Fan Fiction ❯ The Soul Reaver and The Spirit Shield ❯ Meridian ( Chapter 34 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Thirty-Four

"Allow me to introduce myself. Raziel spoke the truth upon addressing me. For I am none other than the vampire Kain."

Jenise gave the master vampire a long scrutinizing stare. She glanced momentarily at Raziel, his nod confirming Kain's claim to his identity. Her eyebrow quirked as she tried to figure out the possibility of two Kain's existing during the same time. Time. That was the answer.

"You, too, have come from the distant future, then. As Raziel has?" the priestess's statement trailed into a question towards the end. She was almost certain she was correct with her assumption, but found herself hesitant to make any conclusions.

Kain nodded an affirmation. "You are a very clever girl. I now see why Raziel has chosen to form an alliance with a Sarafan priestess."

"Former Sarafan," she corrected, with a finalizing tone. Kain's eyebrow furrowed slightly at her claim, but he chose not to challenge the priestess.

"Tell me, Kain. Why is it that you have finally decided to show yourself now? Jenise and I have learned many things and gone through many trials without your interference. If I find you have merely been waiting around for us to accomplish your dirty work for you…" the reaver of souls let the threat hang in the air. He had become disgusted with being used like someone's pawn long ago. He was determined to not allow it to happen again.

"Raziel, I am offended by your lack of trust. You do not truly believe I would do such a thing, do you?" Kain asked his former lieutenant, feigning innocence.

The vampire wraith narrowed his eyes at his sire. "Trustworthiness is NOT an accurate word for which to describe you, Kain."

"I'm sorry you feel that way, Raziel. Especially since I have saved you twice now."

"I may have some gratitude for the actions that merely postponed my oblivion," Raziel paused a moment, allowing the words burn into Kain's head. "But to claim you have twice saved me is a joke. It may have taken some time, but I would have been able to defeat the Sarafan warriors. I did not need your assistance," claimed the reaver of souls.

"I do not doubt your abilities. However, I have seen what the outcome of this battle would have been, had I not intervened. You, being incapable of death, would have survived the battle. They, would not have," Kain informed Raziel as he gestured to the two young women at the far side of the chamber.

Raziel glanced over to the ladies, one tending to the other's wounds. The truth to Kain's words was evident. The sorceress was so badly injured; she could not stand on her own. As it was, she could die from her wounds alone. If even the weakest of the Sarafan were able to get to her, it wouldn't have taken much to end her life. Jenise, though being one of the best fighters he had ever witnessed, was still no match for nearly two-dozen opponents.

Raziel strode over to the women, inspecting Malia's wounds. The girl had slipped into unconsciousness during the excursion with the Sarafan. Sensing Raziel's presence, Jenise looked up into his face. Worry clearly shone on the priestess's face.

"We need to get her someplace where we can care for her wounds. There is a medical wing here in the stronghold, but I do not think it wise to stay here. We risk being attacked again if we remain," Jenise stated with uncertainty. She wanted desperately to help her friend, but she knew not how.

"We shall take her to the Cabal," Kain interrupted. Raziel and Jenise gave him skeptical glances.

"But her injuries…Her blood…It's scent would drive the vampires mad with thirst…We can't take her there," Jenise pleaded with the future lord of Nosgoth.

"The Cabal are more sophisticated and controlled than the fledge vampires you may have encountered during your days as a Sarafan," informed Kain. "They would protect her while she healed. They would do so by Vorador's orders."

Jenise looked from Kain to her friend. She did not think the decision was wise, but she had no other choice. She had to help Malia. With a sigh of defeat, she slowly nodded her agreement to the plan.

"There is but one problem," Raziel noted. "We cannot travel with the girl's severe wounds. The most serious injuries would certainly reopen. If she didn't bleed to death first, infection would certainly take root and kill her in the long run."

"I will teleport you to the Cabal's headquarters directly," the master vampire offered.

