Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Whisper in the Wind ❯ Golden Locket ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
"Hey, Pinako. We're home." said Edward not even bothering to look.

"Granny Pinako isn't here. She went to the market." Winry Rockbell stood in the doorway before Edward and Kate, both with heavy school bags.

"Welcome home brother, Kate." said Alphonse nodding to them both when he took their bags. He wasn't able to go to school because of his suit of armor, so he stayed with Pinako to help her run the shop.

"Let's go to the room. We'll do our homework on my bed, so we can help eachother." Edward ran his fingers across Kate's arm as he walked by.

Kate felt her heart rise to her throat. She had never done her homework with Edward on his bed. She smiled and left for his room.

Edward rubbed the fingers he touched Kate with together and ran them down his face. Huh?..... What the heck am I doing? Edward looked back at Kate, who was following him to his room. Kate caught his eye, and smiled shyly at him. Edward smiled back, feeling embarassed. He looked back up ahead. Ah, I wonder if I'm starting to llll...... Edward swallowed. Love her... Oh, I do... How can I admit it, though? She probably thinks I'm a total geek... or a wierdo... Edward sighed silently. I'll tell her... when I'm ready...

Kate wondered what Edward was thinking. He kept looking back at her constantly. They finally reached Edward's room, and went inside. Edward stretched out on his bed and Kate sat beside of him. "Okay, I need help on this stupid math... It makes no sense what so ever."

Edward really wasn't listening. He was too busy smiling warmly at Kate, looking dreamily into her eyes.

"Hey, are you even listening?"

"Uhh!" Edward's eyes grew wide in shock. "Yeah. Science you said?"

Kate sighed. "No, Ed. I said math."

"Okay. Lemme see it." Edward took the text book from Kate as he sat up. "WHA?! Geez! Whaddo these teachers expect us to know?!"

Kate chuckled. "Loads of stuff." Kate's smirk turned into a warm smile. She put her hand on Edward's leg and started to rub it. She just couldn't help herself.

Edward looked down at Kate's hand. No anger. No rage. No confusion. No words. Just silence.

Kate looked at Edward and caught his eye. She gasped silently thinking he would get upset, but his eyes showed warmness. "I'm sorry..." she said silently.

Edward's heart suddenly turned warm. He put his hand on her's and stroked it gently. "It's alright. I don't mind."

Edward's warm smile lightened Kate's heart. "I... have something...to tell you, Ed..."

"What is it?" Edward leaned closer to Kate

Kate leaned closer to Edward. "I..." Kate moved her face closer to his and formed her lips into an O. All of a sudden, Rex, Winry's dog, barks noisily, scaring Kate and making her jump.

"Rex! Go away!" yelled Edward.

Rex made a small whimper, tucked his tail and went away.

"Now, what were you saying?" said Edward leaning closer to Kate, with his nose almost touching hers.

Kate leaned into Edward and set her head on his shoulder. "I love you. It may sound kinda stupid, but I do. You probably don't love me though. I'm sorry. Just give me time to stay like this a little bit. Please, Ed." Kate wraped her arms around him tightly.

"Who said I didn't love you, Kate?"

"I can tell by the look in your eyes... wait... you do?"

Edward smiled. "I have since I became a State Alchemist." Edward wrapped his arms around her waist and pressed their bodies closer. "I love you, Kate. And I always will. Remember that." Edward handed Kate a golden locket necklace.

Kate opened the heart-shaped locket, and found a picture of Edward and Kate. Both separate pictures. on the back, it says, Kate, I'll always love you. Here's my gift to you. Kate was speechless.

"Do you like it?"

"Oh, Ed. When did you get this done? I love it."

"Last year. Thanks." Edward curled Kate's fingers over the locket and put her hand in both of his. "I want you to keep this, okay?"

Kate rested her head in Edward's chest. "I will... Forever..."