Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ The Celestial Rise ❯ The Hard Ground ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Hard Ground

"Bravo! Bravo!" said a loud, booming voice. Everybody turned towards the voice, including Celes. The voice sounded awfully familiar to all of them. After a quick moment of surprise, all those who recognized the man saluted and remained frozen on the spot. It was General Cristophe. He was wearing a less formal uniform, but there was no mistaking his identity and rank as a general. His eyes scanned the disarrayed group of men and women, though he did not show disapproval. When he saw Beigeletter saluting him with his nose still bleeding he spoke. "At ease, Lieutenant. Have that looked at in the infirmary."

Beigeletter saluted and vaguely said a word of thanks. He turned around and got away from that place as fast as he could.

"Two formations!" the general hollered. "The new recruits to my left. The rest of you, to my right!"

Everybody scrambled to obey. Those who held ranks, including Celes, formed a single line comprised of three captains and several lieutenants. They were the ones who were mainly in charge of the day's new recruits. The aspirants' took longer to form their lines. In the end there were five lines in their formation. They stood still, facing the ones with the ranks. General Cristophe walked between the two formations with his hands behind his back. He kept on pacing back and forth between them for long moments that seemed to last several minutes.

The captains and lieutenants were nervous. Celes was frightened. General Cristophe! Here! What is he doing here? Did he see the whole thing? Is he angry? Are we in trouble? Am I in trouble? The one time I break the rules and he has to be here! Him… of all people! Why him?!

Celes, you idiot! You just had to pick the worst possible time to let your anger take over! This is it! My military career is over. All my hard work and perseverance will be gone any minute now. I hope I didn't compromise the team with my thoughtlessness.

"Devenias Gastra!" General Cristophe shouted as a call for salute.

"For the Empire!" Celes's company returned. General Cristophe then faced the new recruits and smiled. "They get younger each time," Leo remarked. "To what, I wonder, do we owe today's yield of new recruits? Glory? Power? Vengeance, perhaps? Maybe you lost a relative or a close friend during the Terra Episode, and a part of you is hungry for revenge.

"Yes…! Hatred! Anger!" Leo exclaimed loudly as he dramatically clutched the empty air with his gloved hand, forming a trembling fist. "Overwhelming emotions yearning for maximum restitution. Vector was hurt… and you want to hurt the enemies back. An eye for an eye! This is what Vector is all about! Vengeance! Am I right, recruits?!"

"Sir! Yes, sir!" the aspirants shouted in unison.

"Vector is all about getting even! Am I right?!"

"Sir! Yes, sir!"

"Vector is about the elimination of the opposition! Am I right?!"

"Sir! Yes, sir!"

"Vector is all about global conquest! Am I right?!"

"Sir! Yes, sir!"

The aspirants' spirits were up. Their morale had been boosted up just by the mere presence of Vector's most respected military figure and his commanding voice. Just as when they thought that their mere enthusiastic shouts of answers were sure to get them into the army, the lot of them were taken aback by the general's reaction. "Wrong!" General Cristophe growled.

Silence reigned as the general resumed his pacing between the two formations. He stopped in front of Celes, and he looked into her blue eyes for a long, noticeable moment. Then he looked away and resumed his walk, away from Celes.

"First Lieutenant Celes Chere, fall out!" he commanded while his back was turned towards her.

This is it! He's not going to make this pleasant for me either! He's going to make an example of me in front of the new recruits! Dishonorable discharge! she thought with increasing dread as she took a step forward.

"Lieutenant, would you please be so kind as to explain to the newcomers why I am wrong?" the general said as he turned to face her slowly.

Celes was quick to answer. "Yes, sir! Vector is not about vengeance. It's about Justice, sir! Vector is not about elimination of the opposition. It's about neutralization of the threat, sir! Vector's campaign is not global conquest. It's about global accord, sir!"

"Semantics, Lieutenant Chere!"

"No, sir, it's not!" she shouted in response, confident of her answer.

"It's only a play of words, Lieutenant Chere!"

"No, sir, it's not!"

"It's utter nonsense, Lieutenant Chere!"

"No, sir, it's not!"

General Cristophe smiled slightly and then he turned back towards the aspirants. "Lieutenant Chere is correct. Vector's campaign is all that and more. You will learn all these if you stay long enough. But first, to defend Vector you have to know what Vector is all about. Before you can take up arms you have to know what the Imperial military is all about. Above all, it is about honor! Without it, the ranks of the military that make up the mountain will cave in and crumble. It's about discipline and loyalty. It is about knowing where you stand. It's about knowing when you let others think for you, when you think for yourself, and when you think for others.

