Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Curse or No Curse ❯ Curse or No Curse ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Curse or No Curse

'We finished high school about a month ago. But I've been worried about Kyo. He's been very quiet and he seems to not want to be around me as much lately. I wonder if I've done something to upset him.' Tohru thought to herself, as she walked next to Yuki and Kyo walked behind them looking at the ground with his hands in his pockets.

Her mind flashed back to earlier that afternoon. "Yuki, Kyo. Why don't you take Tohru to do a little grocery shopping! You all need to get out of this house for once since you graduated." Shigure said cheerfully.

"I don't mind taking Ms. Honda, but I would prefer not to take that stupid cat with us." Yuki stated. Everyone was surprised to see Kyo already at the door.

"Yeah yeah. Let's just go already and get it over with." He said depressingly, stepping outside.

She was so worried about him that she forgot the grocery list at home and had to try to remember what she needed.


"Ms. Honda? Is everything alright?" Yuki asked. Tohru jumped slightly in surprise.

"Oh! Yes! Everything is fine!" She replied. But it wasn't. She was worried about Kyo. She glanced over her shoulder once more and saw him still staring down to the ground. 'What could be the matter?' She mentally asked herself.

The three of them finally returned to the house. Yuki opened the door for Tohru and she smiled at him. Kyo grunted and lept to the roof. Tohru looked back and sighed. She entered and Yuki followed with the groceries in hand.

Tohru put the food in it's rightful places and decided to start on diner for everyone. There were more leeks than they would eat before they went bad, so she made a big pot of leek stew.

Everyone gathered around the table. Kyo was still on the roof while Tohru served the stew. Kyo finally walked mopingly into the dining room. He smelled the leeks and his hair stood up.

"Leeks! I hate leeks! I'm not eating that crap! I'll be on the roof." He said turning around.

"Wait Kyo!" Tohru called. He stopped and glanced back. He saw her holding out salmon and cod rice balls. He turned back a little more, shocked to see she made a whole separate meal just for him. "I made these for you cause I know how much you hate leeks. I hope these are better." She said timidly. His heart caught in his throat. He wanted to tell her thank you. But if he did, his emotions would show.

Kyo turned around and ran out the door, slamming it behind him. He retreated to the roof where he always dwelled. Tohru's heart sank. 'I was wrong. It wouldn't make him feel better.' She thought.

"Excuse me. I'm going to go try and talk to him." She said bowing before she stood, taking the rice balls with her.

Tohru stood at the foot of the ladder. "Kyo? Can I come up?" She called softly. She was so scared he was mad at her.

"You can do whatever you want." Kyo said unenthusiastically. She sighed to herself in relief that he would let her come up.

She climbed the ladder, careful not to drop the specially prepared rice balls. They were his favorite after all. She got to the top and sat the plate on the roof to let herself climb the rest of the way up.

She put her foot on the last ladder step and it slipped. She gasped. She would fall to the ground below. Kyo's stomach flipped. He rushed in the blink of an eye to her side and grabbed her arms. Pulling her up.

"You need to be more careful! You could have been seriously hurt!" He told her with fear in his voice.

"I'm sorry. I just slipped." She said. Kyo sighed aloud.

"Are you okay?" He asked. She smiled and nodded.

'He was just worried about me.' She thought happily.

'Im glad she's okay.' He thought, smiling down at her. Tohru's heart melted. His smile was sweet and caring. She loved it when he smiled. She remembered the rice balls.

"Oh yeah! Here. You must be hungry." She said handing him the plate. He smiled at her again.

"Thanks." He replied. He ate every last morsel and then laid back from a full stomach. Tohru followed his lead and laid back.

"Hey Kyo? Do you need to talk about anything? I've just noticed you've been. Kind of. Avoiding me lately." Tohru asked shyly.

His dark cherry eyes looked over to her with worry. Should he just tell her? Should he allow her to know how he feels? 'That's it! I can't hide it anymore!' He thought. He sat up and turned towards her.


"Tohru." Kyo said softly. She had never heard him speak her name in such a kind and loving way. Her heart pounded and her face turned a light shade of pink. "I-I. Umm." He turned his head away from her eyes. She could now see the same shade of pink covering his cheeks. "I've felt this way for a while now, but." He paused. "I've been to scared to tell you this before." He started.

'What is he going to say?' She thought anxiously.

"I love you. With all my heart." He said turning right back into her grey blue eyes. "And it's fine if you don't feel the same way." He looked away again. "I will completely understand. I just had to find out for myself." He finished.

Tohru placed a hand softly on his cheek. He turned and looked into her eyes, surprised covering his features. "Kyo. I love you too." She replied gently. Even more shock eliminated off his face.

He through himself into her and wrapped his arms around her. She hugged him back and the cloud of orange smoke surrounded them. Tohru hugged the ball of fur closer to her as tear started to stream down her cheeks.

The small orange cat had tears in his eyes as well. 'She loves me. She loves me!' His mind screamed.

When the two of them had calmed down, Tohru pulled back and looked into the eyes of the cat. "Kyo?" She caught his attention. His ears perked. "Promise me you won't keep your feelings hidden from me like that again." She asked of him with a sweet smile. Kyo didn't have to say a thing. He nuzzled her cheek before he hopped out of her hold and sat next to her.

