Fushigi Yuugi Fan Fiction ❯ Fushigi Yuugi: Daydream's Embrace ❯ Episode 27: The Summoning ( Chapter 27 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Episode 27:
The Summoning
By: Nyan Nyan and Mrs. Tasuki
 
 
A glowing sun slowly rose over the land of Konan, highlighting the silvery clouds with the warmth of its rays. The palace glimmered brilliantly. The golds and reds of its buildings were as bright as the sun itself, as the entirety of the palace had been scoured in preparation for the long-awaited ceremony.

Two figures watched the sun's progress over the palace from a tiny pavilion atop one of the many crystalline lakes in the courtyard. “Isn't it beautiful?” mused Miaka, her elbows set on the pavilion's railing as she rested her chin atop her hands, gazing at the rippling reflection of the sun
in the shimmering water.

“Yeah...
” Tamahome agreed quietly, his eyes on Miaka as he gently wrapped his arms around her shoulders.

“I just want to stay like this forever,” sighed Miaka.

Tamahome gently pulled Miaka in front of him, his hands atop her sho
ulders, and said “Maybe you can...” Miaka looked at him baffled, and Tamahome continued, “The ceremony is today...maybe, once Suzaku is summoned... He slowly trailed off as he hung his head, blushing nervously.

Tamahome?” asked Miaka, not understanding what he was trying to say.

“Miaka...would you...
would you stay here? Would you stay with me forever?”

Stunned, the girl was silent for a second. There's no way she could have heard him correctly, she was only
fifteen. “Tamahome...w-what do you mean?” she stuttered in disbelief.

Tamahome let go of Miaka's shoulders and turned so that he was facing away from her
, blood rushing to his face from embarrassment. “Will you marry me?”

Miaka stepped back, her eyes wide with surprise. She opened her mouth to reply, but was silenced as the ground began to tremble. She fell back against the pavilion's railings and held tight to one of the beams as the ground continued to shake.

“W
hat's happening?” Tamahome asked, aghast by the sudden rumbling within the earth.

“It's an earthquake!” Miaka shouted. B
eing from Tokyo, she was quite used to small tremors.

After a moment, the earth stopped moving, and Miaka let go of the beam. “Are you
okay?” Tamahome asked the girl. Miaka nodded her head breathlessly. Tamahome gave the girl one last look before he started to back away. “I need to get going...the ceremony's starting soon.” Before he was too far for Miaka to hear him, Tamahome turned around and added, “Just think about it, okay?”
 
oOo

“I got the duct tape!” Joan hollered as she
burst through the bedroom door with a large roll of gray tape in her hands.

Hovering over the injured book, Diana scooped up the fragile pages in her arms, shi
elding it as if it were a newborn baby. Turning sharply, she screamed, “No, you idiot!”

Sighing loudly, Joan closed the door behind her, ma
king sure their dilemma would remain hidden from her friend's aunt. “We have to fix it somehow,” she reasoned, rolling her blue-gray eyes as Diana carefully placed the book on her nightstand. She unrolled a large strip of tape and tore it off, looking at the broken book.
 
“Look, we are not going to defile this book anymore than we already have,” Diana snapped back, carefully opening the book to a page in its center, as if it may fall apart at any moment.

Sticking out her bottom lip, Joan pouted, “But duct tape is fun,” reminding Diana of a small child who was just told playtime was over.
 
Diana rose to her feet and turned towards her small friend. In a mothering voice, she explained, “Yes, it is fun for things that aren't important, like mending a CD cover, but we should not
use duct tape on the one portal between your sister and this world.” Every rip and tear on its pages could have easily rained disaster upon the lands within the binding.
 
Sadly sighing, Joan whispered, “Okay...,” knowing deep down her friend had a valid point.
 
Returning her attention to the ancient novel, Diana looked down at the letters on the washed-out,
frail-looking page. “Unbeknownst to the inhabitants inside the palace walls, one boy still posed as a threat to the Priestesses and their seishi. Declaring he was the Suzaku sei, Chiriko, the palace guards opened the gates to the enemy...” She paused for a moment, the lines of turmoil sinking into her system. Whispering, “Shit,” she slowly turned towards Joan, debating if telling her abusive friend would cost her life.
   
oOo
 
Hotohori carefully held the ancient scroll in his hands as he quickly walked down the palace hallways, holding the fragile, yet powerful, roll of parchment. With the ceremony only hours away, it was clear that time was of the essence. Even the most miniscule of details needed to be just right, for Konan had waited eons for the summoning day to arrive. As the emperor walked, he carefully studied the ancient kanji, paying no attention to his surroundings. Assuming anyone who saw him would step to the side and bow until he passed them by, an action that the emperor had known since his earliest years.

