Fan Fiction ❯ Only a Picture ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Kingdom Hearts, only my poems. Thank you.

 

Author’s Notes: Hello everyone! Thank you for all the wonderful reviews I have received! I’m getting very excited about this story (because you readers are going to be so surprised!). X3 Anyway, back to business…this chapter is a little darker than the others and I actually gave it a name, so I hope you enjoy! ^-^

 

 

 

Chapter 3: Story of a Tear Drop

The pattering of the rain drops

As they descend upon the ground

Weary from their travels from up above

Smacking my face with tiny needles

Of bitter pain…

I call myself a tear drop

Even though I seem okay

Truth to be told…

I’m not as everyone will say

The sorrow in my heart

Could drown me repeatedly

Even though all I want

Is for you to be holding me…

I want to stop this pain

I want to stop it now…

But every time I try…I fail.

Lonely little tear drop…

That’s what they call me…

But when will this lonely tear drop…

Be finally set free?

--By Mandeth

 

-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-

Pain… < p>He could feel it reverberate through his entire slender body. Colossal pain seeped into his head and he attempted to budge his hand to try to alleviate the pain, but the only movement he caused was the twitch of his finger. Unhurriedly, Sora opened his pained cobalt blue orbs and snapped them shut as he groaned from the ache.

“Sora? Wake up you lazy bum!” The familiar giggling pervaded through Sora’s mind. He felt as if he would lose conscious at any moment and he sighed, mutely, hoping to get out of his half-conscious state.

“Come on Sora! You really are a lazy bum…” That voice…it was Kairi…

Sora’s brow rose and his eyes once again opened, slowly. His mouth dropped a tad and a smile tugged at his lips. “Kairi…?”

“Kairi? Are we imagining things again, Sora?”

Sora blinked his cobalt orbs and sighed, laboriously. The voice suddenly changed. It was only Yuffie…

“Y-Yuffie? W-”

“Don’t speak…Donald and Goofy are getting potions now…” Spoke Leon his usual stone-cold orbs of gray-blue gazed upon Sora with worriment, dropping his many masks for just that simple moment…or…until Donald and Goofy got back.

“We got them Leon!” Goofy exclaimed as he closed the door behind him. “Is Sora alright?” Goofy asked and Donald and Goofy dashed over to present Leon the potions, concern filled their eyes and Sora suddenly felt terrible for some anonymous reason. He made everyone worry over him. “Sora! You’re awake!” They shouted in unison and Leon glared at them, his masks back up.

“He’ll be fine after we give him these potions…then he’ll rest.” He turned to everyone in the room and sighed. “Why don’t you guys go home? I’ll take care of him…”

Yuffie smiled and nodded as she waved to the half-conscious Sora. “Feel better Sora! I’ll check on you tomorrow!” She ambled out the door with another wave to everyone in the room and disappeared as the door closed behind her. Donald and Goofy glanced over to one another and Goofy smiled, walking over toward Sora.

“You get plenty of rest Sora…no sad faces okay?” Sora’s lips twitched into a ghost of a smile and Goofy nodded, contently. Donald waddled up to Sora on the bed and frowned.

“Goodbye Sora…we’ll see you tomorrow…” With that they began to pace toward the door, turning back to gaze at Sora then back to the door as they trudged out and closed the door behind them.

There was an immediate silence as Sora closed his eyes from the pain jabbing at his body. A fatigued groan escaped the boy’s lips and as he was drifting to sleep, he felt a cool hand upon his forehead, snapping him away from slumber. “L-Leon?”

“Shh…” He allayed Sora and sighed. “Open your mouth…”

Sora complied and felt a warm substance drift down his throat as he swallowed whatever it was. It tasted sweet, but tangy, maybe a little spicy? He couldn’t describe it in his state of mind, but it was pretty good.

After there was no more, Sora felt the pain beginning to flow away and he sighed, contently. Turning his back to Leon, Sora slid his arm under the pillow his head rested on and hugged it as if it were a person. Drifting off into sweet slumber, with Leon all the while watching him with a rare smile plastered on his lips.

How could this kid be the Keyblade master? Why wasn’t he chosen for the job?

Hmm…

Frowning, Leon permitted his hand to drift down the slumbering boy’s cheek, feeling the scratches embedded in the skin and he grimaced. The kid was merely a boy…who would want to damage something so chaste?