"Lieutenant Chere, please tell them what I'm talking about."

"It's the chain of command, sir!" Celes promptly answered.

"Very good!" Leo started to pace again. He walked past Celes and then continued, "Lieutenant Chere commands you. Her captain commands her and you. I command everybody present here today. It is very simple. The higher you are in the hierarchy, the more powerful you are in terms of authority. But the higher you are in the hierarchy, the greater the responsibilities that you have to carry. When a person somewhere in the hierarchy fails to do his or her job well, the result is the inevitable collapse of the levels directly below that person.

"An incompetent commander will only lead his soldiers to defeat while a strong one will lead them to victory. Vector cannot tolerate weakness in the ranks be it permanent or temporary. When such a person is found he or she is replaced by a stronger one--"

Celes closed her eyes and sighed secretly. This is it! He's going to say it! I am finished!"

"Strength and weakness come in many forms. General Fencross was a great soldier before the attack. He was no weakling. His selfless sacrifice has saved the lives of his men. But at this very moment, he cannot serve Vector. Therefore, a replacement is in order if only temporary to prevent the weakening of the links in the chain. We await his imminent recovery. But until then, his lordship, the emperor, has decreed that a suitable substitute be found. This means that there will be changes in the hierarchy. Perhaps, minor changes… perhaps, major changes. However big the changes are, your duty is to know… your… place!

"You will accept the changes without question. You will accept the changes with respect. You will have no doubt in your mind that the change in the chain of command is for the better. If you do your duties without question then the integrity of the hierarchy will remain like oak, and the strength of the military will be like steel. Our battles will be victorious, and Vector's goal will be as good as ours.

"For the Empire!" Leo shouted, ending his unplanned, simple, lecture-like speech for the new recruits.

"Devenias Gastra!" shouted Celes's company.

He dismissed us! Celes thought with relief. I guess he's not going to strip me of my rank after all! Thank the goddesses!

"Commanders, resume the new recruits' training for the day. You have fallen behind schedule and have a lot of catching up to do!"

The commanders saluted and then started barking orders for the new recruits. The recruits scrambled to follow them. They were ordered to go back to the main assembly ground for their barrack assignment. General Cristophe remained standing on the same spot, watching the young recruits run past him in haste. He saw Celes turning to follow her commander. It was then that he said something to stop her.

"Lieutenant Chere! A word with you please?" General Cristophe called out in a clear voice. With a worried look, Celes glanced back at him and hesitated to come for only about a split of a second.

Celes stood before General Cristophe tall and proud. If she were to be discharged this day, then she might as well accept it with dignity.

"At ease, Lieutenant. I wish to speak with you about two things. First of all, I want you to know that you've handled yourself quite well back there."

"Thank you, general," she replied, her expression, serious.

General Cristophe walked slowly past her and stared into the distance towards where the new recruits have gathered, close to the line of barracks. "Second of all… I wish to talk to you about a matter of great importance."

My untimely dismissal--of great importance?

"What do you see, Lieutenant?" General Cristophe asked as his eyes remained fixed at the crowd in the distance.

"Sir?" she asked, not sure of what he meant.

Leo glanced back at her with a slight smile on his lips--almost a charming smile and a rare one at that. "The crowd of people gathering at the main assembly ground--what do you see when you look at them."

Celes was confused and worried at the same time. She didn't know where the conversation was pointed to. All she knew was that she had no choice but to answer his question and find out. "I see… my commander and my comrades preparing the new recruits, sir."

"Precisely, Lieutenant. You see the old and the new interacting. I bet some of the recruits are nervous and yet some are eager. Which one were you, Lieutenant?"

"Er… I suppose I was both, sir."

General Cristophe chuckled softly. Again--a rare sight. "So was I, Lieutenant… very long time ago. I was eager to ascend the ranks through determination and perseverance. And yet I worried about so many things, big and small. I worried about not overcoming an obstacle in training and about not surviving the battles."

"You've accomplished a great deal, sir," Celes noted out of respect.

General Cristophe turned around to face her. "Have I really, Lieutenant? Or was I simply lucky? A long time ago when I was a lieutenant such as yourself I had a friend who was also a lieutenant. He was better at many things than I was. He was stronger than I and also faster. He was clever and cunning. He did not tire very easily, and our sword skills at the time were closely comparable. Knowing him, he would've made it easily to generalship.