“Hotohori!” a voice called from behind him, followed by the pounding of footsteps on the wooden floors. Stopping, Hotohori looked over his shoulder to see Christina running towards him. He nodded his head as he greeted the priestess, wondering why she had searched
him out.
 
As she stepped in front of the e
mperor, Christina panted, “I need to talk to you.”

Although he and Christina were on good terms with each other, they did not share a close friendship that the priestess had with the other warriors. Seeing no reason for the girl to extend the hand of close friendship so late, he assumed that it was a technicality concerning the ceremony. “Yes?” inquired the emperor as he rolled up the scroll, giving her his full attention.

Christina glanced over her shoulder at two guards who were clearly eavesdropping
, moving closer to whisper into his ear, “Can we talk...in private? It's kinda important.” She kept her gaze focused on the prying guards, as if watching for any change in expression.

Hotohori looked down at the girl's expression, becoming
nervous at her somber aura. He quietly opened the closest door and led Christina inside. After Christina tightly shut the door behind them, Hotohori asked, “What is wrong?”

“Nothing's wrong..
.exactly...” she sighed, rubbing her eyes with exhaustion. She looked down at the ground, “It's about you and Katherine.”

The emperor sat down in one of the chairs by the door, straining to keep a mask of composure on his face. “What about us?” he asked worriedly. It seemed as though everything between Katherine and hi
mself had been going perfectly. Katherine had finally answered his declaration of love with one of her own, and, after Suzaku was summoned, Hotohori would make her his empress.

Standing as still as stone, Christina looked to Hotohori and replied softly and calmly, “Katherine told me that you are both in love.” She paused for a moment, pursing her lips as she summoned the exact words that she wanted to say. “And, knowing you, you probably have plans to marry her,
but...” She paused again as if hoping that the emperor could read her thoughts, instead of forcing her to speak them aloud.

“But...
” repeated Hotohori, leaning forward as he wondered what could be wrong.

“Katherine is fifteen. I know that's old here in Chinatown, and everyone gets married at our age, but where Katherine and
I are from, it's way too young...ridiculously young.”

“How old do people from your world wait to marry?” he asked. Already nineteen and a bachelor made Hoto
hori older than any other unwed emperor in Konan's history, a fact that his advisors loved to remind him of time and time again.

Christina murmured, “Usually around twenty-five.”

“Twenty-five?
! he exclaimed, not even attempting to hide his shock.

“Yeah...
most people wait until after college, when they have a job...and a house.” Seeing the shocked expression on his face, Christina added, “People in our world live a lot longer than they do here...seventy, eighty, some ninety, or hundred even.” She looked sadly at the emperor's face and said, “You really don't know anything about her, do you?”

“Of course I do, just not about her past,” he reasoned.

“A person's past determines who they are,” Christina said, shaking her head. “What's her favorite color?” s
he demanded.

Faltering for
a moment, the emperor answered, “...Red.”

“Chichiri blue,” Christina corrected, remembering the pr
ecise moment that Katherine fallen in love with the color of the monk's hair.
 
“Obviously
, we have more important things to talk about,” he stated, wondering how Christina could expect him to know the answer to such a ridiculous question when they had been risking their lives to save his country.
 
Christina thought for a moment, searching her mind for a truly simple question, something that even a
n acquaintance of Katherine's should have known. “What's her sister's name?”
 
“Katherine has a sister?” Hotohori asked, wondering why he never heard about the sibling before now.
 
Thinking only of the best for her friend, Christina asked angrily, “How are you supposed to marry someone you know nothing about!
?

The emperor rose
from his chair angrily and declared, “I may know nothing about her, but I know her! I know she will always be the independent, stubborn person she is today. But I love her for who she is, and for the first time...” He paused for moment, regaining his composure. “...someone loves me for who I am.”

