Fan Fiction ❯ Only a Picture ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: Kingdom Hearts is not mine. Thank you, but the poem is mine! Do not use without asking for permission to use it.

Author’s Note: Hello everyone! Just a few words and then I’ll send you off to the fanfic. Now I decided to write this fanfic because when I was finishing the game (getting to level 100 etc.) when I beat Ansem and when Kairi looks in the secret cave to find the picture of when Sora and Kairi drew on the wall…well…I looked at the picture that was suppose to be ‘Kairi’, but it looks more like Riku when he was little to me. Why? Because of the spiky hair going everywhere and the little Riku had that same hair. Even though Sora and Kairi drew that picture together…maybe Sora had a different picture in his mind…maybe he wasn’t drawing Kairi, but Riku! So I base this fanfic off this and I hope you like it because it’s going to be a wild ride. To begin this chapter takes place when Sora had already seen Riku for the first time after he came to Traverse Town and now he is saving the worlds with Donald and Goofy. I hope you enjoy! Hey! It is only a picture…

I knew it couldn’t be true…

Even if I wish it…

As I gaze into those joyous eyes

I see nothing…

Only the darkness within.

Even though your heart is pure

It’s eating you away

Piece-by-piece

Inch-by-inch

It freezes your body and manipulates your mind

And all I glimpse is evil…

Is it iniquitous?

Or is it something else?

Dive within the darkness…

We’ll go together.

-by Mandeth

Chapter 1

 

Form for me…become one with the darkness… Beckoning with his finger, he sensed his gaze grow bitter as he observed the creature form into a new-fangled being, one of his creations. A ghost of a smile craved onto his pink lips as he gazed in awe.

Dark pools formed and seized the raven black creature to be consumed by the darkness and the silver-haired one lingered nonchalantly as seconds ticked away. His smile began to fade as the creature slowly ascended from the ominous dark pool and the creature gazed at him with piercing acidic orbs of an amber hue. Even though it looked like him…it could never be the true being.

Black despite its amber orbs, with spiky hair and the body of his best friend, the silver-haired boy loathed the very existence of it and contemplated on why he would create such a creature. Was his body lusting for something or was it his heart?

Sauntering over to his creation, the silver-haired one lightly brushed the strands of dark hair stroking the hardness and the jabbing spikes beneath his fingertips. Grimacing with disgust, he jerked away to see the cuts amongst his hand and watched ever-so-slowly as the skin began to patch itself back together as if nothing happened at all. He scowled at the heartless and he experienced a pang of something in his heart. This was so disturbing…he knew he should stop…he knew he should flee from the power he contained within himself, yet it was like a drug…pulling him deeper and deeper until he was avaricious for the answer. Anything...to relieve him from the pain that this power begot on his body day by day. Even the useless witch, realized what kind of power the boy had stored in his prison of a body.

“Sora…” the boy whispered as he stared at the heartless and it raised its head, waiting for a command. “Heartless Sora…how suiting…”

The heartless continued to halt in place, feeling the dark vibrations in his master as his master balled his fists and gazed away as if furious at a non-visible intruder.

But the boy did not budge and didn’t plan to as he banged his left fist against the wall, making his silver hair shuffle to the side. The heartless merely continued to remain idle awaiting his command like an obedient heartless always should. The silver-haired boy shifted his head to gaze upon the heartless once again and the heartless gazed into orbs like its own, only a darker amber. The boy straightened himself up and glanced down at his bloodstained hand and once again scowled, watching as the skin patched itself once again further infuriating the boy. Then as suddenly as the anger came, it was swept away and stored for later as the boy ambled over toward his heartless creation and smirked with his now turquoise orbs.

“Come…” and with that the boy turned and sauntered out of the dark room, the heartless pursuing after.

-----------------------------

He was lounging on a grassy hill top, gazing up at the clouds above and making out shapes of different things. There was a dog…and there was a duck. His lips pulled back into a smile when he saw a rabbit. It was his favorite animal, despite it being frail and small. Rabbits were quick and witty. He guessed he could describe himself like a rabbit. He wasn’t the strongest person out there and he wasn’t the tallest one either, but he made up for it with his quickness and his ability to think ahead and do the right thing. Oh! There goes a tiger!

They were strong and determined, powerful and demanding. Hmmm…that reminded him of Riku. He always was the one to try to take advantage of the situation and he wanted power to beat his opponents, whether it was plain sword fighting with Sora or catching a fish, Riku was always the one to pull through.

