Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Mako Eyes ❯ Our Farewell ( Epilogue )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own the song or the lyrics of “Our Farewell”. It belongs to Within Temptation.
 
Vincent stood near the window that looked over the city of Kalm in his apartment. He just heard from Cloud, telling him that everything was fine in Midgar and Edge, so Vincent was content. Even still, he couldn't help but wonder if things had finally settled down, or a new evil would rise and cause chaos in the world again. I guess time will tell...
 
A creak in the floorboards caused him to turn around as Aneilla approached. He was somewhat surprised to see a pack on her back and see her dressed for travel. “You're leaving…” he said, knowing that it was stupid to ask. She had been living with him for a little over a month now and she had seemed happy. He couldn't understand why she was leaving.
 
Aneilla nodded, looking down at the floor as she did. “I… I have to go…” she said softly.
 
“What do you mean?”
 
“I have to know…” she said softly. “I have to know if I'm truly the last, or if there are other Dragon Children out there. And I want to find them, before they end up like James did, or worse. And I need to find my place in the world, now that I'm a part of it.”
 
“You have a place,” Vincent said. “Your place is here…” He was about to say, with me, but decided against it. “…with us.”
 
Aneilla looked up at him and smiled. He had a feeling that she knew what he was going to say before changing it. “I know, but, in a way, it's not enough… it's hard to explain, but I think you understand, more than anyone else would.”
 
Vincent nodded and said, “Yeah, I do.”
 
She nodded and dropped her bag to the floor. She walked up to him and before he knew it, Aneilla wrapped her arms around Vincent in an embrace. Hesitantly, Vincent wrapped his own arms around her and then he tightened his embrace when it dawned on him that she was truly leaving.
 
“Aneilla,” Vincent said softly, “I don't want you to leave. I don't want to be… alone…”
 
“You are not alone in life,” Aneilla said, her head resting against his chest, “although you might think that you are. You have people who care about you all the time, no matter how far away from them you are. Even when they die, they are still with you; in the wind, sun, earth. No matter what, you are never alone.” She looked up at him and smiled, her eyes shimmering with unshed tears. “If there was one thing I learned while living, that would be it.”
 
Vincent looked at her and said, “I still don't want you to leave. You are the only one who seems to understand me and what I go through every day.”
 
Aneilla placed her hands on either side of his face and said, “I'll come back, I promise… I just don't know when.” Then she reached up and kissed him lightly on the lips.
 
At that moment, Vincent made a decision. When Aneilla pulled away, he took one of her hands with his right one and pulled her back for another kiss, this time making it last longer. I'll wait for her, he thought, even if I have to wait until the end of time, I will wait for her to come back. When they finally pulled away, Vincent could see the tears running down from Aneilla's softly glowing eyes. With a small smile, he gently brushed them away. Cupping her cheek with his hand, he said, “I'm holding you to that promise.”
 
Aneilla smiled and they embraced one last time. Then Aneilla slowly pulled away, going to retrieve her bag. Wiping her eyes, she gave him a playful glare before saying, “Damn you, Vincent Valentine, you made this harder than I wanted it to be.”
 
Vincent laughed softly and shrugged slightly, saying, “I tend to do that sometimes.”
 
Aneilla gave him one last smile before saying, “I love you, Vincent… Goodbye…”
 
“Goodbye Aneilla,” Vincent replied. “I love you…” He watched as she turned and walked out the door, closing it softly behind her. He didn't feel the single tear as it slid down his face as he whispered, “This is not our farewell.”
 
 
Within Temptation
“Our Farewell”
 
In my hands
A legacy of memories
I can hear you say my name
I can almost see your smile
Feel the warmth of your embrace
But there is nothing but silence now
Around the one I loved
Is this our farewell?

Sweet darling you worry too much, my child
See the sadness in your eyes
You are not alone in life
Although you might think that you are
Never thought
This day would come so soon
We had no time to say goodbye
How can the world just carry on?
I feel so lost when you are not at my side
But there's nothing but silence now
Around the one I loved
Is this our farewell?
 
Sweet darling you worry too much, my child
See the sadness in your eyes
You are not alone in life
Although you might think that you are

So sorry your world is tumbling down
I will watch you through these nights
Rest your head and go to sleep
Because my child, this not our farewell.
This is not our farewell.
 
 
Oh my gosh it's finally done… but of course, I had to end it in a way so there will be a sequel :D
 
I wanna thank those who gave me reviews and helped me get this story done. And, you won't have to wait long for the sequel, because I am working on it now… and for those who liked the Vincent/Aneilla pairing… well, you may not like the beginning >.>' but I'm not saying anything of what's gonna happen :P The prologue and first few chapters I will put up in a few weeks, but for now, here's a sneak peek of what's to come:
 
496 years later
 
Nanaki stood on the cliff, overlooking the ruined city of Midgar. The once great city, were so many battles had taken place, was now nothing more than an overgrown memory. The old buildings were covered with vegetation and greenery, as was the landscape surrounding it. But the only creatures living in the once human inhabited city were now wild beasts and fiends. The only ones still alive that were around during its glory days were himself, Vincent Valentine and Aneilla Crimsonwing. But Aneilla had up and disappeared and Vincent… Nanaki sighed deeply, hanging his head.
 
Three hundred and ninety-six years ago, Vincent went into a sort of mad rage when he realized that what his friends told him a hundred years before after he came out of his coma was true: that the love of his life since Lucrecia was never coming back, that she left him, just as Lucrecia left him years before. He was determined to kill the dragon that had broken his heart and set out to hunt her down. Nanaki couldn't stop him, had tried, but failed, because he couldn't tell the heartbroken man the real reason of the dragon's disappearance.
 
She saved his life, and then, for the best of both their lives, she disappeared, never telling them where she went. Of course, Nanaki and the others saw the results of the work she'd been doing when she was gone from their lives. Dragons, the peaceful kind, began appearing and helping in the reconstruction of the world and fight against those who tried to stop them from doing so. Lands that had been blasted from Meteorfall once more grew greenery and life, the deserts around Midgar and Edge became lush forests and the world went from brown and dead looking to green and full of life. For over a hundred years, the dragons worked, and then Deepground returned, around the same time Vincent went into his heartbroken rage.
 
Nanaki lifted his head to the sky and spoke softly. “Why Aneilla, why must you torment him so? Hasn't he suffered enough?”
 
But he didn't receive and answer and he had a feeling that he never will.