Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Only a Plank Between One and Perdition ❯ Is there in truth no beauty? ( Chapter 2 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: Why do I need one? I don't own it!
 
 
Only a Plank Between One and Perdition
 
 
Chapter Two — Is there in truth no beauty?
 
 
Yuna Bustamante, you are one strange looking girl.
 
 
 
Yuna was doing her twice-daily facial ritual. Everytime she looked into a mirror or some reflective surface, she always examined her eyes.
 
Ever since she was a young girl, she was picked on for her abnormal eyes. One iris, her left, was a deep shade of blue while the other was a vibrant forest green. There was no cool swirly Al Bhed design like her cousin Rikku had, or a thunderbolt design like her first roommate, Brittany Martin, had. They were just plain old eyes and plain old features. No matter how many compliments she received from random guys, she still thought she was a plain Jane. The fact that most of them were either drunk or just trying to get in her pants didn't help her in the least.
 
 
 
 
»º•º•º•º• º•º•º•º•º«
 
 
 
Yuna moved from the Isle of Besaid to Zanarkand in her freshman year of high school. All through middle school she'd been wearing contacts periodically to cover up her defect, but when she moved, she took them out. There were stranger people in a city that big, and she figured she should be able to start anew anyway. No one thought it was weird to have two different eye colors, in fact, people thought it was cool and always asked how she did it.
 
Yuna huffed and combed out her hair. I just know it. It's gonna be a blah day, even if Rikku is coming to visit.
 
 
It was true. Her Al Bhed cousin Rikku Dixon always brightened a dark room, but Yuna was too deep in a funk for her younger cousin's shenanigans — yesterday morning left her in a deep depression. Not to mention, her cousin turned a little too sappy for her tastes ever since she and Gippal finally admitted their lust for each other. It was a long time coming, but neither Yuna nor Paine would have thought they would ever walk in on Rikku and Gippal “exploring” their love for each other on more than one occasion.
 
 
 
After Yuna lived through exams and a grueling competition that got her in to the college's prestigious nursing program, she thought she would have the summer all to herself.
 
That is, until the summons came.
 
 
Apparently, some rich kid killed his father and they were looking for jurors. What Yuna could not understand was why had they chosen her? She was still in school, not even done with all her exams. Shouldn't they look for people with more “life experiences”?
 
I am so not looking forward to the final jury selection. It was way too cold, and I'm not entirely sure it was just the room either. That guy was a wee bit subzero. He was screaming Permafrost!
 
 
 
 
»º•º•º•º• º•º•º•º•º«
 
 
Yuna couldn't figure out why he'd done it, or why there was even a trial in the first place.
 
