Fan Fiction ❯ Wild Blue Yonder ❯ Secrets of a Past ( Chapter 38 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the characters nor places created by Tolkien, but I do own my own.

Wild Blue Yonder

~~*~*~~ Chapter 38 - Secrets of a Past ~~*~*~~

Rain looked up as Elrohir stomped loudly back into the clearing. She frowned as she watched him stalk across the space, tossing his dirty clothing next to his bag before snatching up his bow and quiver and going out the opposite side of the clearing.

She watched silently as he left wondering why he was so upset. Elrohir normally was a happy soul, always smiling and joking. Something must have happened between him and Legolas.

Sighing, she stood up brushing dirt and leaves of the seat of her pants. Motioning to Nanook to stay, she walked quietly down the path that Elrohir had just exited. Her mind whirled in a torment of thoughts. Legolas's attitude since she had pulled them up from the hole had been strange. When she had inquired about him, he had looked right through her as if she hadn't been there. His quiet repose had continued the entire way back to the clearing until he had left to bathe.

Pushing aside an overhanging branch, she saw Legolas sitting quietly staring off into the distance. Walking forward she sat down next to him. When he didn't say anything she sighed softly before turning toward him.

"Legolas, I think that we need to talk," she said softly. He turned his head to look down at her and she could see the pain and confusion clearing in his clear blue eyes.

Rain's heart constricted painfully before it leapt into her throat. He knows, she thought with sudden clarity. That would certainly explain Elrohir's odd behavior, as well as Legolas' distant withdrawal from her since they'd entered the clearing. Elrohir had told Legolas of the true nature of her quest.

Fear clawed at her throat, her pulse racing as she looked at his angular face, a muscle jumping in his clenched jaw, cool ice trying to cover the betrayal in his sharp eyes.

"Elrohir told you, didn't he?" she asked in a strangled voice.

"Yes," came his steely reply. Rain clasped her hands tightly in her lap, to control their trembling when he turned his glacial gaze back to the water.

"I'm sorry," she sighed deeply, her shoulders sagging. It seemed that for every step they took forward, they were pushed back two.

Legolas turned back to her, his eyes searching her face intently. "You should have been the one to tell me."

Long moments passed before Rain spoke, her voice a mere whisper. "I wanted to. I even tried to, but I ...couldn't."

"Why Rain, didn't you feel that you could trust me?" he asked, the pain he felt evident in his voice.

"I'm sorry that I didn't tell you the entire story behind this quest, but I have been so confused that I wasn't sure what my decision would be when I did retrieve the sword," she said softly looking up into his eyes.

"Why don't you explain what we really are doing?" he replied.

"All right, here's what I know so far. Lord Elrond told me that I was the last descendant of his brother Elros, who had chosen mortality to start the line of Núnenor. He also said that I was the last one with elfin blood left in my time and that it was my decision to revive the line of the elves or let them vanish completely," she said, a puzzled look on her face. "I still am not totally sure of what this all means. The key we seek has the power to unlock Andúril, which can grant me the choice of returning home or reviving Elros's line."

"So as I understand it, with Andúril you can either return home or stay and become an elf," Legolas said, as he looked down into her eyes, trying not to get his hopes up at the possibility of her becoming immortal.

"Yes, but I have a funny feeling that there's more to it than just that," She replied, a frown forming between her eyes.

"Why?" he said gently.

"Doesn't it seem strange that I show up in this place and time so conveniently and am offered the chance to become an elf. That seems awfully fishy to me."

"Humm, you're right. I was wondering why father seemed to know you before I even introduced you," he said, a thoughtful look crossing his face.

"It was the same with Lady Galadriel. She knew things that she should have not," Rain said.

"I wonder what is going on with those three. You're right, something is not right about this situation. The only thing that we can do about it now is to complete this quest and then find out what or who is behind all of this," he said as he turned to look out over the lake again. "Do you still want me to come with you?"

"Of course Legolas," she said as she reached out and took his hand into hers. He turned to look down into her eyes. "Whatever they have planned has nothing to do with how I feel about you. We just need to take this one step at a time and hope for the best."

"Yes, we do," he said as he brought his free hand up to cup the side of her face, tilting it upward. Leaning forward he brought his lips down to hers.

~*~

Elladan had just walked into the courtyard, his bow and quiver in his hand, when he looked up into he clear blue sky. A large eagle shrieked its call as it descended rapidly from the air, tumbling to the ground at his feet. Tossing his weapon away, Elladan crouched to examine the bird.

It lay in an exhausted heap of ruffled feathers, its breath coming in great gasps, a roll of parchment tethered to one heavily taloned foot. Elladan frowned. Eagles were regal and royal birds, and as such, were never used as messengers unless the situation was grave.

Placing a calming, gentle hand on its quivering wing, he carefully untied the leather straps and removed the roll. He instantly recognized the royal seal upon and at once understood the urgency that had spurred the great bird on. His eyes flew back to the weak eagle at his feet. It had flown a great distance, and judging by its condition, had not rested along the way. Whatever message it bore, must be horribly urgent.

