Fushigi Yuugi Fan Fiction ❯ Revival of the Mysterious Play ❯ Entering the Universe of the Four Gods ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Two Entering the Universe of the Four Gods
 
“Herein contains the tale of four young ladies and their quests to gather the seven constellations of Suzaku, Seiryuu, Byakkou, and Genbuu together,” Ryuu read from the book. His eyes looked on puzzled. The Ancient Chinese book was strange. He hadn't read anything like this before. Ancient Myths were a hobby of his.
 
“Suzaku, Seiryuu, Byakkou, and Genbuu? They are the four gods that guard the four cardinal points: North, East, West, and South.” He read from the book. He frowned. “What do they have to do with the girls? Why were they wrapped in that strange light?” He asked himself out load.
 
“And if you, the esteemed reader, should read to the story's end, the spell contained within this book shall bestow upon you the powers of the Heroines, and grant you your wish.”
 
“My wish? What the hell is going on?” Ryuu was puzzled completely dumbstruck. He had never heard of a myth quite like this.
 
“For once the moment the page was turned the story will become real,” Ryuu read from the book.
 
“The young ladies all had the requirements to open the door to the other world and descend upon the countries of Konan, Kutou, Sailo, and Hokan.”
 
“The young lady chosen by Seiryuu, her mother had abandoned her and her father was an expected lost those events had destroyed her heart. She descended upon, Kutou.”
 
“The name of the young lady on her destined path to become the priestess of Seriyuu was…”
 
“Takara?” Ryuu thought out load. “Are you all in the book?”
 
“…Takara Shima. She wondered alone in the desert miles away from the city of Xing-yuàn.”
 
Takara had passed out. When she awoke she sat up on the sand. She was bewildered to what had happened. A moment ago she was with her friends in the Library. She looked around at her predicament.
 
“Where am I?” She asked out load. There was nothing but sand, cactus, and much other desert plant life as far as the eye could see. She couldn't see anyone else. There was nothing to tell her where she was or where her friends were. `Tokyo is not like this,' she thought. `Am I dreaming?'
 
She reached over to her right arm and pinched it with her left. She felt the pain. “I guess I am not dreaming.” She frowned and picked herself up. She wiped the sand from her legs and clothes.
 
She looked at where she had awoken up at. She could see her body impression in the sand. She turned around searching. There were no other marks in it. The sand was just drifting. It looked like waves from the ocean painted in a still picture except that it was made out of sand.
 
She turned around gazing further out. There were no impressions by any of the dunes. There was nothing to explain how she got there. It was as if she was just dropped there.
 
Takara gazed into the sky. She shielded her eyes the best she could from the sun. There were hardily any clouds. No birds flocked over head. She could see a spec of something but it was to far off to tell what it was. It couldn't have been an air plane. She didn't hear any engine.
 
An airplane couldn't have dropped her off anyway. It would have left marks in the sand. If she did jump out where was her parachute and why didn't she remember it. There was nothing here to tell her what had happened.
 
A strange thought played in her mind. The only thing that would explain her predicament was an alien abduction. She had read in those phony magazines from classmates that people don't remember what happened to them. Many of the abductees, what you call people abducted by a UFO, were left in strange foreign places. The abductees believed it was a test.
 
Takara grunted. She couldn't have been abducted. It was to strange. Could it have been the book? That was an even stranger thing.
 
“What happened?” She said out load. She sighed at her crazy thinking. She had to get back to normal and figure out what was going on. “What's going on? What was that light?” Fear swelled in her chest. Where were her friends?
 
“Akiko? Kasumi? Moriko? Ryuu?” She called. Hearing no answer tears stung her eyes. She crumpled to the ground. The sun felt to hot for her.
 
“Why am I all alone?” Tears started to flow from her eyelids. She tried to rub them away. Her heart ached for her friends. She was alone. Maybe she was abducted or inside the book. To her right now it didn't matter she was all alone. It was something she always feared. Something she knew was going to happen. But it shouldn't have happened this soon.
 
“Takara…” Ryuu said with his voice full of sympathy. He had read what happened from the book. He knew his friend had hated being alone. Her mother had abandoned her. Her father was leaving her also. She feared being alone. Now she was completely alone inside the book.
 
He slumped down on the floor. Something had hit his left dress shoe. He leaned to pick it up. It was Takara's ball. He squeezed it as he continued to read the story.
 
“Takara had cried for a while. Finally when tears would flow no more she picked herself up. She was confused, alone, and afraid. But sitting there crying she knew wouldn't change her predicament.”
 
