Fan Fiction ❯ Once Upon A December ❯ Once Upon a December ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Once Upon a December

By Kirsten

Author's note: Hey all!! It's me, Kirsten!!! Anyways, I got this plot bunny while looking for music to sing to for my school variety show… and yes, I know Kairi's perspective of this song is easier, and well… it is, but I like Riku. And plus, I wanted to write an angst-filled Riku fic! Wootness!!! So, here you go. And here's the disclaimer in tune of Simple and Clean, which I don't own either…

Do you really believe

I own these things?

-but really

I don't own anything

You came to me

And I said:

"Wish I owned Kingdom Hearts,

And I don't own Anastasia, either,

They belong to their rightful owners,

I don't own a dime, so reader

please don't sue me!

And life will be simple!"

************************************************

It was cold in the darkness of Kingdom Hearts. The heartless have grown tired of Riku, so Riku's all alone.

Dancing Bears,

Painted wings,

Things I almost remember…

Flashback to a bedroom. Teddy bears with angel wings are on the wall. A young child, who looks no older than 2, holds onto a stuffed paupu fruit as he is crying.

And a song someone sings,

Once upon a December.

Enter a woman with long silver hair, just like her son. She picks up her crying child and begins to rock him.

Someone holds me safe and warm.

Silver horses prance through a silver storm.

Every night, the woman would sing the same song. It was the child's favorite, and her favorite too. The lullaby swirled around the room, filling the child's mind with horses dancing on silver clouds.

Figures dancing gracefully,

Across my memory.

The young mother sets her tired toddler into his crib. She spins his mobile, which has angels, before she leaves the room. The child's last vision of the night was the angels playfully spinning above him.

Fash back to another memory. This time, it's in a living room. A huge Christmas tree is in the corner, with its multicolor lights blinking on the beautiful glass ornaments. The young mother is holding her child, now 4 years old, on her lap. They are both in a rocking chair, and she is reading him a story from a book.

Someone holds me safe and warm

Horses dance through a silver storm.

Suddenly, the child leaps off his mother's lap. He runs out the room, quickly returning with a piece of paper.

"I made this for you, mommy!" the child announces happily. The mother opens it, revealing a sloppily drawn heart. The mother smiles.

"It's beautiful." She lifts her son into her arms, and they both watch the tiny lights dance across the room.

Figures dancing gracefully,

Across my memory.

End of flash back. Present-day Riku is curled in a ball. A single tear streams down his cheek.

Far away, long ago,

Glowing dim as an ember.

An image of his mother enters his mind, then slowly fades away. Riku subconsciously reaches out, only to find nothing in his reach.

Things my heart used to know

Things I yearn to remember.

Another flash back. This time the child is 6 years old. His mom is tucking him in.

"When I grow up, I'm gonna explore all the stars! Maybe we'll find daddy!" the child said happily.

"Maybe. But explorers need their sleep!" the young mother replied. She gave her son a kiss on the forehead. "Good night."

"Good night mommy!"

And a song, someone sings.

Once upon a December.

Back to present day. Riku pulls something out of his pants pocket. It is small and egg shaped. He holds it in his palm for a bit, then he pulls up the lid. A haunting melody fills the area as he starts to hear his mother's voice, singing their special lullaby.

On the wind,

Cross the sea.

Hear this song and remember.

Soon you'll be

Home with me

Once upon a December.