Ignoring his bow, he tucked the parchment into his belt, carefully scooped up the bird into his arms and hurried back to the palace.

As he burst through the door of the great hall, he called to a servant. "Take him to the aviary immediately and have someone tend to him," he said as he gently laid the bird into her waiting arms.

Pausing only long enough to watch her scurry from the room, Elladan raced to his father's study, taking the stairs two at a time.

Elrond stood looking over the sea of trees that encompassed his home. it all seemed so peaceful. Somewhere high up in the emerald canopy which seemed to glitter with dappled sunlight, birds sang happily, their musical voices filling the warm air with gentle song.

He sighed heavily, wishing he too was so carefree as the creatures beyond his window, but with a grimace, he knew it could not be so, for he was a king.

For centuries his people had thrived under him and his strict adherence to honesty, integrity and honor. But now their very existence was in jeopardy, and though it had pained him deeply, he'd had to push aside his beliefs to assure their safety.

Deceit and trickery were not common place amongst the nature of the elves, yet without it, in this instance, all could be lost. That was the argument that had raged inside his head since he, Thranduil and Galadriel had sealed their pact. Despite the time that had since passed, it did not ease the shadow of doubt and guilt in his heart. Nor did it erase the strong sense of doom aching low in his gut.

It had begun several days ago, a sudden feeling that all was not well with their plan. Though tempted, he had resisted the urge to send a scout to spy on the party and return to him with news.

"Father!" called a voice from behind Elrond, pulling him out of his swirling thoughts. He turned to see Elladan standing in the doorway to the balcony, a concerned look upon his face. Sighing softly, Elrond turned away from the window and walked towards him.

"Yes, my son?" he asked gently.

"This just arrived for you, from Mirkwood," Elladan said as he held out a sealed parchment.

Elrond felt his heart jerk almost painfully as he looked at the paper. He knew immediately who had sent it, and that the answer to the unease he'd been feeling for the last few days lay within it. Eagerly, he reached out and took the roll from Elladan, turning away and hurrying across the room to his desk.

A frown creased his face as he read the familiar scrawl of his longtime friend. The parchment slipped from his numb fingers, falling softly to the desktop, as he dropped heavily into his chair, his hands faintly trembling as they covered his now wan face.

"Father, is everything alright?" Elladan asked, his voice full of worry.

Elrond dropped his hands wearily to the desktop and raised troubled eyes to his son. Looking at the innocence shining in his eyes, he did not have the heart to tell him that his worst fear had come to pass.

From his first meeting of Rain, Elrond had quickly come to realize that she was a tarnished soul, with a very strong will. At times her strength and force had amused him, but he'd known it could affect the outcome of the pact. Just as he'd predicted, it had.

Elladan knew some of Rain's quest. Out of respect for his father, he'd absorbed only what had been told to him, refraining from pressing Elrond on the true objective of the quest. Elrond had been both proud and grateful to his son for his restraint, and that was what encouraged him to share the contents of the parchment with him.

"It seems that Lady Rain has taken it upon herself to leave Mirkwood on her own to complete the remainder of the journey." One of his high brows edged up slowly as a slight grin curved his lips. "Legolas and your brother have taken off after her."

"What?!" Elladan shouted incredulously. "I can't believe it! Why would she do such a thing?"

Elrond chuckled softly, shaking his head. "Because it's in her nature." At Elladan blank look, he elaborated. "I have a feeling that something must have happened between her and Legolas. King Thranduil's letter vaguely hints in that direction. I have known Legolas for many years, and am sure that everything will be alright in the end."

Turning again to gaze out of the window, he sighed deeply. "It has to be for our sake," he murmured.

Elladan watched in concern as his father began to pace the room, his tall body fairly humming with tension. Elladan knew that Lady Rain's sudden departure from Mirkwood was not the true reason for his father's unease. He had watched his father fight in many battles over the years, and not once had he witnessed this much anxiety in his regal form. Something more, something Elrond was reluctant to share with him, had gone horribly wrong.

He'd witnessed several hushed meetings of the Ruling Elves, and had seen both King Thranduil and the Lady Galadriel wearing that same grim expression his father now bore. Because of that, he suspected that the outcome of this quest had a deeper meaning than simply the retrieval of the sword.

"Father?" he asked curiously, looking at the apprehensive expression on his father's face.

Elrond turned slightly to look at his son. Feeling deep regret at the multitude of questions swimming in the bright eyes watching him, he spoke softly. "It isn't time for you to know yet. Please be patient a little longer and all shall be revealed shortly."

Resigning himself to the agony of waiting, Elladan nodded slowly and left the room.

~~*~*~~

A/N: Well I was able to put together another chapter, but now it is off to my homework. My mid-term is due next week and I haven't even started the paper. So, please be patient while I endure through the mountain of work on my desk. I promise that updates will occur, albeit slower that I know you would like.

Thank you for the support and emails that you have sent me. We are getting there, slowly but surely. Happy reading.

~DBZ Vegeta