“The sun felt to hot on her skin as she walked. She took of her navy coat carrying it along with her messenger bag. The sun then started to prickle her bare skin burning it. She had no water to drink. She had to move on and find shelter. Starting off in one direction she began her journey...”
 
Ryuu looked at the page. There was a picture of Takara but in ink. It looked so strange. It couldn't have been possible this was only a book. He turned the page and continued reading out load.
 
“The young lady chosen by Genbuu, her mother and father had separated splitting her and her twin sister up. Her mother constantly nagged her making her apply to a high school that she never wanted to go to. She feared she would never see her friends anymore or her sister. Her heart was ready to crack. She descended upon, Bei-Jia.”
 
“The name of the young lady on her destined path to become the priestess of Genbuu was Kasumi Tsuchi.”
 
Kasumi awakened in the snow. She picked herself up and shivered. “Huh?” She looked around her surroundings. “Where am I?” She shivered once more.
 
Her hand held her navy coat. She slipped it on. But the coat couldn't keep the cold out. The snow she was in was near her knees. She felt the bitter cold against her bare skin. She shivered inside it while looking at her surroundings.
 
There was snow tons of it. She could see a village down far below. Pine trees were everywhere. The trees here were the only ones that could still have greenery in this type of climate. `I'm on a mountain?' She thought. `Before I was in the library with my friends…' She stared at the city down below.
 
She took a step towards the city. `The sun should be low in the sky. Where did all this snow come from?' A thousand thoughts raced through her mind. `How is this possible? Was I dropped here? Then where are my captures foot prints? Where…' Her face paled as she realized the most important thing of all. `Where are my friends?'
 
“Moriko?” She called continuing walking on her path. “Akiko?” Takara? Ryuu? Where are you?”
 
`What was that light? What in the world happened' She looked around once more. She had once read a book that described a place like this. `It's like I am in Ancient China. Am I in the book?' Kasumi thought.
 
She stopped in her tracks. She heard a load noise. It sounded like a baby crying. But it was far to more frightening. It wasn't a natural baby cry. Though she didn't know what it was it frightened her. It sent shivers down her spine. She listened as it appeared to be getting closer and closer. She had to cover her ears the sound frightened her to much. Though her ears were covered she could still hear the horrible sound. Tears stung her eyes. It was too much. She then realized why it was so loud. It was coming from behind her.
 
Kasumi turned around. Her heart sank. She watched as three giant beasts about as tall as the trees stepped out from the trees behind her. They looked like abnormal snowmen of legends except their heads were more canine like. They had large claws and teeth. She covered her ears. They were the ones making such horrible noise.
 
She watched as they bent the trees. Some groaned and gave way to their strength. These beasts were powerful whatever they were. All she could assume they were youkai, demons. She never read anything like this being in Ancient China.
 
`I am not in Tokyo anymore,' she thought.
 
With her eyes locked on the creatures she watched them. As one noticed her and came towards her she started to run. The snow was too deep for her to run far. She kept on getting stuck. She had to lift her legs up higher to even move. She could feel the creature easily closing the gap between them.
 
She screamed and ran as best as she could. She could feel the giant creatures behind her. They were chasing her. She stumbled and fell into the snow.
 
`This has to be a dream,' she thought and silently prayed.
 
“Kasumi clasped on the ground. She thought that she had to be in a dream. Fear filled her thoughts. She laid there cowering. She felt helpless for she was too afraid. Her fear made her pass out. She was at the mercy of the creatures,” Ryuu read out load from the book.
 
“Kasumi…” Ryuu yelled. He felt hopeless sitting there reading the book. His heart ached. He knew these girls. He loved each one of them. He desperately wanted to help his friend. But all he could do was continue to read the book learning the fate of his friends.
 
Ryuu looked at the page. There was a picture of Kasumi but in ink. It looked similar to the one of Takara expect for the fact that Kasumi was lying in the snow and beasts were near her. He turned the page and continued reading out load.
 
“The young lady chosen by Suzaku, she feels forgotten by her family. Horrible rumors fly at her last safe heaven. Her heart was ready to break. She descended upon, Konan.”
 
“The name of the young lady on her destined path to become the priestess of Suzaku was Akiko Akagawa.”
 
Akiko stirred she had passed out. When she awoke she slowly sat up. She looked around her surroundings. Everything around her was dead. It was like she was in a waste land. The buildings were crumbling. Even so people walked around. People she didn't recognize. Going about their business none of the people seemed to mind her. They all wore kimonos. As if she was in Japan over a hundred years ago.
 
“Where am I?” She said out load. She stood up. “Is this a dream?” She pinched herself. “Ouch.” It wasn't a dream.
 