Shaking his head, Leon yanked his hand away and began to massage his temples. There were so many questions…not enough answers. Sora even seemed so peaceful when he slept, despite all the scratches and bruises on his tan slender body. Who could bring so much pain to him…?

And for once in his life…he knew he cared for someone, despite his cool demeanor.

Me? Care for the little squirt? I care for no one…not ever since…

Willing the painful thoughts away as they progressively began to pervade through his mind and remind him of his past; Leon took in a deep breath and exhaled, averting his gaze away from the boy sleeping in front of him.

“Whatever…” he whispered as he stood from the chair that he planted himself into and ambled into the kitchen, clearly missing the shadow that lingered in the corner with a devious grin.

Master will be pleased…

The Heartless’ grin became a smirk as it tip-toed toward the sleeping boy and grasped the crown necklace that dangled from the tanned boy’s neck. With a swift motion, it ripped it from the boy’s neck, roughly and smiled as the tanned boy screamed awakening from his slumber.

The Heartless snapped its head to the sudden footsteps pounding on the floor boards from a distance and it smirked as a tall man with locks of brown hair appeared, gunblade in his hand. The Heartless stared at the shocked steel gray-blue orbs and suddenly a dark pool began to engulf its form.

It disappeared before the brunette could fire.

 

-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-

What? It can’t be…! HOME!

The beautiful white sand was beneath his feet and the noisy waves were crashing into rocks off in the distance. The sun was shining presenting everything with a healthy golden glow as it began to sink in the sky. The palm trees swayed to and fro as if beckoning Riku to explore further. Riku turned to Maleficent, who was gazing straight ahead, impassively.

“The darkness will give you anything Riku…” Maleficent began monotonous, indicating with her arm in a wide arc to present the little island to Riku. “It is you that must choose if you will let the darkness help you.”

The words entered in one ear and out the other as Riku dashed off, exploring the island that ever since now was only in his dreams. A serene breeze puffed by, disheveling Riku’s gleaming silver locks. The boy rounded the corner and darted up the wooden stairs, his laughter began to echo as he plunged into the secret cave’s entrance and the warmth of the damp cave enveloped his slender, but muscular form. His mouth became suddenly dry as he gazed upon the pictures that were drawn by the kids of the island (but mostly it was drawn by Riku, Sora and Kairi). His lips curved into a smile as he recognized the picture of Knight Sora on top of the world, ‘the one who will save the day…’ That was drawn by none other than Riku and Sora themselves. Sora drew the world and Riku drew Sora in his shining knight armor. They (meaning Sora, Kairi and Riku) used to play Knights and Villains and Sora was always the Knight and Riku the Villain…there goes the irony again.

He glimpsed the white-chalked ghost on the wall and continued to smile. That was when seven year old Sora had a daunting nightmare and he proceeded to Riku’s house in the middle of the night and scrambled up the vine-ladder into his room (they both lived next door) and woke up the little Riku.

“Ri! RI?! Wake up! Riku!”

The familiar voice of his best friend whispered his nickname into his ear and went out the other as his petite body rolled over, back facing his weeping friend. His jade orbs snapped open as Sora shook his body.

“Ri?! Ri! Riku?”

“What Sora?!” He snapped, twisting his body to gaze upon Sora and his eyes softened as jade met cobalt blue. He propped himself on his tiny elbows and tilted his head to the side, his hair tousled. “Sor? What’s wrong Sora?”

“Riku…” Sora sniffled, embracing Mr. Rabbit, the plush rabbit he always slept with and Riku watched his best friend quivering with fear. “Ri…the shadows came in-into my d-dream a-again…”

A frown adorned his small pink lips and Riku ruffled his best friend’s hair in an attempt to assuage Sora’s fears. “Hey, Sor…it’s okay!” Riku smiled and began to stroke the unruly spikes that Sora dubbed his hair. “How about we go on an adventure?”

“Really?!” Sora beamed, plopping himself on the navy carpeted floor besides Riku’s bedside and Riku’s head bobbled.

“Sure! You and me can go to Destiny Island and play Good guys and Bad guys! We’ll be the good guys and the bad guys will be the shadows!” As Riku explained, Sora’s lips twitched into an adorable excited grin and Riku couldn’t help, but feel cheerful for wrestling away his friend’s fears.

“So are you ready?” Riku concluded and Sora hopped up, clinging to Mr. Rabbit. “Is Mr. Rabbit coming with us too?”

