Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ I'll Be Watching Over You ❯ I'll Be Watching Over You ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

I'll Be Watching Over You
 
A follow up to my other Kisa-Hiro Fan-fic: Romeo and Juliet
By: Natilie Sawada
 
********
I pray you'll be my eyes
And watch her where she goes
And help her to be wise
Help me to let go
Every mother's prayer; every child knows
Lead her to a place
Guide her with your grace
To a place where she'll be safe
********
-A Mother's Prayer
 
“Kisa! I'm so glad you could make it! Come in!” Her eyes wandered pasty Kisa to Hiro's scowling face. “Oh, and you brought Hiro along! “The more the merrier” as mom would always say!” She grinned brightly. Over the years, Hiro had learned to ease up a bit on Tohru. Even though the “Sissy” bit still annoyed him. He had mostly learned to keep his mouth shut.
“I met Hiro on the way here. He was in the park,” Kisa explained.
“I only went to make sure the little tyke didn't get hurt. Mom's not what you would call a proper “Parental Authority”.”
“Oh! That's right!” Tohru exclaimed, her eyes sparkling. “How is your little sister doing?”
“Fine,” he said bluntly.
“Oh! Come sit down!” She said, leading the way into the dinning room. Once they were all settled around the table, tea in hand, Kisa spoke, her large eyes glittering.
“Hiro's reading Romeo and Juliet.”
“Really? I read that in high school. It's a wonderful story,” Tohru praised.
“But he's reading it in English!”
“I'm impressed, Hiro. That's quite and accomplishment!”
“I guess,” he muttered.
“Ms. Honda, what's—” Yuki stared, coming through the doorway.
“Oh, hello Yuki. Did you need help with something?” She asked.
“No, I was just wondering why there were two extra voices down here, but now I see you have company. Hello Kisa.”
“Hello, Yuki!” She flashed him a smile.
“Hello, Hiro.”
“Whatever,” Hiro mumbled, looking away.
“Hiro!” Kisa exclaimed, tugging on the sleeve of his shirt. “Be nice!” Hiro sighed.
“Fine,” he said, his next words coated with sarcastic politeness and a British accent. “Hello, my dear gentleman. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance.” Yuki laughed out loud, Kisa and Tohru hesitantly joining in after. Hiro only scowled. Yuki caught his breath, wiping a tear from the corner of his eye.
“Nice one, Hiro. If only you could major in sarcasm in collage.”
“Shut up, stupid rat,” Hiro growled.
“Now, now, Hiro,” Shigure blurted from the doorway, “That's no way to treat family…especially in front of ladies.” He motioned to Kisa and Tohru and they giggled. The bell chime of Kisa's laugh melted his heart…all the anger washing away as he gazed at her nose crinkling cutely as she laughed…he eyes narrowing into lines as her entire face lit up.
“What's wrong, Hiro? Do I have something on my face?” Oops. He had been staring again. He had gotten lost in her eyes. Stupid… stupid! He scolded himself.
“Uh, no, sorry. I just zoned out for a minute.”
“Ooo,” Shigure teased, childishly, “Kisa and Hiro sittin' in a tree,” he sang while Hiro just glared. He counted to thirty in his head, trying to keep calm.
“Shut up, Shi-chan,” Hiro growled. Shigure just smiled playfully, prancing out of the room.
“What an idiot,” Yuki commented, staring after him, “Well, I'd better get back to my room. I have some things to finish.”
“Okay! Goodbye, Yuki!” Tohru called as he headed out the door.
“I'm going to go get some more tea,” Kisa said softly.
“Oh! No, Kisa, that's okay, I'll get it.” Tohru offered.
“That's fine,” she said, smiling, “I need to stretch my legs.”
“Okay,” Tohru said, “It's in the kitchen on the stove.” Kisa nodded in acknowledgment and got up and headed through the door.
“Hiro…” Tohru started.
“Yeah?” He muttered, not looking away from the door Kisa had just walked through. She hesitated before saying:
“You really love her, don't you, Hiro?”
“What? No—” he cut off, looking down, blushing. “Yeah,” he whispered, “Yeah. I really do. More than anything.”
“She's growing up,” Tohru commented.
“I've noticed.” The tone in Hiro's voice made Tohru laugh, and he blushed.
“You're really trying to fulfill your promise.”
“What?” Hiro asked, confused.
“You were trying to become a prince that could take care of Kisa, remember? You're becoming more like a prince everyday.”
“Yeah, I doubt it. And even if I am, it's not like she notices.” Hiro muttered. Tohru smiled.
“Hiro…you don't get it, do you?” He just stared at her. “Kisa loves you. Maybe she doesn't realize it yet, but she loves you as much as you love her. I can see it in her eyes every time she looks at you. I can see it in your eyes too.” Hiro was silent; digesting that piece of information.
“Really?” He asked.
“I'm sure. Just give her time and she'll figure it out on her own. I'll be watching out for her until the day when she takes your hand to lead her. Just watch over her for me, and keep her safe.”
“I will…don't worry.”
“Knowing you, Hiro, there won't be a need to.” She smiled at him.
“What's the matter, Hiro?” Kisa asked, closing the door behind her, a full cup of tea in her hand. “You have a really weird look on your face.” She smiled…the smiled she only saved for him. There…in her deep golden eyes. Yes. He could see it now.
“It's nothing,” he said, jerking himself back into reality. He looked away. Tohru just smiled, holding back a giggle.
“What?” Kisa said, her eyes wide; innocent; confused.
“It's really nothing to worry about, Kisa,” Tohru assured.
“Okay,” she said, sitting back down, smiling.
I'll be your knight in shining armor, Kisa. Hiro thought, gazing at her smiling face. I'll be watching over you.
 
THE END