“If this isn't a dream then…” She felt awkward and puzzled. `I was in the library with my friends,' she thought. `Where are my friends?'
 
“Takara? Moriko? Kasumi? Ryuu?” She yelled taking a step forward. “Where are you?”
 
Some people turned to look at her. After a few seconds they went back to their own business. She was far to shy to ask them where her friends were. Or where was she.
 
She felt all alone. `Did they leave me too?' She thought. She had no one left. Her friends had left her. Her eyes became cloudy and sad. She was finally all alone. The thing she feared the most. Walking forward she found a beaten road. She decided to follow it. There wasn't anything else she could do.
 
She felt so lost and alone. It hurt her terribly. Her heart ached.
 
This place climate was a little to hot but nothing that bad. Akiko didn't seam to notice. She dragged her coat and messenger bag by her side.
 
She didn't notice the travelers as she walked on by. The young and old men stared at her. She couldn't notice anything in the state she was in. Her heart had finally broken.
 
“The young girl, Akiko, walked into the capital city of Konan,” Ryuu read from the book. “The young girl was in a daze. She didn't notice the great city or the strange men that were watching her. She kept on going straight entering an alley that was dissertated. The men followed her slowly with wicked grins on their faces. Five men surrounded her. As if she was a tasty meal for this pack of wild animals. One man grabbed a hold of her. The young girl didn't resist. She didn't do anything. He pushed her to the ground and climbed on top of her...”
 
“Akiko…” Ryuu said. He felt helpless again. He couldn't help any of them. It was a horrible feeling for him. Every time they had needed him, he promised him that he would be there. This time he couldn't. He could only read from the book.
 
Ryuu looked at the page. There was a picture of Akiko but it was in ink. It looked similar to the ones before except Akiko was being held down by a man. He turned the page and continued reading out load.
 
“The young lady chosen by Byakko, her mother and father had separated splitting her and her twin sister up. Her twin sister was going to leave her. Her heart was ready to break. She descended upon, Salio.”
 
“The name of the young lady on her destined path to become the priestess of Byrakko was Moriko Tsuchi.”
 
Moriko awakened in the sand. She sat up slowly while looking around. She was in a desert. She could see a city not to far off in the distance.
 
“Where am I?” She called out load. She stood up. `Could I be dreaming?' She thought. She pinched herself. She could feel the pain. `I guess not…' She frowned. `I was in the library with my friends.” She looked around. “Where are they?'
 
“Kasumi? Takara? Akiko? Ryuu? Where are you?” She called out. Hearing nothing she frowned once more.
 
`This doesn't make any sense,' she thought. `What is this place? It looks like Western China. But how is that possible?' She started to walk to the city.
 
“Kasumi? Ryuu? Takara? Akiko? Where are you?” She called once more. There was no one close enough to hear her calls. Maybe if she walked to the city they were there she hoped.
 
Moriko walked until she reached the city. She entered the gates which encircled the city. Inside the city everything was different. She noticed that everyone was dressed in kimonos. Kimonos were a little bit old fashioned and formal for taste. Some wore partial kimonos. But none had vibrant color which she was used to seeing.
 
`So where am I exactly? Could I be in the book?' She thought. She noticed that everyone stared at her as she walked by. She felt awkward and out of place. She continued to walk on. The city was large. `Could I really find anyone here? Am I being left behind?'
 
“Hello…” She spoke to a lady that was at a vender. The lady was looking over the large pancakes. The lady ignored her. She could tell that she was currently in the market district.
 
“Can you help me?” Moriko asked the lady. The lady quickly passed the money to the vender and walked away.
 
Moriko frowned. `Was everyone like this?' she thought. She continued to stay at the booth but the vendor ignored her. She watched as every costumer was helped except her. Feeling feed up Moriko left. `This place isn't too friendly…'
 
“Moriko continued to wonder around searching for her friends to no avail,” Ryuu read from the book. It appeared that the book would be switching back and forth between the girls. Thankfully Moriko hadn't ended up in a horrible or tough spot like the others. Deep down Ryuu feared that she would too. But all he could do was hopelessly read. A strange feeling gnawed at him but he didn't want to put down the book.
 
He stared at the ink picture of Moriko. It gave her a sad look. He could see a town with stone buildings in the back ground. Her pig tails were still visible in the picture. He turned the page.
 
“Kasumi had fallen and passed out of fright from being chased by the Maw. Luckily for her three men had return from a hunt helping the helpless girl out.”
 