“Yeah! Just think, Ri! You, me and Mr. Rabbit on an adventure!” Sora chirped and skipped around the room, his baby blue pajamas with ducks on the bottoms, swaying to and fro as he went. “Ri and Sor! Off on another adventure!” In a sing-song voice, Sora made up a little chant as Riku rolled out of bed.

“Ri and Mr. Rabbit will beat the enemies with me!

He’ll fight the battles far and wide and help the women at the same time!

Ri and Sor and Mr. Rabbit off to save the day once again!

Yay! Yay! Yay!”

After Sora’s chanting, Riku shook his head and gave Sora a ‘what-was-that?’ look, which provoked Sora to continue singing. Riku smiled and cast his small pale hand through his short silver locks. Shaking his head, Riku rested his slender finger on his lips to motion for Sora to quiet himself, which Sora complied rather quickly. With an apologetic smile, Sora grinned a cute little grin and Riku brushed past him toward his closet to fetch their wooden swords. Grasping them in his hand, Riku flung Sora’s wooden sword toward his best friend and Sora caught it in mid-air, pumping up the other hand which carried Mr. Rabbit into the air in triumph. Shaking his head, Riku grabbed a flashlight before he closed his closet door and ambled, mutely over to his window, motioning for Sora to follow.

So they descended down the vine-ladder and ventured their way to Destiny Island, taking Riku’s boat and sailing over there. As they stepped onto the sand beneath there feet, Riku rose his sword and motioned for Sora to follow him, which Sora complied and clung to Mr. Rabbit, slightly holding up his wooden sword in defense. Riku shook his head and unhurriedly pressed on, traveling toward the secret cave’s entrance for safety and he unexpectedly turned, frightening Sora in the process and Riku chuckled, causing Sora to giggle pushing his fears to the side and raising his sword with a determined expression on his face.

“Are you ready Sor?” Riku whispered and Sora nodded his head, mutely. “Alright…this is the shadows’ lair…if we beat them here…they’ll be gone for good!”

“Alright Ri! Let’s do it!” Sora watched as Riku crawled into the dark cave and he followed after. The younger boy wondered why he was always the weak one…why was he always the one needing Riku?

Riku turned the flashlight on and pointed it around the cave, frowning at all the pictures that Kairi and Sora drew without him. Sighing, Riku halted the flashlight on two rocks beside a spot where there was an empty spot for drawing.

“I have an idea Sor!” Riku sauntered over toward the wall and grabbed a rock, angling the flashlight so he could make out the wall in front of him. “Come draw a picture with me!”

“Okay Ri!” Sora skipped over and squealed childishly, dropping his sword and clinging to Mr. Rabbit. “What are we drawing?”

“Ghosts, Shadows and a haunted Mansion.”

So they drew their creations and by the time they finished, both boys were slumbering beside each other all the while both of them clutched onto Mr. Rabbit, who blankly stared at the cave’s ceiling.

 

Shoulder’s slumping; Riku let out a sorrowful sigh and ran a hand through his silver hair. Why were memories so haunting after awhile? Shaking his head, Riku grazed his eyes onto the other drawings and spotted one by the door. That’s right…that wooden oak door that appeared out of no where…it was still here…

Venturing over, Riku inspected the picture by the door and held an immediate frown plastered on his pink lips. What was this?

The face of Sora with a small on his chalked face…the other person had to be Kairi…there was no other guess. He could feel his anger ignite as he saw a star heading in the direction of Kairi’s face. Riku’s hands fist into a sphere and he sensed the hairs on his neck erect. Why was this picture so distressing!? Why couldn’t he be in anything? Why was he always the one babysitting his friends like a mother hen? Or even if he did watch over them…why wasn’t he included in anything?

Stop whining Riku…what is wrong with me? Why do I care so much about him…? Yes…he was my best friend, but…

Scowling at the picture in front of him, Riku jumped at the hand that snaked onto his shoulder and he snapped his head toward the intruder. The witch stood beside him, her gaze only on him and Riku felt his body shaking. What was wrong with him?

“Riku…” The shrewd witch whispered his name and Riku averted his gaze away, staring vacantly at the picture. His mind reeling with unknown emotions. “You feel angered at this picture?”

Anger…

“Yes…” Riku hissed and his body tensed.

“You feel something for the girl…or maybe…the boy?”

Feel…?

“I-”

“Resentment perhaps?”

Resentment…

“Or is it something else?” Smirking, Maleficent pat the young boy’s arm and began to form a devious grin. “Something deep within you…something that you push away…”

Deep…push away?

