Fan Fiction ❯ Illusia ❯ Illusia - Her Story 15 ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 15

The next morning dawned cold and rainy.

Diamondsea and I were both soaked to the skin when we woke up. My dress was heavy and it clung to me in a very uncomfortable way. Diamondsea smelled very much like a wet goat, but at least the rain had rinsed away most of the dried blood that had matted into his once-beautiful coat. What was left of his mane and tail was lead-grey and hung limp, soaked and bedraggled-looking. My ponytails were in no better condition.

In spite of our rather disheveled appearance, we thought of only how happy we were at finding each other again. We cared nothing for our appearances.

Diamondsea looked like he was in no condition to run, so I led him slowly along the rough path that my doe’s form had trampled out the day before. When I say slowly, I mean so slowly it was literally painful. I was up to my knees in mud, my boots becoming useless and heavy as they filled with water and mud.

Every few feet, Diamondsea let out a scream of fury and pain because of a sharp stick or rock that got into the cracks in his hooves. Several times, I tripped over a hidden root and fell face-forward into the thick, knee-deep mud that smelled of sulfur. The mud caked in my hair and weighted my dress down even more. My feet were beyond painful in mud-filled boots and I couldn’t feel my hands. The rain turned to blinding hail and soon we were lost.

We stumbled along through the brush, pelted by hail. All the while, we tripped, fell and slammed into trees. Poor Diamondsea’s screams were dying down to soft moans as he gradually lost the feeling in his hooves. He finally tripped over a hidden rock and his tired body lurched forward, too exhausted to carry on. As he tossed his head in a half-hearted attempt to regain his balance, his horn slashed across my back. It tore my dress clean through, exposing bruised and wounded skin to the merciless hail. I was so numb from the cold and from being battered by hailstones that I felt no pain, just warm blood running down my back.

I turned around to calm Diamondsea just as lightning split the sky and struck a tree less than fifteen feet from us. The thin but still-powerful winged unicorn reared up in wild terror, throwing me backwards. I fell against a huge tree, a broken branch cutting deeply into my arm. As I slumped to the ground, bleeding more than ever, I didn’t even recoil as the huge unicorn crashed towards me, crazed with fear. I stared at the huge horse that had been my old friend since childhood, waiting for him to end my life in his frenzy. I never expected to see the dark shape that stepped out of the shadows to calm my dear Diamondsea’s fears. I stammered out a soft “Thank you” before everything went black.

When I woke up, everything was eerily lit. My head was throbbing with every beat of my heart. I had no idea where I was or what was going on. All I knew was pain. I sat up slowly and looked around. A dying fire was the single source of light. I seemed to be back in Grandfather Bear’s cave. Still, I didn’t know how I got there. I assumed it was Terran who brought me back.

Wait! Terran wasn’t with me! Where is he?

I had to know if Terran was alright. If I was in this bad a condition, dried blood all over me, bruised and cut, who knew what might have happened to him? I looked around frantically for him. I couldn’t stand to think of him out there alone in the cold, bleeding, possibly dying. I was startled when I heard a quiet voice from a shadowed corner on the opposite side of the cave.

“So, you’re awake, Princess… Are you alright?”