Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ My Happy Ending ❯ Companionship ( Chapter 14 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter 14: Companionship
“I just want someone to say to me,
I'll always be there when you wake.
You know I like to keep my cheeks dry today,
So stay with me and I'll have it made.”
-Blind Melon “No Rain”
The following afternoon, Cid impatiently waited for Raye to bring the parts that he needed. Earlier that morning he and his new companion rose early, and Cid went down to a small grocery store, leaving the pup at home, to buy a bag of dog food, a collar, a couple of bowls, and a leash. The clerk seemed surprised at the items the Captain had bought, but he asked no questions as he rang up the total.
The pilot retuned to his house and found that the little dog shredded some newspaper and peed right in the middle of them, shocking Cid that the dog had the audacity to urinate in his house. After he got over the initial surprise, he was pissed. His house was not a fucking toilet!
Taking a magazine and rolling it up, Cid picked up the dog, swatted it, and told him, “Don't piss in my house, goddammit! Pee outside!”
With that Cid placed the canine outside, tied him to the fence on the leash he bought, and went back in to clean up the yellow puddle on his hardwood floor along with the shredded paper. Cid could already see that this was more work than he anticipated, and was thus inducted into the world of pet ownership.
“Note to self: buy chew toys,” Cid thought as he disposed of the paper into his trashcan.
After the mess was cleaned up, Cid went back out to the dog and glared at him sternly. It looked up at Cid, seemingly pleading the pilot to forgive him, and Cid just couldn't resist the animal's expression, causing him to finally relent and let the animal off the leash.
“Yer more trouble than you're worth, ya know that? Come on, Captain. Let's go up to the hangar.”
Cid started up toward the hangar with the dog trailing on his heels doing his best to keep up with Cid's long strides. He cringed at the fact that he actually called the animal by a name - Captain. Where'd that come from? He was just going to get rid of him anyway. The Airmaster sighed, admitting that it was rather nice having a friend around, even if it was the four-legged kind.
Once in the hangar Cid decided to work on the blueprints for his airship a little more while he waited for Raye. He sat down at a drawing table in a small office he had, picked up his pencil, and began to draw.
It was not more than five minutes after he sat down when he heard a crash followed by a spreading clanking noise. Suspicious, Cid got up to investigate the racket, and he discovered the little grey puppy with his head stuck in an empty oil filter carton trying to paw it off and a pile of bad parts that fell over and scattered across the hangar floor. The pup backed up and shook his head back and forth until he bumped into the toe of Cid's boot, causing the pilot to begin laughing hysterically.
“You're an ornery little shit, ya know that?” he said as be bent down to free his companion.
“Who's an ornery little shit?” a voice asked.
Cid looked up to see Raye standing in the doorway of the hangar.
The fair-haired man blushed for a moment. “I…uh…this little shit.”
Tossing the empty carton over his shoulder, he picked up the little dog, and held him in the crook of his muscular arm.
Raye gasped and smiled.
“Oh! It's so cute!” she squealed. Then her face fell into confusion, and she arched an eyebrow. “Wait a minute…since when do you have a dog?”
The pilot sighed. “Since last night. Ya want him?”
Raye walked up to Cid, and took the little animal from Cid into her own arms. The dog wagged its tail wildly and tried to lick the red headed girl in the face causing her to giggle. She looked up at Cid as she let the dog playfully chew on her hand.
“I wish I could have a dog,” she said, “but my dad would blow a fit if I brought one home.”
“Yeah? He dun like dogs?”
“Well, it's not that...it's just that he always had this standing rule: `six kids, NO pets'.”
“Mmm…I see,” he said.
“But I would take him if he'd let me. My brother Mark would love to have a dog more than any of us in our family.”
“How come?”
“Eh, he's always been an animal lover,” Raye explained. “In fact he wants to be a veterinarian when he grows up. He already volunteers at our neighbor's animal clinic on Saturdays, so he's getting a head start.”
“Ya don't say?” Cid replied, surprised that a twelve-year-old boy would be allowed to do that. “What happens if he gets bit?”