"But something went wrong while we were in training. There was an accident involving a poorly tied rope and the hard ground. He had broken his knee in the fall and was never able to walk without a limp ever again. He quit the military after a month. He was never the same man since then.

"Another person I knew was like my friend. He was my old commanding officer. He was courageous and honorable. He was a calculating tactician and a great leader. He had led his men to victory several times. One unfortunate night in a training camp outside of Vector, he was bitten by a snake in his sleep. He was found dead in his tent in the morning, and Vector grieved for her loss." General Cristophe sighed and smiled.

"Two very good people did not make it up the ladder because of seemingly trivial misfortunes. Had I been one of the unfortunate ones, somebody else would be delivering you this message.

"Forgive me. This must be confusing you very much."

Celes didn't answer. She tried to hide her confusion with a stern expression, but her blue eyes betrayed her. They always did.

"Celes--er… may I call you Celes?"

Celes was taken aback. Of all people to call her by her first name, there stood the most prominent man in the military. Her thoughts were now more muddled than when their conversation had first started. She didn't know where it was going but she knew that it concerned her… somehow.

"Y-yes, sir," she said quickly after she finally realized that she had been quiet for a long moment.

"Celes, as I said earlier to the new recruits, changes occur every time in the chain of command. These changes are always for the good of the military; hence, it is also for the good of the Empire.

"An edge dulled from experience will need to be sharpened again. After this is done, the shape of the sword is changed minutely--almost unnoticeable. The bearer will feel no change in his swings and slashes. He will be able to fight the same way that he is used to fight. Whenever there is a need to change a part of the hierarchy the Empire will jump to the opportunity. Often times, these changes are very small and the ranks remain unaffected in the least. The balance of power is not disturbed, and the people adapt to the change very quickly.

"But a badly battered sword remains strong by casting it again into the fire to be forged anew. While the blade is red the sword itself is weak. But such weakness is only temporary. While the hammer strikes true and the metal endures the forging, the sword is made stronger. Such a drastic change for the bearer of the sword may be disconcerting at first. The weight and feel of the blade may be very different from the way it was prior to the second forging. The wielder may falter many times as he fights, but as time progresses, he, too, will adapt and learn to wield it.

Celes listened very carefully and thought about how the conversation concerned her. It had gotten to the point where it worried her so much that she just wished he'd get it over with.

Say it! I'm fired! I'm out of the army. Is that so hard to say? I'm just a lieutenant, for crying out loud! You don't owe me an explanation. You're not doing me any favor by giving me all these lecture of how important it is to… get rid of me! Celes thought angrily. It was the kind of anger that normally spawned from anxiety and frustration. Her being guilty did not help any. Being talked to by a general didn't help either. It was embarrassing, and she was afraid. What would she do when she was out of the military? The tension was too much for her to bear.

"There will be a great deal of change in the military, Celes--"

A great deal? Then what are you doing here wasting your time with me?

"--and it will come to the whole military… perhaps the whole of Vector in a shock with a magnitude far greater than when we all heard the news of General Fencross's comatose."

Aren't you exaggerating this just a tad bit? How can my dismissal from the army be that shocking? Unless… Celes paled. A chill crept up her spine making her to shudder. She shifted her position to prevent General Cristophe from noticing. Unless there has been a change in the way punishments are exacted upon officers. To serve as brutal reminders to those who may betray the Empire. Her mind ran wild in panic.

"The soldiers of the Empire need to see an example the likes of which none have ever seen before. And I want to make an example out of you."

Oh, please tell me I'm wrong!

"The military needs to be taught a lesson of honor, discipline and humility from the most unlikely candidate."

Me?

"You are that candidate, Celes. In two days time you will be presented before the entire military."

To be hanged? Shot?

"The Emperor will be there, of course, and--Celes? Are you feeling well?"

Celes was hyperventilating. It took her a while to gather enough strength to utter the words.

"What… did I do… to deserve this?" she asked worriedly.

General Cristophe grinned. He looked ominously cruel to her. "The New Council voted for you."

"Voted?!" she gasped. She felt sick. "You mean… they… chose me?"

"I know it must be hard for you to understand, Celes, but yes," General Cristophe said sympathetically.

"How… why did they choose me?"

"Many different reasons, Celes. Quite a few that I cannot explain to you but the honor is all yours!" he replied with a bright smile.

Celes looked at him in horror. She wanted to run away, but she was beginning to feel sick to the stomach.

"S-s-s-surely there must be… somebody who is more… deserving than I?!"

"We've thought about it carefully, and we've all come to the conclusion that you deserve this great honor most of all! This must be very exciting for you!"

