Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ The Spirit of Alchemy ❯ Michi's Secret.. Revealed?! Part II - The Key, The Alchemist, and The Past ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]






As Michi lay unconscious, the two worlds swirled around her. Edward and Alphonse Elric both were looking at her concernedly. She was both laying in a hospital bed, and in Ed's arms at the same time. Al reached towards her with his bare hand, yet at the same time, it was his cold metal armor that reached out to her. Both worlds swirled around her, and into eachother, mixing them up completely. Then, they stopped, and vanished out of existance altogether.

Michi lay floating, face up, as if in a pool of water. Her white dress, and black hair blowing in a nonexistant wind. All around her was blackness. Not that she could see it, with her eyes shut, her mind blocked off from everyone and everything. She clenched her eyes tightly as different memories swirled around her. The memories of when she'd met Ed and Al at her mansion, after it had burned down and she rebuilt it. She was alone then.

Then, the memories of meeting them for the first time just now. She and Ed were to be married. Her father was alive. None of them really had worries. That place was so much better......

But that's not the truth. Michi opened her eyes wide, the area around her reacting to form a bright white light explosion, going off the same moment her eyes opened. The thought had occurred to her so quickly, she wondered if it was even she who thought of it. Maybe someone else was here....

No, she'd rather not think about that. If someone else was here, that meant she couldn't see them. And if she couldn't see them, they could harm her. If they could harm her, she'd.. Well, be hurt, not on the top of her list of things she'd like to do. Anyway, she decided that there was no one there but her.

As she lay there floating, she began to piece the different memories together. Her eyes were open, and she could move them, but nothing else would move. Her hair and nightgown blew around, as if she was falling, yet she felt no wind, no sense of falling. It was just blank emptiness -- the white light that had suddenly occurred had faded, and with it, her thoughts of what the 'truth' was.

Calmly, she surveyed her situation. She was stuck. She couldn't move. When she thought the memory of meeting Ed and Al today was false, the white light appeared.. So what happened if she believed it was true? It was the one she wanted to believe, after all.

As she believed that, the area around her turned even darker, and threatened to swallow her up. Quickly, she changed her mind again, and the darkness went back to neutral. Clearly, she couldn't believe it, or else she'd be swallowed up by the darkness; a thought that frightened her a great deal. There's no way she wanted to end up in that darkness, so she wouldn't believe it. Even if it was true, there was nothing that'd make her believe it, if it meant going into the darkness.

While she was thinking that, the darkness started taking over again. Quickly, she changed her thinking so she wasn't thinking either one was true. Sighing slightly in relief as the darkness faded, she pondered what it was she had to do to get out. Slowly, she came to the conclusion that she had absolutely no clue how she was going to escape. A sense of hopelessness fell over her. The dark light came back, and she flinched.

She blinked. Evidently, the black light wasn't going to get her if she wanted to find the truth of the situation. Oh, but she didn't care what the truth was! She just wanted to get out! She'd believe anything, just to get herself out!!

Gasping, she saw the black light envelop her vision, so she could no longer see anything. Clenching her eyes shut again, she tried to change her course of her thoughts, but couldn't. Then, a light penetrated her eyes. She opened one, wishing she could move her arms, just so she could shield her eyes from the light. She saw the key, still on it's string, floating around her neck. It was shining in the darkness, clearing it away.

'Be strong.... Sometimes, to find the truth, the reality, you must plunge through the darkness, and resurface into the light. Only the truth lies on the other side.'

Michi blinked. The darkness was gone, and she could move. Slowly, she ended up in an upright position, her nightgown, hair, and the key all blowing as before. She couldn't feel ground beneath her, and felt somewhat as if she were flying. She thought briefly that she'd enjoy it far more if she wasn't so frightened.

Looking at the key, she smiled slightly. 'Plunge through the darkness, huh? Alright then..' She closed her eyes, and focused on wanting to go back to the place she'd just left. The darkness gathered more quickly this time, engulfing her completely. Only, this time, the key wasn't glowing. Michi still felt scared, but knew she would be alright. 'We'll see just what this 'truth' is..' she thought, as the darkness took her over.

