Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ The Other Side of Fruits Basket ❯ Michiru Sekiyama ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]
I am Michiru Sekiyama. Middle sister of the Johnson sisters. The richest sisters in both Japan and America. Being a 25 year old widower, my main job is taking care of the house my mother left behind. Although, I sometimes work as a substitute teacher or play my violin in a hotel.

My father was an American doctor that was in charge in medical insurance companies and top-of-the-mill hospitals. My mother was a Japanese school teacher whose father was leading chairman of many schools all over Japan. They found each other and gave birth to my oldest sister, Chiharu. Two years later they had me and four years later they had my youngest sister, Haruka.

My mother was part of the Honda family. A family in Japan that was known for its proud teachers. The Honda family was strict about my mother and father’s engagement, but somehow they made it through all the hurdles.

My father’s family were very kind to us and greeted us warmly when my parents decided to move us to America.

My sisters and I stayed in America for the first 13 years of my life. My parents died in a terrible accident two months after their anniversary. Chiharu decided that we go to Japan and catch up with our relatives. We stayed in our mother’s old house, which was an old temple and it held a shrine honoring the Gods of Japan. The garden was very beautiful. Of course, us sisters, being the daughter of two corporate leaders, had enough money to pay off the bills. We have been promised that the vice-chairmen will look after the companies until we graduate high school. It made our hearts relieve the tension.

During my second year of high school, my sisters and I were the ‘queens’ of the school, but the ‘kings’ of the school were the Mabudachi trio. Shigure, Hatori, and Ayame Sohma. They were very beautiful people, of course, but I had already found my love. His name was Akira Sekiyama.

My sisters and I finally graduated high school in time to take two kids in our custody. Ryoko Honda and Falcon Takahashi. They were part of the Honda family. Ryoko’s parents had abandoned her and Falcon’s mother was now in a coma.

Chiharu moved backed to America, taking over the medical industry. Haruka started a motorcycle repair shop after retiring from racing.

Ryoko and Falcon were living happily with Haruka and I. It wasn’t long that Tohru Honda - daughter of Katsuya and Kyoko Honda - came to visit us. However, we stopped seeing her after the death of Katsuya.

Akira and I got married five months after the incident. I gave birth to four gorgeous daughters. Ai - the oldest. Mitsuki and Hikari - the twins and Usagi - the youngest.

Summer of 2006, Akira was working abroad to visit Chiharu. He died in a plane crash when returning home. It was two days after Usagi was born.

I kept my last name. Ai and the twins get along fine with each other and they don’t seemed to be fazed that there father is dead. I’m very glad. My daughters take care of each other and Ryoko and Falcon take care of my daughters. This little family in this little household is all we have left. The rest of the Honda family has secluded us from them. We rarely know each other anymore, but that’s fine. This life of mine had so many tragedies and happiness; however, I would never imagine that my life would make a 360 degree turn.
_________________________________________________________________ ___________________
I received a call at home. I was just getting read to pick my daughters’ up from school, well except for Usagi.

Toto-san had called me about Tohru-kun. He gave me the address and asked if I could give her a few of her packages to her. I said I’d be happy to help. ___________________________________________________________________________ __________
“Onee-chan! “ cried out Kisa’s timid voice.

Tohru swiveled her head to see a short, small girl. Her short, red hair matched her big, orange eyes as she greeted Tohru with a smile. Little Kisa and Hiro were joining her, Shigure, Kyo and Yuki for dinner. Tohru didn’t hesitate to hug Kisa as a greeting. “Waaaai! It’s Kisa-chan!” she squealed, only to attract the attention of Hiro - a boy the same age as Kisa. His brown hair was neatly comb and a mischievous look gleamed in his eyes, Kyo - a tall, slender boy the same age as Tohru. His red hair reflected his hot-headed personality and Yuki - a boy the same age as Kyo and Tohru. His feminine charm makes all the girls in the high school melt. Tohru felt a gentle bonk on her head. She glanced to see a jealous Hiro clearing his throat. “Gomen ne,” she apologized, “I’m just so excited to see you two. How are you?”

Kisa smiled happily, “Hiro-kun and I are doing very well, Onee-chan!”

“Hey,” Kyo interrupted as he held up a pot that contained the day’s dinner, “Less talking and more setting-up-the-table.”

Hiro sighed and crossed his arms. “Kyo, who do you think you are ordering a kid like me to set up the table? What if a knife accidentally stabs me?” he retorted, “How would you feel if you were to be the one responsible? Telling me to ‘set the table.’”