“Is she alive?” Spoke the youngest man in the party. He has long red wine (dark red) colored hair. He has bangs. His eyes are the color of violet. He is wearing a traditional style hunter's outfit without the hat. It is dark blue and black. He wears a haori, a partial kimono, which ends at his thighs. He is wearing it over dark blue pants. He has on a dark blue and black coat that was opened. He has on a red slash. He has a red cloth covering his right eye. He is carrying a bow and arrow. Over his shoulder is his buck skin arrow case.
 
The older gentlemen that he was with touched the girl's neck. “Barely,” he said sadly. He leaned over to carry the girl. He felt the younger boy's hand on his shoulder.
 
“I'll carry her father,” the younger boy said. He bent down taking off his jacket and putting it on the girl. He then picked up the unconscious girl. Standing up he carried her awkwardly at first until he was able adjust to the weight. He had carried her for a ways when they reached the path to the village.
 
“That is a good boy, Yuudai,” the older man said with a smile. He was proud of his son.
 
“Father…” Yuudai said annoyed. He hated that his father called him a boy. He was man by the standings of the village. But he always let it be. He knew that he would always appear a boy to his mother and father.
 
“How is Isamu?” His father asked.
 
“He can walk. His wounds are not too severe. I was able to stop the bleeding. But he will need attention right away. He went on ahead. So we better hurry,” replied Yuudai as they walked. He was speaking of the other man that had adventured with them.
 
“So will her,” the father said referring to the fact that the unconscious girl needed to see a doctor also.
 
“Ma won't be happy that you brought home another stray.”
 
“Oh no your mother will like this one.”
 
Yuudai looked at his father puzzled. He had been a stray. He had known of another boy also. It was hard on families to feed themselves. To feed others would be very hard on them. But why would his mother like this one?
 
The father chuckled. “It will finally even us out. Also she may come to like you…” His wise voice trailed off.
 
“Father. I will not wear any of those ridiculous hats.”
 
“My boy. I was talking about marriage and you are worried about hats.”
 
“I know what you were getting at father. You would like me to marry so I can wear the celebration garments and hat. It is they only hat that I agreed to wear after all.”
 
The father chuckled. “Sometimes you are to smart for your own good. So isn't she pretty? Don't you think?”
 
Yuudai rolled his eyes. “Think whatever you want father but right now what is most important is making her well.” They had arrived at the village. There were several guards posted. The village had been attacked by Maws before. The Maws are the name of the canine like monsters that had attacked the young girl.
 
“Father?” Yuudai finally said.
 
“Yes, Yuudai.”
 
“Isn't she dressed strange? She is dressed far to cold for this climate.”
 
“Yeah, it is strange.”
 
“Father what do we do if she isn't from here?”
 
“Nothing child. Let's just make sure no one notices.”
 
“But could we be safe?” He could see sadness in his father's eye. He knew the answer. They could start harboring a foreigner. Their country was on the brink of war. It could mean death for their whole family. But still what could one woman do…
 
An older woman came running up to them. Her hair was a mess. She had age lines like Yuudai's father. “I was so worried when I saw Isamu. I was afraid that the Maws had gotten you all too. He went to the doctor so quickly I had no time to ask him.”
 
“Mother,” Yuudai said. “We need to get to the doctor.”
 
“Oh…My lord,” she saw the young lady in his arms. She touched the girls face. “Hurry we must make haste. The doctor should be at his home.” She turned away from them walking along the path. “But let's take her home. She has the chills we must warm her up. Daifu go fetch the doctor.”
 
Yuudai followed after his mother in a hurried pace. He was careful not to drop the girl. He hadn't got a look at her but her cloths were different. They were not the kind you should wear around here. She was dressed for warmer weather. He doubted she was from this village. He knew all the young girls there. Well, they all knew him here. He didn't care too much for them. They were too giggly and persistent. They annoyed him.
 
Yuudai and his mother arrived at their hut. He followed his mother inside. “Set her down on a bed,” she instructed. He went into one of the two adjacent rooms. It was his room. He did what he was told. He tried to be as gentle as he could be.
 
His mother came into the room with a pile of blankets she had grabbed from other rooms. She set it on the bed. “Take off her clothes we must get her out of those things.”
 
Yuudai's face flushed instantly. He then blushed.
 
“This isn't the time to be embarrassed. She needs out of those clothes,” his mother ordered. She left the room to fetch more blankets.
 
Yuudai slowly undressed the girl. He took out her hair piece allowing her wet her to dry easier. He put her things on the floor near the bed. He lifted up the blankets and placed her down in them. Her skin was soft but cold. It was the first time he had seen a naked girl. It was also the first time a naked girl was in his bed. He started to pile the blankets on top of her.
 
