Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Different ❯ Different ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Happy Birthday Maris!
 
 
Different
 
 
Ed lay, staring at the ceiling, listening to the shower run in the background. His body was wrapped in a tan, down blanket and his head rested on a feather pillow. The bed he was laying on was large and soft, though firm enough that he didn't feel like he was sinking into it. He moved his hand over and felt the bed next to him. It was warm, the heat from Roy's body still there.
 
His gaze wandered around the room. The walls in Roy's bedroom were painted in shades of brown, and the oak furniture in the room worked well to create a balance of color that made Ed feel contentedly warm. There were bookshelves filled with books and a comfortable chair was placed in the corner with a lamp behind it for reading.
 
Despite how at ease it all made him feel, Ed couldn't help the slight discomfort that filled him every time he came here. It was as if this were all a lie. It wasn't the same, no matter how much he wanted it to be, it wasn't.
 
It was different.
 
Ed sighed and threw the covers off himself before getting out of bed. Reaching down, he picked up his trousers and stuffed his legs into them, then buttoned them before putting on his shirt. Looking around again, Ed smiled softly.
 
He glanced at the books, then to the medals bravely won in battle and proudly displayed, he glanced at the pictures that hung on the wall of family members and friends Ed had never met. Roy loved books. He loved being in charge and would do almost anything to climb the ranks. He loved his country and maybe, just maybe, he even loved Ed.
 
Ed smirked a little at that thought and picked up his long overcoat. Yes, maybe he even loved Roy back. It was possible... Glancing around on the floor, Ed searched for the small hair tie he'd worn in his hair before it had been tossed aside in the heat of passion. Finding it, he picked it up and put his hair up in a pony tail.
 
He was about to take off, when the door to the bathroom, that was connected to the bedroom, opened and Roy walked out with a towel around his waist.
 
“Leaving so soon?” the older man asked with a frown.
 
“Yeah... I need to get back to my brother.”
 
Roy nodded, reached over, and planted a kiss on Ed's lips. “When will I see you next?” It was a perfectly reasonable question, given that he and Al were constantly on the move, and frankly, sometimes it was just too painful to come back here, despite the fact that he craved it so much.
 
“I don't know...” It was the truth. He didn't know. He didn't know anything anymore...
 
Roy nodded as if he understood, but Ed doubted he did. Stepping away from the doorway, Roy moved across the room to get dressed leaving Ed a clear view of himself in the slowly de-fogging mirror.
 
He was a little taller than he had been a few years ago, and the brown slacks, white shirt, and brown overcoat of this world fit him very well. Even the pony tail looked rather stylish on him now that he was in his twenties. In a self-conscious gesture, Ed ran a hand down his clothing, then sighed as his eyes fixed on Roy's reflection in the mirror.
 
It was all so similar... But there was a very clear distinction between what he'd had before, and what he had now. With one last wave, Ed let himself out Roy's room. For a little while he could fool himself into thinking it was the same, but the truth of it was that everything was different now and that was something that would never change.
 
--
 
Please Review!