Then he observed a flower. It reminded him of Kairi. Pretty and delicate and kind of lazy. He chuckled and closed his eyes as his smile broadened. He missed his friends. He even yearned to be back on Destiny Islands and playing and imagining that they would get off again. Hopefully, Sora would hastily locate them and then they could discover a way back home.

He gradually opened his cobalt blue orbs to find the sky had unexpectedly darkened. His smile became a frown and he glanced around, wondering what had caused it. His gaze once again gazed up into the black and purple sky…wait…purple?

Suddenly, a dark beam shot out from the sky, making Sora shriek and shield his head with his hands.

“Sora…” The familiar voice made Sora tremble uncontrollably, he felt like a frightened insignificant tiny rabbit, “Sora?”

He gradually uncovered his head and glanced up to glimpse silver hair and the back of his best friend. His lips pulled back into a joyous grin and he sprang up. “Riku!”

Exclaiming the other boy’s name, Riku turned ever-so-slowly with a smirk plastered on his handsome face. Riku was wearing an outfit that consisted of gray, red and black with a heartless symbol on his chest. Sora stared at him with a confused expression and Riku’s smirk extended.

“Hello Sora…long time no see…” The silver-haired boy ambled toward him and something in the back of Sora’s mind warned him that this wasn’t right. Riku stopped a mere two feet in front of Sora and the younger boy gazed up into his turquoise orbs.

“Riku? Why are you wearing those clothes? What’s with the heartless sign on your chest?” Sora was definitely confused, but Riku merely turned his back to Sora before speaking.

“Have you ever noticed that the sky when darkened is a beautiful thing?” Sora’s head tilted at Riku’s question before replying.

“No…”

“Ah…” Riku took a few steps to the right and his gaze remained on the gloomy sky. “Have you ever noticed that something so precious and pure can be so tainted?”

“What?” Sora took a step closer to Riku, but Riku only smirked and shook his head.

“That’s what I expected…you indeed have much to learn Sora…”

“Stop talking in riddles Riku!” Sora stomped his foot onto the grassy ground and he crossed his arms in a pout. “What are you talking about?!”

A low chuckle emitted from Riku as he turned to the pouting boy. “You are such a child Sora…” He paused before gazing up at the sky once again. “You have so much to learn and yet…you fail to apprehend the information thrown at you!” Riku’s hand began to sway as he spoke a mere habit that Sora recalled about him. “It just shows how naïve you really are…”

“Why are you being so mean, Riku?” Sora scowled at the other boy, but then averted his gaze away from him as Riku glanced over at the boy with an intent look on his features.

“Because one day you’re going to have to face something and no one is going to take your hand and lead you the way. You’re going to be alone…and you’re going to feel pain you wished you never felt…and the sad thing is…” Riku shook his head with a small smirk, “You’ve already started it…”

A dark black portal sprouted out of the darkness and purple and red energy spat out of it, sending shivers up Sora’s spine. He hugged himself for reassurance and watched as Riku stepped in and disappeared.

Sora felt suddenly, terribly alone…terrified of what Riku was saying even though he understood so little of the conversation.

 

 

“Sora! Wake up!”

As the cinnamon-haired boy heard the thriving voice in his left ear, he rapidly jerked up, and gripping his sheets glanced around the room, frowning. Was it a dream? Where was Riku?

“Gawrsh! It seems Sora had a bad dream!” Sora glanced at the talking dog and his orbs blinked. “Sora are you alright?”

“Aw phooey! He’s fine!” The duck quacked and waved it off with his white wing, “All he needs is to go save some worlds and he’ll be fine!”

“I don’t know Donald…” Goofy frowned and glanced over at his friend. “He is lookin’ pretty pale…”

“I’m fine guys!” Sora inquired, with an enormous grin plastered on his face. His left hand rubbed the back of his neck to get the knots out and he waved it off with his free hand. “Nothing to worry about!”

Sora quickly hopped out of bed and reassured his friends with an extensive smile. “So…what are we going to do today?”

“Well…we have to go see Leon and Yuffie today…” Goofy reminded his two friends, “…and we have to go see that feller Nid!”

“Cid!” Donald corrected him and sighed. “Alright…hurry up Sora so we can leave…” Donald and Goofy ambled out of Sora’s room and closed the door behind them. Sora sighed and allowed his façade to drop. Well…at least they didn’t seem to notice! I’m alright though!

Trailing over toward the dresser with all his clothes, Sora sighed with a frown craved onto his lips. He opened the drawer and remained there, gazing at his normal attire. His shoulders slumped and he felt his heart fall. What was wrong with him?

