Fan Fiction ❯ Nina ❯ duno ( One-Shot )

[ A - All Readers ]

12/11/2001

Homework

My name is Nina; this is a story of something that happened to me as a child, however, I am a grown woman now. I was about eight years old, I was young and ready for anything, I had three sisters and one brother, I was the youngest, my sisters, Mari, Lucy and Myra were 13, 14 and 16, and my brother Kieran was 19, all my sisters were killed by a tidal wave 21 years ago.

It had been a very sunny day, the air was warm, and there wasn't much wind, just a slight breeze. Mari was playing with me outside of our little beach house, we were playing tag, and my brother kept saying he thought something really terrible was going to happen soon, I just wish we had known how soon. It was about eleven o'clock in the morning, my mother had gone to the shops and my dad was on a company trip. Lucy and Myra were inside talking, as teenagers do, I couldn't figure out how they could cope just sitting around the house, I was always so full of energy then.

"I'm going to go inside see what the others are up to, o.k. Nina?"

"Sure, I'll wait here for you." It was a good thing I did otherwise I would have been trapped inside and been crushed by the roof of the house when the tidal wave came. `What is that noise?' I thought to myself, `it is probably just a plane', boy was I wrong. "Nina, I'll just be a sec, I'm going to get a little something out of the attic." I would have shouted back but I knew she wouldn't have been able to hear me, so I just waited. Suddenly I heard a rumbling behind me and the light disappeared, I turned around, I saw a massive wave towering over me, everything seemed to go in slow motion, my entire life flashed before my eyes. I may not have been alive for long, but as a child, eight years was a lot. I screamed as loud as my little lungs would cope and then just stared upwards, I honestly thought I was going to die; I was probably very close to it as well. The water came crashing down on top of me, I remembered my brother's prediction and felt so stupid for not believing him, if I had known he was right, I would have gone with my mother to the shops, I'm glad she got away though, and my dad.

As I opened my eyes, I thought to myself, `am I dead? Is this heaven?' huh, some heaven, I couldn't breath, the gravity seemed so strong, it was the pressure, I didn't realise it, but I was being dragged backwards. I then felt something hit my back, I had been rammed into a palm tree, I grabbed onto it and held on as tight as I could, just as I felt my hands slipping, the water level lowered, it was over. I looked behind me, the house had collapsed. I heard a groaning, it was Kieran, my brother, I tried to run to him, but I fell over, I felt weak, like I had just been beaten up by some sumo wrestler, though being beaten up by a sumo wrestler probably would have been my choice instead of that happening. "Kieran, are you o.k?" no one answered, "KIERAN? Say something, please, are you o.k? Answer me! Please." Still nothing. I staggered over, knelt down, I saw his hand, lent over to hold it, tears rolled down my cheeks as I tried to pull him out, he was barely alive. "Nina…is that you?" he groaned quietly. "Yes, are you o.k?" he didn't reply. I tried as hard as I could to pull him out, by now I could just about see his head. I checked his pulse, and made sure he was still breathing, he was badly injured, but he turned out to be fine. I thought I heard Mari's voice, I did, I pulled Kieran out of the ruins and ran over the rubble to Mari, I could see most of her body, I checked her pulse, but it was too late, just then I collapsed. In the time I was unconscious, I had a dream of me, my sisters and Kieran all playing happily in our garden, we were giggling and talking, but it was the last time I ever saw my sisters.

I slowly opened my eyes, at first all I could see were blurs, my eyes slowly focused, it was my mother and the doctor looking over me, I tried to speak, but all that came out was a groan, my mother was red in the face from crying. Later, when I could speak again, I asked what was wrong, she sat down on the bed next to me, "I'm afraid your sisters didn't make it, you and your brother are the only ones that survived the tidal wave." I sat up, "What do you mean `didn't make it'?" I asked my mother. "They were killed in the accident, I'm so sorry." I looked down at the sheets on my bed, small water drops fell on to it, I looked up, I saw my brother on another bed, I jumped out of my bed and ran over to him. "Kieran, Kieran, wake up, are you o.k, please answer me, please wake up, say something." He slowly opened his eyes, he looked at me as if I were a complete stranger, I sat up, "Are you o.k?" I said again. "I'm fine, are you?" my eyes filled with tears as I fell into his arms with joy. "I'm fine, I'm so happy you're o.k, I thought I'd never see you again." I looked up at him, he looked startled, he smiled and hugged me. I consider myself one of the most lucky people in the world to have survived it, I just wish it were my sisters instead, though, if it were, they would think exactly the same thing, so in a way, I'm happy I lived, I just think to myself whenever it gets me down, `they have gone to a better place'. Corny I know, but I believe it's true, and I know a part of them, will always live on in my heart.

Emma Louise Middleton

Class Seven

3 Pages

1,062 words

4,234 characters (not counting spaces)

5,299 characters (counting spaces)

6 Paragraphs

88 Lines