Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Unleashing the Monster ❯ Moving In ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Alrighty then! This is my super-awesome, uber-cool, spaz-taztic Fruits Basket fanfic. Excited? I am! Ok, then! Let's light this bad boy!
 
Unleashing the Monster
 
Chapter 1: Moving In
 
 
“Well, Here's your new living quarters, Kyo.”
Kyo dropped his duffle bag on the floor with a dull thump, causing a small cloud of dust to rise, and peered around the small, dirty apartment. If it could be called that. It consisted of a single room. A small refrigerator and table were shoved in one corner. A small dresser in the other, a sleeping mat rolled up next to it. A couch sat next to the door, pointed at a tiny TV set. That was about it.
At first glance, It merely seem like a small, dirty apartment. But then you may notice the old steel bars fitted into the only window. Kind of like a prison. Which is exactly how Kyo saw it. His own, personal, disgusting prison. He felt a deep loathing spread through his chest. Yet, it wasn't hatred for the lonely room itself. It was for the bastard in front of him, evil smile spread across his sickly face. Kyo ground his teeth as Akito held out his arms, showing off the room.
“You like it, Kyo?” He asked, looking around the room as though it was a priceless treasure. “I guess it is a little dirty, isn't it? Well, I daresay you will have plenty of time to clean it, won't you?”
Kyo clenched his fist.
The god looked down at his watch. “Oh, dear, I simply must get going. Important matters.” He walked over to the door, fishing a set of keys from his pocket. “I'm so glad you're back , Kyo.” His voice dripped with spite. “Now I can keep an eye on you.” With that, he snapped the door closed, leaving Kyo alone in his private exile. As the key turned purposefully slow in the lock, the cat lost it.
Swinging his fist at the nearest object, Kyo felt no satisfaction as his hand went through the back of the couch. He stood frozen for a moment, breathing heavily. Then closed his eyes and stood up, taking a deep, calming breath. He couldn't let Akito get to him.
Running a hand through his thick orange hair, Kyo grabbed his bag and wandered over to the dresser. He dropped it on the ground, flopping down next to it. The sound of the zipper echoed loudly through the silent room, causing the hairs on Kyo's neck to stand on end. `It's too quiet.' He thought, pulling clothes out of his bag to put in the dresser. He wasn't used to silence. There was always a fight going, or side comments made by a certain perverted dog. Or she would be singing; humming softly to herself as she hung the laundry out to dry, the sun reflecting off her dark brown hair….
Kyo shook his head. `Don't think about it' He reminded himself. He tugged a shirt out of the bag and uncovered an old cigar box. Kyo sighed, setting aside the T-shirt and opening the box.
Taped to the inside of the lid was an old, faded photo of his mother. She was smiling, a real smile. Kyo never saw her with a smile that bright. Yes, she did always smile, but it was a fake smile; A hollow shell of happiness. Even back then Kyo could tell.
Next to his mother's picture was a newer photo. A girl in a bright pink swimsuit was kneeled in the sand, laughing as an ocean wave splashed up into her face. Her long, wet, brown hair was plastered to her thin form and her sapphire eyes shone with amusement. Every part of her screamed complete happiness.
Tohru's face suddenly blurred as Kyo looked away, wiping his eyes on his sleeve. He picked through the other objects in the box There was some chocolate Tohru hade made one year for Valentines Day, a ticket stub for the haunted house Momiji had made them go to, along with a receipt for the head Haru broke inside. He also had a seashell from the sand castle he and Tohru had made, and one of Tohru's hair ribbons. The last three years of his life seemed to be in the box….
Kyo snapped the lid closed and threw the box across the wooden floor, where it slid to a halt a few feet away. He started angrily pulling pants out of his duffle bag, trying desperately to block the emotions coming at him. As he jerked the last pair, a slim metal case flew out of it and hit him hard in the head.
“Oww! What the hell?” He picked up the object, rubbing his forehead. He slid a fingernail into the crack and opened it. A folded piece of paper fell out onto his lap. The case was a double-sided picture frame. On one side, Tohru was standing in the woods with Kisa and a spastically happy Momiji. They were holding up nets and the rabbit was showing off a large, fat beetle. It was obviously taken at the beach house last summer. On the other side of the frame, Kyo realized with a jolt, was Tohru's picture of her mother. He stared at it a moment. `Why would Tohru give me this?' He wondered incredulously.
He set down the picture frame and picked up the paper. He opened it with trembling fingers and instantly recognized Tohru's neat hand writing.
 
Dear Kyo,
I'm not exactly sure what I'm suppose to say. Just saying “goodbye” sounds so wrong. I think I will see you again I hope will all my heart I will.
I thought maybe me and my mom could keep you company. To be honest, I didn't want to give her away, but I realized you need her more than I do.
Kyo, I wanted to tell you in person, face to face, but, I….I ran out of time. So I'll say it now. I love you Kyo. I've loved you since…..I can't remember when. I promise I will NEVER forget you. I don't think I could, even if I wanted to. I know we'll see each other again. So, goodbye, for now.
Love,
Tohru
 
Kyo let the note flutter to the ground as he buried his hands in his hair, groaning as the held back emotions swept through him. “She….she loves me?” He murmured to himself as tears stung at his crimson eyes. “Tohru loves me? Oh, Kami…..”
He flopped on his back in his cold, now dark, room…cage. He let himself slip into sorrow. Sorrow for being here, sorrow for never confessing his feelings to Tohru, Sorrow that he could never see her again. And anger. Anger at Akito.
Anger at being the most cursed of all.