 
Everybody knew who the world famous Jecht Corelli was. It seemed as if he had played blitzball since forever. He played professionally and was also the star player for the Zanarkand Abes from A-East. With his help, A-East Zanarkand finally broke Bevelle's winning streak against them. It had been over forty years at the time since any Zanarkand team bested Bevelle. After his son, Tidus, was born he started to drink. Eventually the drinking became cumbersome. Rumor had it that Jecht had become quite the curmudgeon and that he was abusive towards his only child. Eventually, the celebrity had to enroll in a rehab center.
So imagine everyone's shock when the beloved athlete was found dead in his Bevelle mansion. A memorial service was held for the victim's family, friends, and fans. Almost all of Spira came.
No one really had Tidus pinned as a suspect. He was hardly thought of because he wasn't involved in things typical rich kids would do. He actually worked as a makeup artist for famous photographers and volunteered at some obscure understaffed clinic in his free time. The parents did not make a big deal about their baby boy when he was born like most celebrities did. His pictures weren't sold for millions of dollars. In fact, the public didn't see any sign of the boy until he was declared borderline genius when he was about fourteen years old. When it became obvious that Tidus was not going to follow in his father's footsteps, public interest in the young man's life dwindled. The attention he got from the media was still enough to be annoying, though.
So, to the media's and their viewers' surprise a few days after the memorial service Tidus disappeared into one of the many mysterious uncharted territories in Macalania and issued from any confining enclosure. Basically, he dodged the police. He even went so far as to ask his mother to prepare a large sum of money for bail, “just in case.”
His mother, Johanna Corelli, was well known as well. She was the first Al Bhed-anything to make it big, let alone be a supermodel. Even though she was hardly one-eighth Al Bhed, her renown was still unsuccessfully blocked from the Bevelle populous. She was immediately eliminated as a suspect. At the time of the murder, she was traveling back to the family's mansion in Zanarkand after being a voluntary patient in a psychiatric home for two years.
Tidus could have lived out his life there with the mythical creatures of Macalania had he not turned himself in.
I just hope they don't use that whole “battered child syndrome” excuse again.
Despite her young age Yuna couldn't count on her toes and fingers how many murder cases and the like where the defendant begged for mercy because of mental, emotion, and/or physical abuse. It was enough to make her gag.
While her childhood hadn't been as savory as other's were, she didn't go around chopping people up because she didn't get a hug from mommy or daddy. Her father, Braska Bustamante, was always working, and her mother Rachel died from complications due to lung cancer when Yuna was just three years old. An old friend of her father's, Kimahri Ronso, stayed by her side when he wasn't trying to create peace between Bevellans and Ronso in Gagazet. It was a lonely childhood, but she made up for it in high school and was enjoying it immensely in college.
Yuna examined her face again and decided not to put on any makeup or braid her rattail. She pulled on a white cotton t-shirt that said “Rassav College” and matching striped boxers. Her belly was in the mood for some Glenn & Berry's “Choco Egg” ice cream, but her mind was not. If she wasn't careful, she would turn into a cow herself.
Yuna looked around the apartment-styled dorm room. It was clean, so really the only thing she could do was either watch TV, sleep, study, or read a book. She couldn't call her long time guardian Kimahri. After all, he is a Ronso leader and was sure he was negotiating peace treaties somewhere in his broken Common.
Besides, he probably didn't have a phone anymore. Ever since the CommSpheres were invented by an Al Bhed boy-genius, one Yuna was proud to know before became famous, telephones had become obsolete. The only reason why this college still had phones was because the telephone lines hadn't been taken down yet, and officials weren't so comfortable about putting the expensive devices in the rooms. The things were so compact and convenient that even the most trustworthy people weren't trusted to not steal them.
She wasn't in the mood for hearing her other cousin, Brother, fawn over her or his father's lectures on how proper ladies go to college to find a husband. She did not want to think about the upcoming trial or the fact that she might be signing a person's death certificate, either.
Basically, there was nothing for her to do but sleep and wait for Rikku to show up. And that's what she did until Rikku and Paine came along.
»º•º•º•º• º•º•º•º•º«
“Yunie?”
“Yuna”
The large lump on the couch grumbled something inaudibly.
“Yuna, the house is on fire.”
Still, nothing.
“Hey look! You've been bleeding all over your sheets!”
Paine looked at the blonde critically. “Donnie's been scrounging through your underwear drawer again.”
The lump on the couch bolted up with its fists up. “I'm gonna get that little bastard if it's the last thing I do!”
 
 
“Yunie, Paine was just kidding. We've been trying to wake you up for five hours now,” Rikku whined. “Get up already!”
 
 
Donnie was the RA on the fourteenth floor at Yuna's first dormitory when she was a freshman. Apparently he was fascinated with women's underwear. She requested a move and ended up in one of the upperclassmen's dorm with Brittany Martin. The two girls did not go well together, but it was much better than finding some graduate student clawing through and sniffing her drawers. And the rooms there were decidedly better than freshman quarters.
 
 
“For Pete's sake, Yunie, it's almost next week and you still haven't told us how the selection went.” Rikku's blonde hair bounced up and down and she became more and more excited. Paine started to wince when her pitch reached an all-time high. “So, what happened, huh?” Rikku practically screamed. “Was he as hot in person as he is on TV? Did he say anything to you, anything at all?”
 
All Yuna did was fall back down to her bed. She was beginning to think that taking a nap wasn't such a good idea after all. She didn't want to get up. Her problem was remedied, however, when she felt a cold hand on her stomach.
 
