Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ The Spirit of Alchemy ❯ The Small Beginnings ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I do not own any of the FMA characters. If I did, they'd be the ones writing the fanfic, and.. Well, it wouldn't be much of a fanfic, would it? I do, however, own Michi Machiko. You steal her and die. References to her are okay, as long as you mention that Michi Machiko is my character. If you really want to have her that badly, 1) you're crazy, and 2) e-mail me, and explain why, and maybe, maybe I'll let you. Okay? Read on! (Or don't, if you don't think it's interesting, it doesn't really matter to me.)




---------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------




" No.. No!" a young girl muttered to herself. "This isn't what I need!" The raven-haired girl continued to mutter. Carefully, she looked around for the last ingredient. "Ah," she said, picking up the knife. Deftly, she cut the top of her finger, dripping blood onto the pile of... something... below. She smiled to herself. "Human Transmutation...." she said, placing her hands on the outer edge of the circle, "...can be done."

A light began to grow from the pile in the center, and the contents began to shift around, and change. The girl's uncertain expression of concentration changed to a triumphant grin.....

....And then faded into a look of horror. In an instant, her body started breaking apart. She screamed, but there was no one to hear her.

As her body finished breaking apart, she felt herself fading. Her eyes shut, and she made a quick apology to her mother and father with the last of her consciousness. 'Mother... Father... I'm sorry... I'm sorry I couldn't bring you back...' Then the world went black.

When she awoke, she found herself on the floor, curled up. Blearily blinking, she sat up. "Wha... What happened?" she muttered, looking around. "Am I... dead..? I seem okay..."

She stood up, and went to examine the circle's center. Walking forward, she noticed too late that the knife was where she was about to put her foot down. She tried to catch herself, but...

"OW!!!" she yelled. But it was only an automatic reaction. Her foot... Well, it had gone through the knife. "What the...?" she whispered, her skin turning pale. Then, realizing what it meant, she screamed.



"AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'M A GHOSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!"

~................................... ........................................................................... ........................................................................... .....................................................~


Michi Machiko, aged 14, sat up. 'I hate that dream...' she thought. It had haunted her ever since she was eight. She thought about it. Maybe it would be better to be a ghost, actually. Like her dream, no one would be able to see or touch her. She could be left alone, and not worry about people staring at her, or thinking that she was a freak of nature. She wouldn't have to worry about the whispering behind her back, like she did now.

She knew why in her dream, she had become a ghost. She had felt invisible most of her life. Even though her parents loved her, the townspeople regarded her as an oddity of nature, one that could contaminate them. They had stayed away from her as much as possible. After her parent's deaths, she was ignored completely. No sympathy, nothing. Strangely enough, she'd hatred the feeling of being ignored, almost as much as she hated the feeling of being talked about... The feeling she had now. Ironically enough, Michi noted bitterly, in either situation, she'd want the other one. When she was alone, she wanted company, and now, when she had people paying attention to her, she wanted to be alone. Although, it was understandable, considering the attention was only scared whispers behind her back.

'Well, the grass is always greener,' she thought, a sarcastic smile on her lips. The reason she was so famous was mostly because of human transmutation. Nothing had happened to her when she tried to transmutate her parents. It had failed, but she was fine. Her transmutation, and the fact that things just didn't hurt her, were the things that put her right up there in fame with the Full Metal Alchemist, himself. Well -- that, and her father. Although she had fame, it did not come without a price...

The attention she got was only the mutterings of people afraid of her. They called someone who defied the laws of nature. Someone who was an exception to the laws, when they had no right to be. In short, she was a freak. And, people didn't really talk to freaks.

Not that it mattered to her anyway. In a few short hours, she'd be out of that place for good. And no one, nothing was going to stop her.

~............................................................ ........................................................................... ........................................................................... ............................~

An hour later, at 5:00 AM, Michi awoke. She had no alarm, nor did she need one. She was very good at waking up exactly when she wanted to, not a minute earlier, or later. She wasn't going to bother to pack, or even change her clothes. What she had was good enough. It would have to be, because she couldn't take anything with her.

Walking down the hallway for the last time, she saw a photograph, and smiled a sad smile. "No," she muttered sadly to herself. "I can't take even that." Quietly, she turned and walked outside. No one ever saw her come or leave, yet they knew she must. For a cold, cruel, second, she thought maybe they hoped she'd die. After all, her father had the most land in this, or any other town around here. They may have wanted it for themselves. There was little they could do, though, for her father had been well-respected, and his wish would be carried out.

'My house belongs to my daughter.... Until she decides to leave it forever...' Michi shuddered, recalling his last words. Well, she was leaving it now. And for all those fools in the village knew, she'd still be there. It's not like she'd ever been checked on, in six years. Still... She wasn't about to let them get their filthy hands on her father's last possession. She'd left a warning on the house, using alchemy. Big, red letters covered the highest windows, with four words: "I'll be back again". Smiling to herself, Michi walked down the path, into the sunrise, heading towards the train station.

~........................................................ ........................................................................... ........................................................................... ................................~

Michi stood on the platform, waiting for the train to arrive. Looking around, she saw the smoke trail that signified that the train was coming. She smiled to herself, and moved back. She didn't want to be jostled around the platform, struggling to get a seat, when everyone there would be seated anyway.

The train stopped completely, the doors opened, and people began stepping out onto the platform. A figure headed towards the direction that Michi was standing. She looked at him, then quickly looked away. She couldn't make herself keep eye contact with anyone for more than a few seconds.

The person walked by. She breathed a sigh of relief. Another person was headed her way, looking directly at her. 'Geez, what is it with me and strangers today?' she thought, irritatedly.

The man... No, boy... stopped when he came to her. "Hey," he said, moving his long blonde hair out of his way, gesturing to someone-or-another behind him -- It was too crowded on the platform to see who, exactly. "Can you tell us how to get someplace?"

Michi nodded, relieved. She didn't like talking to strangers, but directions were fine. "Sure," she said, smiling politely, and avoiding eye contact. "Where's the place you're trying to get to?"

"Could you tell us how to get to the Machiko mansion?"

---------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------------------

A.N: Wheeee, Hiya! Okay, this is my first story about FMA, meaning.... I'm probably off on personalities a bit. Anyway, I have more than this chapter written, but right now.. I'm sorta on vacation camping, and only home for a few hours. Tell me what you think of this so far, even though it's not really enough to make a judgement on, is it? Oh well. Rate & review if you want, but it's only chappy one, so, may want to hold off on that for a while. Anywho, I'll put up a few chapters regardless of reviews -- this is being written mostly to show my friend Makii (who has an AWESOME FMA fanfic called 'Emmaline Matthews', go read it now! XD Link: http://www.mediaminer.org/fanfic/view_st.php?id=107550&submit=View )