Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Mako Eyes ❯ Dragon Children ( Chapter 8 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

“`The Mako Children Project' was just a cover up name,” Reeve said to the others. “The Project was, in fact, actually called `The Dragon Children Project'. They used `Mako Children' so the public wouldn't freak out at the thought of a human/dragon crossbreed.” They were all in Reeve's office, the files Reeve found being projected onto a large screen so they could all see as he explained his findings.
 
“Well,” Vincent said softly, “that explains why Aneilla can transform into a dragon. She was referred to as a dragon child, not mako…”
 
“Yes,” Reeve said, nodding. “The project consisted of infusing the unborn child with Jenova cells and Mako, just like they did with Sephiroth, but one other `ingredient' was added: the DNA of a pure dragon demon.”
 
“Where did they find DNA of a pure dragon demon?” Cloud asked. “Pure dragons were said to have died out thousands of years ago. The only ones left now in the world are those dragon fiends.”
 
“It states that Hojo came across an old dragon lair during some of his travels. There, he found the remains of a mother dragon and her clutch. He took back the eggs and, by opening them, found a fossilized form of a dragonet, close to the hatching stage, inside one of them. Somehow, he managed to draw out the DNA of the dragonet and create it into a living DNA strand that could be used. He had tried infusing it into a human during one of his human experiments, but the human died because the dragon basically tore the human apart inside because the human and the dragon DNA refused to become one.”
 
“So that's why he decided to try it with an unborn child,” Aneilla concluded. “The DNA of the human was still forming and piecing together, so adding the dragon DNA would allow the two strands to form into one strand.”
 
“Yes,” Reeve said. “The first child was born and after running a few test, Hojo concluded that the child was perfectly healthy. So he decided to create a few more, by cloning the dragon DNA and infusing it into other unborn children. Thus, the Dragon Children Project.”
 
“So why was it concluded a failure?” Cloud asked.
 
“The children showed no signs of the dragon that should be inside of them. Sure, they were smarter and a bit faster than normal children, but those were expected, from the effects of the Jenova cells and Mako. But there were no signs of the dragon. Shinra concluded that it was a failure, that they only created children that would be identical to Sephiroth. So when the orphanage caught fire…”
 
“He let us burn…” Aneilla finished, eyes flashing.
 
“But it's obvious now that their powers were yet to awaken,” Reeve said, nodding to Aneilla. “Seeing that you can now transform into a dragon and use your powers, it means that the dragon that is inside of you has been in rest for the past twenty-two years and has just awoken. I believe that it will be the same for James; the dragon is beginning to wake up, allowing him some of that power. Why you, Aneilla, had gained so much power and your dragon waking up so quickly while James is older than you, and has yet to fully awaken his power and dragon, I'm not exactly sure.”
 
“Does it say anything more about the dragons?” Aneilla asked.
 
Reeve turned and scrolled down the document, scanning it quickly with his eyes, before saying, “It says that the dragons should differ per child. Although the DNA had come from one dragon, it was the DNA of all dragons, branching off to all types. That explains why you, Aneilla, are red when James is probably going to be black.” Reeve continued to read, scrolling down the old document. Suddenly, he stopped, blinking slightly. “Well now,” he said softly, “that is interesting…”
 
“What?” Vincent asked.
 
“Since dragons become immortal by their 150th year, which in our years would be 25, the Dragon Children will become immortal as well. When Aneilla turns 25 years old, she will stop aging and her powers will be at their fullest, neither shrinking nor raising after that point in time. Although she can be killed, it'll be much harder to do so than like a normal human, and she will live to be as old as any dragon, which is an unknown age because there is no record of a dragon dying of old age.” Reeve looked at Aneilla and asked, “When is your birthday?”
 
“July 24…”
 
“That's coming up, so in about two years, you will become immortal.”
 
“So she'll basically look how she is now, only a bit older, when she's like a hundred?” Cid asked.
 
