobreaker."

"They didn't need to after Raven joined them to defeat the Ultimate Deathsaur."

Nick rocked back and forth slightly in his chair. "So?"

"If we're going to take the new Liger away from them, we have to be smart about it. The direct approach has never been successful." Angel had a gleam in her eyes that everyone smiled at when they noticed. She had a plan, and as the group's strategy expert, she never let them down.

"Engaging Van and the GF in battle would be pointless, when there is a better approach that could be taken."

"I knew you had to be thinking of something. What is it?" Jaq was looking impatient.

"We're going to have wait. Let's see how the test goes before we start putting too much time and effort into a plan. Van said they had no test scheduled as of yet, but he seemed too eager to put off a test for long."

"I'm guessing you and Spence will continue your recon work. Then maybe we'll hear this brilliant plan of yours." Nick gave Angel a sly grin as she gave him a wink.

Spence stood up to leave. "I think I'll go outside and check on my Zoid. I suggest everybody do the same. We haven't done any maintenance on them since our return from the last battle."

The tall red-headed man led the group to a small maintenance facility in the back. Two Zoids were on the right and two were on the left. He headed towards an Iron Kong, while Nick headed to the Zaber Fang on the other side. Angel began running diagnostic tests on one of the Helcats, while Jaq did the same to hers.

The mercenaries worked until Nick pointed out something to the rest of the lance. "I think we have an advantage over Prozen and Hilz."

Spence walked around his Zoid to look Nick in the eyes. "What are you talking about, man?"
"Think about it. Both of those guys were too cocky and relied too much on power to achieve their goals. That didn't get them very far, did it?"

Angel and Jaq stopped what they were doing and thought about this for a moment. Slowly, they went back to work, finishing up what they were doing.

When Jaq was done, she walked over to the two guys and joined the conversation. "I understand what you're saying. The Ultimate Deathsaur was even defeated! We could actually take the GF because we rely on our skills."

"Exactly! If we had to go into battle, we could do it."

Spence and Angel remained doubtful. Both teammates had more experience in the field, but they could also understand Nick and Jaq's points.

"What are you thinking, Spence?" Angel called out from above the Helcat.

"Our Zoids are a good match for their Zoids. It's all good, in theory."

"What are you talking about? We could do it! When have the Ice Daggers taken a mission they couldn't handle?"

"Hold on a second. To the outside world, we are a respected mercenary unit. If we tangle with the Guardian Force in battle, it would destroy the way others see us." Angel was trying to explain a valid point.

Nick interrupted her, "Since when have been good ol' honest soldiers?"

She gave him a disgusted look. "Listen to me very carefully. The point of keeping our reputation good is so we never have anybody becoming suspicious of our other activities. If you give the GF a hint, they'll investigate every village we've been through and begin noticing a pattern. An assassination here and a few sabotages there, can't be passed off as simple coincidences."

Nick was getting irritated, "Do you really think they're that great?"

She hopped down from the top of her Zoid. "I think you of all people should know how dangerous it is to underestimate your enemy."

A memory flashed through Nick's mind. A year ago, he was sitting in his Gunsniper on the top of a hill on the edge of a jungle. He didn't see the Ptera Striker coming, and it completely destroyed his Zoid.

"Fine. I hope your plan is full proof."

"Don't worry about it, it's perfect."