Fan Fiction ❯ Spirit of the Dragon (part II) ❯ Lurker ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Three

Prince Acanthus seemed subdued for the rest of the journey home. Crowe watched him up ahead of her; he sat hunched in the saddle as he cradled his splinted arm. She tried not to gasp, whenever she saw him in the light. But he had been badly beaten, as was evident in the bruises all over his body and the black eye he sported. Poor Acanthus. Rono had never admitted to the travesty, and Acanthus was too proud to expose his predator, but Crowe knew it was him. And this knowledge tore her up inside. How could she continue to love someone who had done this? Then again…Acanthi spoke of revenge. Perhaps Rono only thought he was helping her.

The quiet young prince was swaying now, and then his body swung too far to the left, as if he might fall right out of the saddle. In a panic, Crowe kicked Nightingale forward and pulled to a screeching halt in time to catch him by the elbow. He blinked and looked at her, as if he had awoken from some daydream and chose now to return to the earth.

"Are you alright?" Crowe asked, pushing his slumping figure upright.

"Fine." He snapped, although she guessed the anger wasn't aimed at her. Instead of giving him a haughty response, she waited at a standstill, choosing to ignore the rest of the procession that was forced to stop behind them. Before them, the rest of the Rose Cavalry drifted away through the towering trees.

"Are you sure?"

"I said I was fine." He nudged Moonstruck foreword to get away from her.

Crowe gave a little huff of annoyance. Why was he being difficult all of the sudden? She tried not to let his foul mood get to her, but he kept speeding up whenever she attempted an approach. It became a challenge to remain pleasant.

So stubborn. Crowe eventually gave up on the boy and settled in behind him again. This was not what she needed right now. So Acanthus was angry…What about?

Out of the corner of her eye she saw Oxalis approaching. He came up on her left, Canyon's hooves clip-clopping through the dirt beside her.

"You look troubled." He said.

"Acanthus…" Crowe frowned at the youth a few lengths in front of her. "He's in a mood."

"He often is, that one."

"Really? I didn't…I didn't really think so."

Oxalis turned his head to look at her. "I should redress my words: He often was. Before you came here." Crowe didn't want to know what that meant, but he went on. "It seems he is quite taken with you, milady."

Crowe shifted uncomfortably. "You must be mistaken." She feared he might press the issue further, but instead he tactfully changed the subject.

"So Lethris…" Crowe's ears perked up at the name.

"What about him?" She inquired innocently. But she knew Oxalis must suspect something. She had done everything but shout out to the world how she despised the blond-haired lord.

"What do you think of him?"

Crowe shrugged. I hate him. I hate him and I don't know why. "He seems a little…" She lowered her voice. "A little arrogant."

"Ah yes…" Oxalis' tone was that of understanding. "But it is to be expected of a man who inherited the wealth of Cedar."

"Acanthus isn't like that. And he's a prince."

"True…" Oxalis agreed. "But my liege is a rare breed. An amiable king-to-be if ever there was one."

Crowe glanced up at Acanthus again. He looked so weak now. So weary. "It hurts me to see him this way."

"He will get by. He grows stronger with manhood. But his heart…" Oxalis did not finish. Instead he pulled to a halt as Acanthus did the same.

"What is it, milord?" Oxalis questioned the youth.

Acanthus glanced over his left shoulder to avoid looking at Crowe. "There was a noise in a brush." He sounded a little alarmed.

"What sort of noise?"

"Someone was walking."

Crowe shuddered involuntarily. Suddenly she felt a chill, like the feeling one gets when unknown eyes are watching from afar.

"Do you think one of your friends is following us?" Acanthus demanded of her.

Crowe squinted her eyes at him, feeling irritated. "No. I saw them leave. Goddess! I am so sick of everyone-"

"Perhaps it was an animal." Oxalis cut in before she could finish her rant.

"That is what I suspected at first, but I heard it before. Early morn."

"Well, it is gone now whatever it was." Lord Oxalis put in. "All we can do is keep on our guard."

"Should we tell the others?" Acanthi wondered.

"It would only cause panic." Was the reply.

"So we will wait." The prince did not sound thrilled.

That night, Crowe was alone by one of the campfires. She felt exhausted. Tired from the journey and tired of Acanthus' bitter mood.

She sat silently, drifting away from the present moment. The flames writhed in the darkness, tongues of hot amber. She was trying to ignore the feeling that someone was still watching her from behind the trees.

"Crowe." The voice startled her into a yelp. It was only Kaiden.

The boy took a seat beside her. That was unusual. She had hardly seen him the entire journey home, let alone ever talked to him outside of the infirmary.

"What is it?" Her voice revealed her surprise.

"He does not try to be this way."

Crowe sighed. She should have expected as much. "Well he'd better stop it soon, because I don't like being ignored."

"That is understandable."

"Rono used to do that when he was mad at me. I hated it. He never told me what was wrong either. He just pouted, waiting for me to figure it out."

"That does not sound pleasant."

"No, and I despise the fact that Acanthi does the same. It is disheartening. Maybe Lethris was right. I should just go back to Gardroth where I belong."

Kaiden blinked at her. "He said that to you?"

"Not exactly. But he certainly gave the implication."

"That is…that is a little boorish."

"Ya think?" Crowe realized that her encounter with Lethris had been bothering her for days. It felt good to get it off her chest.

"Well, I hope you do not take heed to his words. Many people would be dreary in your absence. Especially my Prince. He is beguiled by you, my lady."

"So everyone keeps telling me. But you would not know by the way he acted today."

"He can be…difficult, I know. I have been his friend for many years." Kaiden looked curious. "Which is why I wonder for him whether you feel the same?"

Crowe reddened. "Would this get back to him?"

"Only if you want it to." Somehow she trusted the boy.

"It is not entirely…unfeasible." Crowe admitted.

"Really?"

"Your Prince is a good man."

"He would be good to you." Kaiden agreed. "He would give you the world and his heart to go with it."

There was something appealing about those words. So much so that it caused her to blush again. "I know it and it pleases me, but do not tell him I said so."

"You have my word." Somehow in a scrap of time, the two of them had become far closer. They had shared something. A secret bound in trust. "My lady?" He looked over at her in the flickering light, and for a moment she was far older than the young woman she was. She became a queen, sage and admirable and noble as the sun. He meant to go on, but her imperial presence dulled his voice to a broken whisper.

"What is it, Kaiden?" The authority in those simple words was unmistakable. And he knew what she was; he knew what she was destined to be.

He struggled to regain himself: "I would get some rest, milady. We head out early as to reach the castle `fore eventide."

"Alright then. Goodnight."

"Goodnight." As he stood, he gave her a subtle bow. Then he departed into the trees. Crowe sat for a time after, confused by his actions. Then weariness hit her body, and she curled up in her blankets. In light of recent events, she had forgotten to keep on her guard. So she slept, blissfully unaware of the eyes that watched her from the wood.