Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ When I Faltered ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

 

A/N: Chapter 3 now revised. Thank you for reading!

 

 

 

When she awoke, her eyes were heavy, tongue sluggish, mind hazy. She blurrily looked to the ceiling, a soft glow being kind to her eyes, her head lolling to the side.

 

There was a man there, the prettiest man she had ever seen, all downy silvery feather hair and cleverly sharp ocean blue eyes, watching her as she tried to place how she knew him. She could see a man like that in a swarm of elegant courtiers, a sea of beautiful essence, and despite their grace, he remained untouchable. What kind of woman, or man, would it take to catch the eye of someone like the one before her?

 

What would it take to make his heart flutter and to captivate him? Looking to his eyes, even in her drunken state, she doubt someone like him did anything remotely like “flutter” in any capacity, his attention if caught most suitably something intense and binding, soul-consuming.

 

In a few blinks and moments of silence, her tired memories pulled together.

 

Kuja. That was who was at her side.

 

Looking about, she recognized her rooms and a fire blazing in its stone hearth, keeping the desert night air at bay. It took her several tries to will her tongue and throat to move, coercing her body into producing words.

 

“What…did…you…give me?”

 

Her breath was coming in pants from the effort it took to expel the words from her mouth. 

 

He blinked, long silver lashes sweeping with it. “A pain reliever, a sleeping agent, and a curative spell. You didn’t heed my warning.”

 

She tried to steady her breathing, alertness coming onto her fruitfully for her efforts.

 

“I’ve lost some valuable research material due to your carelessness. The fact that you’re still living means you owe me a debt, my lady.”

 

She slowly made to pull her covers down to assess the damage but then realized she was undressed. Completely. She looked to the man beside her but he gave nothing away as he watched her, wearing merely a robe himself, bare feet peeking out the ends of it.

 

“My mistake but I wasn’t aware that you yourself were a magic user?” he prompted. Her breathing began to even out, her thoughts clarifying and giving her relief.

 

“A red mage. Mostly in name only.” There was no point in lying about her capabilities, especially if what she suspected about his own proved true.

 

And she was right. She could pose no threat to him. While a well seasoned red mage was a jack of all trades, they were a master of none, the most skillful only capable of secondary level spells.

 

“Are there more of those creatures down there? Are those what those rooms are filled with?”

 

“For each room resides one unlike the other,” he replied, settling into his chair more comfortably.

 

A master at ease within his own home.

 

“Why would you ever keep such things in your residence? Where did you find them?!”

 

“These are not local species but of my own creation. They’re failures. But that doesn’t necessarily make them useless. Yet.” Their eyes locked at the horrible revelation, what little color she had in her face draining from it.

 

“You…made that thing?” Incredulous.

 

He shrugged, not bothered by the horror in her question, “I did. And now it’s gone.” He rolled his shoulders, leaning back into his chair, his hands over lapping and resting on top of one another as he closed his eyes. “They are to keep intruders out as well as to provide material for further creations. You were merely the fool who stumbled upon them despite my words.”

 

There was silence, reflection, and fright that followed and for a moment, Hilda wondered if the man beside her bed had fallen asleep.

 

“Mr. Kuja?”

 

He opened his eyes, looking to her to confirm he was still awake and very much alert.

 

“Your debt, madam. You may pay it now.”

 

She stilled, thinking to her nakedness under the covers momentarily before he made a gesture in annoyance, clearly reading the thoughts off her face and dispelling her fears.

 

“Tell me how you constructed the current Lindblum High Council. And you know in which manner I mean.” She swallowed at that, the way he said it, as if he knew exactly how such a thing had come about. She thought about it, turning it over, wondering how such a story would benefit him. It was almost ten years too late to try to bring any charges against her and what evidence would he have? Kidnapping her alone would distort anything he would try to say against her in a tribunal. Amusement then, she concluded. He merely wanted to hear the tale himself, if nothing more than to pass the time.

 

She relaxed into her pillows, looking to the ceiling, ignoring the fact she was naked, talking to a man who kept her prisoner so very very far from her home, and began to weave through the mire of her memories as she spoke about the events that had transpired shortly after her marriage to Regent Cid IX of Lindblum.

