Fan Fiction ❯ Think About Me ❯ Leaving Mirkwood ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 2:

King Nat-ar

Finally, after much searching, he found his father and the guests, sitting about a round table, at the Ambassador Hall. Only the Kings and their closest advisors were present.

Without thinking twice, the young Prince barged right in and took an empty seat, halfway between the two Monarchs.

King Thranduil's eyebrows rose for half a moment, but then he ignored his son and turned to King Nat-ar who had taken up the word.

King Nat-ar was a man of stern, yet kind, face. It was not hard to see that in his youth he had been a tall, beautiful Lord. But now the years were heavy on him, and there were many grey strands in his once raven hair. But there was wisdom in his golden eyes, and an undeniable royal dignity about his presence. He now spoke with a strong, clear voice.

" We don't know why, but it is clear that the orcs seem to be gathering. And the bands of orc seem to have become bolder. They openly attack some of the outer villages of our realm. As you know, we are a small Kingdome. We come to you in search of aid. We don't have enough men, and these orcs have become more powerful.We fear a definite assault upon Culvernor."

"Well, Nat-ar," - began King Thranduil.- " as you know, your Kingdom is somewhat far from Mirkwood, and we face perils ourselves. The forest is more dangerous now than what it used to be, when you were young and dwelt here, Nat-ar Elf-friend."

At this, Legolas' eyebrows shot up, and he looked upon the old King with curiosity, and perhaps more respect than before.

Legolas had lived in Rivendell for a while, after his mother had perished. He dwelt there for a short time; a couple of hundred years, but apparently much had been amiss in Mirkwood while he was gone. Legolas had been back for about forty years, and he had heard no talk of this king, or of Culvernor, his distant Kingdome.

King Thranduil spoke again. " But, the orc problem does not concern only Men. And I would not deny you, friend. But I am afraid we can only spare 50 archers."-

"And I, the King's own son, shall be among them!" announced Legolas, turning to the foreign ruler. He could feel his father's surprised -and perhaps slightly angry- glare burning through him, but he ignored him.

King Nat-ar also seemed surprised, and pleased, at this unexpected, and seemingly desperate offering, and, after a quick glance at the Elven-King, he accepted it graciously.

After the council, Thranduil had some words with his son, and made it clear to him that he was not at all pleased by his behaviour, and if he had let him get away with this insolence,it had been only in appreciation to his dear friend Nat-ar. The King's words were somewhat harsh, but inwardly, he admired his son's audacity.

And so it was decided. The Company would part from Mirkwood early the next day, and Legolas would go with them, leading the 50 elven archers.

With what little time he had left, Legolas studied the maps of Culvernor and of the paths that led to it from Mirkwood. It was quite a great distance, but it was nowhere near Gondor as he had hoped. Oh well. He would have to visit those lands on some other journey.

Now concentrating on the maps, he could see that the journey would not only be long, but perilous, for the roads went straight through mountains that could well be orc dwellings. But that's just what he wanted: adventure, excitement. It had been a long time since he had seen battle.

And so they set off, at dawn. Legolas was the most light-hearted one of the group. He wore a dark green tunic, his long pale hair gleamed in the sun, and many a maiden sniffled as he rode off on his proud white horse, leading the elven archers that would assist the realm of Culvernor against the orcs that threatened it.

* * *

They had been riding for fourteen days when the attack happened. Their journey had so far taken them mostly through forest and bush.

Legolas rode with the Culvernoreans, particularly with King Nat-ar, of whom he had become quite fond in the past weeks. He could now see why he was called Elf-friend. Listening to the ruler speak of the problems that overwhelmed his small Kingdome, Legolas felt he wanted to do everything he could to help.

Finally, during the hours just before dawn, they got to a very long, dangerous pass between the mountains; they were almost halfway through their journey, for they had at least fifteen days worth of riding left to get to the southern borders of Culvernor.

Legolas had been, for once, not riding near the King;he was talking with Hendil, an archer from Mirkwood that was part of his royal escort. As if fate had arranged it, the King rode some ways off from the rest of the Company. And that's when the orcs fell upon them. Like ants they crawled down from the hills, more than 300 of them, armed with their foul orkish blades, and some of them even had poisoned arrows.

The Elves and the handful of Men fought bravely,

but it soon became clear that there was no chance of victory. The attack came with such force, that those who didn't flee were quickly slain. King Nat-ar was among the first to fall. Legolas gave a cry when he saw his friend assailed, but he soon had to worry about his own life; the beasts were everywhere. Finally he ordered his archers to flee, and save themselves. When he searched for the King again, he could not find him. He had no way of knowing that his friend was no longer part of the living.

Just before he climbed into a near by cave, he glanced down, and saw the body of Hendil among the fallen.