Before Kyo could yell back and teach the little pipsqueak a little thing or two, Yuki held him back and gave both Kisa and him a couple of chopsticks. “Set this on the table, will you?” he ordered as he pushed them out of the kitchen. He himself took five plates and bowls and marched out the kitchen, ordering Kyo to the same. The red head bad boy snarl and mumbled something under his breath. Tohru smiled as she finished adding the last touch to another meal. Finished, she picked up the plate and presented it to the hungry people in the dining area.

“Wow, as splendid as usual, Tohru-chan,” Shigure praised.

Tohru blushed sheepishly and picked up her pair of chopsticks. “I was only doing my best, Shigure-kun,” she replied.

“Enough talk, we’ll just get this food cold!” Kyo said as he broke apart his chopsticks. Before anyone could say ‘Itadakimasu,’ the doorbell rang.

“Who could that be…?” mumbled Yuki as he set his chopsticks down. He stood up and pointed towards the door. “I’ll get it.” It didn’t feel like his brother, thankfully. He opened the door to find a young woman, probably in her early twenties. In her hand were a few boxes. Behind her were three girls, two of them were twins. The tallest of the girls had a stroller, which contained a baby, in front of her. “May I help you?”

The woman smiled a very warm smile. Her blonde hair fell down to her shoulders and it bounced when she made the gesture. “I’m Sekiyama Michiru. I’d like to see Honda Tohru, please.”
________________________________________________________ _____________________________
I never thought angels existed. That is, until I met her. Sekiyama Michiru.

She was the most gorgeous person I’ve ever saw. Her blonde hair curled carelessly underneath her chin and toppled itself over her shoulders. Her blue eyes gleamed with kindness and her smile was breathtaking.

“Shigure? Yo, Shigure!” cried Kyo, “Introduce yourself, dammit.”

I bonked Kyo on the head gently and brought my bottom lip up. “Kyo, please refrain yourself from saying such words! We have children in here!” I responded as I grabbed Michiru’s hand. “Sekiyama-san, I’m very pleased to meet you. I am Sohma Shigure,” I greeted myself graciously.

Michiru gave another one of her breathtaking smiles. “I’m pleased to meet you, too, Sohma-kun.”

I could feel my heart melting. It surprised even myself that I have felt something so pure like this. Not even my novels could explain what I was feeling.

“Mommy, Mommy!”

Suddenly, I felt something rip me apart. ‘Mom…my…?’ That word haunted me as I saw three amazingly cute girls giving their warm smiles to Michiru. “No way,” I thought to myself. I continued to stare at Michiru. “She… is a mother…?” I thought, “A beauty such as her a mother?”

I could feel my heart aching. I was weeping silently to myself as my wonderful dream of being together with someone so pure as her broke to a million pieces. “Why must she have children?!” I screamed, unaware that I had said it out loud.

“What the hell are you talking about?” Kyo asked me in a rude manner. Everyone else looked at me with dumbfounded looks on their faces.

I chuckled nervously to myself. To think that I lost my cool because I found out the woman who made my heart melt has a child, or three. I would never be able live this day down. But my brown eyes glanced at Michiru again, I couldn’t help but smile to see her motherly smile.

“Still, to think that someone has already taken her,” I thought to myself.
_______________________________________________________________ ____________________
The clanking of dishes could be heard in the kitchen. Ai and the twins were playing in the backyard of the house with Hiro and Kisa. Kyo and Tohru accompanied Shigure and Michiru in the dining room as they drank a cup of tea together. Yuki was washing the dishes in the kitchen.

“I’m sorry, Auntie Michiru,” Tohru said, “You had to wait for us to finish dinner.”

Michiru smiled and waved her hands in front of her. “Oh no, no, Tohru-kun, it’s alright,” she replied, “It was my fault to intrude knowing it was dinnertime.” Michiru’s gentle eyes looked out the window to see one of the twins tripping over and having the other one glare at Hiro. She smiled gently to herself and glanced back to see the faces of Kyo, Tohru and Shigure. “I’m so glad.”

“Eh?” came the response of all three of them.

“When I asked Toto-san why Tohru-kun has a different address, he replied back that she has found a home for herself. He explained to me and I was somewhat worried to think Tohru-kun was boarding in this house with men all by herself.” Taking a warm sip of tea, Michiru noticed that Kyo seemed to have taken a bit aback by this comment. She smiled to herself.

“But now, I’m relieved,” she continued, “to see Tohru-kun with such warm people.”