 

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

 

She had indeed been idealistic. Cid valued her wit and intelligence, boastful that his young bride could indeed be the change that their government needed. He was quick to announce her role as Chief Advisor, access to any and all political meetings and decisions granted to her. Bolstered by Cid’s confidence in her, she quickly brought forth recommendations of reform and restructuring campaigns, backed by legitimate studies, accountability, and projected proposals from only the best and most reliable sources. Never did a one see the light of day as they were turned down in rapid succession, each one fodder for open derision as she was condescendingly mocked for her naiveté and youthful ideology. Cid was so buried in his R&D division, his personal funds almost depleted, and he was counting on her to do her part, the two of them relying on one other to bring their mutual plan to reality. To turn Lindblum into a state of modern advancement with jobs to spares, to create a foot hold for the poor to have a chance to step forward and make a part of it their own.

 

One such occasion left her shaking and seething, her mind a pier of fiery rage at her helplessness and absolute humiliation.  

 

She had had the fortune of meeting a Sir Leo Fratley, whispers of a travelling dragoon reaching the Grand Castle, stirring a little girl longing within her as she left swiftly in common travelling attire to the pub he was rumored to be staying in. It was no reach to find the soldier, tall and lithe, pike resting against a hip, his demeanor cordial but trained, respectable and impressive. She could almost squeal in delight if she was a lesser girl. After a brief introduction, the Burmecian listened to her missive, taken aback by the keen and clever proposal the girl offered, a friendly conversation striking between the two, her and her passion for her country, himself and his travelers spirit which would one day fuel his nephews. He took her letters and made her no promises as to their outcome but assured her he would deliver them to his king none the less. She had been giddy with this sudden turn of events, hopeful that an audience would be granted, and that for the first time in a month since she had accepted her position, something was finally going her way.

 

Luck had seemed to be on her side as within a half a month, a courier, a Burmecian courier, arrived with a royal sealed envelope from the King of Burmecia no less, accepting her proposal of an audience, his stipulation being that it happened within the Grand Castle of Lindblum rather than his, his people still weary and discouraging of outsiders. She had gladly accepted, sending a missive to the council for attendance, feeling on top of the world.

 

“Hilda girl, whatever for?” Cid had asked, not negative in the least but honest curiosity, smiling at her.

 

“Trade, of course! If we could establish a new market and buy goods that have never even left their country, the gains would be astronomical!” Cid had clapped her on the back in amusement, taken in with her joy, the two conspiring at the step forward this progress would create.

 

“How did you manage something that other’s could not?” he marveled, smoothing her hair back in affection as he peered down at her.

 

“I imagine it had nothing to do with me and more from the dragoon I was able to speak with. From the results, I reckon he must hold a great amount of weight among their aristocracy.”

 

Their arrival was met with civility and decorum, dragoons in tow, fierce guards standing well over six feet on either side of their King as they were welcomed into the Grand Castle by the Chief Advisor herself, escorted personally to a rounded table in the grandest state room, her enthusiasm kept in check despite her excitement. The countries representatives did not stand nor offer any cordiality to the royalty in attendance, merely sat in their seats, a mutual look of displeasure among the lot.

 

In an attempt to mask the slight with her manners, she began speaking immediately in earnest, projecting her proposal for trade, knowing full well that Lindblum currency held no weight to the country of Burmecia, inviting trade a of Lindblum moonstone in exchange for Burmecian mythril ore.

 

The materials offered would benefit the weaponry of the dragon knights, stones that would obviously pander to the King’s interest. In turn, their surplus of ore that was overflowing in the rats’ mines could be traded in turn, Lindblum refining the gems into fuel sources for coolants to be installed within their airships. Plowing through her campaign, it was Duke Claven who interrupted first, his attitude self assured with title and tenure,” I apologize your Majesty, our little lady advisor is quite new in her position but eager to please, I assure you. What she has failed to tell you and yours is that we lack the man power to undertake such a task to mine such a hardened material. Lindblum has many feats to boast of yet sadly we are lacking in this capacity.”

 

“Furthermore,” Sir Elex,”she has also failed to enquire to us in this matter, her willfulness and lack of proper conduct in seeking the advice of this here council would have saved you a needless trip and us our valuable time as we would never approve of exporting materials that would strengthen the army of another country in the event that they would turn on us to use them against us!”

 

“As a young bride, she has yet to learn the ways of keeping her husband in her bed much less coercing foreign nobility into fruitless negotiations, “Duke Rufus added, the room deafening into humiliating silence.

 

Tears had burned as she dug her nails into her palm, keeping them at bay in order to save some form of face as she stood before the room, defeated, her mind racing to find a way to save her campaign and coming to the conclusion just as fast that there was none.

