Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Mako Eyes ❯ Truce and Capture ( Chapter 9 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Aneilla sat on the rooftop of the bar, watching as the sun began to set into the horizon. Another day, gone, and still no sign of James, Aneilla thought to herself. She closed her eyes, reaching out until she felt his spirit signature. She could feel how powerful he was, knowing that he was now at full power, and she didn't know how he had reached that extent in such time. One day, he was weaker than her, the next, he was powerful, maybe more so than herself. She has yet to tell the others of his dramatic increase in power, but she knew that she had to tell them soon. Aneilla sighed and drifted away from James signature and searched for the others. She found Cloud's easily enough, coming from right below her, with Tifa's right next to him. She felt the children's, Marlene and Denzel's, somewhere upstairs in one of their bedrooms. She could feel Nanaki's and Barret's and Cid's. Then there was Vincent's; a signature that was dark, unlike any of the others. It seemed like a vortex of darkness, swirling inside a small orb of deep blue light that was Vincent's human signature. Aneilla figured that the dark mass must be Chaos. As usual, Vincent's signature pulsed powerfully, but was dim, almost non-existent, in light.
 
I wish I could help him... but no matter how powerful I become, I don't think I can mend a broken and tormented heart.
 
“You never know until you try,” the dragon inside of her said softly.
 
But he won't let me in, no matter how much I try...
 
“Then drift around the door, letting him know that you are there for him, despite everything, and maybe he'll open that door to you. Aneilla, you have enough good in your heart for the both of you, and if you truly care for him, then you will find the power to help him. You just have to reach deep inside of yourself to find that power, just as you must for all of your power now.”
 
What... what do you mean? Aneilla asked the dragon. Won't you be here to help me?
 
“After tonight, I won't be,” the dragon told her. “I have taught you all I can and now it is time for you to be on your own. The time of the battle is fast approaching, but you are ready for it... you just have to realize that yourself.”
 
Aneilla gasped as she felt the place near her heart where the dragon resided begin to burn slightly. A red orb of light came out of her chest and hovered in front of her, pulsing with a heartbeat; her heartbeat. “Is that you?” she asked the light.
 
“Yes, it is, the last dragon, or at least I was.” The spirit of the dragon hovered close to her face, so close that Aneilla felt blinded by its glow. “Aneilla, you will soon be the last, but don't let that get you down. If you must, search the lands for any others, dragon and Dragon Child alike, until you are certain that you are the last. Always allow your heart to guide you, for the heart of a dragon is much stronger than any artifact of magic. And listen to your heart for what it tells you about Vincent, because it will help you set him free.
 
“Always remember Aneilla: you are unique, and a powerful young woman. The dragons of old would have been proud of you; I know I am.
 
Aneilla felt tears form in her eyes when she realized that this was her good-bye. She smiled and said, “Thank you, for everything.”
 
“Take care, Aneilla,” the dragon said and it then broke apart into tiny glowing specks, drifting up to the heavens.
 
“Wait,” Aneilla called, looking up at the departing dragon spirit. “You never told me your name.”
 
“My name is Spartan,” he told her, “and I will always be with you, watching over you, until it is your time to return to the planet.” And then with that, he was gone.
 
Aneilla looked down at the rooftop, fighting to hold back the tears. “Spartan,” she whispered, a smile forming on her lips. “Thank you, Spartan.”
 
“Aneilla!”
 
Aneilla jumped to her feet and went to the roof's edge quickly, looking down. She could see Yuffie looking up at her, fear on her face. “Yuffie, what's wrong?” Aneilla asked.
 
“It's Reeve,” Yuffie cried. “Reno just called and said that he and Rude found Reeve at his place. Aneilla, Reeve's been hurt, real badly! He's been attacked!”
 
*~*~*
 
Cloud walked through Reeve's office, broken glass crunching underneath his boots. The entire place was a mess, as if a tornado had ripped through the apartment. Cloud sighed as he turned a chair back upright, only to have it fall as one of the legs broke off. “I give you one guess as to who did this,” he muttered angrily.
 
“James…” Aneilla said, coming up from behind him. Cloud watched as she walked past him over to one of the walls where deep gorges had been carved deep into the drywall and wood by seemed like large claws. Her hand tightened its grip on her handgun that she named Sirius. “James did this… and I can't help but feel that it's my fault.”
 