“Yes…”
 
“Again, kinda like Vincent,” Yuffie pointed out. “Kinda odd how it comes back to that…”
 
“There is no mention of Vincent in the files,” Reeve said, looking back at the documents. “But I wouldn't be surprised if Hojo had Vincent in his mind while doing this experiment.”
 
“If they realized that the Project would be a success once the children reached adulthood,” Red said, “Shinra would have had an elite army of super powerful humans, more powerful than SOLDIER.”
 
“But it wouldn't have changed things, with what happened to Shinra,” Cloud pointed out. “When old man Shinra was killed and Rufus had taken over, Aneilla's power was just beginning to awaken and she had no control over it…”
 
“But,” Vincent said softly, interrupting Cloud, “Aneilla had no training, which is why she couldn't control it. Imagine if Shinra found a way to help the Dragon Children to train and awaken their power much more quickly? We might have faced an army of the Dragon Children and would have had no idea on how to stop them, because they would be so much more powerful than us.”
 
“We can't worry ourselves about what might have been,” Aneilla said suddenly. Everyone looked at her as she walked over to the computer Reeve was at. “I have some of the answers I wanted, and odds are, James is going to want what I know as well. I suggest to you, Reeve, that you hide this information well so he can't find it. If he discovered any of this, we'll be in trouble… especially the immortal part…”
 
“Why is that?” Vincent asked.
 
Aneilla turned and looked at the others, crimson eyes glowing in the slightly darkened room. “Because, although I cannot locate it, I have been able to sense James's spirit signature. His day of birth passed a few days ago… he is now 25 years old, and an immortal.”
 
*~*~*
 
Vincent aimed Cerberus at the sky, waiting and watching for the slightest movement. The skies were clear this night, full of brightly glowing stars. He was, once again, in the Cosmos Canyons and the only sounds that could be heard were the normal noises of the night. Vincent moved slowly and silently, slowly turning as he walked to watch for anything that came from the sky or from around him. Alright, he thought, where are you?
 
Vincent spun around and began to fire as a large form swept into the canyon from the cliffs above. The light from the gun fire reflected off of shimmering ruby-red scales as the large dragon twisted in flight, dodging the bullets as they were fired at her. She flipped in a circle and sped towards him, tilting her body from side to side as she flew. With a few beats of her wings, Aneilla shot a ball of fire at him from her nostrils. “Shit…” Vincent said and he dodged behind a large formation of boulders as the missile struck the ground, causing the canyon floor to explode where Vincent had been standing moments before. Vincent jumped up from his hiding spot and on top of the rocks. He began to fire through the dust and smoke. But before Vincent knew it, he felt a warm breeze behind him, indicating that Aneilla was behind him. He turned around just as the dragon swung her tail at him and wasn't quick enough to dodge the attack. The side of her tail slammed into his chest and Vincent flew across the canyon to strike the rocky wall, knocking the wind out of him. He collapsed to the floor, trying to gain his breath back.
 
“Oh gosh, Vincent!” Aneilla exclaimed, flying over and landing in front of him. She lowered her head down close to him, turning her head to look at him with one crimson eye. “Are you alright?” she asked, voice laced with worry.
 
Vincent nodded with a soft groan. “I'll be alright,” he told her. He smiled slightly when Aneilla let out a soft moan of guilt. “Believe me, I have had worse.”
 
“I got carried away... I should have been more careful. I could have really hurt you.”
 
“You can't be worried about hurting your opponent in battle, Aneilla,” Vincent told her as he stood up. “If you do, your enemy will kill you.”
 
“But you are my friend,” Aneilla said softly, pressing her muzzle to his chest, “not my enemy... I am sorry that I hurt you.”
 
Vincent chuckled and patted her on the jaw. “You are forgiven,” he told her. For a moment they stood there, neither saying anything. Vincent found himself gently rubbing the soften scales around Aneilla jaw, watching as the little light reflected off of the ruby surface, causing it to glow like the jewel its color was. Vincent couldn't help but think that Aneilla was a beautiful dragon… a beautiful woman, in fact…
 
No... he thought, scolding himself, I can't allow myself to think like this... to think about her like that. I can't allow myself to fall for her, because all it will do is bring and cause pain. With a sigh, Vincent stepped back and started to walk away. “We should be heading back, Aneilla,” he said to her over his shoulder.
 