Christina sighed and covered her face with her hands, trying to wipe away any emotions that were not needed for
their conversation. She lifted her head back up, emotionless as stone. “I just wanted you to know one thing; Katherine had a life outside of this world, a life you obviously care nothing about,” she added cleverly. “If she marries you, she will be giving up everything. Her friends, her family, her home, everything she knows. I know you love her, and she loves you, but you need to realize how much you're asking of her.”
 
oOo
 
Slow, heavy steps echoed outside the Shrine of Suzaku as Miaka paced back and forth, trying to figure out why she was overcome by such a strong feeling of dread. The doors had been barred shut only minutes before, and yet, the minutes had warped into hours as Miaka waiting anxiously outside.
 
Something was wrong. Miaka had an awful hunch that something terrible was about to happen. The notion had started with the sudden disappearance of Chiriko, and had escalated when he suddenly returned a day later, quiet, as though nothing had happened.
 
At first, she thought that the cause of her anxiety was because she was the Priestess of Seiryuu and it was instinct. But, now that the ceremony had started she knew that it was much more. Somehow, she knew that the ceremony would be disastrous, but she did not have the heart to bring up the premonition. “If I tell Tamahome...he'll think I'm just trying to stop them from summoning Suzaku...because...because I'm the enemy.” She sadly looked up to the sky, wondering why she had ever agreed to carry the burden of being the Priestess of Seiryuu.
 
oOo
 
“I summon you!” the priestesses shouted at the top of their lungs.
 
As soon as the words were spoken, the book exploded in Diana's hands. The Universe of the Four Gods had been destroyed, killing the magical world inside.
 
The End.
oOo
Author's Note:
Review
and
Goodbye!
It's been fun...really.
oOo
JUST KIDDING! 
Haha. We fooled you. We hope you didn't have a heart attack, but, if you look in our disclaimer, you'll find you can't sue us, even if you did.
 
Love you all,
Nyan Nyan and Mrs. Tasuki
 
Moving on...
 
oOo
 
The golden statue of Suzaku sparkled in the flickering flames of the many oil lamps and the gilded altar, the firelight casting strange, eerie darkness towards the sides and back of the room. The shichiseishi of Suzaku stepped forward and lined up along the long, red carpet that led to the altar, standing on their respective constellations, carved into the stone floor.
 
Hotohori was dressed in ceremonial robes and hat. Even though he appeared to be confident, he felt as though his insides were tied into knots. Tamahome and Tasuki, both clad in their usual attire, waited anxiously, their arms crossed nonchalantly. Chichiri, Mitsukake, and little Chiriko were all silent and serious, while Nuriko carried a look of great concern on his face.
 
The heavy metal doors were pulled shut as Katherine and Christina appeared, clothed in identical red robes with long, flowing sleeves and trains made of white gauze. Golden bracelets sparkled at their wrists and matching necklaces adorned their necks. Neither one of the girls looked frightened, but both had looks of sorrow and anxiety on their faces. As Katherine and Christina reached the very end of the long, red carpet, where the gilded altar was set, Tamahome, Hotohori, Nuriko, Chichiri, Tasuki, Mitsukake, and Chiriko simultaneously clasped their hands together and lowered their heads in prayer.
 
Out of the corner of his eye, Nuriko looked at the two girls he had gotten to know so well, every quirk about them perfect. He watched as Katherine shakily clapped her hands together. Christina bit her lip with anxiety, but tried to look confident to make up for her friend. Nuriko knew that the two priestesses were worried about the success of the summoning, but they had also voiced one other concern to him; they were afraid that the ceremony would mean goodbye.
 
Nuriko knew that Katherine and Christina were not the only people he would be saying farewell to. Thoughts swarmed his mind as he thought about how everyone would eventually go their separate ways. Once Suzaku was summoned, would everyone return to whence they came, without another word? Could all of the seishi simply forget everything that they had all shared together, and return to their lives? Nuriko pondered these forlorn thoughts, and looked up as Christina and Katherine began to recite the ancient incantation, which Chichiri had helped them memorize only hours eariler.
 