“It's not, Aneilla,” Cloud said sharply. “So don't even begin to think that.”
 
Aneilla didn't respond, but instead turned back to Cloud and asked, “Where is Reeve now?”
 
“At the hospital… Vincent and Barret went there to check up on him. They said that they would call to report anything.” Cloud walked over to Reeve's computer where Cait Sith was hooked up to it, trying to see if anything was missing and whether or not their fears were confirmed. Red stood near the cat creature, long tail swaying. “Find anything yet?” Cloud asked the two.
 
Cait Sith sighed and looked up at Cloud, eyes worried. “I've gone through everything almost three times. It's all gone; the research that Reeve pulled up on the entire project has been taken. That humanoid must have pulled out everything.”
 
Cloud sighed wearily and ran a hand through his already messy hair. “So now they'll know everything… and James will realize that he is now an immortal.” He looked over at Aneilla and asked, “Can you find his spirit signature?”
 
Aneilla closed her crimson eyes for a moment before opening them again with a shake of her head. “I can sense it, but I still can't locate it.”
 
“So now he has the upper hand, although we have the same knowledge,” Red said, looking between the two warriors. “We were better off him not knowing of his immortality… now that he does know, or soon will, he will be more keen to taking out Shinra, and then possibly the entire city. It's like Vincent said; the demon inside of him is starting to take over and James is letting it because it gives him power.”
 
“But soon he'll realize that the power won't be his own anymore, but by then it would be too late,” Aneilla said. “But it would also be too late for us because probably by that time, he would have already taken out half the planet.”
 
“We have to stop him,” Cloud said, “as soon as possible.”
 
“But how?” Cait Sith exclaimed. “He's an immortal.”
 
“Ah, but you forget,” Aneilla said with a slight smirk. “You have a Dragon Child on your side, who is just as powerful as James, if not more, and even though he may be immortal, he can still be killed. Lucky for us, James is a cocky bastard…”
 
“And the cockier they are, the harder they fall,” Cid said as he walked into the ruined apartment. The pilot looked at all four of them before turning to Cloud. Jerking a thumb back behind him, he said, “Rufus Shinra's looking for you, Spike, and he seems like its urgent.”
 
“And now the shit hits the fan,” Cloud muttered as he headed towards the door. He looked over in slight shock as Aneilla started to follow him. “You're coming?” he asked.
 
Aneilla shrugged and said, “I've got nothing to hide, at least as far as he knows. Besides, I want to know what he wants and what he has to say in all of this.”
 
Cloud just nodded and he continued out. The two of them walked out of the apartment building and immediately saw Rufus Shinra near a black car, along with Reno and Rude. The President of the newly founded Shinra Company was talking to the two Turks as Cloud and Aneilla approached. Rufus was still recovering from his bout of the Geostigma and was still in his wheelchair. The three men turned their heads towards Cloud and Aneilla as they got closer. Rufus turned his chair so he was facing them and nodded to Cloud. “Cloud,” he said in greeting.
 
Cloud returned the nod and replied, “Rufus.” He then nodded to Aneilla saying, “This is Aneilla.”
 
Aneilla gave a nod to Rufus and for a split second, Cloud saw a flash of anger in the woman's red eyes.
 
Rufus nodded to Aneilla, not noticing the anger that had appeared briefly in her eyes, before turning back to Cloud. “Do you have any idea what happened here? If Reno and Rude didn't decide to stop by to pay their old friend and co-worker a visit, Reeve would be dead by now.”
 
Cloud sighed, knowing that he couldn't hide this from Shinra… at least not all of it. “Do you remember the Dragon Child Project, or Mako Child Project?”
 
Rufus frowned and then shook his head slightly. “I remember some of it. I was young when my father had control over that project. But it was announced a failure and the orphanage fire…” Rufus's eyes suddenly widened in realization. “Did one of the children escape the fire?”
 
Cloud nodded and said, “Yeah, the man who attacked Reeve was a Dragon Child, now in full power and an immortal.”
 
“So your father's project wasn't a failure,” Aneilla said coldly, “which means he is responsible for the murder of several innocent children.”
 
Rufus looked at Aneilla, eyes narrowing slightly, before saying, “You are one too, aren't you?”
 
