Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Only When It Rains ❯ Chapter Five ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 5

The next time he awoke it was to the sounds and smells of breakfast. He slowly cracked his eyes open and stood up, yawning. He looked down at the baby who had woken up before him and had a lock of black hair in her tiny grasp. She gave it a soft, yet surprisingly strong, tug which made Vincent almost smile. He walked over to the bed and gently set her down, being careful to extract his hair before leaving.

He walked over to his bag and quickly peeled off his clothes. His body was pale, much like his face, but it was lined with very toned muscle, which was evident on the outside. Always the modest one Vincent quickly changed into a long button up black shirt which he rolled the sleeves up on. He also wore loose black pants which he tucked into his sturdy boots.

He slowly went back over and picked up Lucretia, He could definitely detect dampness in the makeshift diaper. Though keeping a calm and stoic face Vincent always found it rather disgusting. He was used to being neat and orderly about things. Especially personal hygiene, which the baby seemed to sorely lack.

With a sigh he turned and walked down the hall, his noiseless footsteps leading him to the kitchen where he paused. Shera was cooking busily and his nose twitched at the layered smells of bacon, eggs, gravy and toast. All Cid's favorites of course. Cid himself was sitting in a chair, looking over a design blueprint. Since the Sephiroth-Meteor incident Cid had gained much fame as a designer and technician.

After a moment of further contemplation he stepped into the kitchen. He sniffed and paused for a moment before sniffing again. He mentally went through all the layers of scents cataloging them has he went. Eventually he came to one scent that didn't belong. Incense. In fact the same type he had smelled in his room last night. So was the scent real then?

He didn't have long to ponder on it before Shera saw him standing there. She smiled and walked over, cooing and talking in that funny voice she used around baby Lucretia. She tickled her lightly, scrunching her petite face. Vincent coughed slightly to get her attention. "I believe she has soiled herself again."

Shera blinked and looked up at him, straightening. It took her a moment to realize exactly what he meant. "Oh yeah! I picked up some diapers this morning. There in the bathroom." She went back over to the stove and resumed her cooking.

With a sigh, Vincent turned and strode silently to the bathroom. He found a stack of clothe diapers laying on the counter of the sink along with a bottle of powder. He set little Lucretia down on a table and picked up one of the diapers, holding it between to clawed fingers. He set it down, and after fumbling for a moment with his flesh hand, removed the soiled diaper. His face remained stoic, but he covered his face with his flesh hand while he grasped the dirty diaper in his claw. He quickly tossed it into the trash can, removing his hand once he had.

He picked up a clean diaper, looking at it for a moment. He was trying to figure out how to do this properly. He laid it out flat and gently picked her up, setting her on it. He pulled the edges up and tried to get it to stay. He found the pins far too clumsy for him to use with his claws. Finally, he settled on a knot and tuck method. With a nod Vincent picked her up and walked back into the kitchen.

Cid and Shera both looked up from the table had he walked in. Cid made a valiant effort on his part to hide the smirk at what he saw, while Shera just giggled. Though outwardly his mask showed no cracks, inside he wondered just what was so amusing. Finally, though she almost she choked on the giggle, Shera said, "Vincent you put the diaper on wrong." That was what had been so funny. Vincent felt a slight flush rise on his cheeks.

Shera took the baby and headed back to the bathroom, followed (rather demurely) by Vincent. Laying the baby down and giving her an occasional tickle, she demonstrated how to properly fold and put on the diaper. Vincent watched in brooding silence, his quick red eyes watching every movement. When Shera finished she turned to him, a bright smile on her face. The only reaction he could bring himself to show was a quiet, unemotional "oh."

Breakfast was better than the diaper incident. Vincent managed to put much of his embarrassment behind him as he ate. It was nice (though he'd never admit it) to see Cid eating as noisily as ever. Vincent, ever the gentlemen, ate silently and neatly thanked Shera for her work. She was an excellent cook in reality, and it was only one of many secret talents.

Lucretia started crying right as Vincent was finishing his meal. He looked down, wondering why she was crying this time. But Shera, with all the instincts of a mother, knew why. "Looks like she's hungry. I got some formula and bottles this morning too." She stood up and went over to the counter, retrieving a small bottle filled with formula. In the time honored tradition she tested it on her wrist before handing it to Vincent.

He took it silently in his claw, tilting it towards Lucretia's tiny mouth. She latched onto it immediately, suckling ravenously. Her bright green eyes looked up at him has she drank without seeming to pause at all. Vincent's red eyes watched has he slowly became absorbed in watching her has she fed. It was amazing that such a simple act could be so captivating. Cid smiled has he finished his coffee, watching his generally dour friend so enthralled in feeding that little girl. Subtly, barely perceptibly, a look of wonder stole across his face.

She slurped down the bottle until it was entirely gone. He felt someone drop a rag on his shoulder. Hesitantly, he lifted the baby up, placing her head on the it (he'd been able to figure out the use for the rag). He rubbed her back gently with his flesh hand, feeling the warmth of her body and the tiny thumping of her heart. The feeling of total wonderment he'd had last night of just what this young life expected of him managed to plow all his thoughts away. It was dependent on him and him alone. It was almost scary ... but he silently swore to himself, come heaven or hell, that he was never going to let her down. Soon she fell asleep on his shoulder but it took him a full five minutes to notice, he'd been so wrapped up in his thoughts.