“Wha-” Gazing upon the picture his heart began to beat rapidly and a blush tented his cheeks. “Are you saying…I love him?”

“Ah…only you would know…”

Love…?

-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0 -

 

His sapphire blue eyes opened to gaze out at the water that surrounded the Island he dubbed his play Island and he smiled, hugging himself and asking himself why he was alone on such a lovely day! The sun was beaming up in the sky like a flashlight in a dark cave and the rays enveloped his slender form and filled his body with their warmth. His short legs were stretched before him and he propped himself on the palm of his hands, gazing out at the sea. He ran a small hand through his short locks of brown spikes and he clutched Mr. Rabbit to his chest.

Where were Riku and Kairi?

“Sora!” As on cue, Sora turned to gaze at Kairi who was smiling at him with her hands clasped behind her back. Her small pale face was tilted to the side, cutely and she bounced on the balls on her feet. “Wanna go play in the secret place?”

Sora blinked a few times and tilted his head in question. “Where is Riku?”

Kairi shrugged and her eyes widened with innocence. “I don’t know Sora…come on! Please?” Her bottom lip puffed out in a pout and Sora smiled nodding. She squealed and pulled him up and dragged him to the secret place’s entrance. The coolness of the damp cave felt good on the children’s skin as they entered and Kairi skipped over to two rocks. Bending down she grasped one in her hand and Sora ambled over, mimicking what she did, Mr. Rabbit still in his hand.

“Okay Sora! Draw the person you like the most on the Island!” Kairi began as she giggled with a hand over her lips. “Okay?”

Sora blinked and shrugged wondering what the big deal was…she should know his favorite person on the Island! It was Riku!

So they began to draw, Kairi drawing Sora and Sora drawing Riku with his mouth open in a huge smile that he dreamed to see one day. Grazing the rock against the wall, Sora drew the hair and Kairi squealed dropping her rock to the ground and embracing Sora.

“It looks just like me!” She giggled and a premature blush tented her cheeks. “I can’t believe you like me the most!” She bounced up and skipped around the cave as if she was Selphie. Sora, being the kind of kid not to let anyone down just grinned and rubbed the back of his head. “Uh-huh…”

“Come on! Let’s go play something else!” Grabbing Sora’s small tan hand, Kairi dragged him away from the picture. Sora blinked and sighed. What was he going to do now? What would he tell Riku…?

 

“Riku!”

Jolting up, Sora quickly regretted he ever even woke up and groaned from sheer pain. Weakly placing his hand around his neck, Sora rubbed it and felt a burning pain. Gasping he searched for his necklace and his eyes widened. It was gone!

Riku gave that to me…my necklace…

Sensing tears begin to burn his eyes, Sora heard a deep grunt come from the corner and noticed Leon gazing at him with distress. Leon trudged over and shook his head, handing Sora a potion bottle, Sora feebly reached for the bottle and sighed as he put it to his lips and drunk the contents inside, all the while tears cascading down his cheeks. Feeling the warmth in his veins, Sora held the empty bottle in both of his hands.

“It’s gone…”

Jumping off the bed, Sora let out a cry and darted toward the door only to be held back by a powerful hand on his arm. Twisting his body to snarl in rage at the brunette that held him back, Sora was crushed into Leon’s chest and the bottle slipped out of his hand, colliding with the wooden floor boards. Sora flinched and pushed away from Leon, running out the door and sliding in the mud as rain poured down on his slender form. Scurrying away from the house, Sora slipped and slid through the mud, dying his clothes brown and his face was caked with the gunk. Searching for any sign of his necklace, Sora fell for the last time to the ground and laid the side of his face in a puddle of mud, tears and mud mixing together in his face. Sora clutched his hair and wept feeling the cold needles of rain pounding on his back.

I’m so sorry Riku…I lost it…the last thing that you gave me…my favorite thing in the whole world…you told me to keep it with me forever…I promised…and…now it’s gone…and so are you…gone with the darkness like I saw you in that stupid whale…you’re gone…

…and I failed…you…

 

-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-

Chapter 3 done! Now the plot moves along right? ^__^ Now future chapters will only get darker and darker…and I there will be suicide…I know I didn’t warn anyone about this, but I was thinking about it and it is part of the story so I think it is necessary. Anyway, on a lighter note REVIEW!! REVIEW!! REVIEW!!