“The veterinarian won't let him handle the mean ones, and if there is one who acts like it's gonna bite, he goes to get the doctor or one of the assistants. Most of the time he cleans cages, feeds them, and helps get clients into the exam room. Then he gets to stay in the room and observe what the doctor is doing. He only has to do it for a few hours since the office is only open a half day on Saturday.”
“Sounds like a job for him if that's what he wants to do. So, did ya bring my parts?”
“Yeah,” Raye answered. “They're in the truck.”
Cid paused. They were in the truck? He didn't hear her truck pull up.
“In the truck? Wait a sec…did ya fix it?”
Raye beamed spiritedly. “Heh, better. I got a new one. Come on, I'll show ya.”
The girl put the dog down and led Cid outside the hangar to a shiny, brand new pick-up truck sitting beautifully just outside the door. The vehicle was bigger, sleeker than the old one with an extended cab, with a beautiful black paint job that gleamed in the sunlight, chrome bumpers and trim. Cid deducted that the engine had to be a V-8 type with fuel injection.
“Damn…” Cid gaped. “That definitely ain't the truck that was here the other day!”
“And thank fucking gawd, too,” Raye said, a huge beam on her face. “I gave that other one the old heave-ho straight into the scrap yard.”
“You mean you weren't kidding?!”
“Nope. I said I was gonna do it, and I did.”
Cid laughed. “Damn, I bet ol' Rick was pissed.”
Raye began to laugh. “Oh, my gawd, Dad was absolutely livid! He still isn't speaking to me right now, but I sure don't hear him bitching when he drives this sweet ass ride.”
Cid again laughed. He could just imagine the look on Rick's face when his daughter came home with a brand new vehicle rather than that old, beat up, piece of shit truck. He thought Raye sounded serious about getting rid of the thing, but he figured she was just saying that because she was irritated.
“You…you mind if I have a look at her?” Cid hesitated.
“Sure. Go right ahead,” Raye told him, popping the hood.
“Mako-powered?”
“Hell no. I fucking hate Mako-powered shit.”
“How come?”
“Have you ever worked on one of those? Gawd, I had to take a special course to learn how to work on them, and I've never had to do that with anything before. Plus there is the fact that nothing beats a good old fashioned piston engine.”
“I agree,” Cid remarked, peering under the hood. “Damn! V-8, I'm guessin'?”
“You betcha,” Raye proudly said.
Cid sniggered and noted the triumphant smirk on her face. “Gee, you're not proud of this thing.”
“Oh, no, not at all,” Raye answered playfully sacrcastic.
Cid carefully closed the hood and looked inside. The interior still had that `new-car smell', and it was all neat and clean.
“I see there are no holes in your floorboard,” the pilot teased.
Raye laughed. “Yeah! I guess I don't have to worry about putting my foot through!”
The redhead climbed into the shiny new bed of the vehicle, leaving Cid to look over the body and other features. She untied a few boxes that she fastened down to keep from sliding, and handed them to Cid before hopping out over the side and landing next to him.
“That all you need to keep you busy?” she asked.
Cid looked down at his boxes. “Yeah…yeah I think I can actually make some progress on this now.”
Raye looked at her watch. “I probably should go. It'll be late when I get home and I still have a ton to do.”
Cid looked slightly disappointed she was leaving. He already found her to be good company, and for some reason everything was less monotonous when she was around. Then again, he understood that she had other, and probably better, things to do with her time than hang out with him.
“Yeah…you ought to get movin' if yer gonna make that ferry.”
Raye got in and went to start the new vehicle, but she suddenly remembered something.
“Oh! Before I forget…” She reached over to the passenger seat, took out a box that held index cards and handed it to the blond.
“What's this?”
“I went through my recipe book and copied down some more things for you to try. They're all easy and relatively quick. I'll bring more as I find some,” Raye explained.
“Oh. Er…thanks.”
Raye cracked a small smile and started her vehicle. “You know where to find me if you need anything. And bring that dog by my house sometime, if you're ever around. I bet my brother would love to play with him.”
“Yeah…okay…I'll, uh, see ya around, then,” Cid said.
He watched Raye drive off toward her way home, the vehicle eventually disappearing over the hills in the distance. The dog made its home among a pile of empty boxes in the hangar. He looked up at Cid expectantly and let out a small `bark'.
