Fan Fiction ❯ Over The Phone ❯ One-Shot

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Ok, this isn't like my other stories. This can be taken a few different ways. This has actual occurances in it, but not all of them are. This has real people in it. My best friend's name is Kaitlin (which is where I got Kate), one of my friend's is Heather, and I know this guy named James but we call him Trey (his middle name). My name's Rebecca. The end was supposed to have a bit of a chill to it, and was supposed to be about suicide...however, I suck at angst. Therefore, it could very well be moving. *shrugs*


On the Telephone

(this is mostly over the phone...yeah. And when Becca talks, she won't have a "she said" or something afterwards)

RING! RING! RING!

"Hello?" Katherin (aka: Kate) answered the phone. She glanced at the clock. It was 4:30pm.

"Hey, Kate. Just called to talk," her best friend Becca answered in a bubbly voice.

"Sounds like you had chocolate," Kate replied.

"Naturally."

"Had a feeling. Sooooo, what's up?" Kate asked, knowing that she was most likely going to get a smart-ass reply.

"Nothing. Hey, remember when we went on that Spanish field trip?"

Wow. No smart-ass. But where the heck did that come from? "Yeah, but what brought that up?"

"I just saw the sugar packets I smuggled outta there."

"Oh...kay. Well, we had a blast," Kate recalled, snickering at the memory.

"Yeah, we got all sugared up and started singing really off key while everyone else was at the party...and Heather put water in my soda. *fake sob* I had to get a new one!"

"That was fun. And remember that party I had in my basement with the popcorn?" Kate started to get into this. She was laughing and could tell Becca was too.

"Yeah, that was flippin' awesome! And the burping contest. That was rich."

"Yeah. Good times, good times." Kate kept on laughing at the memories of the stupidity they all encountered.

"And I fell down your stairs! Remember that, remember that?"

"Yeah, you almost fell on top of Heather. I really need to move that couch," Kate said, seriously considering it. There HAD been a lot of accidents concerning that thing...

"Uh-huh. Have you gotten that stain out of your carpet yet?"

"Nope, it's still there. It looks like someone was doing something they shouldn't've!" Kate laughed.

"That's what marshmallows do after someone licks it, drops it, and later steps on it."

"Yeah, good thing my mom saw it happen, otherwise..." Kate let that sentence linger so that Becca, the naturally more sadistic one, could come up with a suitable punishment.

"We'd be dead, buried, and done with a closed-casket funeral because she clawed out our eyes. But hey, it almost always works out in the end. Like that time when we went to Florida? Remember?"

"Yeah, your mom was laughing so hard. Your sister was making jokes about us and those boys though." Kate remembered the incident. She and Becca had been having a race and ran over these two boys. The two of them were just so graceful.

"She always does that with all guys I meet, by coincidence or on purpose."

"Becca and Ja-ames-" Kate began to taunt.

"Silence! GAH! That makes me so angry!"

"I know. That's why we do it." She loved teasing Becca about her best guy friend.

"I growl at you. You live to peeve."

"Indeed I do," Kate agreed and nodded, even though she knew Becca couldn't tell.

"What about the time I flew down the stairs at school?"

"Literally flew. Who did you land on again?" Kate remembered but Becca was having fun so hell with spoiling it.

"That dude...y'know, that always changed between the 'fro and dreads?"

"Oh, yeah. My mom says hi and...asks if you want a pickle..." She was NOT going to start with that. She respected that her mother and friend were lunatics.

"Howdy, and hell yeah! Pickles are the awesomestestestest...ness..."

"So you, Beck," Kate couldn't help but comment.

"I'm so graceful!"

"Like that of a .5 year old (actually point-five)," she snickered.

"Indeed."

"Hey, I gotta go to dinner. I'll call you when I'm done, 'kay?" Kate said. She could hear Becca sigh.

"Sure, just call beofre 8:30."

"Yeah, yeah. Later." Kate didn't think anything of the 8:30 thing. It's kinda been a rule for while now. She had no idea why.

"Buh-bye."

After hearing the click that signals that somebody hung up, Kate put her phone down, too. She then walked into the dining room and sat down. "Alright! DUMPLINGS!"

"Now, hold your horses, Katie. Let your gramma and grampa get in here first," her mother told her, rolling her eyes. Kate retracted her hand from the serving spoon. Once the grandparents got in and all that jazz, they stuffed their faces. They were just laughing and having a good time. Once she was done, Kate went back into her room and picked up her phone. She then dialed Becca's number.

brrrrrrrrnnnng....brrrrrrrrrnnnnng.....brrrrrrnnnnnnng....

"It's 7:46 in the hilly city!"

"Hi, Becca." Kate was actually pretty used to this greeting, with the appropriate time anyway. Sometimes, she just called to see what time it was.

"Howdy. Now where were we?"

"You mentioned falling on the 'fro-slash-dreadlock dude," Kate reminded her.

"Oh, yeah...he squished my cupcake."

"Poor, defenseless cupcake. Ah, well." Kate shrugged and had a feeling Becca knew that she did it.

"Yeah, I'll get over it. Soooooo, what did you do today?"

"Nothing." Ooh, she just set herself up for something smart-ass-y.

"You'd be dead and nonexistent if you did 'nothing'."

"Fine, I did nothing of interest to you," Kate answered, tired of this course of conversation.

"That's better. Oh, I heard these two girls talking today."

"And...?" Kate would rather listen to her rant than listen to everything and nothing all at the same time.

"One of them was claiming to know Japanese. She supposedly had the alphabet. There is no "l" or "c" in Japanese save for the "ch" syllables, and "v" exists only in Katakana and is not used often. It angered me. Plus, it's not just a letter. It's not "m", it "ma", "me", "mu", "mi", or "mo". Jeez!"

"...are you done having your rant now?" Kate was almost afraid of Becca when she was like that.

"Yes."

"Good. So, what was the purpose of this call? Just to annoy me?" Kate joked.

"No."

"Then what?" Kate was getting nervous from how serious she just sounded. it wasn't like her.

"I just called to say good bye."

Kate's eyes widened as the line went dead. She looked at the clock...8:30.