------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------------------------------

"Michi..? Michi?? Michi!!" a voice called out to her. Wincing slightly at suddenly being thrust into consciousness, she realized she was just that -- conscious. She didn't know into which reality she'd been thrust into, but whichever one it was, she knew she'd find the truth... Only...... It was already starting to slip away from her. 'No, I have to remember. If not, I may never get out of the fake reality..'

Opening one eye, she looked up to see Edward. He wasn't wearing his jacket, and was holding her up. Realizing the former fact, she blushed deeply. Then, she noticed Al, and she felt both elated and disappointed at once. She was in the reality she wanted to be in, all right, but at the same time, she was hoping that the blackness would make it easy for her, and have put her in the one she really wanted to be in. Oh well, she'd have to make do with what she got.

"Michi?? Are you alright?!" Ed was holding her, and helped her sit up. The look in his eyes was genuine concern...... Much more concern than he'd normally give, Michi reminded herself, so she'd remember reality vs. non-reality.

"Y-yeah.. I think so.."

"Michi, you need rest now. Obviously being up has been too strenuous on your body. Edward, could you please take her to her room?" Michi's father said, in an authorative voice. Michi felt a pang. By giving up this world as being false, she would be giving up not only on Edward and Al, but on her father too. But unlike Ed and Al, who'd still be there, her father would be gone...

Before she could question herself more, she saw a small glint of gold while standing up. It was the key. She felt determination rise through her. She knew what she had to do. She had to find out which world was right.

As she and Edward walked, he turned to her suddenly. "Michi?"

"H-huh?" she asked, looking at him. She couldn't force herself to keep eye contact with anyone for longer than a few seconds, and this.. This was worse. There was just something about him that made it impossible for her to look at him without turning red.

"I know we just met and all.... But..... I'm glad we're engaged. I heard a lot about you from your father, and you're even more beautiful than he said. Michi....... I love you."

Michi gasped. Whatever she had expected him to say; it wasn't that. She could feel her heart sinking, her resolve growing weaker. Maybe this place wasn't so bad...

The key shone again, bringing Michi back to reality. She continued walking, away from Edward who was watching, a hurt expression on his face -- not that she could see it. Michi said something quietly, something so quiet, Ed couldn't hear it. Hoping, he dared to ask, "What did you say, Michi?"

"I said..'You're not real.'

He gasped. “W-what? I’m real! We could stay here! Everything’s okay here! There’s no need to find the stone, and there’s no reason for you to leave, your father’s here!!”

She shook her head slowly. “No, no matter how many good points you have about this place, the fact is; it’s not real. You’re not the real Ed. He’s not my real father. I’m not even the real me. No, I couldn’t stay here..”

Edward reached out for her, but before he could reach to her, he glowed white, and cracks appeared along his body, dissolving upwards into the air, until there was nothing left.

Michi sunk to the floor, tears rolling down her cheeks. “That.. Just might’ve been the only time it’d be so easy to win Ed’s love.. Darn, what was I thinking?” she gave a small, sad, chuckle, as the world around her began to disappear in the same manner as Edward had. “Is the truth really worth sacrificing my happiness?” The glint of the small metal key was the only answer she needed.

------------------------------------------------------------ -----------------------------------

As Michi lay in the darkness once again, tears streaming down her cheeks, she knew she’d made the right choice. That other world was just an illusion, made by her mind. An escape, where she’d be happy, because she knew, once she woke up for real, there’d be hell to pay. Definately, once Edward found out her secret....... The doctors, no doubt had discovered it already. She’d be amazed if they hadn’t.

Floating there, Michi discovered she had nothing to do but wait. Wait, wait until her body was well enough to wake her up. Well enough for her to face the hell that waited for her. Damn, she’d better start working up the courage and willpower to face it all now, or who knows what kind of horrors her mind would cook up for her next?




Fortunately, she discovered that she didn’t have to wait terribly long. Soon; before she knew it, she saw the white light envelop her, and knew she was returning to her true consciousness.

------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------------------------

Slowly, she opened her eyes. The room was empty, except for Ed sitting on a chair nearby. He seemed to be asleep, his head down. Michi slowly sat up, propping herself up with one arm. She was surprised to find that she had a bandage tied neatly across her wound. Somehow, the doctors had missed her secret...?? She dared to hope..