 

The King left quickly with his dragoons, silent yet seeming unaffected by the human men’s words, an untouchable and refined air about him as he exited in regal fashion. Hilda was quick to follow, issuing an apology as they descended the stairs to the lower tiers of the castle, almost having to run to keep up in pace with the much taller men’s gait.  

 

He stopped abruptly, his demeanor cool yet his words wise,” Lady Fabool.” He looked over his shoulder at her before turning to face her, taking a step closer, their differences in height astounding.

 

“I concur with your representatives; you do have much to learn.” She winced at his words, stilling herself from biting her lips.

 

“But you are still young and far cleverer than perhaps even you give yourself credit for.” Her mouth parted slightly at his admission, surprised.

 

“Your proposal. It is mighty good and I do believe it would be advantageous for the both of our states. Fix your affairs accordingly,” he advised, turning to take his leave, his parting words tossed over his shoulders, “and I shall hear you out once more.”

 

She could do nothing but gape as he existed in a flourish, something like hope igniting within her. She visited her father that night, in need of council.

 

Professor Gerrick listened to his daughters’ ordeal, not impressed nor surprised by the turn of events, sipping an awful tonic his sister in law had pushed upon him to help him sleep better at night.

 

“It seems you’re in need of an ally, Hilda.” Setting the glass down, he pulled her chair closer, causing her to hold onto the furniture as her father tugged the girl along, his head bowed and almost touching hers.

 

“Remember when I left you and your aunt for six months for Alexandria?” She nodded, her father working in a temporary exchange program between universities. “Well during my stay, I met a man by the name of Horace Artania. The cleverest man I ever met girl, damn smart, with a wicked since of humor. He taught politics but was relieved of his duties, the dean determining him too focused on government upheavals and revolutions. I’m sure it was due to paranoia more than anything else but he was let go none the less. I can think of no man better Hilda, if you can win him over. He could burn a hole through all those fools with that tongue of his, all while plotting their demise.”

 

“But if he is from Alexandria, why would he align himself with Lindblum?”

 

“I don’t think such things are of interest to his sort. He’s always been more focused on the under-privileged and their right to equality. Find him, Hilda. He may just suit your needs quite rightly.”

 

After several discreet inquiries, she learned that there was one Horace Artania in Treno, quick to leave alone lest any of the states representatives learned of what she was on about. She wore solid and dull colors, a brown travelling cloak hiding her features as she traversed the dangerous slums of the city of perpetual night, slipping coins into roughened hands, being directed to the most run down and bawdy of Treno’s brothels. She had not disclosed her plans to her husband, knowing he would have refused her request to partake of such a perilous undertaking, merely explaining that she was visiting relatives abroad.  

 

It was a miracle she was neither robbed nor raped, so many ominous shadows and lurking goons watching her every move in suspicion, her steps measured to neither be too quick nor too slow. She stopped at the deteriorating building she had been instructed to, hardly any light peeping through curtained windows, indiscreet sounds loud enough to be heard from the street. There was no sign, there would not be, not for such an establishment. There were many as such in every city, in every district, and for a moment, she had wished this was one of the finer businesses, with a clean and discreet appearance rather than the one she stood before. Snorting un-ladylike at the brief, strange thought she momentarily allowed herself to wallow in, she moved forward, her fingers lacing over the drawstring of her coin pouch.

 

Being rebuffed initially as she knew she would, it cost her three thousand gil to have the man at the front interrupt their patron. She knew the price was far more than what they most likely would have settled for had she negotiated but she didn’t care. She sat down in what she hoped was the cleanest chair in the “lobby”, her ears remaining open for any movement lest she had been tricked.

 

“Your clothes may have disguised you well enough but your posture does not. Who are you?” She wanted to smile, knowing it was the man she had been looking for despite never having met. She turned to look over her shoulder, bowing her head slightly in greeting.

 

”Mr. Artania.”

 

He didn’t bow nor address her, merely waited for her to answer his question. With long ashen brown hair and several weeks’ worth of facial growth, he was not well put together, a far off cry from any scholar she had ever met. Tall and lanky, he had dark circles under his grey eyes, his robe haphazardly closed. He was not ugly but not handsome either.

 

She stood then to face him head on; locking eyes with him to impart her earnestness to him despite the strange circumstances they both were in, “My father is Artemis Gerrick. He advised that I should seek your council in some difficult circumstances that I have found myself in.”