 
“Say, you don't have any nuns cooking in the oven, do you? You've been sleeping a lot. I heard from somebody that pregnant ladies sleep all the time.”
 
Paine almost choked on her tongue and looked to Yuna for a witty remark.
 
 
“No, there aren't any buns cooking in this oven. Now will you let up?”
 
Because of Rikku's Al Bhed descent, she wasn't well acquainted with idioms originating in Bevelle. It was three years ago that the Al Bhed and Bevellans reached a peace agreement, thanks mostly to her father, Cid and his brother-in-law, Braska. Because her father was a head figure in Al Bhed society and her mother was not alive, Rikku and Brother were one of the first full-blooded Al Bheds allowed to step foot in Bevelle.
 
 
For the sake of her and Paine's ears Yuna decided to answer her hyperactive cousin.
 
 
“I have to go to a second session on Thursday, guys.” Yuna looked a Rikku.
 
 
“Wow, you sound so enthused about it.” Rikku stated. She'd never seen her cousin this bummed out about anything.
 
 
“Yeah, I just don't like the death penalty. I mean, everybody has to die no matter how good or bad they were. So how is death a just punishment? But I have to be there anyway.” Yuna said, “They said something about how almost all the people they looked at when I was there were biased against the defendant, and that they only chose three others. I can't say I really blame them.” Yuna added as an afterthought. “And yes, he was hot. Shamefully so.”
 
 
 
Rikku was highly disappointed with her cousin's explanation. Something else must have happened. “That's it? No riveting testimonies or anything? No outbursts and objections from the defense? The judge didn't hit his whatchamacallit?”
 
 
“Firstly, it was just jury selection, so there haven't been any witnesses. Secondly, the guy was a total ice bucket; he wasn't even paying attention to his lawyer. He didn't seem the least bit interested in saving his life so all he did was look around the room the whole time. And it's called a gavel, sweetie.” All through her tirade Yuna's voice was rising ever so slightly.
 
 
Paine and Rikku looked at their friend with worried expressions on their faces. Rikku was the first to pipe up.
 
 
“I'm telling you Yuna, you need to get laid. All that pent up frustration has to go somewhere.”
 
 
“I thought I'd never see the day Rikku,” Yuna started, with an exasperated tone, “but Gippal has turned you into a sex fiend.”
 
 
“How do you know if it was Gippal, Yunie? Hey,” the girl added, “was that an insult?”
 
“Is a bullfrog waterproof?”
 
 
“Well, sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me!”
 
 
“Oh yeah? Well Paine, go get me some sticks and stones.”
 
 
Rikku stared at her cousin as if she didn't know her. She was spending way too much time with Paine. She could see the sarcasm rolling off every word that left her mouth. It was becoming too much for her. Her pride could only take so much. Any day now she would have to commit herself to a nunnery. While resting and studying the doctrines of Yevon, she could study rebuffs and build her vocabulary. Yeah, in a few years of praying she would blow Yunie away with her awesome comebacks!
 
 
Rikku's smile was starting to split her face when she realized she couldn't hear any breathing. Vivid green eyes opened to an empty room. Apparently, while she was planning the next years of her life, Paine and Yuna had left her in the bedroom.
 
 
 
»º•º•º•º• º•º•º•º•º«
 
 
 
 
Yuna and Paine were munching down on Froero cereal by the time Rikku recovered from her wounded pride and joined them in the kitchen. She tried to start a conversation but was met by Paine's loud slopping. Really, someone should teach her some valuable table manners. One could not help but be embarrassed whenever they took her out to eat. She stored that thought away for the time being.
 
 
“Sorry about yelling at you cuz,” Yuna began. “I'm just stressing out over how this is going to work. I'm finally starting my nursing curriculum and they want to lay this on me.” The girl sighed with worldly suffering. “This could last for months for all I know. I wonder if I could remove myself and claim temporary insanity.”
 
 
Yuna balked at the idea.
 