“What the hell you barkin' at? I dun take orders from you,” Cid said with a grin.
The dog stood up and wagged its short little tail. He walked over, pawed at Cid's boot, and went down into a play bow. The pilot sniggered at his new little friend.
“Sorry, Pup,” he said. “I got work to do.”
Later…
Raye arrived in Costa del Sol, and since she was a little early for the ferry, she decided to stop in and check on Shera's progress with her store. The woman walked past the other shops, looked inside the window, and saw Shera busily hammering together what would be her counter.
Raye opened the door and walked in, startling Shera and causing her to look up.
“Sorry, I didn't mean to scare ya,” Raye said.
Shera smiled warmly as she was glad to have some kind of company. “Hello, Raye. How are you?”
“Good, thanks. You too busy to chat for awhile?”
“Oh, no! I enjoy the company.” Shera put down her hammer and walked over to Raye. “Where is Brad?”
“Oh, he's back at the shop. He didn't get to go with me this time,” Raye explained. “But he sure wanted to.”
Shera sighed. “I bet. I hope I can see him soon. I don't want him thinking I forgot about him.”
“Believe me, he won't let you forget about him,” Raye said with a laugh. “He likes hanging out with you.”
“I don't see why. I'm nothing special.”
“Well, sure you are, Shera! Brad thinks really highly of you.”
“He does?”
“He talks about you all the time.”
Shera giggled a bit and sat down on the floor, extending an inviting hand toward Raye. “Have a seat.”
Raye sat down next to her on the hardwood floor. She really kind of liked Shera, and Raye decided that she wanted to get to know her a little bit more, especially since she didn't have many female friends in the first place.
“Hey, Shera,” Raye said.
“Yes?”
“Thanksgiving is just around the corner, you know, and I was wondering what you will be doing.”
Shera looked thoughtful. “Well, I usually spend it with my family in Kalm.”
“Oh, okay. That's cool then.”
“Why?”
“Well…” Raye grinned. “I thought it would be an awesome surprise for Brad if you came over for Thanksgiving.”
“Really? You're inviting me?”
“Well, if you have other plans, that's…”
“No, no!” Shera interrupted excitedly. “I would love to come over! I can do your house and my family in one day. My family eats early in the day, so I can be there in the evening.”
“Really?!” Raye said with enthusiasm. “That would be great! And if you want, you can stay the night, and we can go downtown and hit all the sales and get the Christmas shopping out of the way!”
Shera pondered this over for a moment. She worked very hard lately, and she felt like she needed a break. Shera's original goal was to have the store open by at least the first of December at the latest, but the decorating and building was taking longer than anticipated since it was just she that was doing all the work. She saved a little money back specifically for Christmas, and she thought it would be nice to have someone to talk to while she shopped.
“Well, alright,” she finally agreed.
Raye grinned. “Awesome, and maybe we can get some ideas for a theme in here and get cracking on design.”
“That would certainly help,” Shera admitted. “I wanted to open the first of December at the latest, but I don't think it will happen that soon with it being just me.”
“Wait…no one else is helping you when Brad isn't?”
Shera nodded her head. “No, it's just me.”
Raye thought this over a minute. “You know our shop is open a half day on Saturday and closed on Sundays. We could come out Saturday afternoon and stay over to help you all day Sunday.”
Shera looked surprised. “But, Raye…that…that's your day off. I can't have you do that.”
“Nonsense. I know Brad would be up to it,” Raye urged. “Besides, we all benefit from it. Brad gets to see you, you get things done faster, and me, well, I'll have some ideas for a mural.”
“A wall painting? Really? Are you an artist or something?”
“You could say that,” Raye said. “I love to draw and paint and I have this wall in my room that is a mural you can autograph.”
“Oh, wow!” Shera breathed. “I could never be that creative.”
Raye looked at her watch and stood up. “Crap. I have to go. You got a pencil?”
Shera got Raye a pencil and piece of paper. The redhead jotted down her cell phone number and her email address on the scrap.
“Here, give me a call on this number when you decide what time you'll be over on Thanksgiving. This way Brad won't suspect anything if he answers and you ask for me.”
“Okay,” Shera replied. “Thanks for stopping by.”