 

She could see the recognition in his expression, his features softening a little as his shoulders relaxed a bit,” Gerrick, you say. And what might his little girl,” and he looked about their surroundings, “be searching me out for un-escorted at night and in such a place as this?”

 

He didn’t look embarrassed in the least about being found in the run-down brothel but his voice was a little disconcerting as she could now smell alcohol on his person but his words and manner of speech were very articulated.

 

“This “little girl” is the Chief Advisor to the Regent of Lindblum.”

 

His eyes widened but only a second before his features hardened, his eyes brows furrowing, “What is it do you want?”

 

“I am nothing more than a young fool, sir, who cannot care for her people nor better their circumstances in any capacity. My Regent is at the forefront of groundbreaking developments that would elevate his people with safe travel and job opportunities, his own coffers nearly depleted in his efforts to make his work a reality.”

 

Something she said obviously struck with him as his earlier displeasure at hearing her title evaporated.

 

“And your dilemma?” She didn’t take offense at his lack of address, confident in her father’s words.   

 

“My council is full of veteran members who are only after their own interest. And I am not strong enough to fight them.”

 

There was a moment of silence as he openly assessed her, taking in her words and comparing them to the small woman before him.

 

“And you have come to me to ask me what you should do in regards to them?”

 

“I have come calling that you ally yourself with me, a stranger, a daughter of a long ago acquaintance, to become the strength I lack but require to see my plans through.”

 

She thought she saw the corners of his lips twitch but was unsure.

 

“And what strength do you believe that I possess that would enable such a feat?”

 

Her father had mentioned the man’s dismissal from the Alexandrian university was due to his emphasis on lectures concerning revolution and such.

 

“I need council on how to crush those that would stand above all others for their own self-serving satisfaction.” Her voice was cold intent, not masking her meaning.

 

“Those are mighty big words, little one.” Again, silence. A long spell of it as she waited, searching his face, hoping to find what she desired.

 

And when he spoke, she let out a gust of breath she had not realized she had been holding.

 

“When do we begin?”

 

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

 

They shared a tiny room aboard a cargo ship on the way to Lindblum, neither one mentioning what such an action would look like in polite society. She had purchased him alternate attire before their exit from Alexandria and in the corner of their small cabin; he had trimmed his facial hair with a dullish knife, making him look somewhat more approachable. Eventually breaking the silence, he sat on the cot across from her own, hands at his knees.

 

“So, you need me to be your dagger but what others have you allied yourself with in order to see this plan through?”

 

“You are the first.”

 

He nodded at that, assuming as much.

 

“I’m quite new in my tenure, sir, about two months so. I may lack experience but I am not so foolish as to not see what is right in front me.”

 

“I am curious as to why the Regent would deem such a young one as you to fill this role. It is a much-coveted position; I imagine there is many an experienced politician biting at the opportunity.”

 

“I am his wife.”

 

Had he been drinking, he would have choked; the reaction surprised enough to make a small grin creep along her face.

 

“And you decided to only tell this to me now?”

 

“It wasn’t my intention to keep it from you. I wanted you to understand that I was approaching you as a Chief Advisor, not a wife.” Her words spoken were pure honesty and something brief moved within him.

 

Quiet ensued for a time before he spoke again, needing a moment to organize his thoughts as he registered this new information.

 

“Your father might have mentioned that I am not fond of nobility. In my younger days, I was enthusiastic and confident in my ideals. I admit that time and failure has made me somewhat cynical.”

 

He looked at her again, eyes boring into hers.

 

“But you are not born from nobility. And you have a look about you and a manner in which you speak that rings truth. For lack of better judgment, I’ll take a chance on helping you. But only you and not your Regent. Do you understand what I am saying?”

 

Something heavy settled on her chest, taking her breath away. He would be her ally. But only hers. And if the guillotine were to fall on her lest she be caught, her failure would also be his demise. The way he was looking at her and the power in the words in which he had spoken to her made her want to do whatever it took to ensure his loyalty would not be misplaced.

 

She extended her hand, never moving her gaze from his, her words meaningful,” I do, Mr. Artania. And I hope in time, I will have the opportunity to show you my gratitude to the fullest.”

 

He grasped her own, firmly, a bargain struck.

 

“So,” he announced, withdrawing his hand to clap it against his own, the sudden sound almost making her jump,” you have no one particularly loyal to you, including your husband?”

 

“My husband is to know nothing of this. If anything were to come back on either of us, I want there to be no evidence that he was ever involved.”