"If you keep hugging me, we won't be able to go back into the house before sundown." He said. She giggled a little and nodded.

The two sat on the roof watching the sunset, enjoying each others company for a few minutes. The puff of smoke engulfed Kyo. He was in his human form again. Tohru smile seeing his face again but then blushed and turned away when she realized he is naked when he turns back.

He laughed quietly to himself at her embarrassment. 'She'll have to get used to this.' His mind deviated. He put on his clothes and immediately grabbed Tohru's hand as he sat back down next to her. She blushed but accepted his hand.

The sun set over the horizon and the two of them made their way back into the house. Yuki and Shigure were both still sitting around the table. They were met by the couple's, almost glowing, aura walking into the room.

"Well, well Kyo! You look very happy! You always look vey happy Tohru! What happened to make you change your mood so quickly?" Shigure asked slyly. Kyo got irritated by his prying questions.

"It's none of your business! Why don't you go bother that damn Yuki with your questions and leave us alone!" Kyo yelled at their guardian. Yuki grinned at his sudden bust of anger.

"Hmm. It seems that you are very touchy. More than we have seen in quiet a while from you." Yuki stated trying to get a rise out of him. This bothered Kyo even worse.

"You wanna say that again rat boy! I'll show you touchy!" Kyo yelled angrily.

"I would actually much enjoy that. I haven't gotten much practice using you as a punching bag lately." Yuki taunted, standing as if preparing for Kyo to attack. Kyo's temper was rapidly rising. As an affect, he lunged forward. Yuki calmly waiting to strike.

Tohru felt fear that Kyo would get hurt. From the history between the two, Yuki always won. In her despair of him getting injured, she tried to get between the two to stop the violence. With her clumsiness, she tripped over her own feet and fell directly into the path of Kyo's charge on Yuki.

Kyo saw her and his breathing caught in his throat. He quickly slightly curved his direction as well as reaching out and snatching her hand pulling her the way she had come. Up. She fell into him and he transformed once again.

Yuki was shocked by his evasive maneuvering. He had never seen Kyo move so fast or with such procession. Shigure was also shocked but more than that, intrigued by his actions.

Tohru was now holding her favorite orange cat in her arms again. "Are you alright? I didn't hurt you, did I?" Kyo asked franticly. She shook her head.

"No I'm fine. I was worried about you getting in another fight. I don't want anything to happen to you." She said with tear welling up in the corners of her eyes. He saw the salty liquid and he hated it.

"D-don't cry! Fine!" He franticly started, then reluctantly said, "I won't fight that stupid rat if it will make you happy." Tohru smiled and nodded hugging the cat again.

"Alright. Now wouldja put me down so I can transform back?" He said trying to sound tough, even though he loved her warmth. She sat him back down on the ground and collected the dishes from the table.

"I'll go clean up a bit!" She said happily, leaving the room. As soon as she was out of sight, Yuki stomped over to Kyo's small form.

"What the he'll is going on?" He questioned. Kyo ignored him. "Answer me you dumb cat." He stated firmly.

"Didn't you hear what I said? I promised Tohru I wouldn't fight with you." Kyo replied calmly. "Who knows why she was worried. I was finally going to be able to kick your ass if I woulda had a chance."

Now, Yuki was the one getting angry. "Tell me what happened on the roof!" He yelled.

"Yes. Please share with the class." Shigure chimed in. Kyo huffed.

"Don't gotta tell you nothin." He said right before he puffed back into his regular self. He put on his clothes and laid with his back to two, propping up his head with his arm.

"Well, if you won't tell us, I'll just have to ask Tohru. Oh To-" Shigure started to call but Kyo interrupted him.

"Alright, alright!" He said slowly turning to face them. "I. Well. I'm."

"Spit it out already." Yuki said, sitting back down.

"I'm in love with Tohru. Now go ahead and get your teasing and shit out of the way so she doesn't have to hear it." Kyo said, waiting for the laughter and joking to start. But it never did.

"And I'm supposing she accepted your proposal since you're in such a good mood now. Congratulations Kyo." Shigure said happily. Even Yuki didn't tease him. He just sat there with a smug look on his face.

"And what. Your not gonna say anything to mock me?" Kyo grumbled. Yuki shook his head.

"No. I'm happy that Tohru has found something in you to love. I'm glad she is happy." Yuki explained. Kyo wasn't exactly happy with his answer, but he sort of felt the same way.

Tohru returned to the room and Kyo met her in the doorway. Grabbing her hand almost in possession. Shigure and Yuki both congratulated the new couple. Yuki actually congratulated Tohru. Not Kyo.

"Thank you both so much! We just decided to go steady. It's still new to both of us." She said looking to her new boyfriend. He smiled back at her.

Kyo couldn't believe how much he loved this girl that loved him back. He had never imagined he would find her. But he didn't. She found him. She walked into his life and the love he had for her grew over time from the experiences they had with one another. This moment was the moment that he decided to devote his life to her and only her. He would love her for the rest of his life. Curse or no curse.