Until a voice rang out.

“So, how long was it gonna be before you told us?”

She cringed. She felt guilty, like maybe she should’ve told them sooner. However.. She had to make sure that he and she were walking about the same thing.

“Before I told you what..?”

“Don’t play stupid. Before you told us your secret, of course.” Ed still hadn’t looked up. His voice was cold, it alone made Michi shiver, although the hospital gown might’ve had something to do with it. Her secret..? Well, that wasn’t very specific. She had a lot of them.

“What do you mean..?”

“I MEAN THE DAMN FACT THAT YOU SHOULD BE DEAD! You have no blood in your body, Michi. You know that. Why the heck didn’t you tell us, and made us get all worried about you for nothing?!?”

Michi blinked. No blood? ...What? -- Oh! So he thought he knew her secret.....

“Were you really that worried about me?” Michi asked quietly.

“Of course I was, you idiot!!” Ed yelled, making Michi cringe yet again. “If I didn’t, would I have brought you to a hospital?!? Would I have stuck with you?!? You told me all I need to know, technically, there’s no reason for me to stick with you, but I still do! Why the hell do you think I do that?”

Michi blinked, then smiled. “Edward.... Thanks.”

Ed blinked. He hadn’t expected that. “Thanks? What the hell? I yell at you, and you thank me?”

Then the fact that she’d called him ‘Edward’ sunk in.

“W-wait. ‘Edward’? I never said my name was Edward. I said it was Ed. How the hell..?”

She shrugged. “I just knew it. Sorry, long story. Anyway, the fact that I have no blood.. Why would telling you have made you worry any less? Plus, isn’t it my business if I want to tell someone I just met? It’s not like you guys don’t have secrets either. I know you do, so don’t pretend you don’t.”

Ed looked surprised for a moment. “Yeah, true. I guess we all have secrets we keep for a while.”

“Yeah. I’ll tell you once you tell me yours -- if I trust you by then.”

“Whaddya mean? You don’t trust me now?”

“No, I don’t, to be honest. I’m sorry, it’s just an issue I have. I don’t trust strangers. Just a weird way of living, huh?” Michi asked, her voice dripping with sarcasm.

Ed rolled his eyes. “Oh shut up.”

Michi yawned slightly, and stretched. She stood up.

“Hey, the doctors said you shouldn’t be up and moving for a few days, Michi!”

“So? Since when did they know everything?” she asked. “Now, leave, I’m changing into my clothes.”

Ed left quickly, and Michi walked over to her suitcase that was lying next to the hospital bed. Opening it, she pulled out a dark purple T-shirt with a hood, a dark crimson skirt, and darker maroon boots. The skirt had green plaid designs on it, so faint it was hard to notice at first. This was her favorite outfit. Smiling, she pulled it on, removing that awful hospital gown with a shudder. She hated hospital gowns. She hated hospitals. She just hated anything to do with health, to be honest.

After she finished changing, she closed her suitcase, and walked out of the hospital room. Ed was waiting outside, leaning against a wall. Al was there too, in his armor. Both of them glanced at her, but neither spoke. Evidently, it’d be up to her to speak first.

“...Hi.”

“Hello.” “Yo.”

“.............U-uh..” Michi stuttered, at a loss for what to say next. She was horrible with conversations. She had no clue what to say, so just stood there until one of them said something.

Fortunately, she didn’t have to wait long.

“You alright, Michi?”

“Yeah, I’m fine. Thanks for asking, Al.” She smiled at him.

Ed looked at her. “Good, because we have a long journey to walk, since you made us miss our stop, which led to us being attacked by Rascal Virgin Lady Whatever-the-hell-her-name-is, which led to you being in the hospital in the first place.”

She glared. “Hey, how was I supposed to know all that would happen??”

Ed blinked. “Wow, you’ve changed already, and it’s only been what, a few days?”

“..H-huh?”

“Well, before, you cried when I yelled. Now, you glare and reply with a witty (or not so witty depending) remark, or sarcasm.”

