Fan Fiction ❯ Unknown Forces ❯ Alone ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

. 1.

Black silk, as dark as night itself, was draped over a small round table in the far corner of the room. Upon the small dark table, lay a vase holding a single withered red rose, of whose petals were slowing falling in a small heap as if decorating the table. No light could be seen, save for the moon, which shone soft lunar beams across the room giving only a little light.

Christina slowly feeled her way through old cobwebs and cold walls, to the small black table in the corner as if guided by some sixth sense. The table, up close, looked even more black and ominous than it did from afar. Her eyes slowly moved over the table until they focused intently on the pile of old withered petals. She stood for some time studying the leaves as if held by some enchanting spell. After a while she fancied she could see a small pile of blood, shining crimson in the moonlight. Perplexed by this illusion, she stretched her hand out to touch the deep dark pool, but instead of the stickiness of the blood, she felt the old withered petals crush into mere particles beneath her hand. Quickly drawing her hand away, she saw the leaves, crushed and somehow more menacing than before. Again she stood for a while trying to shake herself of this spell, listening to the deep silence around her that filled her with fear. She stood rigid as a dark cold wind swirled slowly around her, like a snake, climbing higher and higher until she could feel it on her ear and it seemed as though amongst the coldness a voice could be heard, and deep hateful voice that seemed to hiss " you cannot escape the darkness"

Christina's eyes shot open and she rubbed her forehead with her hand. "Man, that dream again, what does it mean I wonder" she whispered to the content cat that had long ago fallen asleep on her lap. Christina sat there for a while breathing slowly, after a while she lifted the cat off her lap and gently put him on the floor, in which case he slowly padded off into the dining room nearby and found a comfy spot to fall asleep in. Christina slowly walked past the sleeping fluff ball and into the kitchen where she filled a cup with freezing cold water and held it, savouring the coolness for a while. She slowly looked around at the lifeless house, which stood in silence. " Just me and you in the house little smudge" she said turning and looking at the cat, which had dropped asleep again.

Turning her head back around slowly, a feeling of pure fear overcame her and her hands started shaking violently. The cup full of water which was in her hand, slid out and fell slowly to the ground, smashing into millions of dazzling pieces of which one pierced her leg and embedded itself deeply. The water had splashed all over her leg and on the floor. Christina staggered around abit and clung onto the sink beside her with her head bowed and her eyes closed. Slowly she looked up and into the sink and watched the little trickle of water that escaped from the tap. As she watched, she saw the water seemingly change into a stream on blood. Shocked and scared she quickly pulled her hand onto the tap and turned it off and watched the last trickle of blood fall down the plughole. Her eyes were starting to fill with tears and her heartbeat raced, this time she knew she wasn't dreaming. Bowing her head half in relief, she looked at the floor of broken glass and spilt water, it was then that a dark creeping shadow overcame the room and her eyes widened as she saw not her kitchen but that black room with the black table. She blinked as if in disbelief and a huge shadow bore down from behind her. Trying to blink away the tears, she turned around slowly and fearfully, only to face a tall dark figure. She thought she saw a red glint in the figures eye. The figure was obviously that of a man for he was muscular and had short wavy hair. Christina could make no more than that out of the figure but she sensed fear and danger from this figure and she slowly stepped sideways towards where she thought the door of her kitchen should be. The figure laughed, a quiet evil laugh and Christina froze in the spot. The figure then spoke "I know you can hear me Christina and you cannot escape me" With that he let out a loud evil chuckle that chilled Christina's heart and sent a shiver down her spine and he then outstretched a long dark hand towards Christina. Christina backed away, squeezing her eyes tightly shut.

When Christina opened her eyes, she was back in the kitchen and she could see the broken glass on the floor not far away. Her eyes filled with tears and her stomach felt queasy. Backing away towards the back door, she sat down and pulled her legs up to her chest and bowed her head downwards. She cried, she had no idea what was going on but now she was certain it was no longer just a dream. The first tear fell down her cheek and was soon followed by many others. This was the first time Christina had cried since her early childhood.