 
Just then, Rikku heard the familiar “ding-buzz” from her CommSphere. She pulled it out of her green handbag and turned it on, only to regret her action seconds afterward. It was Brother.
 
 
 
Contrary to popular belief amongst her friends, her brother's real name was, in fact, Brother. Their father did not want to admit it, but both parents were under the influence of epidural and their father had an extra shot of novocaine; he was a textbook case of sympathetic pregnancy.
 
 
Their mother had fallen asleep after the delivery and it was up to Cid to name their first child. He was explaining to a male nurse that the Al Bhed should form an organization called “The Brotherhood: A Peace Group for the Liberation of the Al Bhed Peoples Who Are Not Afraid to Use Weapons or Sneaky Tactics Like the So Called Yevonites of Bevelle Who Would Stoop So Low As to Steal Money from Orphans”.
 
 
 
The group was supposed to stop Bevelle's embargo of Zanarkand goods and possibly forge better ties between the races/species. They also wanted to be the voice of the backward and misunderstood people of Kilika. Earlier that year Bevelle broke contact with Zanarkand because of their “open door” policies and association with the Ronso and Al Bhed. In order to prove his loyalty to the group that wasn't even formed yet Cid named his son Brother. The nurse tried to get him to change his mind, but he would not be deterred. He declared that his son would be the epitome of the group.
 
 
Bevelle dropped the embargo on their own when the women of Bevelle went on strike because their foreign sweets and fashions were gone, and the group was never formed.
 
 
 
Brother did not turn out to be the brotherly type at all. He was rather obnoxious and all out weird, therefore he was antisocial mainly because other people did not want to be social with him. But Cid still became more or less the leader of his people, especially after the massacre at Home, which in turn was the death of his wife.
 
 
“Rikku!” Brother yelled into his CommSphere. He still wasn't used to the things. “I am in place near the shop.”
 
 
Rikku rolled her eyes at his broken Common. They both learned the language when they were young and he still didn't have the hang of it. She was also starting to get annoyed at his vagueness.
 
 
 
“Cbayg eh Al Bhed ev ed'c cu rynf, cdibef!” Rikku yelled back into the CommSphere. That was the only downfall to the handy devices. People still yelled into them as if they were phones. “Speak in Al Bhed if it's so hard, stupid!”
 
“Okay,” her brother replied. “E pnuga so mak trema mevdehk yh ahkeha ib yd tra cnub. E's ymsucd fuha yd dra lmehel cu E haaf ramb tedr keddehk so bnacnebdeur.” “I broke my leg while lifting an engine up at the shop. I'm almost done at the clinic so I need help with getting my prescription.”
 
 
The look of pain could clearly be seen through the fuzzy view from the CommSphere. The clinic he was in was slightly overcrowded, but the people in the background did not seem to mind. In fact, it looked as if they were being entertained by something.
 
 
Rikku, speaking for all of them (or so Yuna assumed) said, “Tamm, trelr uha? Drana yna y pidd-muyf uv lmehelc futhduth. Yhf trad ec cu vihho?” “Well, which one? There are a butt-load of clinics downtown. And what is so funny?”
Even though Yuna was half Al Bhed herself, she had never had time to actually learn the language. It was more than convenient that she had two friends who could speak it so fluently.
 
 
“Doctor speaks of man who love chocobo too much.”
 
 
Rikku decided to leave that tidbit alone and turned the CommSphere off. She looked to Paine with stars in her eyes.
Paine, already knowing what Rikku had in mind, answered before the question was asked.
 
 
“Only if Yuna comes too.”
 
 
 
 
 
 
»º•º•º•º• º•º•º•º•º«
 
 
 
 
So, Rikku got her way and arrived at the first Al Bhed clinic established in Bevelle since the treaty. She would rather endure Paine's crazy driving instead of the overheated public bus and all the stops it had to make.
Yuna examined the small building as she got out of the car and was happy to know that not all people in Spira were bad. Although it was officially an Al Bhed haven, people of other races/species were not excluded either. The staff, however small, was mostly Al Bhed with the exception of some students in med school and other young doctors trying to start their personal practices.
 