“Hey, I got used to you. I know your limits in conversations; what to push, and what not to.”

“Yeah yeah. Anyway, this is the next town from that one our stop was at. Meaning, we still have a long walk, and the sun’s already going down.” Ed pointed out a window. Michi turned, and saw the orange-ish red color of a sunset.

“Whoa. I wanna see it!!” Michi said, running out the hospital door, a nurse shouting after her, “Miss!! You can’t run here -- Miss!!”

Ed and Al just watched. Ed sighed, and shook his head good-naturedly.

“So, why’s she coming along again?” Ed asked.

“She can help us, Brother,” Al replied. “Plus, she’s so innocent, and happy. It’s a nice change. And it’s helping you, too, Ed.”

“Huh?”

“Nothing, nothing.” Al said, walking out of the hospital door, Ed running after him, shouting.

------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------------------------------

Standing on top of a hill, overlooking the town, Michi smiled. She shut her eyes, feeling the breeze through her hair. Well, almost feeling it..

“Hey, do you think maybe we shoulda told the hospital you’d checked out?” Ed asked, looking at her.

She shrugged, not wanting to think about anything that’d ruin this beautiful peaceful moment. “Probably.”

“Y-you mean you guys just left without telling them?? They’ll be after her, thinking she was kidnapped, or something!!” Al said shrilly.

“Don’t worry Al, I left a note on the bed. They know I’m not there anymore.”

“What if they don’t see it?”

“I left another note on the main office’s desk.”

“What if they don’t see that, either?”

“I signed myself out.”

“What if your signature gets erased?”

“Al, you worry too much. Stop it.”

“Okay, but still.. If they chase after us, saying we kidnapped you, you’re explaining.”

Ed watched the two of them, and laughed slightly.

“What’s so funny?” Michi asked.

“Nothing. It’s just that the two of you are like siblings.”

Michi and Al blinked. “Really?” she asked.

“Yeah,” Ed said nodding in agreement with himself.

“Siblings, huh? How would that work out?”

“I guess the only way it could would be if your parents married one of mine, or if you and I got married,” Ed said.

Michi blinked, remembering her ‘dream’.

“Hey, Ed?” she asked, sitting down against the tree. She stared out into the sunset. This town was so peaceful.. She’d be sad to leave it, but they’d have to get going soon.. If not tonight, then tomorrow.

“Yeah?”

“Did you know that your mother was my cousin?”

“Wh--What?!?” Ed asked, staring at her.

“How do you know?!” Al asked, his eyes wide -- or they would be, could he make them any wider.

“Uh.. Psychic intuition..” She said, embarrassed. “Technically, I had a ‘dream’ about it.. If you want to call it that.”

“..Are you sure?? What was our mother’s name in your dream?”

“Tricia. That’s her name, right?”

“Y-yes! How..?” Ed asked.

“Psychic, remember?” Michi said.

“So.. What’s that make us?”

“We’re second cousins.” Al answered. “We’re related to eachother..?”

“Yeah, apparently.”

“Well, there goes the marriage idea. Guess we’ll have to be content with being second cousins.” Ed said, jokingly.

“Actually, it’s possible for second cousins to marry, but I’m content with just staying second cousins. I’d rather not have a cousin-husband and a cousin-brother, thanks.”

Ed stared at her. “What makes you think I’d wanna marry you anyway?!”

“Well, what makes you think I’d wanna marry you? Huh?”

To Michi’s surprise, Ed looked away. “N-nothing would. We don’t even really know eachother, anyway. But still, if you wanted to be a sister to Al, you’d have to, unless I adopted you as my sister. Which is possible, by the way.”

“Mm...” Michi said, pretending to think about it. “Nah. I’d rather not be your brother, Ed. It limits my possibilites.” she said, laughing.

Ed fell over. “Do you do that to me on purpose?!”

“Huh? Do what?” Michi asked, completely clueless.

“....Nevermind. You don’t get it.”

“No, tell me!!”

“No! You don’t get it! Some day when you’re older, less naive, and smarter, I’ll tell you.”

“Hey!! I’m not naive, and I’m smart! Tell me!”

“No!”

“Yes!!”

“NO!”

“YESS!!”