“We summon all the great forces of justice, faith, and good will from the four corners of heaven and the four corners of the earth to call on you the divine Suzaku…” they shouted, finding confidence in each others' voices. “We ask that you descend from the seven constellations to the earth to protect us, and destroy all evil with your divine powers for the sake of the people who worship you.”
 
Nuriko looked away from the fire, wondering if this was the end of their long friendship, when he spotted something in the shadows. Nuriko could barely make out the figure, but, illuminated by the flickering firelight, a pair of glowing eyes stared back at him. Katherine and Christina tossed the ancient scroll of parchment into the fire just as Nuriko opened his mouth to warn them of the intruder.
 
Time seemed to slow to a stop, and Nuriko watched in horror as something from the shadows flew towards them, inch by painful inch. He could see the parchment's edges turn black as it was licked by the flames, slowly crumbling to ashes. The loud pounding of Nuriko's heartbeat filled his ears, drowning out every other sound around him, and he turned his head to see the weapon was heading straight for Mitsukake's turned back.
 
Mitsukake felt an extraordinarily strong force pushing him to the side, as though a wall had suddenly descended upon him. He hit the cold stone ground, his breath forced out of him by surprise, the echo of the impact thundering in his ears.
 
“Nuriko!” screamed a frightened, feminine voice. Mitsukake looked up, squinting his eyes in pain to see Nuriko falling towards the ground, his hands clutching at his left side in pain. A large, gaping wound over the sei's ribs was bleeding all over the shining, stone floors.
 
It was strange. Through the pain, Nuriko had a bizarre sense of serenity. Knowing he had completed his obligation to Suzaku, he felt whole again, a feeling he hadn't felt since his sister had died. Korin...she seemed so close to him. Ryuuen could almost hear her innocent laughter as she ran through the gardens. The pain in his left side slowly receding, tears streaked Ryuuen's face. In an instant he knew that this was his destiny.
 
Rushing over to the boy's side, Mitsukake gently rolled Nuriko to his back. “Korin...” Nuriko breathed, as hot tears leaked through his closed lids. The doctor's eyes widened when Nuriko became deathly still. He immediately raised his left hand, praying that it was not too late.
 
A figure stepped out of the shadows, exposing himself in the golden light of the altar. “Chiriko!” Tamahome gasped.
 
“So these are the legendary Suzaku warriors...” the boy chuckled darkly, “...pitiful.” He slowly approached the circle, mere inches away from the seishi and priestesses. Sneering, he continued, “You don't deserve three wishes. My brother and I went through far too much to have our dreams crushed by a pathetic group like you!”
 
Christina and Katherine gasped as they noticed the weapons in his hands. “Suboshi!” Katherine shouted.
 
Smirking, Suboshi lifted his arms into the air, throwing his deadly meteor bells towards them as he shouted “Ryu Sei Sui!”
 
oOo
 
Miaka jumped up from where she had been sitting against the wall as she heard screams from within the ceremony room. She rushed at the doors and tried to lift up the bar, but was blown back by a strong force. As she looked up from the ground, she noticed that a strange, red flickering barier was surrounding the doors, keeping her from entering.
 
Realizing that as the Priestess of Seiryuu she would not be able to enter, Miaka rushed off in search of someone who could help.
 
oOo
 
The meteor bells flew through the air, straight towards Tasuki. The bandit quickly dodged the weapons with godlike speed and pulled out his tessen from the sheath on his back with a loud, metallic echo. “Rekka Shinen!” Tasuki yelled, sending a wave of flames towards Suboshi.
 
Shocked, everyone stared at the bandit, silent until Tamahome quietly mused, “I thought we couldn't use our seishi powers...”
 
“Th' tessen ain't my power, ya dumbass!” replied Tasuki hotheadedly.
 
Suboshi, who had barely dodged Tasuki's flames, grabbed his meteor bells from the air and swung them around, challenging the seishi. “Ryu Sei Sui!” he shouted as he hurled both weapons towards them again.
 
Chichiri quickly grabbed Chiriko and pushed him backwards before stepping in front of the boy, protecting him from Suboshi. Christina rushed over to the altar as Tasuki sent another wall of fire towards Suboshi. She hurriedly shouted into the altar, trying to finish the ceremony.
 
“We summon you thus! Descend upon us from the heavens!” Katherine ran beside Christina, and watched the urn nervously.
 
Nothing happened.
 
