Fan Fiction ❯ Morning Star ❯ Chapter 1

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

The dead and the dying littered the ground. The stench of rotting flesh hung heavy in the air. A tall figure walked slowly among the bodies, carefully stopping to check each one before moving on to the next.

Continuing through the massacre, those who could still move began to cling to the figure, desperate for help or for an end; those who could still speak, wailed and those who were alive but could do neither wept silently, their tears streaking through the blood that marred their features.

Oblivious to this the one walked onward, passing all until a soft sobbing was heard. Head lifting, the tall figure increased his pace and continued in the direction of the sound, the constant checking now forsaken.

Reaching the edge of the slaughter, a wall came into view with what appeared to be the outline of a small child sitting atop it. This was the source of the sobbing and also the end of the search.

Sensing someone approach, the child lifted its head, eyes frantically searching. Seeing the figure the child leapt from the wall, landing delicately and ran towards it.

Halting in front of the figure the child stopped, as if waiting for a sign. When the figured nodded the child hurled itself into its arms and sobbed helplessly.

"I never meant this to happen. I didn't want any of this. You believe me don't you?" the child looked expectantly at the figure, trying to read any betraying emotions.

"Yes."

The child smiled slightly "I only meant to stay here a little while but it was so nice and the people were all really friendly to me that I didn't want to leave. I thought it might be different this time, that they wouldn't find me but…but…" the sobbing began again.

"You were very difficult to find this time, Hikaru. I was contemplating abandoning you."

The girl looked up at him fearfully "You wouldn't really, would you? You promised me that you would always be here and that you'd never leave me and-"

"Quiet. I'm still here and unless you want me to leave now, you will stop this whining. We need to leave this place"

"Alright 'Kuma, I'm sorry. Before we go, could I…could I say goodbye?" she looked hopefully up at Tokuma.

"If you are quick, you may."

As the girl ran among those that she had once known and lived with, occasionally stopping to speak, her tall companion frowned, disapproval obvious on his features before turning his gaze skywards.

"It will rain soon Hikaru, we should leave now unless you wish to get wet."

The girl stood, and looking once more at the sea of bodies, made her way back to Tokuma. Bowing her head slightly causing her pale blond hair to fall into her eyes, she spoke.

"I'm ready to leave now."

She raised her head slowly to meet his unreadable gaze, a solitary tear coursing down her cheek. As if the sky had sensed her sorrow it began to rain. First one drop, then another, before the heavens cracked and a storm was sent to cleanse the earth from the recent bloodshed.

Tokuma took Hikaru's arm and led her through the dead towards the road where a dark blue, almost black car awaited them.

=========================

"Report."

"The small farming town of Shinai was attacked and destroyed."

The owner of the original voice lent back in his chair "It is finally done then, you have it with you, I assume."

"Negative, Sir. We believe it to have died during the attack."

Sitting up again, the man frowned "You believe it to have died? Meaning that you didn't check."

"There was a great number of casualties and we believed that we should return to the base quickly, as were your orders."

"Fool!" the man said, rising from his chair "I don't care if it took you weeks, months. You could have stayed out there for years and it wouldn't have made a difference. I want that creature, dead or alive. I want it now and I want you to go back and do not return unless you are bringing that thing to me. Is that clear?"

The younger man nodded and left the room shakily, leaving the other to his thoughts.

======================

Tokuma looked over to the sleeping form of Hikaru, brushing a strand of hair from her face.

"If they had found you…" he shook his head, unwilling to continue.

As though his speaking had disturbed her, Hikaru turned slightly in her seat and sighed softly. Tokuma left her to her sleep and returned his attention to the road, not that it was really needed. The road was straight and stretched into the distance and theirs was the only vehicle to be seen in any direction.

Running a hand through his black hair, Tokuma reached down to pick up his cell phone. Dialling rapidly he placed the phone to his ear and waited.