------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------------------------------

Michi woke up, yawning. She was laying down. She didn’t remember laying down ever. She felt very warm, and content. They had all talked last night about being second cousins, and other things. Michi and Ed had been fighting, and Ed, for some reason, had turned red a few times. Michi didn’t understand it, but they all were having fun. Now, it was morning, and Michi was awake. Too awake. The sun wasn’t even fully up yet. Oh well, she’d always been an early riser.

Looking around, she tried to figure out how she’d fallen asleep to begin with. She noticed her head was on something warm. Looking up, she noticed Ed was leaning against the tree, her head in his lap. She had his jacket over her, in a way so that both she and Ed were covered. She turned a shade of red that would’ve made said coat envious, if it could notice her. She felt another twinge inside of her, and looked at him. ‘What is it about you, Ed, that makes me feel like this?’

Blinking, she noticed Ed stirring. He was waking up. Like her, he was a light sleeper. She clenched her eyes shut tightly, then relaxed them, to make her fake sleeping more realistic. Slowly, Ed woke up. He looked down at her, and through slits in her eyes, Michi could see him turning red. Then, he smiled. Slowly, he moved so that he wouldn’t wake her up, but he could move out from under her. She helped slightly, not wanting to admit to him that she was awake, and made it easier for him to move.

Al was up already, apparently -- if he even slept. Michi wasn’t sure, and couldn’t ask, since technically, she wasn’t supposed to know that there was no person in the armor, just armor itself. Ed went over to him, and began talking quietly to him. Michi had to strain just to hear parts of the conversation.

“What do you think of her?” Al asked.

“She’s okay. A brat though. Also, she seems to like sleeping on people.”

“Hey, you didn’t look like it was horrible, you know, Brother.”

“Hey! What’re you saying Al?!”

“Nothing, nothing.” he said, waving his arms at his big brother, trying to keep him quiet so he didn’t wake Michi up.

Al was amused with the whole situation. He could tell that Michi liked his brother, and his brother obviously liked her too. As the outsider, he thought it was painfully obvious, however both his brother and Michi seemed to miss it. However, in their sleep, they must’ve known it, because neither of them started out the way they woke up. He laughed quietly to himself, but at the same time, felt a twinge -- not that different from Michi’s, however, it was sad. Somehow, he was able to feel a twinge, even though he was just an armor suit. Pushing the thought out of his mind, he turned back to his brother, who was looking annoyed.

“Yeah, she’s not that bad, I suppose,” Ed was saying, talking as if he hadn’t stopped -- which he probably hadn’t, Al realized. After all, Al hadn’t been paying attention anyway.

“-- She sleeps a lot though.” Ed said, just as Michi came up behind him.

“Talking about me?” she asked, leaning in real close towards his ear.

Ed jumped about a mile before he came back down.

Michi giggled slightly. “Sorry, didn’t think you’d jump that high. Anyway, are we ready to go?”

Ed shook his head, still breathing heavily. “You’re lucky I didn’t attack you before that.”

“Yeah, yeah. You were too scared to do that.” she said, smiling and laughing.

“Oh yeah? Try it again sometime, but don’t blame me if you end up in the hospital.”

“You guys, stop!” Al said.

Yep, it was definately the start to another normal day with the Elrics.

------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------------------------------

AN: Hey guys. This is by far the longest chapter I’ve ever written. Originally, it wasn’t going to include the tree and sunset, but I thought it was a nice addition. However, it’s mostly too much dialogue, so.. blech. I don’t actually like the part from when they wake up on, but.. I have nothing better to put in.

In case you missed it, Al has feelings for either his brother, or Michi (I haven’t said or indicated which one yet, so use your imaginations!). We’ll see how that works out...

Anyway, it’s 3:00 AM now, I started writing this chapter at 1:40 AM -- a little before, actually. So yeah, lots of time put into this one.

Sorry it’s junk, but I’m tired, and.. Meh. I’ll try to update more often, but.. Really, school’s killing me. XD

This chapter’s for Makii, who’s been supporting me all the way, and even put my fanfic title into her story chapter so people could see it. :3 Thanks Makii.


Next time: I Have a Confession