Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Kyo's Kitten Reika ❯ Questioning the Babysitter ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Haru sat on the couch in Kyo's apartment with Reika reading a book to him. Kyo worked hard as he cleaned his apartment for Akito's arrival.
 
“Hey Kyo, need any help?” Haru asked as Reika finished the book and placed it back on the shelf.
 
“No, just finished.”
 
Reika ran to her room, a tornado hitting a city, as she streamed over to Kyo, thrusting a hand-made paper card to him. “Happy graduation!”
 
“Thanks” he mumbled as he set the card down by the phone.
 
Kyo turned on the television and the trio watched game shows until ten thirty. Reika had long since fallen asleep against the side of the couch and Kyo gently picked her up and tucked her into her own bed.
 
Walking back out to the living room, Kyo turned off the television as a sleeping guy snored softly. Kyo rolled his eyes and went straight to his room to sleep.
 
Haru and Reika washed dishes as Kyo cleared the table. A sharp pound on the front door made Kyo jump, but he calmed himself down and opened the door.
 
“Akito couldn't make it.” Hatori looked around the house holding a checklist Akito had written out with such detail, that there was no possible loophole.
 
“Fuck this! He set this all up didn't he!”
 
“Kyo, calm down.”
 
Hatori walked around the house, asking question after question until he had filled out the list completely.
 
“You barely passed.” Was all Hatori said before Reika gave him a hug and he left.
Reika watched as Kyo furiously stormed into his room. The phone rang, bringing her out of her state of wonder.
 
“Hello!”
 
“Hello? Is this the Sohma residence?”
 
“Yes this is.” She said, Haru rolled his eyes and took the phone out of her hands.
 
“Hello?”
 
“Hi, my name is Kursk Tustki. I'm calling on behalf of Kyo Sohma's interest in our school `Speranza Academy sector G/O.'”
 
“Hold on, I'll get him.”
 
Haru covered the phone and yelled for Kyo until he came and took the phone.
 
“Yeah?”
 
“Um, Kyo, we regret to inform you that your daughter Reika Sohma does not meet our standards. Good day.”
 
A soft click was heard and Kyo put the phone on the charger. Haru whispered something into Reika's ear causing her to giggle.
 
“What can possibly go wrong now?” Kyo muttered with a sigh.
 
Reika giggled some more and pointed to the clock, which read 1:47. “Your late to work.”
Kyo rolled his eyes.
 
“Don't worry, I'll watch her.”
 
“Yeah, yeah, whatever.” Kyo grabbed his keys and ran out the door.
 
“How long is he at work on Saturdays?”
 
“From one `til eight if he doesn't close up.”
 
“And if he does?”
 
`Til nine.”
 
Reika sat at the coffee table and started to draw. “Your boring.”
 
Haru sighed and plopped onto the couch. He didn't know what to do with her. When he watched Kisa and Hiro, they took care of each other… That's it! Haru had a great idea.
“How would you like to visit Tohru?”
 
Silence.
 
Reika continued her drawing.
 
“What color hair does Yuki have?”
 
“I don't know.”
 
Reika switched crayons.
 
“Do skittles really taste the rainbow?”
 
“No.”
 
Hatsuharu turned on the television and watched Fear Factor.
 
“What are they doing?” Reika didn't cringe at all, in fact she was interested.
 
“It's a bug milkshake.”
 
“That person is about to puke.”
 
“No, he's faking her out.”
 
Reika returned to her drawing. “Are zebra's black with white stripes, or white with black stripes?”
 
Haru turned the television off.
 
“White with black stripes.”
 
Reika switched crayons for the umpteenth time.
 
Silence.
 
“What color are cows?”
 
“A variety of colors.”
 
Reika used a few more colors and set the crayons back into their box. Then she took a pencil off the desk and worked carefully on her “portrait.”
 
“Need any help?”
 
“No.”
 
Haru watched Reika write some names at the top of her people's heads and the writing looked pretty good.
 
“Did you learn to write like that in kindergarten?”
 
“No, I didn't go to kindergarten, Ayame taught me.”
 
Haru raised his left eyebrow.
 
“Ayame?”
 
“That's what I said.” She stated in a matter-o'-fact-tone. “Can Hiro come over?”
 
“Why?”
 
“He's fun!”
 
“When did you see Hiro?”
 
“At the party.”
 
Haru rolled his eyes, yet walked over to the phone and called Hiro.
 
One ring.
 
Two rings.
 
Three rings.
 
Four rings.
 
“Hello, Hiro speaking.”
 
“Hey Hiro, want to come over and play with Reika?”
 
“Why would I want to do that?” Hiro sounded like he would rather hang out with Tohru.
 
“Because she wants you to and I don't want to answer some of her questions.”
 
“Fine, I'll come. I'll see if Hatori will drive me.”
 
“Momiji will.”
 
“Oh joy.” His mock enthusiasm ended with a click signaling the end of the call.
 
A/N- I don't own Fruits Basket.