Fan Fiction ❯ Omni Per Nox ❯ Tome Five: Sussuri In Noctem ( Chapter 5 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Whispers in the Night

The blood was splattered over the walls as if it had been spilt with a large blade, or dark magic. When Raven reached the end of the hall, she noticed that the blood pooled at the front of one of the doors, which was shut. Cautiously, she opened the door and slipped inside.

The bedroom was dark, the candles her mother usually kept lit were out. Raven tentatively reached out with her mind, seeking the presence from before. It took several minutes of silent searching, but finally Raven felt the weak presence of another mind. She reached out to determine wose mind it was, and as she did she heard herself cry out, "Mother!"

All pretenses of caution dissappeared as she felt the presence of her mother's mind fade. She frantically tried to search the room physically, hoping to find her mother in the darkened chamber. However, after slamming her knee into the same chair three times, Raven growled angrily and waved a hand twords the door, the torch there reigniting dimly. At the sight before her, Raven stopped. Stopped moving- stopped breathing- even her heart felt readdy to freeze.

Her mother's bedroom was painted in soft greys and blues with glit trimmings. Sheer silk veils hung from the ceiling at seemingly random points, drapeing to the floor. The large bed was covered with a large gold colored silk sheet.

But now, the room was in ruin. There was blood on every wall, the veils which usually hung about were shredded and strewn about, and yet the bed itself held the greatest horror of all...
~ ~ ~
Raven suddenly sat bolt upright, breathing heavily. The room was dark, Starfire was again asleep in her chair, and all appeared to be well. She knew appearances to be deceiving, and it wasn't the dream that had woken her.

'Where did those voices come from? An intruder?' Raven asked herself, 'Or are those dumb boys playing their pointless games at this hour again? That's probably it.'

She propped the pillows up so that she could sit upright without hurting her back. She sighed, knowing she now couldn't fall asleep tonight. Instead, she closed her eyes to think...

"mortus... omnia est mortus... et cetera, omni necat..."

Raven's eyes shot open, that whispering was definately NOT some videogame. Raven knew that voice. Yes, she knew it all too well. One doesn't easily forget the voice of someone they have spent most of their life loathing. "Father... Has he finally found me again?"

Raven's hands were clenched in fury, she was forcing herself not to destroy the whole tower just to relieve her emotions. "No, you won't frighten me, ruin my controll, or even distract me. You are powerless here, there is nothing you can do," she whispered back. She calmed herself forcibly, and focussed on ignoring the whispers.

"Mmn... Glorftharx knromnat..." Starfire muttered in her sleep before turning her face twords Raven and she began to snore lightly.

Raven looked at the princess at her bedside and smiled, at least she was getting some sleep. Raven shook her head, still rather vexed that Starfire had risked her own health to watch over her, when they all knew she could regenerate through her powers.

"You can not hide forever.... you will fulfill the prophesy..."

She supressed a shudder and blocked out the whispering.

'"It's him! He's back!'" '"Oh, shit.'" '"Oh no, oh no; he'll be so mad at us for running.'"

"Be quiet," Raven muttered, "he's-"

'"We should run while we can.'" '"No, no, he's just trying to smoke us out, the bastard has no idea where we are.'" '"Maybey that's just what he want's us to think?'"

"I said, be quiet!" Raven shouted, losing her patience utterly.

"Keprofthoolan!" Starfire exclaimed, sitting bolt-upright, suddenly wide awake. She glanced about frantically for a moment before she realised where she was and, with a sigh of relief, asked, "What is wrong, Raven? Did a bad dream wake you?"

Raven averted her eyes, feeling guilty for waking the other girl, and replied, "Yeah, it was just a bad dream..."

Starfire smiled wanly and smoothed Raven's bedsheets. "Yes. Just remember that dreams can not harm you, because they are not real."

'It's not dreams I'm worried about...'
~end chapter~

A.N.:
Short note again, but I just wanted to let everyone know that I just realized that I had anonymous reviews off the other day, so to repent: I will spend tomorow writing more of Omni per Nox while sitting in seiza position. As always, please review or send me your oppinion direcly at eqfan0013@hotmail.com
Thanks for reading, next chapter should be out in a day or two.