Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ The Truth Behind the Lies ❯ Swords, Sorcery, and Fearing the Broom ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: Rights to Final Fantasy 7 do not belong to me. I do not gain profit from this, just artisitc pleasure. Lu, however, is all mine.

I was a hindrance to the master until the day Sephiroth returned. By the time he came back almost everyone knew him as the Nightmare and few that called him by his name were considered to be huge assets to anybody. He came back when I was thirteen. It had been four years and he had changed very little.

His eyes were steelier and he had tiny lines of stress around his mouth. His hair was combed and he still wore the clothes I had given him. They fit him better now that he had filled out.

Master Petr saw him and squeaked. I heard his squeak and came out of the back room to see what had the master in a tizzy. I saw him and smiled widely.

“Get back here, girl.” The snarl came from behind me as one of the burlier apprentices grabbed me.

“Sephiroth!” I called and his eyes swung to meet mine.

In an instant his eyes went from ice to a warm welcome and the lines on his face vanished. Then his eyes hardened as I cried out because the apprentice twisted my arm and pulled.

“You let go of her.” Sephiroth growled as he stalked over to the apprentice.

The others came in from the front door to watch what would happen. The one who grabbed me let go.

“It didn’t hurt that much.” I hugged Sephiroth and he hugged me back before taking a look at my arm. It would bruise in the morning. He tried to grab the apprentice, but I stopped him. I had his eyes meet mine. “It’s okay. Nothing is broken and everything will be better in a couple of days. I’m glad you came back, Sephiroth. I’ve missed you.” I admitted quietly.

He pulled me into a hug and laid his on top of mine. “I did, too, Lu.” He stepped back and looked at me. “You’ve become beautiful since I’ve left.”

I looked at him, confused. I was pretty, but beautiful? My long, curly black hair now reached the middle of my back, but it was pulled up and away from my face. My ruby red eyes were unique in this nameless town. I had yet to have the curves older women did and I was a mere 5’3”. I was not beautiful. Especially in my threadbare sack of a dress and apron.

“Thank you, but I’m hardly beautiful. Come in and have a seat.” I gestured to the living part of the shop. The bedrooms were upstairs while the kitchen and dining room were downstairs. We settled down in two of the eight chairs. “Would you like some tea?”

Sephiroth nodded and I jumped up and put water on to boil I got out the ingredients for his favorite tea: green mint and chamomile. A strange, but good combination. The others stood and stared from the doorway. I picked up the broom and bashed one of them over the head with the broom handle.

“Get out! We want to have some time to talk without the biggest gossips in town overhearing.” I poked them with the broom handle and smacked someone else over the head and across the ribs. It wasn’t very long until the room was cleared. “Now we can talk. How have you been?”

“Things have not improved. I am still sent on missions frequently.” Sephiroth said in clipped tones while staring at the door.

I turned to see three more apprentices standing there. “This place is too crowded. Let’s go to the beach house.” I grabbed his hand and pulled him out the front door.

He allowed me to lead him to the house I call home. His burdens seem to disappear when he is with me. He actually smiles and his whole face lights up. It is then that I realize just how young he actually is. He couldn’t be more than three years my senior. I smiled back as his eyes gentled even further. We entered the house and I got a fire going. I changed out of my work clothes and into a loose, rose red peasant top with a white skirt that went to just below my ankles. I returned to find him doing push ups on the floor.

I settled down on his back to give him more to push against. “So, how have you really been?”

“They have me on a new training program. I absolutely hate it.” He growled. Then his voice softened. “And you?”

“I’ve been okay. I work myself to exhaustion most days, but I’m used to it. It keeps food on the table and a fire going and that’s really all I need. I’m glad you’ve been taking care of your hair. It looks wonderful against the black. How long will you be staying this time?”

“Not long. The regiment I’m in stopped here for the night. We’ll be going again tomorrow.”

The front door burst open and more SOLDIERs poured in. I stood up and glared at them. “What do you want? How dare you barge in to my house like a pack of rabid dogs! Get out.” I pulled a white contraption from my hair. It easily fit into my palm and could shoot up to fifty feet of the thinnest, most flexible, sharpest wire possible.

“You are wanted.” One of them addressed Sephiroth.

Sephiroth looked at him. “I have been invited into this house. You have not. Leave.” Several swords were leveled at Sephiroth.

“Put that away. This is my house. You’ll abide by my rules. Weapons down. Point those blades toward the floor.” No one moved. I flipped my wrist and pressed one of the three buttons on the side. The wire shot out and with a twist of my wrist it wrapped around the guy’s, the one that spoke, sword. It fell to pieces. “Get out.” I said as I pressed another button and it retracted back to me. “Sephiroth, you may stay.”

“You do not need to get involved, ma’am.” The leader of the group pushed through. He turned to Sephiroth. “You did not report in. As punishment you will take an all night . . .”

“He will not be punished. I am not, “ma’am”. That is not my name.” I interrupted. “You will leave my house.” I pointed toward the door.

“You have no idea what he is capable of.” The leader told me.

“I know exactly what he is capable of. I don’t know what you are able to do. Get out. You have five seconds.”

The room cleared in record time and Sephiroth and I were left in peace. We had a wonderful time catching up, but soon he had to leave again.

“I have something for you.” He told me before he left. He placed a pure piece of natural materia in my palm.

“As do I.” I told him after I thanked him for his gift.

I had made armor for him and helped him strap it on. “Now you look like a warrior. This armor is special, Sephiroth. Remember that and don’t let anyone take it.” He left soon after. Then he came back and kissed me softly on the lips.

“Thank you, Lu, for everything.” He whispered to me.

“You’re welcome, Seph.” I whispered back before he disappeared into the gray pre-dawn light.