Aneilla jolted and Cloud stared at Rufus. How had he known? Before Cloud could ask, Aneilla glared dangerously at Rufus and said, “And if I am… Are you going to finish off what your father failed to accomplish and kill me? Or are you going to take me into a lab and run some tests? Because if you are, you have another thing coming, because I will kill you before I allow you to do any such thing on me.”
 
Rufus looked at Aneilla and said, “I'm not going to do anything to you. It was my father's project, and I don't approve of human experimentations. I'm not the man I once was Aneilla, and I am sorry for the hell my father may have put you through. I take full responsibility, as President of the Shinra Company, for everything that you went through in your life.”
 
Cloud looked at Aneilla and expected the woman to lash out again. Instead, she nodded and said, “I accept your apology, but don't expect me to trust you as quickly. One wrong move in my eyes, and I will kill you. Understood?”
 
Rufus nodded and said, “Completely.”
 
“Now that that is done and over with,” Cloud said with a soft sigh, “Rufus, you need to know that James, the man that attacked Reeve, and his men are coming after the Shinra Company, and you. And I don't think he cares that the Company has different aims now like we do. He sees you as your father… let me add that this guy is a little insane and that the dragon demon inside of him may be starting to take over. We think that once he done dealing with you, he's going to aim for the rest of the world.”
 
Rufus chuckled slightly and shook his head. “My old man's been dead for years and I'm still repaying and cleaning up after his mistakes.” Rufus looked at Aneilla and Cloud and said, “I need to know everything you know and I'm going to need help. This is going to become a war, for I will be damned to let some demon try to take out this city, or this entire planet, again.”
 
“We'll be helping,” Aneilla said. “I'm the only one who can really go against James and make an attempt to take him out. I'm sure that he has an entire army set up for this battle.”
 
“And it won't be easy,” Cloud added. “These guys are tough and they won't fall easily.”
 
Rufus nodded and said, “Just tell me everything that you know.”
 
*~*~*
 
Preparing for another war was the last thing Vincent wanted to deal with, but there was no use in dwelling on it. Members of the newly founded World Regenesis Organization were prepping up for the upcoming battle against James and his force. They wanted to be ready, because they had no idea when the attack was going to fall. Vincent walked through the corridors of The Shera, Cid's airship. They already decided on two attack forces; air and ground. Vincent, Cid, Aneilla, Yuffie, Reno and Rude were part of the air force while Cloud, Tifa, Barret, Red XIII, Cait Sith and Reeve were on the ground and the WRO members separated between the two. Cid will be in command of the airship fleet while Vincent, Yuffie, Reno and Rude were leading different squads into battle. Aneilla herself would change into her dragon form and take to the skies alongside the airship fleet and move between each force, taking out any of the enemy's larger weapons and, when the time came, James.
 
Midgar had been evacuated, leaving a ghost city and the Shinra Company. Everyone was now in Kalm, waiting for the signal to attack James when he moves into Midgar. Hopefully, James wouldn't expect such a large attack.
 
Vincent walked out of the ship and looked around, staring at the town of Kalm. It seemed peaceful, despite the fact of the preparations of battle. With a soft sigh, Vincent turned and started to walk out of the town towards the cliffs on the outskirts. He was walking for only a few moments until he heard a soft growl from one of the ledges above him. He stopped and looked up at where Aneilla was lying on the ledge several feet above him, her head lifted up and looking out over the town. Her scales reflected the light of the moon and her crimson eyes glowed softly. Her tail was curled around her body, front claws resting in front of her, hind claws at either side. “What is it?” Vincent asked her.
 
“I'm beginning to wonder if this world will ever have its time of peace,” Aneilla said, her eyes never leaving the sight of the town. “Two years ago, the planet was threatened by Sephiroth and Meteor, but the Lifestream saved it. Then not even seven months ago, the remnants of Sephiroth, Kadaj and his gang, tried to bring Sephiroth back so he could once again attempt to take over the planet. Now James is going to try to accomplish what Sephiroth has failed. The planet is crying, but you cannot hear it.” Aneilla turned her head slightly to stare out across the cliffs and plains that she could see from where she sat. “I'm lying here, listening to the suffering of the planet, how it cries for peace, and the more I listen, the more anxious I get to feel James's neck crunch between my jaws.”
 
“Do you believe there will ever be peace?” Vincent asked.
 
