Fan Fiction ❯ Book of Shadows: Prelude to Broken Skies (Book One) ❯ Sins of the Past ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

THE BOOK OF SHADOWS
Book One:
Prelude to Broken Skies
 
 
by: John Lopez
 
 
Disclaimer: All ideas, places, and characters are my own and belong to me. You will need my permission to use these ideas, DO NOT USE THEM WITHOUT MY PERMISSION!!!
 
 
Chapter 1
-The Sins of the Past-
 
'Atone...atone for your sins...' voices seemed echo off walls of a white walled chamber.
'What...do you mean?' a figure negated to the color black seems to stand alone in the white chamber. Once again the hollowed voice, mixed with different pitches and lengths speaks, as if talking over time and space itself.
'Bearer of the book...bearer of darkness...your soul will guide the world to...destruction...'
'...what do you mean...please tell me!' the figure yells out, his voice echoing into the distant, carried by the winds of the past, to be forgotten until the time of atonement comes.
 
 
Waking from the dream, a young boy, around the age of five, sits up and a cold sweet runs down his face. The dreams come to him periodically, everytime he gains another year to his age, these dreams come again. Sometimes they seem more realistic than the ones before. The boy glances to the outside of his stone room, his head barely reaching over the window seal. Morning was breaking over the horizion and the suns rays danced over the tree tops in an explosion the set the world in motion.
The young boy dresses for the day, his mind full of what this day may bring...his fifth birthday...soon the smell of fresh bread fills his senses. He smiles to himself and exits his small room and enters his families cottage like home. This place wasn't much, yet it was the world to him.
 
"Ah, good morning Cane, did you sleep well last night?" asked a gentle speaking woman in her late thirties dressed in a servants style dress.
"Yes mother, I did." Cane smiled sheepishly. "So whats the plan for today?" Cane's mother smiled, letting a quiet laugh go. She shook her head, refusing to spare any details. Cane saw his mother's stubborness and decided to wait. Being the age he was, he couldn't sit still for his mothers reply. "Mom, I'm going to visit dad, be back real soon!" His mother gave a nod of approval before he ran off.
Cane wouldn't have to travel far. Entering the woods surrounding his remote home, he came across the path he remembered so well. He came down everyday to visit his father at his place in the woods. Reaching as far in as he could go down this path, Cane stopped looking at his father, which was towering over the young boy.
"Father...today is my fifth birthday..." Cane reached out towards a hand of his father, only to grab a stone statue. Cane fought back tears, remembering his father's death one year ago during a war against a large rebel force. Heirarch Felnor paid for the contruction of this monument, praising Cane's father achievement in the final battle...of course at the cost of his own life. Cane rested his head next to the statues base and stayed there silent.
 
Cane didn't realize he had fallen asleep, when he awoke he realized it was late afternoon. Cane mouthed a goodbye to the statue of his father and ran back to his home. While on his way Cane saw black smoke rising in mass over the treetops. Sensing urgency, Cane ran quickly as he could. The trees around him vanished as he emerged to the opening where his home would be, yet before him was a smoldering ruin of his former home.
"Mom!" yelled Cane frantically searching for his mother, yet the only evidence he saw was a charred hand emerging from the ashes, lifeless. "...mom..." Cane wept the sorrows fit for the pain of the world, both his parent gone, both taken from him on his birthday. While submerged in his sorrow a man on a horse rode up behind. Cane stopped to look, the man was a knight, dressed in azure blue armor, his helmet covered his face, and on his shield was a strange purple eye.
"Mourn for the loss of a mother...or mourn for the loss of the world...get up boy...in time you'll mourn for more than the loss of both your parents...run child...you can run...but fate will always follow you and so will the Eye of Fate..." The knight drew his sword, Cane deep inside knew this man was responsible for the death of his mother, so he did as the knight said to do and ran. He ran through the forrest, passing his father's grave, farther and deeper the child went, weeping still from the loss of his loved ones.
 
Cane ran for what seemed hours, his legs ached, his head hurt, and his heart felt empty.
"I've lost everything..." wept Cane looking for a place to rest his weary body. A cave was the only place that seemed promising. Entering the cave, Cane, sat against a wall half way into the cave, to avoid any drafts or rain. His eyes became heavy and his mind went numb, and quietly Cane fell into a deep sleep.
As night carried on the caves owner arrived. His massive body came inside, he felt a presence in the cave with him and found a human boy. The creature looked over the human and instantly he somehow felt the pain this boy has just endured, this childs loss even hurt the heart of the beast. The boy's eye's opened and his gaze found a pair of red eyes starring back at him.
Cane let out a yell, fear consuming his being. "Please...don't hurt me..." Cane begged for his life.
"I won't harm you..." spoke the creature in a deep voice filled with pride and strength. The pair of eyes turned away from Cane and fire bellowed from the creature, hitting what seemed a pile of wood, lighting the cave. Cane then saw who the cave belonged to. A great black dragon, his body stretched about 200 feet, his tail added another 20 to it. His chest was blood red and his eyes matched. The dragon's arms are seperate from the wings, unlike most dragons in Weiyth. "Don't fear me my boy...you have nothing to fear." Cane, even though intemidated by being in the presence of a dragon, felt somewhat at ease. Cane gave a nod and watched the dragon curl up near by, his head directly at Cane.
"Thank-you..." whispered Cane.
"Tell me boy...what is your name?" asked the black dragon.
"I am Cane..." the young boy had the sudden urge to cry again and tried to fight them back.
"Cane...I am Lothodrus..." the black dragon saw Cane begin to break down. Lothodrus knew the boy was in pain, yet Lothodrus felt something, he knew what it was...he had lost something close to him as well...this boy reminds him so much of his son...a young dragon that was hunted down and killed by some cult members needing dragon's scales and blood for a ritual, he remembered hunting them down and buring every last one of them to ash. A father like instinct arose in him, something he thought that had died those few years ago, Lothodrus got back up and curled up closer to Cane, wrapping a wing around the boy like he did his own son. "Rest...Cane..."
Cane was slightly shocked, yet he saw the seriousness in the dragon's crimson eyes. Cane dried his face, and tried to forget the troubles of his day. Lothodrus kept an eye on the boy for the rest of the night as the boy slept soundly under the mighty dragons wing. A bond would be forged that night...one that would be tested in the years to come...one followed by the Eye of Fate...