He heard Aneilla let out a deep sigh as she started to follow him. She walked alongside of him, moving slowly to keep with his pace. Vincent hardly came up to her shoulders and for a moment, he felt overwhelmed by the large creature he walked alongside. Glancing up at Aneilla, he could see that she was lost in thought… probably talking to the dragon inside of her. He didn't speak to her, allowing her to have her conversation with her teacher. After a few moments, Aneilla stopped and Vincent turned to look at her. “What is it?” he asked.
 
“He wants me to try something before we head home,” she told him. Then without another word, Aneilla started to glow as she transformed. Her large form shrunk as the light shimmered brighter in the dark canyon. When the light finally faded, Vincent blinked slightly at Aneilla's appearance.
 
She was back in her human form, in a white halter top and cut-off jean shorts, but she still had her wings, only they were smaller; sized for her human body. Up along her outer arms ran ruby-red scales that faded away to normal skin as it went around her arm and it was the same for the back and sides of her neck, the fronts of her legs and along her hairline for about an inch or so. The scales were no bigger than the pinky-nail of a baby, but they shimmered just as brightly in the moonlight as they did when she was a dragon. Vincent could see through her partly opened mouth that her teeth were slightly pointed and the nails on her fingers were claw-like. Aneilla turned slightly and Vincent could see, as her hair lifted slightly from the breeze, that the scales spread out across her back, starting from the wings and fading as it spread towards her front. She looked up at Vincent and smiled slightly. “Well, whataya know, it worked,” she said.
 
“What did you do?” Vincent asked.
 
“When I changed back, I allowed only a part of the dragon to remain, which gave me this form,” Aneilla told him. “Apparently, I have three forms; my human form, dragon form and now half dragon form. In this form, I can use my dragon power, but stay secluded if I don't want to be seen, unlike in my dragon form when it would be hard to hide when needed.” Aneilla stretched out her wings before folding them to her back. “When I lost control of myself against James, I took this form, although not to this extreme. James can get to this form only partly, but he cannot stay in it for long, which is why he's able to summon his wings, claws and fangs.”
 
Vincent nodded, but was still shocked at Aneilla's new appearance. For a moment, that feeling he had had moments before returned as he gazed at the half dragon before him. She's going to be immortal in a few years, a voice said inside of him. She is going to live just as long as you are and she's a beautiful immortal. Why are you so afraid?
 
Because, Vincent argued with the voice, I might make the same mistake like I did before with Lucrecia. I can't allow myself to head in a direction where someone I love will become hurt and I might end up losing. I don't think I'll survive if I lost another that I love so deeply like I did for her.
 
“Vince?” Aneilla asked, turning to face him fully, shaking him from his thoughts. “Are you alright?”
 
Vincent shook his head slightly and then nodded. “Yes,” he told her, “I'm fine.”
 
Aneilla didn't look convinced, but she didn't press it. Instead, she shrugged and the scales began to glow softly with red light, reminding Vincent of when the Geostigma was being healed from the water in the old church. The scales faded and the wings, glowing brightly, shrunk back into Aneilla's body. As the light faded, the young woman swayed slightly and Vincent managed to reach her to catch her before she collapsed to the ground. “Aneilla,” Vincent asked as he knelt on the ground, an arm around her shoulders to hold her up, “are you alright?”
 
“A little dizzy,” Aneilla murmured, shaking her head. “I think I'm a little worn out from today.” She was silent for a moment before she gave a weak smile. “He says I should take a day and rest, seeing as I've been working so hard.”
 
“He's right,” Vincent said, “you should rest. You have been working hard.”
 
“It's just,” Aneilla said softly, “I want to be ready in case James tries anything again. I don't want him to hurt anyone again like he did last time, `cause I'm afraid that he'll kill one of you guys next time.”
 