“The scroll's already burned!” Katherine cried.
 
Suboshi, seeing his main targets standing away from the warriors, in the perfect position for him to strike, quickly sent his meteor bells towards Katherine and Christina. A loud noise banged on the door as the guards tried to break in. As the sound echoed through the room, the priestesses turned in fright, just in time to see Suboshi's meteor bells flying towards them. Frozen with fear, neither one of the girls could move out of the weapons' path.
 
Hotohori, seeing the two priestesses in danger, bolted from the side of the alter and shoved the two out of the way. As they all fell, the meteor bells grazed a long gash on the emperor's shoulder, ripping cloth and flesh with similar ease. Tasuki leapt forward as Suboshi grabbed his weapons back from the air and yelled, “Rekka Shinen!”
 
Suboshi quickly jumped away, but not swift enough, as the fire enveloped his right arm. He shook his arm around as he yelped in pain, trying to douse the flames as the thumping upon the door grew louder. Suddenly, the noise stopped altogether; Suboshi looked around for a way to escape, holding his burnt arm in pain.
 
A large bang hit the door, breaking both of the bolts and causing the metal doors to fly open to reveal no less than twenty soldiers holding a huge battering ram. The soldiers dropped the ram and began to rush inside, giving Suboshi a perfect exit.
 
Suboshi leapt across the room and past the guards, out into the courtyard of the palace. “Master Chiriko!” exclaimed several guards with surprise.
 
Tasuki quickly chased after Suboshi, with Tamahome right behind him. “Get him!” shouted Tamahome, “He's the enemy!”
 
Tasuki was quickly barred from chasing Suboshi as a large amount of guards grabbed his arms and legs, thinking that the questionable bandit was the traitor. “What th' hell are ya guys doin'?!” shouted Tasuki angrily.
 
“Not him! Chiriko!” Christina yelled as Tamahome brushed past the guards, chasing Suboshi. Tasuki was immediately released by the guards and sped off, soon followed by the soldiers themselves.
 
Tasuki quickly followed Tamahome and Suboshi's path, leaving the guards far behind. He ran through the palace gates, slipping between the two doors with ease. He felt the celestial mark on his arm begin to burn and glow as it gave him more power.
 
Snickering to himself with pride as he passed the blue-haired sei, Tasuki brushed past crowds of people in the streets. He carved a pathway for himself and leaving frightened people screaming in surprise behind him. Far up ahead, Tasuki spotted Suboshi jumping on the back of a horse.
 
Grabbing the nearest horse, Tasuki leapt onto its back, scaring the horse to nearly buck him off. He yanked on the horse's reins and began to chase after Suboshi again. The crowds had begun to back away, watching the two as if it were a race, some cheering without even knowing what was going on.
 
Tasuki spurred on the horse mercilessly, trying to catch up to Suboshi, who was slowly gaining speed. He began to close in, and steered his horse alongside Suboshi's, ready to make his move. Tasuki lifted up his hands to wrestle the sei off of the horse, just as the ground began to shake; a chain reaction from the earlier quake. The horse that Tasuki had stolen bucked up quickly, throwing him from the animal and onto the ground. A searing pain filled his head and then all was black.
 
oOo
 
“Are you okay?!” shouted a voice above Tasuki, hammering into his brain like a nail. Tasuki quickly bolted up to see where traitor had went, grimacing as he felt the blood leaving his head.
 
“Shit!” shouted the bandit. He looked up to see Tamahome, and asked, “Did ya see which way he went?”
 
“Nah,” replied Tamahome, “he was long gone by the time I got here.” He reached down and offered his hand to Tasuki, who knocked it aside, still angry that he had not caught the traitor.
 
“Dammit!” shouted Tasuki as he stood up. He turned and stomped the ground that he had been knocked out on, yelling again out of frustration, “Dammit!”
 
“You never told me your seishi power was speed,” Tamahome commented as he nodded towards the mark, glowing through Tasuki's sleeve.
 
Tasuki rubbed the mark absentmindedly, and then looked up with a smirk, “Ya never gave me a reason t'.”
 
oOo
 
Miaka turned around from where she was standing, just outside the small circle of the priestesses and seishi, as she heard footsteps echoing down the vacant halls. She looked back to see Tamahome and Tasuki returning, tired and beaten.
 
