Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Web of Dreams ❯ Chapter one ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Fruits Basket
Chapter one
Yuki Sohma walked into the lunchroom. He spotted Tohru sitting all be herself at a table, eating her lunch timidly. She kept glancing at another table, where the Yuki fanclub girls were laughing and pointing fingers at her. Suddenly, they all stood-up and went to sit with Tohru, talking quietly. Their backs were to Yuki, but he could see Tohru's face, tears brimming in her beautiful blue eyes.
A rush of anger swept over Yuki, he marched up to the table. "Excuse me, but Tohru, I believe I need some help with my project, would you please come over to my house tonight, so we can work on it together. I'd really like that."
Tohru looked-up at him, confused for a split-second, then understanding filled her face, "Oh, ummm, I'd love to help you Yuki, I'll just have to check with my grandfather, you could walk home with me, while I tell him, and then we'll go to your house. Oh by the way, how's Shigure doing? Last time I went over, he was still working on his book."
Yuki smiled, a loving smile at Tohru, which made the fanclub girls scream. As Yuki sat down, he noticed that there were still tears in her eyes. He leaned over to brush them from her cheeks. "Why are you crying miss Honda? Was it something I said?" He made as though he'd not seen the girls teasing her.
"Oh no Yuki! Nothing you could ever say, would make me cry. I was just thinking of my mother." She looked at the girls, who had their gazes affixated on Yuki, who was glaring at them.
He knew they were teasing her about her mother, "How cruel of you. How dare you make miss Honda feel inferior to you. How dare you." He spoke in calm tones, though his words were harsh.
Tohru's eyes brimmed again with tears, "No Yuki, it's okay, I don't mind. I love my mother and nothing they say can ever change that... You don't have to keep protecting me...I'll have to live one day without you always here..." she stood-up and covered her face, "Excuse me please, I think I have something in my eye..." she ran out of the lunchroom, past Hana and Uo, who quickly followed her.
Once Yuki had seen that she wasn't alone, he turned his glare back to the girls. "You have no idea how much your words just hurt her. I hope you know that everything that hurts her, hurts me too. She means more to me, than any of you could possibly ever mean to anyone. I will not let you forget this." Yuki stood with righteous rage, and left the girls crying behind him as he stormed out of the lunchroom.
He found Tohru in the company of her two girlfriends, along with Kyo, Momiji and Hatsuharu. They were all up on the roof, where no-one would hear her sobbing into Arisa's shirt. Uo looked up at Yuki as he nealt down in front of Tohru, "What was it that they were saying to you?"
Tohru just started to cry harder, "Yuki, I want to go home, please, just take me home." she managed through sobs.
He nodded, and took her by the hand, and led her home. It was all Yuki could to to keep from hugging, her, but he knew that once he did she would have to walk home with a rat.

Once they walked in the door, Shigure poked his head around to see who it was. When he saw Tohru crying, he was there immediately. "Oh Tohru, whatever is the matter? What did Yuki say to you?"
"Nothing Yuki said..." she just began to cry harder, and ran up to her room.
Yuki went to follow, but Shigure held him back. "What's all that about Yuki?" Yuki stopped. "Some girls at shcool were teasing her about... about her mother."
Shigure's hand went to his head, "Oh dear. That would have opened scars that had barely begun to heal, all her anguish over her mother's death will have been brought back to her, most likely much harder than before. You didn't do anything to the girls did you?" Shigure looked at Yuki's angry face.
"I only said things, that made them cry." He smiled wickedly, "I wanted to do much more than say things though..." he spoke quietly, more to himself than to Shigure, but he heard it none the less.
Shigure sighed, "I wonder if Hatori has a degree ih phsycology..." Shigure trudged off to give him a call.
Yuki, now left to his own devices, decided that he would go upstairs and comfort Tohru. He knocked on her door, and walked in. "Tohru, is everything alright?" He saw her lying on her bed, her face burried in her pillow.
Upon hearing his voice, she wiped her face and sat up. She turned to face him, and, she smiled. "You don't have to smile, if you don't feel like smiling. I know you're hurting inside, but it's alright, you can show me... I can help you." He sat down on the bed next to her.
At his words, she began sobbing uncontrolably into her hands. "I don't know what those girls said to you, but whatever they did say, it means nothing. You live here, with people who love you, and if they're jealous of you, they'll do anything to hurt you. I'm so sorry you had to be a part of this. I'm sorry that those girls were treating you so badly, and I know that it's only because of me that they're doing it. I'm sorry you had to know me." Yuki stopped talking, and looked-up into Tohru's big bright blue eyes, "But, now that you do know me, I'm never going to let you out of my sight, you hear? I'll always be there to protect you from everything. Because Tohru I lov-"
"TOHRU! Are you alright? Tohru!" Momiji cried as he ran through the door. Tohru was still staring into Yuki's eyes, her tears having been swallowed into her sleeves, which were now drenched.