***

Melody paced about back and forth muttering under her breath. After hesitating for only a second, she pulled out her bright silver sword with a white pearl handle that shone in the light and looked at it, muttering still. Stretching her hand outwards and upwards towards the sky, she muttered a few more words and closed her eyes. From the base of the pearl handle rose a white electric charge, moving upwards towards the blade of the sword. From the top of the sword, a bolt of pure white light exploded, splitting into two separate balls of light. Dancing and swirling in and around each other, the two bolts shot upwards in the sky. Once they reached a suitable height, they moulded together and thin branches of pure light shot off the bolt, stretching down towards the floor forming a small semicircle shield of white light around melody. Melody opened her eyes and looked around her. A smile of pure delight appeared on her pretty face. She slowly lowered her sword and watched the shield of light vanish back into it. After putting her sword away she turned and walked off, out of the large practice room and into the great hall. Many eager faces greeted her and melody's face broke out into a huge smile and she laughed. "So, you mastered the light shield at last," said a voice from within the corner of the white and gold room. "Indeed I did Alex," answered melody, turning to face the moody thirty year old from which the voice came from. Alex smiled " it seems that the new generation are learning quicker than the old, at this point you'll overtake us". Melody's face turned red and she smiled as she shuffled away. Melody stood for a while examining the room. The ceiling was a golden colour with clear-panned skylights from which golden light passed through lighting up the white marble floor. The walls stood tall and ancient made of the hardest material known and were a pure white with large golden pillars in four corners. On each wall, a large window looked out into the sky. At one side, directly opposite Melody, was a large golden chair from which behind, a golden curtain was drawn across the whole side. Behind that curtain was off limits apart to those summoned especially. This vast hall of beauty was lined with huge, solid gold tables, which left a corridor through the middle. Directly behind Melody was a huge giant oak door of which was the entrance to another corridor, which branched into several rooms and another final door. It was from here that Melody had emerged from the practice room and through the large corridor and into the vast golden hall.

Melody walked over to one of the large golden tables and sat down greeting all others at the table politely with a slight nod of the head. Although Melody had been in this community for a year, there were so many people and still vast majorities she didn't know.

From out of a pocket on her shorts, she drew out a small leather book and a black ink pen, in which case she proceeded to write down her progress in the light shield achievement. Melody thought for a while, and then wrote `Progress has been made, however I fear the light shield may be too weak to defend fully against the dark mages, therefore more work needs to be done to sort out how to increase its defence'. Melody stopped and thought again, she was about to proceed and write down more when the chatter heard around the great hall stopped completely. She looked up and saw everyone turning to look at the golden curtain by the great gold chair. She watched as the curtain was slowly drawn back and two great mages were revealed. The mages were clad in white robes complete with a golden cloak and both were carrying a small white crystal ball in their hands. All around the hall was silent and everyone watched the mages intently. The mages were messengers of the great lord, otherwise known as God and were the only ones who were allowed past the golden curtain whenever they pleased. When the mages showed themselves, which was rare and held their crystal balls, everyone knew what it meant. It meant that the great lord had a new mission to give, to who was unknown and that was what the mages had come to deliver. The first mage looked into his crystal ball and spoke in a clear loud voice " the great lord has a new mission of the uttermost importance to give. May those that have been chosen to take the mission please drop any other mission they may be proceeding with and follow us promptly" the second mage then looked up and spoke " will AW Melody and AM Celine please follow us" with that the two mages disappeared behind the golden curtain again. Melody slowly rose from her seat wondering what the mission would be. She walked up to the curtain slowly and nervously with eager faces from the crowd in the great hall watching her. Realising her appearance may not be up to its best, she brushed her hair and any lose strands back with her hand. Melody pushed the golden curtain to one side and slowly walked through. She had not been an Angel Warrior long and had never spoke to anyone who had been behind the curtain before so she did not know what to expect. Curiosity had drove a lot of former angels to try to peep behind the curtain before but she had heard from many people that a shield of electricity had surrounded the curtain so that those that tried to peep got an electric shock of high voltage, though melody did not know if this was true for sure. She didn't need to worry about that anymore, she was actually there. Melody looked around and tried to stop herself from sighing with disappointment. The room was very much like the others, a square shape with white marble floor and two golden pillars in the far left and right hand corners. No skylight brightened up this room. The mages stood before Melody who was soon joined by Celine. Celine was an angel messenger; her identity on Earth no longer remained. She was what humans called a ghost. When Angel warriors die they are given 3 choices, 1. Carry on serving the lord and accompanying angel warriors on their missions as a look out 2. To look and watch over their families or loved ones and make sure no evil force intrudes them or 3. To move on and `be born again'. To become an angel messenger was quite rare, most people preferred to move on in life. Celine was a pretty girl with long blonde hair and in her teens, around 17. She would never age, or would she ever change appearance wise. It was rumoured that although angel messengers were dead in a sense there was still a way to kill them. A way to kill their very soul. It was also rumoured that there was also a way to make it so that they could touch and move objects. These were only known by the dark mages though, or so it was said. Messengers that could move objects were commonly called poltergeists on Earth and nearly all were corrupted and evil.