“It's hard to tell,” Aneilla replied with a soft sigh. “Dragons have always been connected to the planet, somewhat like the Ancients, so that's why I know what the planet is feeling, but it doesn't tell me if the wars and battles will finally end.”
 
Vincent grunted and said, “It'll probably never end. There will always be hate and suffering. That's just how the world is.”
 
“Maybe... and maybe not. We cannot predict the future, only time can.”
 
“You've changed in the past couple months.”
 
“A lot has happened, and I've come to accept it,” Aneilla looked down at Vincent and gave him a smile. “I'm ready for anything the world sends at me.” She then chuckled and then said, “Might as well, seeing as I'm going to be in it for a long time.”
 
Vincent nodded and then he continued on his way, leaving Aneilla behind. She and I will be the only ones left after the others return to the Lifestream, he thought. But it doesn't mean that I can allow myself to become attached. She can die anytime before her twenty-fifth year, and can still be killed even when she does become immortal.
 
Vincent's thoughts were interrupted by the sound of scraping claws on rock above him. Thinking that it was Aneilla, Vincent just stopped and looked up, about to ask why she was following him. Instead, he was struck in the chest by a large, heavy, black tail and Vincent could feel the barbs on the tail tip drive into his chest. Vincent let out a grunt of pain as he flew against a cliff side, already beginning to feel poison run through his bloodstream. He tried to move, to push himself to his feet, but found with surprise that he couldn't.
 
“Bind him, a sinister voice said from the ledges across from him. “The poison has already begun to have its affects on him. He will be unable to move or fight back for some time.”
 
Vincent felt himself being lifted up and then felt his hands tied behind his back, but no matter how much he tried, his body would not listen to his mind. As he was dropped back to the ground, he saw one of his captors and recognized the humanoid called Nemo. A cold chuckling could be heard and Vincent shifted his eyes towards the laughter. He watched as a jet black dragon dropped lightly down from the ledge where it had been waiting in ambush. The cold topaz eyes Vincent knew immediately. James...
 
“And here I thought you would be difficult to catch,” James mused as Vincent was tugged up into a kneeling position, by the large black man he remembered being called Bear, by the back of his cloak. “Silly me...”
 
Vincent tried to speak, to ask what he wanted, but the only sound that came out was a groan. But James seemed to know what he wanted to ask because he answered his question. “I want you pretty dragon, Valentine, and you're going to be the bait. She should be here any moment now...”
 
Sure enough, Vincent heard an angry snarling from up above and with a large crash, Aneilla landed a few feet away. Crouching low, she roared at James, eyes glowing fiercely, her fangs glowing in the moonlight. Aneilla, don't... he tried to say, but once again, only a groan escaped from his mouth.
 
“So you've come,” James said, facing Aneilla.
 
“Let him go, demon,” Aneilla hissed.
 
“Sorry, dearest, but no,” James said, smiling wickedly. “But you can have two choices; leave now, and I will kill him, or join me and I guarantee that he will stay alive as long as you are loyal to me.”
 
Aneilla, no... Vincent thought as he saw the young woman recoil, her eyes glazed with sorrow. He worked his mouth, finding that he had some control, even though it wasn't enough to fight, but it was enough to get out, “Aneilla… don't… get out of here…”
 
Aneilla looked at him and he could see the torment in her eyes. The two of them stared at each other for a long time and although Vincent had begged her not to, he could already see her decision in her eyes. Aneilla moaned softly and looked away. “I... can't...” she told him softly. Vincent groaned and allowed his head to hang. From the corner of his eye, he saw the red light indicating Aneilla's transformation. “Do you swear it?” Aneilla asked James. “Do you swear that you will not kill him if I join you?”
 
“Of course,” James said.
 
“Will you release him?”
 
James laughed at that and said, “Oh no, dearest, for you see, I'm going to need him to make sure you stay loyal.”
 
Vincent heard Aneilla snarl as she said, “You bastard…”
 
James laughed and then he said, “Let's go, before those who heard Aneilla's roaring come here.”
 
Vincent was lifted up and he found that he could walk some, but not without the help of Bear. He took a quick look behind him to see Aneilla being led by Nemo, who had one hand gripping the girl's arm. He got eye contact with Aneilla for a moment before she turned away, avoiding his eyes. Vincent turned when Bear gave him a shove that cause him to stumble slightly and Vincent didn't try looking back again.