Raziel was taken by surprise at Kain's generosity. It was very unusual for the vampire lord to offer his assistance unless it benefited him somehow. However, the situation was far too critical to dwell on the possibility of Kain's attempts at manipulation, no matter how much Raziel wished to not be taken advantage of again.

"Alright, Kain. I shall trust you to take us to Vorador."

"As do I," the priestess mumbled, still staring solemnly at the sorceress.

With their final consent, Kain raised a barrier of energy around himself and his accomplices. The field of energy luminated as Kain conjured his teleport spell. The brilliance of the light reached it pinnacle when the master vampire completed the spell. The field then began to slowly dim, as Kain and his travelers faded into nothingness.

Dusk had settled on the many streets of Meridian. The air was humid, causing an eerie fog to clog the streets. Most all of the daytime hustle had simmered down as the city residents retreated to their homes for the evening. It was far safer, even within the city walls, to remain home after the sun had set. The only beings that stirred on the streets at night were Sarafan guards, and the vampires they sought to destroy.

At the far side of the city, where the poorest of the poor were forced to reside, were the slums of Meridian. The stench from the sewers filled the air, the result of improper plumbing. Rats skittered about in the alleyways, feeding of the bits of rotted trash that had been carelessly discarded by passersby.

This part of the city was so disgusting and miserable that the Sarafan did not bother to patrol the area. They were far too concerned with the safety of the nobles and lords, whom generously paid the Sarafan for their protection from the vampire scourge.

The buildings in the slums were in such horrid condition that they were barely livable. Many of the roofs had holes in them, and repairs were made to broken windows by simply boarding them up. But not all houses here were like so. One house in particular, a deserted mansion, perhaps once owned by a rich noble, stood strong against the decay that surrounded it.

This mansion was intact. The only blemish this building had was the faded and chipping paint on its outside walls. Even the tall iron bar gates that surrounded the edifice were holding strong. However, the appearance of security and warmth the mansion seemed to offer did not convince even the homeless to venture inside for a night. For the mortals knew, inside this mansion, resided a foreboding evil. It was in front of this mansion, that a strange buzz of energy filled the air. In a flash of light, four figures seemed to suddenly appear from thin air.

Immediately taking in his surroundings, one of the figures spoke harshly to another. "What kind of game is this, Kain? This is not Vorador's mansion! We aren't even near the poison swamps! Why have you brought us here?" demanded Raziel.

"Your request was to be taken to Vorador. Not his mansion. I have only done as you have asked, but if you would like me to take you elsewhere…" Kain replied complacently.

"We're…in Meridian…aren't we?" Jenise inquired of the master vampire with uncertainty, taking in the unpleasant surroundings.

"That we are."

"Why are we here?" wondered the priestess.

"This is where Vorador and the Cabal now organize their resistance," informed Kain. "What better way to watch your enemies than from their own backyard?"

"But only a fraction of the Sarafan force is located here in Meridian," the reaver of souls interrupted. "The Cabal can't possibly see everything the Sarafan Lord is plotting from here."

"That may be true, but information has its way of filtering down the ranks. Vorador has dispatched a few of his elite to infiltrate the Sarafan hierarchy in order to discover the Hilden's plans," replied the future ruler of Nosgoth.

"So where is Vorador anyway?" Jenise queried, anxious to tend to Malia's wounds.

"Inside that building," said Kain, pointing to the large mansion standing out against the smaller, decrepit houses.

Jenise hefted Malia's small-framed body into her arms, cradling her knees and her back. Not waiting for her male counterparts, she started for the mansion. Kain and Raziel followed silently. The quartet paused only momentarily so that the men could open the gate for Jenise while she carried her friend. Just as they approached the mansion's grand front entrance, Kain held his accomplices back momentarily.

"Wait, there's one thing I must tell you before we enter," he replied, explaining his actions. "Once we are inside, do not address me as Kain. Do not let Vorador or any of the vampires from this era know of my true identity."

"Why not?" Jenise demanded impatiently. She had come this close to getting Malia medical attention and Kain's `speech' was hindering her progress.