Melody turned to look at the mages again. The mage to the left moved her hands over her crystal ball, which changed shape into a long and beautiful staff, which held a tiny crystal on top of it. The staff itself was golden with a stunning white design on it. Placing the staff so that it was just touching the left hand wall, the mage whispered in a quiet ominous voice. Melody jumped suddenly when a loud creak was heard and part of the wall disappeared. The two mages walked through into the other room and they motioned that melody and celine both followed. Curiously and nervously melody walked into the room and her eyes light up in amazement. "This is our watch room," whispered one of the mages. Melody looked over to Celine and saw the same awe on her face as was on her own. The room itself was square and black. Stars could be seen swirling around her head and every now and again swirls of electric blue and yellow appeared then faded suddenly. Melody reached up to touch one of the tiny stars and her eyes grew wide as it passed through her hand. " The whole room is an illusion, created by the power of out crystal balls in order for us to view the world and what goes on in it" Melody realised the two mages had been stood there watching her and celine. Melody blinked as if it was a dream and looked at the two mages, from the corner of her eye she saw celine do the same. " Your mission is one of the uttermost importance, you have both been chosen because we believe you hold the best qualities to get the job done as quickly as possible" The mage with the staff walked over to a small star in the dead centre on the room and Placed the crystal that was atop the staff on the star. The whole room seemed to move in and Melody swayed uneasily and tried to stay upright. The mages however seemed unaffected " relax, the room does not move, you will not fall over, it is just an illusion" Celine smiled at Melody " you are a quick learner Celine" The mage that had stood still smiled " one of many reasons we chose you" Melody moved her eyes over to look at the mage with the staff again. Just then Melody felt a thud and closed her eyes. When she opened them she found them in a kitchen. Smashed glass lay near the sink and water mixed with a little blood lay in a puddle around it. Melody turned around as she heard someone crying. Near the back door, hugging her knees tightly with her head bowed was a child of around 16. From what melody could see it was a brown haired girl and she seemed to have a piece of glass imbedded deeply in her leg. Melody watched for a while and walked over to the young girl, she could feel the mages watching her and Celine followed by her side. Melody looked at the child and her heart jumped as the girl slowly raised her head and looked pass melody and at the clock. Melody peered into the girl's bright blue eyes that were filled with fresh tears. She had a pretty face that was round and fair. Underneath her right eye was a tiny scar. Melody sat observing the child for a while and then got up. "Why is she so upset" melody asked the mages, turning and looking them in the eye. "Her name is Christina Marie granger, she is your mission" the mage continued, " When meditating as we often do to try to sense any bad vibes, we were directed at one point to her. Although we could see nothing bad or evil at first, under close inspection we have reason to believe that one of the most powerful dark mages named Maskini is targeting her. We have thus learnt that he somehow plans to turn her into an ally of his. Why we do not know, our only guess is that she posses a power inside her that could turn her into a powerful angel warrior or indeed, a powerful ally of the dark mages" Melody looked at the mage "where do we come in" Celine turned to face melody " im guessing that somehow we are supposed to get to her before Maskini does" the mages smiled " you truly are an observant and clever person Celine" Melody sighed and shook her head " If Christina holds so great a power then we must not allow the dark mages to get to her! The only way we can stop them is for you to get Christina and bring her to us immediately, we do not know when Maskini plans to confront her personally but we know it will be soon. We believe you and celine are capable of this mission," whispered one of the mages. Melody looked over at Christina again and her eyes filled with sorrow " poor kid, she has no idea what she's up for and she hasn't done anything wrong, just look how distort and upset she is" Melody sighed "ok I'll do it, are you with me celine?" Celine straightened her dress "like ive got anything better to do" she smiled.