 

He nodded in agreement at this.

 

“And you have no spies?”

 

She shook her head,” No. I come to my room sometimes to notice things have been tampered with, namely letters, my journals, etc. I understand that any number of things will need to be moved in order to properly clean but the manner in which these items are handled has let me know I am being monitored. By whom and under whose instruction could be just about anyone. I cannot dismiss any of the help without catching them in the act itself.”

 

“You will not need to dismiss anyone, Hilda.” He still did not address her by any of her titles but that fact made her feel confident in their partnership, an equality among two souls bent on reform. “You will need to win them over. By not letting on that you know of their misdeeds and by being the hand that they can rely on and turn to in trouble, you can create an army of loyal spies among your servants alone.”

 

How very tactful this man was. Her father had made no mistake in advising her to seek him out.

 

“Now tell me what you know about each one of these men, leave no detail out no matter how trivial you might think it is.” He leaned forward, voice lowering slightly.

 

“Do you not need pen and paper sir?”

 

He smiled at that, tapping his temple with his index finger, “Trust me, I’ll remember everything.”

 

She began with Sir. Elex, the first of twelve members, his seniority in his seat, his title, lands, designated household, 3 children, 4 grandchildren, and no living spouse. Despite his accounted circumstances, he lived above his means, highly so, but there were no creditors seeking him out and his finances in his banking establishment were clean of red.

 

Duke Rufus lived within the capital proper despite his country estate, no children, never married. His household staff changed entirely every three months but were compensated handsomely for their short employment.

 

She continued on for two additional hours and when she was finished, the older man deemed it time they went to sleep, filing away the information his companion had given him, two quiet “goodnights” whispered into the dark after the lantern was blown out, their cloaks used as additional blankets to keep out the cold in their tiny cabin.  

 

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

 

Mr. Artania took residence within Mr. Gerrick’s household to reduce any suspicion and reports that might be made had he stayed in the castle proper, giving him ease of access to the Chief Advisor of Lindblum as a scholarly acquaintance of the lady’s father.  

 

He was quick to action within less than a day of their arrival, giving strict instruction that no correspondence between them ever be by letter and anytime they were to meet, it would be through her father’s missive instead of their own, to erase suspicion.

 

“Twelve is a mighty large feat,” she mused aloud, sitting in her father’s office at the university, the man in mid-lecture, leaving the two alone.

 

“We don’t need to worry about all of them, Hilda. Once we begin, only the fools will try to retaliate. The smarter ones will recognize the storm for what it is and quietly relieve themselves of their positions once we make examples of the first few.”

 

He had set their focus on Duke Rufus first, quietly taking to pubs himself discreetly to inquire about any servants whom had worked in the man’s household and were currently seeking employment. Finding two young men in their early twenties, a Gaddes and an Alan, he immediately set them up as staff within the Grand Castle to their enthusiastic gratitude.

 

Hilda waited a week, long enough for the men to get comfortable, before accidentally knocking into one strolling down the Red Hall, tea and cream soaking into the delicate fabric of her dress.

 

“M-My Lady, I am s-sorry,” dark hair with stunning green eyes peered down at her in helplessness and she felt sorry for the stuttering man, quick to help him pick up the porcelain from the red carpet, smiling at him softly to assure him the mistake was hers and that he needn’t fuss over her.

 

“It’s not the first time I have done such a fool thing, I’m half-convinced that I just might need a pair of spectacles…sorry, your name sir?”

 

“G-Gaddes, my lady.”

 

With feigned surprise, her eyebrows rose and she placed her hand on his, her smile becoming even warmer,” Gaddes Lott, the one Falco recommended!” she exclaimed, using Duke Rufus’ given name to give a sense of familiarity.

 

“Recommended?”

 

She nodded several times, her fingers squeezing his hand slightly, “I have had some recent trouble with some of my staff, you see, I feel there are a many that take advantage of my youth and assume I am naïve and not necessarily deserving of respect, so I feel my requests go ignored.” She schooled her features into an expression of trouble, “I know I have much to learn but I do want to do well. Falco was quite understanding of my issue and made some recommendations of his most reliable past staff, the only trouble being that he only had names to give and no other information. I was quite elated when my messenger informed me had found you and Alan. You being here is of the utmost help!”

 

A bright blush began staining his cheeks, seeping into the flesh of his face so deeply, much like the tea and cream on her dress.