“He won't,” Vincent assured her. “We won't let him.”
 
Aneilla smiled slightly and rested her head against Vincent's chest. Vincent felt the speed of his heart pick up slightly. “Take me home, Vince,” she told him, “please.”
 
Vincent nodded with a slight grunt and he stood up, carrying Aneilla in his arms, holding her close. “Hold on,” he told her, and he then began to move quickly, so people would only be able to see his cloak moving swiftly across the terrain. In a few moments they were back at the bar and Vincent walked inside quietly so not to wake anyone. He carried Aneilla up to her room and laid her in her bed. He covered her up and then headed back out.
 
“Hey Vincent?”
 
Vincent turned around to see Aneilla looking at him, her crimson eyes glowing in the darkness. “Yeah?” he asked.
 
“Can I rely on you to be around, in a hundred years or so, so I won't be alone again?”
 
Vincent blinked, not expecting that question to be asked. How was he supposed to answer that? “I'm not sure,” he told her. “It's hard to tell as of right now, but, for now, I can say yes.”
 
Aneilla nodded and said, “Alright.”
 
“You know Red will be around in that time as well,” Vincent added.
 
Aneilla shrugged and said, “I know, but I want to know if someone… human… will be around.”
 
“I'm not exactly human, Aneilla…”
 
“Well, neither am I,” she said softly, “so I guess it works out.” And with that, she snuggled into her pillow and drifted off to sleep. Vincent watched her for a moment longer before walking out.
 
He never noticed the dark figure crouched outside Aneilla's partly opened window, listening to everything that had been said and had seen it all. Silver orbs blinked as they lit up again and a slight smile curled the lips. Standing, Nemo gazed once more at the sleeping woman before leaping up onto the rooftops and moving swiftly back to the hideout where James would be waiting.
 
*~*~*
 
“Really now,” James said softly after hearing Nemo's report, a smile curling his lips up wickedly. “So the deadpan Vincent Valentine is fallen in love with Aneilla, and visa versa. That is quite unexpected.”
 
Nemo nodded and said, “Thought you would like that bit of information.”
 
“And why would she ask if he was going to be around in a hundred years?” James asked, beginning to pace. “It's like she's saying that she is still going to be around in a hundred…” James stopped, realization spreading across his face.
 
“Sir?” Bear asked in his deep voice.
 
“We're immortal…” James whispered in realization. He turned to Nemo and asked, “How long, did you say, were they at Reeve Tuesti's place that time?”
 
“Several hours,” Nemo told him. “Three at the least.”
 
“Which means Tuesti has found something, and she knows it; they all know it… damn it, I want to know it.” James spun around and looked at Bear. “Gather up as many men as you can. As soon as I'm up to full strength, we head out.”
 
“But Sir, are you sure?” Nemo asked, tilting her head slightly. “You have just discovered your full power only a few days ago. Shouldn't you wait a little longer?”
 
“I have waited long enough, Nemo,” James said. “We'll leave in a week, which will give me some time to become accustom to my new power, but that's it. Now, head out and prepare the men.”
 
Both Nemo and Bear nodded and the two of them headed out. James stepped outside and went to the roof, where he could see the town of Nibelheim. They were currently hiding out at the old Mako Reactor building on the Mountain outside of the town. The building was quite large and no one ever came up here anymore because of the fear of what had once been in there. James smiled wickedly and he closed his eyes as her felt his body shift, groaning as his bones cracked, broke and reformed again and again. Soon, where a human once stood, was a jet black, lean and deadly-looking dragon. It spread its wings, its talons clicking on the rooftop's surface, the spikes running down the back of its neck, back and tail needle sharp and glistening, the spikes around the tail tip filled with poison. A crown of horns wrapped around the top of its head.
 
James opened his eyes, which glowed a feral yellow and grinned, his white fangs glistening in the moonlight. “I will have you, Aneilla,” James vowed to the other Mako Eyed.
 
“And the pretty dragon along with you...” the demon inside of James hissed.