"I do not want them to know who I am, for it may further alter events in history," Kain continued with a bit of irritation in his voice for having been so rudely interrupted. He gave Jenise a stern glare as he spoke.

"Since when are you concerned with preserving history's natural order of events, Kain?" Raziel ridiculed his maker's comment.

Kain passed his glare from Jenise to his first-born. "I become concerned, when deviation from the natural order conflicts with my interests and threatens my existence."

Raziel's eyes narrowed. "Yes. That self-preservative cowardice is very much like you, Kain. I am actually relieved that you have decided to revert to your true self. Your abounding generosity as of late was leaving me very apprehensive."

"My `generosity' binds itself to the simple fact that without you, Nosgoth is doomed to remain in its state of ruin for all eternity!" Kain growled angrily at the vampire wraith through clenched teeth.

"Ha! That comment is very humorous when coming from the mouth of the very soul who sentenced this world to its death!"

"And if I hadn't, you wouldn't be here right now!" the master vampire reminded his son.

"Do you believe me grateful for the form you have left me in?" Raziel demanded of his sire, his voice rising to match that of his growing anger.

"BOYS!" Jenise finally snapped. The priestess couldn't take the bickering any longer. Both Raziel's and Kain's heads snapped to the direction of the former Sarafan. In their heated dispute, they had momentarily forgotten about the ladies in their company.

"I'd HATE to disrupt such a meaningful conversation," she sarcastically replied, "but I do believe we have matters of far greater importance to concern ourselves with."

Raziel and Kain did not argue the validity of Jenise's point, although they refused to admit the pointlessness to their argument. They exchanged a final look that seemed to say `This isn't over yet.' This did not pass Jenise's attention. She rolled her eyes at their childish display. The priestess momentarily wondered if she and Raziel appeared to act the same way when they fought, but she shook the thought from her head before she could start to dwell on it.

Apparently, Raziel and Kain's argument was loud enough to catch the attention of the vampire residents of the mansion. For when the group turned towards the mansion, they found themselves facing thirty elite vampires, all armed and ready to defend their master. Of the elite, was the unhappy face of Umah, and at the center of the hoard, was the very disappointed and unimpressed Vorador.

"If the three of you do not try to be a little more inconspicuous, I shall have to ask you to seek refuge elsewhere. I am not enduring the rancid stench of decay and feces for my own enjoyment. I have chosen this mansion for its strategic location. I do not need you drawing the attention of the Sarafan to this area of the city," Vorador scolded his guests with an unnerving calmness.

"My apologies, Lord Vorador," Jenise politely addressed the vampire, bowing her head slightly in a display of respect. The bundle in her arms prevented her from properly bowing to the Cabal leader. "My colleagues meant no harm with their little excursion. Raziel and I have devised a plan with which to defeat the Hilden. However, my friend here is in dire need of medical help. I must see that her wounds are tended before I can continue with my service to you."

Vorador's eyes glanced down at the bruised heap in Jenise's arms. He nearly snarled at the sight of the Sarafan sorcerer. However, the severe wounds the girl suffered through were enough to make the vampire feel a bit remorseful for her pain. The obvious torture was far worse than what the most heartless of vampire killers deserved.

The current vampire lord pondered his dilemma momentarily. Should he aid the sorceress, or should he deny her medical help knowing it would ultimately lead to her death? He knew, however, that if he did not provide assistance to the girl, that Jenise would feel betrayed, and he would no longer have her loyalty or support. He could not afford to lose that, especially now with the promise of a new strategy.

With a final sigh of resignation, Vorador made his decision. His disposition relaxed slightly, as an unseen force seemed to have been lifted from his shoulders.

To his men, he ordered, "Allow them to pass. See to it that the girl's wounds are tended to. Do not harm her in anyway, or I shall see fit to remove the head from any who even consider disobeying my order."

Relief on her face, Jenise followed the Cabal vampires into their headquarters, followed by Raziel and Kain. As soon as Malia's condition stabilized, the second step in Raziel and Jenise's plan would be completed.