Rushing towards Tamahome, Miaka asked, “What happened?”
 
“Amiboshi came back...” Tamahome said quietly.
 
“Actually, that wasn't Amiboshi...” Christina interjected solemnly.
 
“He's twin brother, Suboshi, came back to take his place and ruin the ceremony,” Katherine finished quietly.
 
Tasuki walked forward and looked at Nuriko worriedly, “Are ya okay?” he asked, gesturing towards where Nuriko had been injured.
 
“Yeah, Mitsukake healed me,” Nuriko muttered, lifting up his arm to show that his left side was completely healed.
 
“What happened after we left?” asked Tamahome.
 
“Yeah,” said Tasuki, “is th' ceremony ruined?” 
 
“Pretty much...” Katherine sighed quietly.
 
“But we have another chance,” Christina smiled, looking tired and hopeful at the same time.
 
Hotohori walked behind Tamahome and Tasuki and gestured them away from the group, knowing that everyone else was too tired to listen, and said, “Taiitsukun appeared and informed us that there is another way to summon Suzaku...” he paused, watching as Tamahome and Tasuki's faces lit up.
 
“Ya mean-“ Tasuki began.
 
The emperor raised his hand, cutting Tasuki off so that he could finish. “But, she said that the hardships we will face will be `beyond anything we've experienced'.”
 
“So, what do we have to do?” Tamahome asked.
 
“Travel to the northern county, Hokkan, and retrieve the Shinzaho kept there,” Hotohori answered.
 
Stretching, Tasuki said arrogantly, “Well, that doesn't sound too hard.”
 
“I guess we'll find out,” said Tamahome.
 
Chichiri walked over to the group and pointed towards the side of the door, saying, “You must have dropped your tessen when the guards grabbed you, no da.”
 
Tasuki walked over and picked up the weapon, admiring it for a moment before saying, “This ain't my tessen.”
 
“Stop playing around, Tasuki!” Tamahome said, tired and not in the mood for his antics.
 
“Nah, my tessen doesn't sparkle like this...”
 
“Taiitsukun must have changed it when she presented us with our gifts...” Hotohori mused thoughtfully.
 
“Gifts?” asked Tamahome, his eyes wide with greed, “What gifts?”
 
“Just little things to make the trip easier, no da,” said Chichiri, holding out a strand of prayer beads he had been given. “Mitsukake was given holy water, Nuriko bracelets, Chiriko a scroll, and Hotohori a holy sword.”
 
Tamahome leapt forward in front of Chichiri, holding out his hands as though the monk was Santa Claus. “What'd she give me?” he asked, excited like a little boy on Christmas morning.
 
Hesitantly, Chichiri and Hotohori glanced at each other. “We assumed that neither of you were granted anything in particular since you weren't with us,” Hotohori said quietly.
 
“It's like diamond!” the bandit exclaimed, not realizing he was being watched.
 
“But Tasuki's tessen was improved...” Tamahome said sadly, watching Tasuki play with his new weapon.
 
Chichiri placed his hand on Tamahome's shoulder and said wisely, “Maybe she did give you something...you just don't know it yet, no da.”
 
Tamahome stared at the monk for a moment, perplexed by his words. Chichiri nodded and walked back towards the group, leaving Tamahome behind.
 
“How'd Tamahome take it?” Christina asked, knowing that he would be disappointed in his lack of gift.
 
“He took it very well, no da,” Chichiri smiled.
 
“Hey!” shouted Chiriko, “That's my scroll!”
 
Tamahome held Chiriko's scroll to his own face as he shouted, “I should have gotten something too!”
 
“You're being very immature!” the thirteen year-old scolded.
 
Tasuki leapt forward and shouted, “Ya stole somethin' from a little kid?! That's new lows even for you, Tama! Let's see how my new tessen works!” Tasuki lifted up the sparkling weapon and shouted, “Rekka Shinen!”
 
A wall of flames extended towards Tamahome, who was frozen to the spot. In a moment, he was quickly engulfed, and left on the ground, so burnt that he was covered by a fine layer of gray ash.
 
Coughing, Tamahome dropped the unscathed scroll, which rolled back to Chiriko's feet.
 