 

“I was quite s-sure that the Duke didn’t l-like me at all, my lady.” His brows knitted together in confusion,” He had only ever complained.”

 

She gave a small chuckle and a pat, “That’s just his disposition, he is taciturn by nature. And please call me Hilda, you’re older than I am!”

 

“I don’t think I can do that.”

 

She looked hurt, using her small stature to her advantage, “We’re friends, are we not? I had actually meant to press upon you a task I don’t feel confident in just giving anyone. And…it’s lonely with no one on my side. Can you understand?”

 

She had to hold in her breath of relief when she felt his hand grasp hers,” I’m on your side. Y-you said you had your man seek me out. What can I do to help?”

 

She smiled brightly.

 

“I have you and Alan now, for that which I am grateful. But there are still too many people here that I cannot rely on. Do you perhaps have any recommendations yourself from your time under the Duke’s care? I fear he will not lend me any of his current help.”

 

He nodded, a smile overcoming his own face, making his handsome features stand out.

 

“I can give you the names. Although…the ones that were dismissed before we were changed out, I assume you wouldn’t want those.”

 

“Dismissed? Whatever for?”

 

He shrugged, becoming more relaxed,” Some were caught stealing, others breaking household rules. All sorts. About half were dismissed early during my time there.”

 

She remembered Artania’s words, to not let any details no matter how trivial, to go amiss.

 

“I think I might like to have those too, Gaddes. Sometimes others just need a hand of understanding to turn a new leaf, don’t you think so?”

 

He smiled in slight confusion,” If you think so, Hilda. I’ll give them to you straight away.”

 

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

 

Artania handed the fifteen names Gaddes had designated as help that were fired back to Hilda, her father sitting next to her on a chair.

 

“I have located all the former servants your new friend recommended however of these, I have located none. When sending an investigator to their families, it seems that each unfortunate soul had gone missing after their dismissal. Their families all seem to be those in poverty, their complaints and requests for investigations going on deaf ears.”

 

“Where are these people then?” Hilda’s father asked, leaning over, his hands between his boots.

 

“I’m not sure. But this Alacie Barton has a sister under your care, Hilda,”Artania pointed to one of the names on the list. “She was given to you as staff from Sir Elex. Perhaps you can find something.”

 

Hilda’s attention perked at this, the coincidence being too much to ignore.

 

The prospect of so many people disappearing was haunting. And if this was a trend, the numbers, if they could be traced, might be great.

 

She didn’t hesitate to locate the sister, catching the woman by surprise no less as she entered her chambers to see her rifling through her writing desk. 

 

Aracie jumped in surprise, stepping to the side and placing one hand in the other, clearly caught of trespass. She said nothing, her face devoid of emotion, waiting for punishment. The two women stared at one another in silence, waiting for the other to move.

 

“Aracie Clearwater.” Hilda called to her, waiting for the woman to respond.

 

“My lady.”

 

“You’re in here to clean more than most.”

 

“I am.”

 

“Why is that?”

 

Aracie said nothing, almost stoic in her demeanor. Small and slight, much like herself, with smallish, pretty features, and pale blonde hair pinned back with trimmed bangs above clear blue eyes.

 

“Then I shall say it for you. Sir Elex has instructed you to spy on me. Now the question is how much is he compensating you for your efforts?”

 

“Nothing, my lady.”

 

“Then you shall be in some financial circumstances if I were to have you removed.”

 

A reaction then, a widening of the eyes, but still she did not move.

 

“Perhaps I could buy your loyalty for the right price?”

 

“How much?” There was no hesitation in her response, the woman before her serious, almost deadly so.

 

Hilda raised an eyebrow in turn, “How much is enough?”

 

“My son is sick. I cannot afford a doctor or medicine. You will provide these things for him.”

 

Hilda felt her face relax then, gesturing for Aracie to follow as she made to the door, “Then let us not hesitate.”

 

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

 

It was two in the morning in the slums of Lindblum, Hilda sitting on the floor of a tiny bedroom as Aracie held her five year old little boy in her lap, the boy’s breath evening out, color returning to his cheeks. The doctor had just left half an hour ago, writing his directions for further treatment and leaving two separate tonics to be taken each night before bed.

 

“Aracie,” Hilda finally spoke, sensing relief in the woman above her, holding on to the little one in her lap fiercly,” Do you know what has happened to Alacie?”