 
The three girls walked into the cramped building and almost gasped at the tidiness of the place, and the contentment on the waiting area's occupant's faces. Normally, free clinics like these were always hot and overstuffed with doctors running around frantically while their patients chastised them for not being efficient enough. Yuna, Rikku and Paine sat down in one of the comfortable couches next to a giant array of ferns.
Paine was just about to remark when she heard an old lady say, “Here he comes, Betty.”
Yuna turned when she heard the clinic door open. In walked a young man, probably in his twenties. He wore a wool sweater with a cute chocobo pattern and khaki slacks. He wore big sunglasses, which did not hide his features from the occupants of the waiting room; His dark brown hair was mussed up and he had a slight odor to him. None of the girls could place the scent, but the people in the waiting area knew.
The young man sat right next to the three girls, much to their dismay, and paid no attention to the stares he was getting.
 
After about thirteen more minutes of waiting for Brother, Paine put down her magazine. She nudged Rikku. “Look at how fast his legs are shaking.”
 
 
 
Yuna, who noticed the nervous appendages, was trying to inconspicuously inch away from the man for the past ten minutes. She was starting to recognize that smell as chocobo dung. Maybe this was the chocobo lover Brother was talking about.
Rikku and Yuna as they were trying to escape with their sense of smell, failed to notice the young doctor on the other side of the room staring in their direction, but Paine did not.
 
 
 
The doctor was looking at the chocobo lover with an apprehensive expression on his face as a few nurses showed their pity by patting him on the back and making cooing noises. He didn't stop his scrutiny when he felt a certain female receptionist pat his rear end “accidentally”.
 
Paine could have sworn she saw that guy before. Maybe he went to Rassav or spoke at a convention or something. He didn't look that old, so maybe he was attending the university's med school. She could have seen him on campus, but something was telling her that that was not how she recognized him.
 
 
Paine almost dismissed the idea when she heard a weird choking noise come from Yuna. Both she and Rikku turned toward their friend and found her chalk white and doing an impressive imitation of a fish.
 
 
 
 
 
 
»º•º•º•º• º•º•º•º•º«
 
 
 
He was sporting stylish glasses that only the rich or the presumptuous would wear. Usually the two went hand in hand. Yuna's body tensed at the way he seemed to saunter toward her with a barely discernable smirk on his handsome features. But to her surprise, instead of towering over her, he squatted down in front of the man that was sitting next to them.
It was then that Yuna wondered since when had she become so paranoid. He didn't even notice her presence. She heaved a sigh of relief. He probably wasn't even “sauntering” towards her.
Tidus was about to tell the man to follow him into a room when he decided to speak up.
 
 
“Oh boy, Dr. Corelli, am I glad you're here.” The young man started. His leg was fidgeting less now. “I. . . er—umm sort of did it again.”
 
It seemed as if the whole clinic was quiet and waiting for the drama to unfold.
 
 
 
“You see, last night I went to the Mi'ihen Highroad and was engaged in (cough) uh, some st—strenuous activities with. . .”
 
Tidus didn't want to let the man finish. He could already smell the “strenuous activities” the male was involved in. “Just, tell me what happened,” he saw the man begin to speak and interrupted him. “AFTERWARDS!”
 
 
The clinic busted out in laughter at the patient's embarrassment.
 
 
“Well, it bit my ton—”
 
“I said afterwards.”
 
 
“I sort of think I fell apart, you know, afterwards. And this burning is unbearable.” Suddenly, the young man felt the urge to elaborate.
 
 
“Can't you see I love 'em, man? How can you not?” He began at a moderately low volume. “I mean, the way they say “kweh” gets me hot. And you know what else, I ain't ashamed—”
 
“You should be,” Some smartass interjected.
 
 
The man got up and pointed to a not-so-hot looking guy. “You shut your filthy mouth, you dirty, rotten scoundrel, or I'll bust you up!”
 
Tidus tried to calm the man down by patting his ridiculous sweater and get him to follow him toward a back room. He was pretty sure that his face was a nice beet color.
 
