Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Monsters Within ❯ Chapter 1

[ A - All Readers ]

Spell materia held some use, unlike chancy Status materia or weak Support orbs; all tools to be used or discarded according to need. But Summon materia enthralled him. He imagined monsters coiled within the crimson crystals, biding their time in slow slumbering eternity. Anyone's command could set them free, but only the truly strong-willed could harness the incalcuable power; turn destruction loose and rein it back, and burn white-hot with alien rage.

Sephiroth dreamed in shades of icy green and grey, with pinpricks of Summon materia scattered like drops of blood flying off the end of Masamune. The tiny glowing spheres multiplied rapidly, doubling and doubling again, filling his dreamscape with refracted fire and each glittering crystal became the staring eye of a monster beyond imagining...

He woke slick with sweat and tangled in a veil of silver threads. The room loomed large and black, complicated light fixture swaying in the sweltering breeze that blew in off Junon's polluted shores. It hung over his bed like doom about to fall, and despite himself, the great General flinched away. City lights twinkled in the chandelier's crystal, reflecting back tiny points of shining red light.

Sephiroth wrapped his arms around himself despite the warm air and shuddered. His disjointed dreams grew wilder each night, the echoes never fully leaving his mind. He wished for combat: clean steel and the rush of magic behind his pale green eyes, and the high sweet song of summon monsters roaring in his ears. Everything seemed so easy in the chaos of battle; choices stripped away, leaving only decisions, calm and cold. No echoes. No voices, murmuring at the nape of his neck.

Summon materia fascinated Sephiroth, because the monsters that lived within were so easily contained.