 

She looked to the noble woman sitting on her rotting floor, marveling at the circumstances she found herself in. “You know about Alacie?” A bitter smirk took her face as she whispered; her face etched in a life of lessons learned the hard way. “I was told that if I didn’t look at your things and report what I found, that I would be taken as well.”

 

“Taken where?”

 

“To the brothels at the mines.”

 

“The moonstone mines? There are none registered there, it would be too far to monitor.”

 

They were both silent as Hilda processed this information.

 

“So the missing servants are all sent to this hidden business?”

 

“Some are and others are used as forced labor in the mines. They don’t come back, my lady.” This was said with quiet finality.

 

She remembered the rebuke she had received at her audience with the King of Burmecia, made to look the fool as it was brought to light that there was not enough man power to extract the precious stones from the earth to accommodate orders from another countries military.

 

 “This is why Rufus is changing hands so often. Filtering those who are of use to his and Elex’s schemes.”

 

Aracie nodded, already knowing the truth to these horrors.

 

“Who is all aware of this?”

 

“Virtually no one. I happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time to hear the details and in turn was given to you mam, to spy on you in order to not be taken too.”

 

Hilda stood then, her bones beginning to ache, “You may stay here for the night, Aracie. I must retire.”

 

The maid didn’t see her out, nor did she wish her too, too focused on her little boy in her arms.

 

She made a mental note to look into her staff’s wages, not understanding why a doctor could not be afforded if working in the Grand Castle no less! She went straight to her father’s house to wake Artania, giving strict instructions to collect Aracie and her family immediately and to place them into a hidden home until everything came to pass. She relayed the information she received, the man fully awake by the time she was finished, the cogs of his mind already turning at the prospect.

 

“Go home and rest. Surely your husband will notice your absence. In this we will need his assistance but spare the details so that he will not be aware of what we are about.”

 

He instructed her to have him conduct a simple inspection of the mine. Once they find the workers unaccounted for by surprise, the brothel, the missing people, and those involved will all follow suit.

 

She returned home immediately, finding Cid in her chambers, his hair standing on all ends as he sat in her bed still fully dressed.

 

“Where have you been?!” he nearly hollered, clearly alarmed and more than a little worried. She could have almost laughed as she sat next to him, almost having to hop in order to clear the length of the mattress from the floor.

 

“I have many things to tell you, but I cannot just yet. I need you to trust me. And I need a favor.”

 

The Regent looked to his young wife in annoyance, but complied all the same, listening to her missive, wanting to question her, but knowing it would do no good to not listen to her instructions exactly as she had dictated them.

 

The Regent followed through his Chief Advisor’s request to the letter, sending an order for a standard inspection from the city capital without notice, Artania and Hilda’s plan executed quite nicely. Duke Rufus was brought before a tribunal, his staffing records matching some of the workers found within the mines and the unlisted business secretly adjoined to it, profit from both establishments received into the account of the Duke and Sir Elex per secret ledgers found in their offices within their homes.

 

Stripped of titles, estates confiscated, they were imprisoned forth with and a meeting was conducted to address the remaining members in concern of their two newly opened seats.

 

Hilda’s face was devoid of emotion as she spoke, “I have two individuals that I would like to extend an invitation to concerning our new openings. I have two personal acquaintances from my time in the university, recommended by Dean Hessain himself, I-“

 

Cut off, to no surprise, the rebuttal expected,” Lady Hilda, we need to propose individuals with experience, not scholarly friends who have no grasp what running an actual country is like outside of their libraries and laboratories.”

 

She locked eyes with Lord Kaynes, needing to impart the seriousness of their situation,” Indeed sir, Mr. Ferris Yule is a professor of Politics and Social Science for the past twenty years. Miss. Daersere’ Langford is a design engineer, with twelve years of experience in her field and is highly commended.”

 

“Have you looked into their backgrounds? We cannot have another scandal such as the one we are in now?” Sir Thane.

 

“Indeed. Just as I had investigated Duke Rufus and Sir Elex, I will be initiating an investigation into all members of this council, lest there be anything untoward going on without me knowing of it.”

 

Silence enveloped the room.

 

“Your investigation, Lady Hilda?”

 

She nodded, looking to Reano and then to Pendle as the latter asked, “You did?”

 

She inclined her head again, but did not let up on her stare, letting her body language speak for itself.

 

The silence was deafening.

 

And just as Artania predicted, the resignations came in one after another, those with anything to hide quicker than those who realized they were being out numbered in opinion, also following suit.

