Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Price for a Memory ❯ Shera....Crescent? ( Chapter 21 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
21.

Sephiroth waited about bored stiff for three days.

Not much was going on. No weird rumours had begun to circulate bar one.

‘Supposedly’, a mysterious being broke into the Laboratories and had tried to make away with precious equipment. Totally destroying the place in the process.

Sephiroth sniggered slightly to himself as this news was slowly broken throughout the ShinRa building and the adjoining barracks.

Cloud had went deathly white and palpably silent when he heard this gossip from Reno and a couple of the other Cadet’s. This raised in itself raised a couple of eyebrows, however, the blond male came up with a pretty good reason as to why he literally shat himself.

“What if it’s a killer hiding somewhere in the building. What if it’s one of us? Just waiting until the time is right?”

The few males with him silenced themselves and looked nervously around the rest of the Cadet’s in the room.

Cloud smirked just a tiny bit at that point.

Sephiroth of course, had been watching the blond youth at that point. He admired him from the other end of the room.

Sure, him and Cloud had grown that tiny bit closer given their three days training together. However, they had not yet had a chance to really talk due to the untimely timing of Sephiroth’s second in command, Zack always bursting into the room.

Even though Zack was Sephiroth’s second in command and also a very close friend….the raven haired male did piss him off slightly.

To say Sephiroth was frustrated was a huge understatement.

He thought back to the previous morning.

------

“So Cloud. Why did you trust Zack with a pair of scissors to cut your hair? I think I preferred it longer.”

“I dunno. He just asked if I trusted him. I said yes and the rest is history. I couldn’t stop him after he had cut the first chunk off could I? That would have looked idiotic!”

Sephiroth raised his hand and ran his fingers through the back then the front of Cloud’s soft, silky smooth hair. Cloud smiled into the touch.

“Yes Cloud. I much preferred it longer. Although, short has it’s charms. I prefer longer hair….look at mine for example.”

Cloud took a look at Sephiroth’s hair tied in a loose pony tail. His eyes followed the length of the gleaming silver hair. Stopping just below the knees. Trailing his cerulean gaze back up, Cloud accidentally stared at Sephiroth’s crotch. Those black leather trousers hiding what he wanted to see. Blushing, eyes zipped up to Sephiroth’s face.

A silver eyebrow raised in confusion and humour greeted the blushing blond.

“Which way do you prefer?”

Cloud choked slightly.

“W-which way what?”

“You hair idiot. Long or short?”

“Ummmm, I like it best lo…”

“HEY CLOUD!”

Zack darted over to Cloud and Sephiroth.

“I like it best shorter of course!”

“I knew you would Spiky!”

------

Sephiroth grimaced at remembering the previous day. Why had Cloud changed his mind as soon as the raven haired Zack ran into the room?

By now, it was painfully clear just who Cloud was drawn to the most.

Zack.

A swift knock at the door shook Sephiroth from his almost depressing thoughts.

“Enter.”

He half expected to see either Cloud or Zack poking their heads in.

No. This person was different. A small woman, who he recognised as a secretary at the entrance hall of the ShinRa building had her head bowed down to him.

“Um, S-Sir? T-there’s a scientist here to have a word with you. Something about joining ShinRa?”

Why would a new recruit come here? Sephiroth thought to himself. Then it struck him.

Cid.

“Show the person in.”

The tiny female bowed deeply before backing out of the room, never meeting the General’s bored but icy gaze.

A woman, probably in her late thirties, early forties slowly entered the room and stood expectantly at the door. Once again, another head was bowed to him.

“Come sit….your name?”

“Shera Sir.”

The woman named Shera slowly made her way over to a chair in front of Sephiroth’s desk.

“Well? How can I help you?”

“I think you will find, it’s how I can help you.”

Sephiroth nodded.

“Cid told me he couldn’t come here personally, so, I decided to take the risk….after all, it was mainly myself that analysed the sample.”

“What did you find?”

Shera shifted uncomfortably in her seat.

“Well, I primarily found your DNA.”

Sephiroth growled at the female slightly.

“But, I found another substance, in miniscule proportions however, but there none the less. The problem is, neither Cid or myself was able to determine just what the substance is. It is some form of DNA but….it’s like nothing I have ever seen before. It’s gene’s are just, bizarre. So bizarre that, even though the substance appeared ‘dead’, it pulsed slightly. Almost like a shallow beating heart.”

Sephiroth’s eyes widened significantly.

“So, whatever this is….only Hojo can tell us what it is?”

“I’m afraid so. It would seem to me that he may be trying to create more SOLDIER’s….just like you. However, not using a….pregnant woman….” Shera seemed to spit that last part out.

“He is trying to artificially create another SOLDIER just like you, using your DNA pattern and that of something else. Something unknown.”

Sephiroth sat in utter silence. Just how did this tie in with Cloud? Did Hojo want Cloud instead? Was his blood test just a pilot test? Just something to see if it would work? And, why Cloud? Why not Zack, Reno, Rufus, that chair over there….anyone or anything else?

Sephiroth sighed in sheer frustration. He was sick if all these questions. Questions he was still no nearer to finding the answers to.

“General Sir?”

“Yes?”

“If I may? I would like to try and run more extensive tests. However, I will have to travel to the lab in Nibelheim. It’s much more technically advanced than the one I have near home. The results may be the same, however, I have a hunch that I can uncover what is really going on with the sample. Do you mind? It may take a few weeks though.”

“Do what you wish. Once again, I am no closer to finding out the answers I seek.”

“She said the same.”

Sephiroth raised a slim silver eyebrow.

“Who said the same.”

“Doctor Lucrecia Crescent.”

Jade green eyes widened at the sound of that familiar name.

“She said that many times during her time with Vincent Valentine. She tried so hard to find the answers, she made herself and her unborn baby ill trying to….save him.”

Sephiroth stared at the floor.

“Y-you may go now. And, thank you.”

Shera stood to leave, bowed at Sephiroth then turned to head to the door.

Pausing at the door, she turned to glance at Sephiroth. He met her gaze.

“What did you say your name was?”

“Shera….Shera Crescent. You look very much like your mother.”

Sephiroth opened his mouth to speak.

“Your fathers face and build though. Till next time….Sephiroth….”

Before he could reprimand her in any way, be it for using his name without permission or not bowing again, the scientist who called herself Shera Crescent was gone.

Sephiroth stood and walked the short distance to his window. He glanced down at the training Cadet’s. How he wished Cloud was still among them training. That way he could find peace while watching him.

Sephiroth’s mind wandered.

“Lucrecia Crescent….Vincent Valentine….who am I?”

Another fucking question!