Fan Fiction ❯ Illusia ❯ Sawyer - A Disturbed Mind : Interlude 2 ( Chapter 24 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Interlude 2

I dreamed of Lily that night…

“Is it really you…?”

I turned to look behind me and saw my Lily standing not too far behind me. She looked like she was about to cry. I couldn’t stand to see her like that, the tears making her cinnamon eyes seem unnaturally bright. I spread my arms and called to her:

“Lily, it’s all right! It’s me!”

She smiled. It had been so long since I had seen her smile, even in my dreams. Still she just stood there. The wind picked up, blowing her long mane of pale pink waves around her. She looked beautiful, as she always had.

“But you seem so far away…”

“You can make it, Lily!”

She stood still for a few seconds, and then dashed towards me, giggling happily as she had done so rarely in life. At top speed, she threw herself into my open, waiting arms in a flurry of pent-up energy, knocking both of us backwards a little. I gathered her up and spun her around, laughing until we both fell over into the tall grass. Laying there, out of breath and smiling, we were happy just to be in each other’s arms again.

It felt so real, like she was really there with me, warm and safe.

“Lily… My sweet Lily… You have no idea how much I’ve missed you…”

“I think not nearly as much as I’ve missed you…”

I ran my fingers through her silky pink hair, remembering how we used to be. I held her tighter, knowing fully that this was a dream. I was hoping with all I was worth that I would never wake up. I rested my head on top of hers, swearing I could feel her soft hair against my cheek.

“How could you miss me? After what I did… I thought you would hate me…”

I lifted my head off hers and looked down at her only to see her staring at me incredulously. Beautiful cinnamon-brown eyes shined up at me, shining with happy tears instead of sad ones. She was still smiling. Before I knew it, her hand was tangled in my hair, pulling me closer to her.

“How could you think that? It’s ridiculous.”

“But Lily… I killed you…”

She drew me even closer. Our lips were inches apart and her breath tickled my face.

“I could never hate you,” she whispered. “Not then… Not now… Not ever…”

I opened my mouth to protest, but her other hand came up to my face. Gently, she placed a finger over my lips.

“I know the only emotion I could ever feel towards you is love. Believe me… Even now…” She said in a low voice, tilting her head so that my lips barely brushed the skin of her cheek. “I love you…”

“Those were the last words you ever spoke to me,” I trailed off sadly.

I was having trouble forming coherent thoughts.

“The last words you ever spoke…”

She said nothing to acknowledge this. Her beautiful brown eyes fell closed. Slowly, she was closing the distance between our lips. I was hoping beyond hope that this time they would finally meet again. I could feel their warmth almost on mine, our breaths becoming one.

Moments before her lips met mine everything around us began to swirl together in a mass of blurred colors. Lily’s form slowly faded away and I was left alone. I felt so cold and so empty without her soft warmth in my arms.

I hung my head, trying my hardest not to let the tears escape.

Why, Lily? Why do I always wake up before you kiss me?