“Whoa...” Tasuki said, staring as his tessen in disbelief. “I wasn't even tryin' or nothin'...” The room erupted in laughter as Tamahome pulled himself to his feet and coughed out a cloud of smoke.
 
Tamahome stood up and looked towards Miaka, who was laughing along with the rest of his friends. Smiling, Tamahome knew that no gift could be more important than the one right in front of him.
 
oOo
 
Walking aimlessly throughout the palace, Katherine plodded down the hallway, shamefully hanging her head as she watched her bare feet take her to nowhere in particular. The sun shone through the trees, bringing a new day and a new adventure. Her navy blue pajama bottoms rustled in the morning breeze as she thought over the previous day's events for the millionth time. Exhausted from the restless night of attempted sleep, the girl sighed as she tried to run her fingers through her tangled hair, only to be discouraged.
 
Now bored with walking, the priestess leaned her back against the wall and lifelessly slid down it, looking at the rising sun as she hit the floor. “I'm so stupid!” she exclaimed for no one to hear as she banged the back of her head against the wall. “Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid!” the girl continued, relentlessly hitting her head. She closed her eyes for a moment and let out a long sigh as she tried to run her fingers through her hair once again.
 
“Katherine?” a deep voice questioned.
 
Instantly recognizing the voice, Katherine said, “Hotohori?” as she opened her eyes. From where she was sitting, she looked up at the tall emperor, who was standing in front of the sun. Only able to see his silhouette, she placed her hand on her forehead, shielding her eyes from the bright light. “What are you doing here?”
 
Coming down on one knee, he explained, “I was in the conference room and heard a loud knocking.”
 
For the first time, Katherine looked around at her surroundings, realizing that this was, in fact, the conference area. “Oh...sorry that was me,” she apologized, “I was banging my head against the wall.”
 
“Why on earth would you do that?” he asked as he sat down next to her.
 
“Because I'm an idiot,” Katherine sighed as she leaned her head back against the wall.
 
Placing his hand on her shoulder, Hotohori opposed, “Never say that! You tried your best, and that's all I've ever asked from you.”
 
Turning to him, the exhausted girl rolled her eyes and stated, “First of all, no, it wasn't. You asked me to summon Suzaku, which I didn't do.” Seeing Hotohori about to interrupt she held up her hand, motioning she had more to say. “Second of all, I am, in fact, an idiot. And lastly, if you're in the conference room, then evidently you have a meeting, and I don't want to keep your advisors waiting. So, I'll be going,” she finished, amazingly still retaining her logic through her fog of insomnia. She placed her hand on the floor, about to stand up, but quickly found Hotohori's hand on top of it. Looking back at the emperor, she could clearly see something was troubling him. Quickly sitting back down, she slid her hand out from underneath his. “What's wrong?” she asked, slightly grasping his hand.
 
Slowly moving his hand away, he turned to face her, his golden eyes sparkling nervously. “I need to tell you something.”
 
Never seeing the usually calm emperor so anxious about something, a cold chill ran down Katherine's spine. “What is it?” she whispered, worriedly grabbing her right arm.
 
Quickly looking away from her distressed face, the sei answered, “I...I don't love you anymore...”
 
To Be Continued...
 
A/N: When it comes to the seishi's powers, we make nothing up. In Genrou Den, and Fushigi Yuugi, for that matter, it gives several references to Tasuki's true powers.
 
A/N: PLEASE READ! We are aware that our updates are very long apart, and for that we would like to make one final apology. We understand it is very difficult to keep interest in a story that only updates once every two or three months.
 
We have reached the end of the first season. (YES!) There is one more season coming with more surprises and twists than we can even count. We would like to ask you for your patience as we now plan for the next season. This planning process will take about six months. Please do not forget about us, since we do realize it is quite a length of time between updates. Hopefully, with help from this break, we will update more often once we return. Don't worry; we have two surprises in the middle of the break especially for you.
 
We are not leaving the story. We just need a couple months just to clear our heads and plan the next season so then it's twice as good as the first, which we PROMISE will be.
 
Thank you for your constant support,
Nyan Nyan and Mrs. Tasuki
 
PS: Please review...we struggled greatly with this chapter, and we want to make sure everything falls into place. (Sadly, we are, in fact, review whores...)