Fan Fiction ❯ Spirit of the Dragon ❯ Kale ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Eighteen

She sat beneath a silken blanket, staring in disbelief at the creation in her arms. Her body was aching and she felt depleted, but she also felt an overwhelming sense of felicity. He's here at last, and he's well. Crowe had been so scared for him. But now he was safely in her arms, blinking up at her with the brightest blue eyes she had ever seen. He is absolutely beautiful. Ido fon kaleth. It was not until Acanthus entered, that she realized tears were pouring down her face.

"Look at him." She whispered. The baby gurgled, and she gave a broken laugh. He looked like Rono, with his hair as black as night, and that stubborn little smile. But he had her eyes, although they were much more vibrant.

"I cannot believe you have a child." For a moment, it sounded as though he had known her forever. "How do you feel?"

She shook her head, "I can't explain it." Her face was damp with tears. "I feel tired and exhausted and sore, but I also feel…wonderful."

Acanthus observed that everyone had cleared out of the room. So he dared to let his barriers down for just a moment. His eyes misted over. "What shall you call him?"

"I think…Kale. It is from the Gardrothian word for beautiful." Crowe finally looked up at Acanthus. "Stand any farther away, and you'll be out the door."

He took the hint and sat beside her on the bed. Kale made a noise at him.

"I think he likes you." Crowe smiled. "Do you want to hold him?"

"I-I do not know how." Acanthus flushed. "Perhaps that is not such a-" She ignored his protests and lifted Kale into the prince's arms. He reached out dumbly and caught him. Kale made a noise that sounded almost like a laugh. Then Kale reached up to him, grasping his finger with a tiny hand.

"It seems the great Prince Acanthus is a natural with children." Crowe said to him. "You'll make a good father someday."

"You think so?" Acanthus grinned in spite of himself. "He really is amazing." Then those big blue eyes closed, and Kale settled to rest against his chest. "He certainly grows on you."

Crowe let out a satisfied sigh and leaned her head upon Acanthus' shoulder. The logical part of her said she was making this harder on herself. But the other part…Acanthus reached out a free hand to touch her cheek, smoothing away her tears.