Celes looked at her quizzically with her mouth hanging open. She was trying to figure out who, between the two of them, had just gone completely insane.

"Exciting?!"

"And utterly confusing for you, I imagine," General Cristophe added almost apologetically. "All will be explained shortly, I assure you."

There's no such explanation in the world that will make feel better about it!

"Not only will you serve as a lesson to those who lack in faith in the military you will also be an inspiration."

Come again?!

"They will come to respect you for the prestige, eventually. It will be difficult to earn everybody's respect, but with a lot of trying you will prevail!"

Celes could not fathom the depths of those two illogical sentences. Respect my death? Death is a prestige? And how can I keep on trying after I'm already dead?! And what good is their respect if I'm already dead?!

"So what do you say, Celes Chere?"

"I… I get a choice?"

General Cristophe chuckled. "Of course, you do! You may be our best candidate, but you still have the last word. I will, however, try my best to convince you to take this opportunity because, I assure you, it will never come again."

I get a choice? And what did he mean by 'convincing' me? And how hard exactly is he going to try to 'convince' me?

"Well, Lieutenant? Do you accept or not?"

"No!" she cried out in distress. When she realized that her reply was out of order, she added, "…Sir!"

General Cristophe was taken aback at the quick response. At the very least he was expecting her to hesitate first.

"Of course, you don't have to give me your answer now. I want you to think about it. Please do think about this very carefully!"

"Sir, there is nothing to think about! I… I refuse the offer. People may think it… cowardly of me not to accept, but it's simply ridiculous! No offense, general, but I'd rather die in battle and not be famous about it."

"Ah! How very selfless! You are indeed what the Empire needs. I know you are afraid of this great responsibility, but I assure you that you will not be alone. You will be guided through it all until you can stand on your own," Leo said.

Not alone?

"Who else will be with me?" Celes asked.

"The best trainers and tacticians of Vector will all be behind you. The New Council will be behind you all the way. If you say yes, then you will be sharing the honor with me," he said proudly.

Him?!

"You, sir?"

"Yes. They will salute to you as they now salute to me."

Celes shook her head. Her face was still pale, and Leo was beginning to worry. "May I be frank, sir?"

"You may speak freely."

"I simply don't find all of these… appealing, sir! In fact, I find it very senseless. How can my death hold meaning for the military? What will you say to them to make it meaningful when you can't even convince me?!"

General Cristophe's smile disappeared. He raised his brows in question. He wondered whether he had heard her correctly.

"I beg your pardon!" he said in alarm and almost in embarrassment. "Did I hear you correctly? Did you say… death?"

"Yes, sir, I did."

It was Leo's turn to be confused.

"What does your promotion have anything to do with your… death?" he asked in extreme puzzlement.

Celes blushed. My… promotion? she thought.

"Yes," General Cristophe answered. Celes was too shocked to notice that she thought the words out loud.

"I'm getting promoted?" she asked in disbelief.

"Yes, you are. What did you think you were getting? An execution?" General Cristophe laughed. He had meant the last part as a joke that played as an irony to Celes.

I'm getting promoted! I'm not going to die! Great goddesses! I was worried for nothing!

Celes laughed weakly with him. She was greatly relieved and embarrassed at the same time. "I'm getting promoted!" she exclaimed excitedly. "Well, sir, that makes all the difference in the world! Of course, I accept, sir! I will be the best damned captain Vector will ever see!"

General Cristophe stopped laughing abruptly. He shook his head saying, "I don't doubt that one bit, Celes. But I do believe that you can do even better as a general."

It was Celes's turn to stop her laughter abruptly.

"Excuse me, sir, but I could've sworn that you just said 'general' instead of captain, but I do know that's not possible since captain comes after first lieutenant," she said with a nervous voice, a forced smile and chuckles.

"I did say general, Celes," Leo confirmed seriously.

Celes was stunned for a few seconds then she laughed again.

"That's… that's very funny, sir," Celes said. "Really it was. You had me there for a second."

"In fact, Celes, you are officially a general now as the New Council has dictated."

"Me? A general?" she asked dubiously. She laughed again, shaking her head. "Sir, you can not be serious!"

"I am very serious," he said sternly. "I do not take such matters lightly… and neither should you. The Council has chosen you to be General Fencross's temporary replacement."

Celes's blood drained yet again from her face. From anger to angst, to terror, to embarrassment, to shock, Celes went through them all within a short span of time like hitting the branches of the tree on her way down. Inevitably, the hard ground was next.

Celes fainted.