Fan Fiction ❯ Mistakes ❯ Riku ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Mistakes

Author's note from the first chapter still applies.

Riku/Sora, Riku's POV

He really broke me that day- the day I gave him that stupid fruit. He was my everything, and I wanted to share everything with him, but things don't always work out as planned. Take the paupu, for instance. He asked me about them one morning. I can remember it perfectly: the sun shining, the waves gently lapping the shore, the sound of Tidus and Wakka teasing Selphie. It was just like any other day.

He climbed the ladder from the ocean to my island, where I was sitting on the bent paupu tree, like always. "Riku!" He called to me. I jumped down, landing in front of him, expecting a fight, but he just stood there.

"I need to ask you something…but it's a little embarrassing…" He trailed off, leaving me wondering what was so embarrassing. I knew it wasn't his first wet dream, he'd had that a couple of years ago. Maybe his first crush. It wasn't until the next sentence that I understood completely.

"I…uh…what do you know about the paupu fruit?"

I laughed. Of course, his first crush, and he wanted them to be together forever. Inside, I was crushed. He had another person in mind. Not that it mattered; I had already hardened my heart. I'd get him the stupid thing, and he'd never know what he missed.

At my laughter, he fled, mumbling something over his shoulder about hearing his mother calling him, so I decided to milk this for all it was worth. I climbed the tree and grabbed the most perfect paupu on the whole of the islands. I'd give it to him that night, on our way back.

The day passed as any other day did; play fighting with Tidus, teasing Selphie about her hair, intimidating Wakka. All stupid pastimes of youth, I guess. On the way home, I handed Sora my prize. His eyes widened, and I wondered what he was thinking. A look of confusion crossed his face, and I quickly covered up.

"I thought you wanted one. You know, for Kairi?" I struggled to keep my voice even, but I'm not sure how well it worked. I smiled at him, the smile that promises baseball in summer, camping and all the things boys do, and I left.