Fan Fiction ❯ Watching ❯ Chapter One ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: Harry Potter and all its characters don't belong to me. They belong to J.K Rowling as far as I know. Speaking of which, I'm sure someone has written something similar to this (like someone hasn't conceived this idea). I don't plagiarize fics. I didn't copy this from someone else's work, so if it looks similar, don't email me with a 'You %#^%$&%*-ing copycat' message or something.

Author's Notes: I thought it's about time I wrote my own HP fic. I've only read two so far, way, way back more than a year ago. ^^;; Anyway, Harry and Draco are my favorite pairing...even though I can honestly doubt it would ever work out unless Draco gets himself a quick attitude adjustment. *huggles Draco* I love all the mean ones...

Oh, I've only read HP book #3 and have only seen the first movie. I'm sure I'll make a few mistakes here and there. All you HP know-it-alls, feel free to correct all my mistakes. ^^; I'm saying that this would be AU, since the timeline in the HP books is so strict. For sure it is based after book #3 though. Toss an age at them...however old you think they have to be to date, kiss, and maybe more. ^_~

*********************************************************************** ***********

Watching -- Chapter One

******************************************************************** **************

Harry knew that somewhere in the library someone's eyes were fixed on him. For the first ten minutes of having that feeling, he tried to ignore it. He should have been used to the attention by now. He was a young celebrity in the school known as Hogwarts. If a person didn't know him personally, they at least knew his name. He had friends, enemies, and even followers at this school.

His two best friends were Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley. However today they weren't in the library with him. Ron actually wasn't a frequent visitor of the library. Hermione on the other hand...Harry was quite surprised that she opted to stay in the Gryffindor Commons room, rather than come along with him. The girl never passed the chance to learn something new.

Harry wasn't in the library to do some light reading. He had homework to finish, and with all the books in the Hogwarts school library, he knew that he could use them to help along with his homework. At the very worst, he could have Hermione help him later if he didn't find the answers within any of the books here.

It was pestering him. The feeling of being watched was suddenly annoying him to no end. He stared at the half-finished essay he had been writing for class. He would never finish it, would he? He looked up and around the library. His gaze caught that of two pale blue eyes focused on him.

Draco quickly looked away and back at the book he had been reading. He knew that Harry had noticed being watched. What else was he to do but look away and deny it? The words on the page seemed to blur, not due to magic, but due to the fact that the book he was reading was absolutely boring.

He wished that Crabbe or Goyle weren't in detention so that he could make them do his book report instead. In his mind, he thought that he shouldn't have to be subject to do this. That was what others were for: to manipulate them and make them do the work for him. He was perfectly happy acting as a slave master.

Unfortunately, there was one person who he didn't want to do that to. At first he thought something was wrong with his mind. Or that maybe someone had cast a curse on him, or put a potion in his food. He couldn't identify it. It was almost like he was ill, and then again very healthy. It confused him to no end.

He went to the nurse to see if she had any medicine for it. Telling her the symptoms and what it felt like, she rolled her eyes at him. He glared at her for her lack of respect for a patient, who could have been seriously ill with some sort of rare sickness. She asked if he was being sarcastic, and he glared again. Finally she chuckled and bluntly told him that he was lovesick.

"Lovesick? Is there a cure for that?"

"Yes, but you'll have to find it yourself."

Do it himself? That's what he had Crabbe and Goyle for. To do the bidding for him. But he knew this time around that he would have to find a cure for this...'lovesickness' himself, and then hope he would never get that again. Just like he was stuck doing his book report. He wasn't reading the book though. His eyes were once again focused on the person he thought would have him get rid of this feeling.

Actually, it was because of Harry Potter that he had this feeling at all. How could he have fallen for Harry Potter of all people. It didn't make sense. He hated that punk who got all the attention all the time. Everyone knew him, teachers favored him. All because of some stupid scratch on his forehead. Draco just didn't understand.

"Stop it."

A voice jarred him from his thoughts. Then he realized that he had been spoken to.

"What?"

"Stop staring at me, Malfoy," there was bitterness in his voice, upon saying 'Malfoy', as if saying it were some sort of curse word directed at Draco.

"I'll watch you as I please, Potter," Draco said, closing his book, and turning his full attention on the boy sitting two tables away from him.

Harry glared at the blonde, and tried to get back to work. He couldn't. He sighed, looking up from his essay, "What do you want?"

"What makes you think I want anything from you?"

"Well there has to be some reason that you insist on annoying me. Where are your lackeys?"

"Detention," Draco shrugged.

"I doubt you care."

"They serve their purpose," Draco stood up from the table he had been sitting at, took his book, and walked over to Harry's table, pausing in front of the chair across from where the dark-haired boy sat.

Harry's eyes never left him, and watched him warily as he approached the table and paused.

"Can I sit here?"

Draco's voice carried a polite tone, that Harry saw right through. He frowned at Draco, then gave an indifferent shrug. He looked back down at the half-filled parchment paper which his essay was written on. Draco dropped the book rather noisily on the table, causing Harry to flinch. He pulled the chair out from the table and sat down.

Great, Harry thought, Now with him sitting here, how can I ever finish?

They sat in silence for a few minutes. Draco had returned to reading, and Harry had returned to writing. However, Harry didn't fail to notice when Draco's gaze fixed on him again.

"What are you working on?"

"An essay," Harry replied through clenched teeth, "A paper that is due tomorrow, that I am only half-done with, that I will never finish if you keep bothering me!"

Draco chuckled, "If it's that bad, then I will leave you alone."

Harry would have sighed in relief and thanked him, but this was Draco after all. There had to be a reason for Draco just...leaving him alone. He heard Draco's book slam shut, and looked up at the blond boy, a smirk played on his face that Harry definitely didn't find friendly.

"But only if you come along with me somewhere."

"What?" Harry frowned, "Isn't that what your lackeys are for?"

"I said earlier that they are only useful when they serve their purpose," Draco explained, "The only person I want accompanying me, is you."

"So Crabbe and Goyle won't be there?" Harry asked, suddenly imagining the three of them ganging up on him if he went...where ever it was that Draco wanted him for.

"I'll make sure of it that they aren't," Draco agreed, "And neither will your little friends tag along."

"Fine. But where are we going? Why is it just us two?"

"The others aren't needed. They'll only get in the way."

"Where are we going, Malfoy?" Harry repeated, annoyance in his tone of voice.

"Do you like Hogsmeade, Potter?"

"...Yes."

"Then that's where we'll go," Draco told him, standing up from the table, and turning to leave, "Our date is set for the next time there's a trip to Hogsmeade."

"Date?"

Draco paused and turned around. He raised an eyebrow as he regarded the dark-haired boy, "I just asked you out on a date, Potter. Surely you're not that stupid to have not noticed that."

He turned and left, leaving Harry in a stunned silence. What just happened? I just agreed to go out on a date with...Draco Malfoy?! Harry thought.

*********************************************************************** ***********

Author's Notes: I have no idea how long this fic is gonna be. But I just wanted to get this part written. I have ideas for the next chapter, but I'm not gonna write anything unless I know that people want to read this, 'k? Review if ya want me to continue. ^_^