Grabbing his clothes, Sora closed the drawer with his hip and ambled over toward his bed, placing the clothes upon the bed and silently stripping off his pajamas.

What did Riku mean in my dream? What was he trying to say? What pain will be inflicted on me?

Shedding everything except his boxers, Sora began to dress himself for the day.

Where is Riku? Where is Kairi? Is Riku alright? I miss them…

Done dressing, Sora kicked his clothes to the side to be harvested up later and cast a hand through his locks of spiky cinnamon hair. Well…despite this dream…he was going to have a good day! He would make sure of it!

Glancing around the room for anything he might possibly need, Sora nodded his head for reassurance and placed his hand on the knob of the door. Well…here goes nothing…

With a big smile, Sora opened the door and gazed upon his two friends with their backs turned to him, Sora blinked and silently, he swung the door toward him, but left it open just a tad to eavesdrop on the conversation.

“Do you think Sora’s alright, Donald?” Goofy asked and Sora watched as Donald crossed his arms, and his webbed foot tapped on the floor lightly.

“How should I know?” Donald’s voice interrupted the silence and Sora’s brow rose. “Maybe he’s just having a bad morning…”

“Gawrsh! I don’t know Donald…” Goofy frowned, even though Sora couldn’t notice it. “I really think something is wrong with him…”

“Like what?” Donald demanded and glanced over toward Goofy. “Maybe it’s just a thing he’s going through!”

“I don’t know…but he seems different is all…his eyes…they tell a whole different story…”

“I don’t know what you’re talk about Goofy, but let’s just hope nothing is wrong with him! You know our duty! We are supposed to protect the keyblade master and find King Mickey! We have to get him to save the worlds for everyone’s sake! Then he can change, but right now that’s more important…he’s going to have to forget his feelings and remember his duty!”

Sora silently closed the door and leaned his back against it. So that was all he was…a mere plaything being utilized to assist everyone else…well…what about him?! Why couldn’t someone worry about him? He bit his bottom lip and shook his head. Donald could be mean sometimes…maybe he was having a bad day and he didn’t mean it! Nodding with approval, Sora opened the door once again and smiled, hoping to not give anything away.

“Are you guys ready?” His smile became wider and Donald sighed with relief.

“Finally!” He tapped his weapon against his arm and shook his head. “Sometimes…kids are so slow!” His complaining only further agitated Sora, but Sora only smiling.

“Sora…” Sora glanced over to Goofy, whom was frowning. “Are you alright?”

“Of course he is! He’s the keyblade master! He has to be alright!” Donald interrupted before Sora could even get a word out. Sora nodded in agreement and tilted his head, scratching the back of his head.

“Yeah! I’m fine!”

“Let’s go!” Donald ordered.

So the three strolled off, and Sora suddenly realized…he really was alone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Hi Sora!”

Sora glanced up to meet big brown eyes and a huge grin. Sora smiled. Yuffie always seemed to make everything better. “Hello Yuffie…”

“What’s the matter?” Yuffie’s smile turned upside down into a frown. “Are you sick?”

“No!” Sora chuckled and grinned. “I’m perfectly fine!”

“Good!” She ruffled up his hair with her hand. “We wouldn’t want our keyblade master to feel down now would we?” She grasped his cheeks and squeezed. “No we wouldn’t! Right wittle Sowa? Who’s a good keyblade master, eh? Who’s a good-?”

“Yuffie…” A deep voice interrupted the babying of Yuffie and Yuffie turned to gaze at Leon with a sheepish grin, letting go of Sora’s cheeks. “I was only having fun!”

Leon shook his head and passed his head through his long locks of brown hair. “We’re not here to baby Sora around…he’s the keyblade master not a doll…”

Yuffie sighed and her shoulders began to slump. “But-”

“No ‘buts’ Yuffie…” Leon once again shook his head and then turned his gaze to Sora. “Yuffie…why don’t you go get a few more potions for Sora…I bet he probably needs them.”

“Alright!” Yuffie saluted with her left hand and sprinted out the door, grabbing her weapon along the way. Sora’s gaze averted from Leon’s, but to the door that slammed shut after Yuffie sprinted away.

“We have some important issues to talk about…”

So Sora listened, but his mind was somewhere else and the whole while a heartless shaped like a boy’s best friend, watched him for his master as his master commanded and all the while with a devious grin on its face.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now this is chapter one! How did you like it? There will definitely be some interesting things in chapter two, so please continue reading and REVIEW!! REVIEW!! REVIEW!! Please! ^-^