Momiji ran upstairs, and pounced on Tohru, beaking her gaze with Yuki. A faint pouf was heard as Momiji turned into a rabbit. Kyo and Hatsuharu joined them shortly after, both quite out of breath.
"Tohru...are...you...okay?" Kyo manadged through deep breaths of air.
Tohru looked-up, tears of joy brimming anew in her eyes. "Kyo, Momiji, Hatsuharu...you didn't have to come..."
"I know, but we wanted to, we were worried about you, and...wanted to make sure you were okay..." Hatsuharu said, he sounded much less tired than Kyo was. Just as tears treamed down her face again, she was surrounded by quite a few 'poofs' as a cat, and a cow all joined in her bedroom.
Shigure, hearing all of this, decided it a good time to give Tohru some time to herself, and gathered all of the animals out of the room, along with their clothes. Yuki and Tohru were left alone, once again.
"Thank-you Yuki, you've made me so much more happy. I'm sorry for being so silly, it's just, I'd had a dream about her last night, and...they...they just...said all the wrong things...and, I was already feeling emotional." She'd stopped crying by now, and was almost back to her usual self.
"Tohru, just remember that from now on I'm going to be with you all the time. I'll stick to you like glue, because...seeing you so sad, makes me sad also. I want to make you as happy as possible... because I love y-"
"Miss Tohru, Yuki, how are we all doing this afternoon?" Hatori entered the room. Mr. phsycology walked-up to the bed, and looked at Yuki. Yuki, who was by now quite frustrated at the fact that every time he tried to proclaim his feelings for Tohru he got inturrupted by another member of the Sohma family, stood-up and let Hatori sit down. "Now Miss Honda, I hear that you were being teased about your mother."
At this, Tohru burst into tears again, Yuki, flashed an angry face in the direction of Hatori. "You had to go and mention her mother didn't you?" Tohru cried even harder, and went back to her pillow, all the progress lost.
"Now, now Miss Honda. Don't take what Yuki is saying as a means that I am trying to hurt you, just that, well...I understand that it was these girls that always give you a hard time, because you are affiliated with the Sohmas?" Hatori was saying,
Tohru's waterworks were beginning to slow slightly, she nodded her head "Uhhun..." She said quietly, her voice muffled by her pillow. "I'm sorry...I'm sorry for not being strong enough to d-deal with it on my own...I just..."
"Tohru, are we saying you're not strong? No we're not, what those girls did was very wrong, and Yuki here was correct in hurting them." At this Tohru sat-up.
Hatori flashed a smile at Yuki, to which he was quite taken aback "I didn't....hurt them physically..."
"Oh no Yuki, Princes don't hit....no, see we have here quite a master of what I like to call, mental torture. See these girls are obsessed enough with their Prince, that what he said to them, could lead to the utter annihilation oh their feelings, actually, that was quite a good plan Yuki, only it will make things worse for Tohru...or perhaps you didn't realize how persistent girls are, especially crazy fanclub girls. See, when you go to school tomorrow, you will most likely find that the whole school will have turned on you, Tohru. Yuki, you will not be able to do anything about it...but then again, I may be wrong...we'll just have to wait and see...won't we?" and with that, Hatori left the room.
Tohru's tears stopped for good. "Wow, that was the strangest talk i've ever had in my entire life...now I want to go to school tomorrow, just to see if what he said is true...that's weird." Tohru said to Yuki, she laughed, all thoughts of her previous afternoon forgotten, and eagerly awaiting school the next day.
Hatori stayed the night, to make sure that everything was still alright in the morning, but he didn't think that Tohru would be that hard of a person to cheer-up. She was a generally happy, positive person to begin with, so when she smiled, and waved good-bye with her cheery smile in the morning, he wasn't surprised.
"Wow Tori, you really are a miracle worker."
"No, I just had to inspire some independance in her. Yuki ruined it all by saying that he was going to be by her side all day like glue, making her feel comforted, but also like a little kid again, I gave her confidence to see what a new day will bring. Kanna told me that once, and Tohru is a lot like she was..."
" Now Hatori, she's much much too young for you, why don't you let Yuki and Kyo have her. She'd be much better suited to them, than to you." Hatori shook his head.