Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Yesterday: Maes and Glacier ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Full Metal Alchemist
 
Three different couples. Three different stories. One identical purpose.
 
_________________________________________________________________ _______
 
Central City, Amestris
Summer, 1909
 
“Do it.”
 
“No.”
 
“I said do it!”
 
“No!” Maes Hughes glared at Roy Mustang in annoyance. Did he really want to get hurt? Or did he underestimate him?
 
They were standing several yards apart in a park not far from Central Headquarters. People passing by glanced at the young men with mild interest. They thought the men were doing some sort of physical training. After all, they were wearing their soldier uniforms.
 
“Come on, Maes. Just throw one of your thumb tacks at me.”
 
Maes' eyes narrowed. “They're daggers.” Maybe he would throw one at him. “You're not even armed.”
 
“Idiot. If anyone should know about concealed weapons, it should be you.”
 
Maes crossed his arms, leaned against a tree and yawned. “Your childish whims bore me. Stop this nonsense so I can fly my kite.”
 
“Hurry up and throw one! Don't make me be a bastard,” Roy warned.
 
Maes grinned evilly. “Nobody can ever make you one `cause you were born a bastard.”
 
Roy simply smirked. “Glacier is a bitch.”
 
If one blinked, one would have missed Maes Hughes throwing a dagger with incredible force and speed, then the dagger combusting in midair just before it reached its target. Maes stared unbelievingly where the weapon turned into flames. Roy grinned cockily.
 
“What happened?” Maes asked, still stunned.
 
“Alchemy,” the black-eyed soldier answered. He shoved his hands in his pockets and walked to his friend.
 
“So you finally learned it, huh?”
 
“I didn't just learn it,” Roy pulled out a silver pocket watch. “I mastered it.”
 
Maes rushed to his side to look at the new adornment. “You became a State Alchemist? I thought you were going to wait until next year to take the test.”
 
“I thought so too, until yesterday.”
 
“But the test was today. How did you possibly pass? People study for weeks before they take that test.”
 
Roy cocked a brow. “Hughes.”
 
Maes' shoulders sagged. “Oh yeah. I forgot who I was talking to.”
 
Roy Mustang had the amazing gift (or terrible habit) to wait until the very last minute to get something done; and without fail, it was always done.
 
“So how'd you do it?”
 
“Do what?”
 
“The transmutation. You didn't draw the circle.”
 
“Ah.” Roy pulled his hands out of his pockets. He was wearing white gloves with red transmutation circles on the back. “These gloves are made out of a special ignitable material. All I have to do is rub my fingers together and . . . snap.” He snapped his fingers. Suddenly Maes was swatting at his smoking hair and yelling a creative series of expletives at Roy. Roy was laughing hysterically when Maes caught him off guard and tackled him. The two friends brawled in the grass as they used to during their childhood days. As always, Maes came out to be the victor. Battered, bruised, and thoroughly satisfied, Maes and Roy lay on the grass staring up at the blue sky.
 
“Flame Alchemist, huh? Of all things you could have picked, it had to be fire. Why didn't you choose something useful? Like turning trees into cash? Or hags into babes?”
 
“Or pants to mini-skirts?” Roy supplied. He sat up on his elbows, wincing slightly from the pain in his side. “I didn't choose it, really. It's just something that happened. My talent in alchemy, you could say.”
 
“So you're a Major now? I can't believe you're a higher rank than I am.” He shrugged. “It's inevitable, I guess. You still gonna reach for the top?”
 
“Yes. You still gonna push me up there?”
 
“You bet your pale body I will.” Maes quickly stood up before Roy could do anything. He wobbled slightly from head rush and their previous fight. Grabbing his kite, he said, “Well, I'm going to go see my girlfriend.”
 
“Idiot. You don't have a girlfriend,” Roy called out to Maes, though he was already walking away.
 
“Yes, I do! And her name is Glacier Jones!”
 
­­­­­­­_______________________ _________________________________________________
 
A/N: Amestris is the country that the story is taken place in.