“No problem. I wish I could stay and help,” Raye said.
“Oh, that's okay. I'll manage - I always do. Tell Brad I said hello - oh! Before I forget, tell him I will be getting a phone sometime next week.”
Raye smiled. “Alright. See you later, Sher.”
Raye left Shera and went down to the ferry docks to start for home. The engineer stood in her shop alone, slightly tired, but happy that she had actually been invited to celebrate Thanksgiving with Raye and her family.
Truthfully, Shera very much dreaded going to her parents' house in Kalm for any kind of get together. It wasn't that she didn't love her family; it was that she got along with them better when she wasn't around them. Her mother had a tendency to be a bit overbearing at times, and her father highly disapproved of her previous living situation with Cid, making sure to let her know it. To make matters worse, her brother's wife always had a grudge against Shera for reasons unbeknownst to the engineer, and he was really the only person with whom she got along.
Brad told her when they were priming the walls that he really wanted her to meet his family. She already met Raye, and Shera found that she was quite fond of the redhead, though she didn't know her well. It astounded her that Brad helped Raye with a lot of work and that he had the patience to put up with four younger brothers, a load of work in the shop, and help his older sister take care of household duties. Was there anything that Brad couldn't do?
Shera sighed and returned to building her counter. She liked him - a lot. He was different from most men, especially Cid. In fact, Cid just did not hold a candle to the sweet, sensitive Bradley Shields. Sure, the Captain was quite handsome, and she liked his gruffness, but then again, Brad was also an attractive male in a different way. To Shera it seemed that comparing the two was like the difference between a pillow and a tire.
Brad was like a pillow: soft, conforming, constant and supportive, and always there when you need one. He was the man every woman dreamed of having - sweet and sensitive by nature, a gentleman who treated women as well as others with respect, doesn't mind a little housework, honest, and loves to cook. And like a pillow, he could be used as a devious weapon.
Cid, on the other hand, was the complete opposite. Shera found him to be the tire: rigid, strong, relentless, but will eventually wear down. He wasn't always pleasant, but he was necessary, and he could either save a life or plow someone over. Additionally, there was the risk of balding.
Shera snorted at that last thought and almost burst out laughing. She was actually making fun of Cid! The woman decided she must be moving on for sure if she was able to poke fun at her dear Captain a little.
The woman's smile faded as she began to wonder what it was that she ever saw in Cid. She loved him; that was no lie. Why or how it came to that, she didn't know, but she loved him wholeheartedly, and that's why she accepted everything. He gave her confidence and security, but once the launch failed, she became timid and self-doubting.
He was hard on her for the failed mission, and she succumbed to her anxiety, spending almost six years taking his blame and bottling her pain inside, accepting that everything was entirely her fault, even though she knew deep down she was only doing her job. She was patient with him for all those years and always tried to be understanding, but what did that get her? Instead of getting her man in the end, all she got was the same old habits, and old habits often died hard.
The former engineer sighed. All of that was behind her now, and she resolved when she first arrived that she was going to move on. She was not going to cling to memories of unrequited love and dead dreams. She was going to move on and live her life, as she was never able to before. She was going to weave new dreams and a new future, and hopefully find someone to share them with when the time was right. She would be walking on Dream Street…
An epiphany hit Shera like a sack of bricks. Dream Street! That was it! That was the name of her store! The name of her store, she decided, would be a symbol of her new future and the work it took to get there.
Shera looked out the large store window toward the sun setting over the ocean. The seagulls flew swiftly overhead, calling out to the sky, and Shera smiled a little. The woman thought about Brad and how happy he would be to see her on Thanksgiving. She thought about finally getting her shop open for business and being able to sell her goods and do something she never thought she could possibly do. Again, her thoughts reverted to Brad. If it hadn't been for him and suggesting she stay and give it a try, she would still be wandering, or worse, be living with her parents until she was an old maid.
Deciding to go and eat some dinner, Shera locked up her business in progress and strolled down the boardwalk toward a small café on the beach that had little tables outside and great daiquiris and food. She went out to a favorite dining area of hers that overlooked the water and watched the tide wash over the sand as she sipped on a strawberry daiquiri. Could life be better than this?