Fan Fiction ❯ Spirit of the Dragon ❯ Freedom's Flame ( Chapter 23 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Twenty Three

How long had it been? Acanthus lay in silent misery. The aftereffects of the earlier sorcery had finally left him, and he could see clearly again without headaches or red clouds around his sight, but now he was suffering from the pain of his beating.

Horrible. He had heard his men speak of such things, in hushed frightened whispers. Some old veterans couldn't even mention these experiences without choking up in fear. But never had their stories hinted the true atrocity of his ordeal.

There was not a part of him that didn't ache.

Where did you go, Spirit? Why did you leave me when I needed you the most?

His silent enquiry received no reply, and he felt utterly and completely alone.

Once again, piercing light filled the room as Avesta entered. He marveled over whether she brought some of that with her.

Her gasp of horror verified what he already knew; that he was a broken mess.

"Poor fah. Ime so sorry…" She knelt beside him, poring over his wounds. "Da duxe hess gone too farr."

He was listening, but her voice came from somewhere far away. It was as if he were no longer there, in his body. This concept should have disturbed him, but he accepted it with a kind of peace.

Avesta pawed at his arm, and the intensity of the pain brought him rushing back again. He let out a yell.

"Eet ess broh-ken." She said calmly. "Poor, poor fah." The woman set to work mending him the best she could. Acanthus was grateful for her sympathy.

When she was finished, she reluctantly left him. The door shut, leaving him once again in the darkness. This time it was welcomed, and he fell into a deep sleep.

He awoke to someone grabbing him, sitting him up as he writhed in protest.

"Unhand me!" He did not like this sudden change, and his aggressor was not being kind to his wounds.

"Shhh! Be quiet!" Someone familiar hissed. "Unless you want to get us both killed!"

"Kaiden!" Never had Acanthus been so happy to hear his voice.

"I said be quiet." Kaiden had something sharp in his hands, and he struck it against the chains at the prince's feet. They gave a delightful ring and broke.

"How did you get out?"

"That sorceress."

"Avesta?"

"Yes well, she left my door unlocked, and I wasn't chained like you."

"Oh." Acanthus was pulled to his feet, and he staggered dizzily for a moment.

"Fenris fangs, milord, you look like hell."

"I feel like hell." He slumped against his friend's shoulder, unable to stand on his own. "How do you propose we escape?" Searing pain made it difficult to concentrate, but there was time for self-pity later.

"I'm not exactly certain…" Kaiden admitted sheepishly.

"Well, I suppose there is no use in waiting here. Where did you get that axe?"

"Found it in the hall." Kaiden swished it through the air. "Do you think that sorceress left it? I got the impression she wasn't entirely against me."

"Maybe." Acanthus looked down at his right arm which was bound in a splint. "Quite possibly."

Two shadowy figures made their way down the narrow hall. The only light source was a torch wedged in a metal-rimmed hollow.

"Where are we?" Kaiden whispered.

"Betony's citadel." His prince replied. "I have been here before." A prince has always been somewhere before.

"Do you know which way?"

Acanthus pointed weakly with his unsplinted arm. "Just up ahead, there is an exit…" He faltered and Kaiden caught him.

"Are you okay?"

"I have…been better. But I can get by for now. Thank the gods for adrenaline." He limped foreword a few paces, and stopped, gasping as he pressed his hand to a solid wooden door. "This is it, I think." Beads of perspiration trickled down to his neck. He was far more winded than he should've been.

"Prince?" Kaiden sounded concerned.

Acanthus was staring at the black iron knob, but it warped and swam before his eyes. He closed them, shutting out the image. It continued to sweep through his body in nauseating waves.

"Hold on, Acanthus."

The Spirit? How dare you come to me now. Where were you in that cell? Where were you outside of Betony?

"I don't like black magic. It hurts me, Acanthus."

Ah, so you are not an invincible being as you would have me believe.

"That is true. I am very much real. But I am here now. You have to stay awake, Acanthus. Otherwise you'll slip into unconsciousness. And your body is too damaged to let you awaken."

Oh what does it matter? Acanthus demanded angrily. I saw Ronori. How can Crowe not be over him?

"You're not thinking, Acanthus. What have I been telling you? She is nothing but Gardrothian trash. Forget about her."

She is not what you say! How dare you speak of her that way!

"I have known hundreds of Gardrothians, and none of them decent."

Well then she is the exception.

The Spirit gave a wavering sigh. "Fine, Acanthus. Because you respect her I will try and do the same. But I do not like this fetish of yours."

Will you help me or not?

"You know the answer."

"Prince? Sir Prince?" Kaiden was tugging on his sleeve. "Please tell me you're alright!"

"This door is locked." Acanthus croaked, moving back. "Take care of it."

An obedient axe swung out to strike wood; it splintered and Kaiden struck it again. Guards should've been there in an instant, but no one came as the squire hacked away. When his work was done, he remained there for a moment, as if he could not believe they were free.

Acanthus stared at the gaping hole in fascination. He could see the musty gray of sky, overlooking a sloping landscape lost in slumber. Faint light creeping across the ever-reaching ocean foreshadowed the dawn. This scene framed Kaiden's silhouette as he cautiously stepped outside.

"Coast is clear." Said Acanthus' companion. "Come on." Sturdy hands pulled him through, and he found himself standing at the edge of a cliff, with nothing between him and the water but a broken piquet fence. He leaned against it absently as the scent of salt filled his nostrils.

"Where is everyone?" Kaiden wondered, walking downwards while his prince basked in freedom. "Shouldn't there have been guards or something? Or at least a sentry…" He peered blindly through the dim light. "Do you think they've gone?"

"No." Acanthus could see the Gardrothian ships. They bobbed in waiting by the docks below. "My guess is that something has distracted them." He closed his eyes as a breeze kissed his face. "And I think I know what that something is."

"We should help them!" In his anxiousness, Kaiden forgot his prince's condition, and started to run down the island mountain.

"I do not suppose you would care to aid me?" Acanthus said, but it was good-naturedly, for he had felt death's cold grip and kicked it away. Now he came to realize how much he loved the ocean. It was a beautiful stretch of blue mystery.

"O-of course." Kaiden was embarrassed, and returned to him.

They slowly followed the descending pathway until it brought them to a mossy embankment. It housed a clear pool of water, which acted as a stepping stone between an upper and lower waterfall. There was a narrow rounded bridge across its center. Acanthus recognized this place.

"We are almost there." He told Kaiden. They could already hear the faint cries of battle. Unnatural colors were bouncing off the trees.

When the pair reached the other side, there was a wall of sorcerers blocking the path, but their backs were turned.

Clear a path for me. The ember fluctuated until it was a flame, and he felt that flame drip from his fingertips like molten lava. It followed the road, collecting and expanding and picking up speed as it shot downward, the way a rolling ice pebble might accumulate snow. It hit the first mage and he yelled and ran. When the others turned to see what had caused the commotion, they were yelling and running as well.

Kaiden watched his prince voicelessly. More sweat was forming on the man's face than usual, and he looked as though he were struggling to stand. The flames had drained his last ounce of energy.

Acanthus was able to watch his fire hit its destination before he passed out. He went down smiling, because he knew the Drunesmerrians had won this one.

*****

(This is the end of Part I)