 

And as she had promised herself, she made sure that Mr. Artania would not regret having allied himself with her.

 

With Cid’s approval, she sipped her tea delicately in her father’s drawing room as the older man sat across from her, unsure of the news she had brought.

 

“I want to express my gratitude for everything you have done for me and the future of this state.”

 

“I can think of an outrageous amount of gil if you’re having difficulties, Hilda.”

 

She laughed at that, looking into his ashen eyes before becoming serious once more,” That would come too. And residence within the Grand Castle, if you choose to except.”

 

The proposition of a position caught him a little off guard, as he had believed his duty done. The most logical thing would to be compensated monetarily and sent home like a dirty little secret never to be brought up in polite society again.

 

“What do you have in mind?”

 

“I’m in dire need of a minister, sir, and I would accept none other than yourself. Surely you can pity me enough to not leave a lady such as myself in desperate need?”

 

The wind was knocked right out of him, his eyes almost bulging. After several attempts, words were finally coming forth from his mouth, but in a very undignified and stuttering manner, which was very much unlike him.

 

“M-minister, me? S-surely…”

 

She laughed at the reaction, so dislike him as it was, almost spilling her tea. And then she did, when she felt herself grasped soundly and almost shook as he spun her around, just like a child, his laughter loud and heart-felt, hugging her tightly to himself before he let her go.

 

“You are something else, Hilda, you- “and he paused there, releasing her, bowing formerly for the first time ever.

 

“I accept gladly, Lady Fabool. Very much so.”

 

In time, Artania, Cid, and Hilda became the three pillars on which Lindblum stood, Cid bringing the state forth in modernity, Hilda and Artania working in the background to not only support their Regent’s dreams but to bolster their fruition with the prosperity of their people.

 

Artania learned in time to see as Hilda did, his loyalty extending to the Regent as well, developing a friendship that he would hold close to himself during his service, his name quickly becoming one of respectability and esteem.

 

When Hilda divulged her actions to her husband after her affairs were concluded, he all but hollered at her, hands twitching in an effort to not shake her. And only after his panic attack did his chest swell with pride as he grabbed her up roughly and kissing her soundly, stroking her cheek in affection as he marveled at his little wife.

 

“I told you, didn’t I?” he boasted, “That if anyone could do it, it would be my little Hilda.” She scoffed at him but was warmed none the less, her husband’s continuous confidence the very thing that had started it all. Her schemes had been devious and dishonest and it did not justify the ends, she would remind herself. She never wanted to ever believe that doing wrong was good, no matter in what capacity. So, she recognized herself as a villain, albeit a small one, and placed it in a box within her mind to be thought about from time to time lest she ever forget, so that she would never become one of the very men she had driven out of her assembly.

 

 

 

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

 

She had never bothered to even turn his way during the course of her story, only doing so as she had finished, looking to see him very much awake and seemingly enraptured in the memories she had recounted.

 

He was looking at her in a way she had not seen before, albeit their time together had not been very long. Something almost resembling respect, but she would tell herself to not be so sure, not trusting the man before her to ever bestow anything so positive upon her person. She was his prisoner no less. And not due to any interest in her, but her husband’s machine.

 

“I almost wish I could have been there to see it,” he mused aloud, index finger at his lip,” It seems very much like a play.”

 

He looked to the woman next to him, trying to imagine her as a sixteen-year-old girl, already knee deep in political schemes as she moved the very government of her country to her favor. It was also a telling warning for him to take note. His captive was capable of far more than he had originally thought, no simpering, crying noblewoman, not at all.

 

He would have never believed such a tale had it come only from her but it was King who had originally enlightened him of her past power move, solidifying what she had told him.

 

Standing, he decided to make his exit, wanting to savor the story to himself in his private rooms. Although the wound had been cured, the side effects of such a hastily made spell would still be there. Phantom pains, fever, and lethargy. The tonic he had given her for pain should be wearing off soon. He decided it best to not give her another.

 

‘Let them overcome you. There’s a lesson to be learned from your trespass, my lady,’ he thought, excusing himself from her room, leaving her alone to the pain and heat that would eventually consume her the rest of the night and next day.

 

 

 

A/N: I wanted “Irontail” Frately to be the dragoon Hilda had met but the timeline didn’t fit, so “Uncle Leo” was introduced. I apologize for the rushed chapter, when I first thought of this part, I didn’t realize the scope of the mini story and how big it actually was, trying to fit it all in just one chapter. I apologize! Thank you for reading!