 
Just then the man stood up in the chair and spread his arms wide. “They're beautiful, man. The way their wings spread out just when they're about to cu—”
 
 
 
Yuna knew for a fact that she didn't want to hear about this man's burning genitals or how hot he got when an animal made a noise or why their wings were spreading out. She also wanted to stop noticing how cute the killer looked when he blushed, so she snuffed up the courage to speak to him. “Could you please have this conversation elsewhere?”
Tidus didn't miss a beat. He already knew who the female was. The animal lover wasn't the only thing he was surveying. “Yes, I think we should. Come on, Donnie.”
 
Sure enough, when the young man got up and took his glasses off, it was the panty-creep, Donnie. Yuna had enough and walked out of the clinic, only to walk back in after some old guy asked for her phone number.
 
 
By the time she got back to her seat, Donnie and the killer were gone.
 
 
“Wow, Yunie. I didn't know you had that much spirit in you.” Rikku could not believe the events that took place just now. She finally got to see what Donnie looked like, and he wasn't that bad looking.
 
Just then, Brother came limping out of a back door while cuddling with a cute nurse.
 
 
Finally, Yuna thought.
 
 
 
 
»º•º•º•º• º•º•º•º•º«
 
 
 
 
 
After going to the pharmacy and dropping Brother off, the girls decided to go to a Glenn & Berry's ice cream shop. They'd never been to this one before. It was in the heart of the downtown area and seemed to be the hangout place for the area's “alternative” kids.
“So,” Rikku began with a roll of her eyes, “That was the guy you're gonna convict?”
 
Yuna nodded an affirmative as she ate her BLT sandwich.
 
 
“He was, um,” Rikku struggled to find the right word. Trying to translate things from Al Bhed quickly was still a little bit difficult. “kind of pretty, for a guy.”
 
Paine nodded her head as well.
 
 
Rikku snorted into her milkshake, spilling some of its contents on the table. Between the two of them, they looked like old mother hens doting over a baby chick.
 
 
“I knew I recognized him from somewhere. But I'd never think he was a murderer if I saw him on the street.” Paine lowered her voice on the last part of her input. She didn't want the people around her thinking that Yuna and Rikku were lunatics.
 
 
“Hey, aren't you two being a little bit unfair?” Rikku whined peevishly. “What if he didn't do it?”
 
 
The other two girls looked at their companion critically. Yuna felt Rikku's forehead and Paine examined her pulse.
 
 
“She doesn't have a fever.”
 
“And she's definitely not dead.”
 
 
Rikku just rolled her eyes and called the waiter back to their table.
 
 
A/N:
Oh yeah, this story was also influenced by the scene in Constantine when Gabriel fell down from the sky/ceiling with that awesome outfit on (whoever thought chaps could look so good). I only watch that movie for that scene, and Lucifer. I found it funny how he looked like a snake and how the white tuxedo looked dirty on him.
And yes, I did look up “curmudgeon” after hearing it on VH1's World Series of Pop Culture.
And oh, am I getting a taste of my own medicine! People have been hitting this story, but I've only received one review (thank you so much).
Gone are the days when I read a story and not add my two-cents! I guess it is to be expected, though.
This isn't nearly as good as the ones I'm reading now.
I will delete that whole Germany thing too. Maybe that's what weirded people out? I didn't think about the map of Spira (it looks like a whole world) or how I was going to correlate Zanarkand and Gagazet with North/South America.
I don't know when I'll post another chapter. I'm supposed to be reading a book (151 of 301) but I refuse. Why would these people give us a non-fiction book? And one that isn't good either. Oh well. I am done with work but I leave for college in 13 more days!
That Al Bhed nonsense is a pain.
Do you notice that in every Orbit gum commercial that lady says "for that nice clean feeling" they always show the people with white teeth? I tried doing that.
Oh, and if you want to reach me, just ask to be my friend on myspace (yes I've had one before it got out of control). IM me: lavinder11
Or better yet, leave a review!
Criticism is appreciated. Random comments that have nothing to do with this story whatsoever, like did I brush my teeth this morning, are welcome as well.