Shigure nodded his head as he placed his arms around Michiru’s shoulders. “Yes, yes,” he said matter-of-factly, “We would never dare to lay a hand on Tohru-chan. A flower such as herself must be kept untouched, don’t you think so, Michiru-chan?”

Two books were dropped onto Shigure’s head . Behind Michiru and Shigure stood Yuki, who had just finished with the dishes. “Get your dirty hands off our guests. You’ll give nightmares to her,” he warned as he took a seat next to Shigure, deciding that it was only ‘necessary.’

Michiru face of surprised suddenly transformed into a face of delight. “Well, I shouldn’t stay here for too long. I only came here to drop your packages off,” she announced as she began to stand up.

“Ah! Please, let me walk you out the door!” Tohru said as she ran towards the front door, Michiru following closely behind.

Kyo huffed and opened the sliding door that lead to the backyard. “Yo, brats, it’s time for you guys to go home!” he yelled. And as quick as lighting, the three children of Sekiyama Michiru hurried to their mother’s side; unaware that they had trampled over the hot-headed Kyo.

As soon as Michiru fixed up Usagi’s stroller, the blonde woman gave Shigure a piece of paper. Shigure couldn’t believe it. It was like his dream was finally coming true. “OOOH, IT’S HIGHSCHOOL ALL OVER AGAIN!” he thought excitedly in his mind. “I hope you come visit with the rest of your family. I’d like to meet them. Please do come as well, Kyo-kun, Yuki-kun, Kisa-chan and Hiro-kun,” Michiru said as she waved to them a good-bye. Again, Shigure was crying in the inside. ‘With the rest of your family…family…family…’ Those words stabbed him continuously. “And here I thought it was a date,” he whispered to himself.

Yuki smiled as he fixed himself another cup of tea. “Your aunt is truly a kind person. She’s very well-mannered,” he commented.

Tohru sat down with a huge grin on her face. “To tell you the truth, I was very excited to see that she visited! I only saw her when I was in kindergarten, but to think that I still remember her. It makes me very happy,” she said picking up the tea cups that were no longer being used.

Kisa sat down quietly after Hiro, who also sat down, and clasped her hands tightly together. “Why don’t we come visit them? I would like to get to know Michiru-obasan much more,” she suggested timidly. She could feel the sweat fall from her head as she decided to take back what she said. Before she could speak, Shigure lunged towards her and hugged her tightly.

“Oh my Kisa, that’s such a brilliant idea!” he commented joyously.

Hiro stood up and snarled at the older man. He shouted things like “Let her go! You’ll taint her!” or “See she can’t breath anymore!” Yuki set down his tea cup and cleared his throat. Everyone then turned all their eyes towards him. “Are you sure about that, Shigure? What if someone hugs us?” he asked, perfectly aware that if something like that were to happen Michiru-san’s, and maybe a few others, memories would be taken away.

Shigure flapped Kisa’s hand up and down. He had a rather confident look on his face. “Now, now, Yuki don’t be such a nag! Everything will okay!”

Kyo sighed. He looked out the window, still unable to shake the feeling he felt when he remembered about the meeting he had with Tohru’s mother. “You say that, but…” he thought to himself.

“Of course, we must invite Momichi and Haru-san . Oh and a party wouldn’t be complete without Haari(Hatori) and Aaya(Ayame)!” Shigure said.

Yuki and Kyo stood up as soon as they heard Ayame’s name. “Absolutely not!” they shouted together in perfect unison.

Shigure ignored their pleas and glanced at Tohru, who had quietly returned back to the dining area. “Well, then, it’s decided Tohru-chan,” he said, “you must call the glorious Michiru-san that we shall all be visiting this weekend!”

“Ah, okay! I’ll call her now and let her know!”

“Wait, Tohru! Don’t do whatever Shigure tells you to do!”
“Yeah, he just wants to see Michiru again!”

“Why I never-!”

“Just leave her alone. She is but a stupid woman!”

“Shut up, you punk!”

“Ah… Kyo-nii…Hiro-kun…”
__________________________________ ___________________________________________________
I locked the front door. I could already smell the curry that was just finished. I stepped into the dining area to see everyone waiting for me. They all greeted me and we had our dinner together. It didn’t take me long to start talking about Tohru-kun. Everyone seemed to be excited that the family she has been living with is now coming with her.

Haruka cleared her throat and set her cup of tea down. “That reminds me, Onee-sama is coming this weekend.”

“Eh?” I replied, almost in a whisper. I heard the phone ring and I said that I will be the one to pick it up. And it was on that phone call, that my life and the lives of those around me began to change rapidly…

The End of Chapter One
The Other Side of Fruits Basket