His mother came into the room with more blankets and pillows. “Good,” she said noticing the girl's clothes on the floor. “We need to prop the girls' legs up.”
 
“What for?” Yuudai asked.
 
“Her legs were swollen. She may have the cold bite. We need to elevate them or the tissue could be damaged.”
 
Yuudai nodded. He walked to the end of the bed. He carefully reached under the blankets while his mother inserted pillows. He had helped his mother once before about two years ago. His father had found a teenage boy in the snow. The boy pulled through but was a spoiled brat. His mother understood towards the boy something he never understood why. The boy left after a month with him. He hated to admit it but he was sad to see the boy go. They had become sort of like brothers. They were the same age. The boy's name is Kane.
 
“So…what happens next?” Yuudai asked his mother. They had finished elevating the girl's feet and putting the blankets on her.
 
“Nothing. We await the doctor and hope she pulls through,” his mother had sadness in her eyes. “Her hair is like pure white snow.”
 
He touched his mother's shoulder trying to comfort her. “She will mother. She will.” His mother squeezed his hand. She smiled at him. Yuudai always knew his mother had a big heart.
 
They heard the door open. Daifu had returned. He walked into the room with an older gentleman in toe. This one was carrying a black bag. He was the town's doctor.
 
Dr. Dokuta walked over to the girl. He started checking her over. He lifted up the blanket checking her feet. “You have done well Reidou.” He put the blanked back down.
 
The old woman blushed. “Nothing more then I have been taught by you.”
 
“Well…” Yuudai asked after the doctor had started to comb through his bag.
 
“She will be fine in time. I believe,” the doctor said. “Though she will need constant care. I fear she has the chills. Her body temperature is to low. And I am worried about her legs getting the cold bite. Luckily,” he pulled out what he was searching for. It was medical herbs. “Reidou did the right treatment to start with. She still has a long way before she recovers.”
 
“The doctor gave the medical herbs to the Seken family. He informed then to admittedly give them to her when she wakes up. He wasn't sure when she would wake up. The doctor left the family after receiving payment. He would come back to see how she was doing later that night,” Ryuu read from the book. He sighed heavily. Kasumi wasn't hurt by the monsters that the book called Maws. But she wasn't out of the woods yet he still had many things to worry about. Luckily they were treating her right so far.
 
The next ink picture for Kasumi was of her lying in a bed. A man and woman looked over her from the door. He guessed that they were the boys' parents. Their son was by her side. Ryuu yearned to be the one by her side. He silently turned the page with a sad heart. He watched as each word appeared reading on.
 
“Akiko still showing no signs of life was touched brutally by a man while others waited their turn…”A tear rolled down Ryuu's cheek as he read her fate.
 
“When you are done save some for us,” joked a man that watched his body have his way with this girl.
 
The man on Akiko tore at her clothes while touching her body. He laughed. He put away his knife this girl wouldn't put up any fight.
 
“Don't you think it is strange that she doesn't react?” Another man spoke.
 
“No way,” replied a different man. “It is more fun this way. Girls can be such a pain when they try and fight. They are after all helpless.” The men chuckled at his comment.
 
“How helpless are the women really?”
 
“Very,” one man said laughing. He stopped realizing that he wasn't talking to one of his friends.
 
A man stood. He was tall and slender. He looked young. He has long grey hair. His eyes are purple eyes. He has in two golden ear rings on left ear. He is wearing blue armor with a white dress shirt and black pants underneath. At his left side was a katana. “So this is where you have all been hiding. Scum's like you.”
 
One of the men laughed. “Scum's?” He spoke laughing some more. He pulled out a blade. “An arrogant prick like you knows nothing.”
 
“I know it is wrong to take a girl,” He said while putting his right hand on his katana. “So hand over the girl and you won't get hurt.”
 
“Heh.” The man and the leader of the group got off the girl. “Five against one? I doubt that.” He pulled out his knife while the others followed his action.
 
One man came at the younger man. He swiftly dodged it pulling out his katana. Another man swung at him. He dodged that attack also. He ran forward easily missing the other two men's swings. Turning back he swung his blade to the left it hit one of the man's flesh causing a large cut across his chest. Blood dripped from the wound and the man fell to the ground. The man covered wound with his hand trying to stop the bleeding.
 
A man attacked him from behind. He dodged that attack while changing his swords hand. He brought his sword up striking him down. Two men had fallen there was only three left.
 
Two of the men were behind him while the leader picked up the girl in front of him. He was in the middle of it all. The leader put his blade to the girl's throat. It was a coward move. He was able to back up from the middle of it. He finally was against a wall.
 
“Put down your weapon,” the leader spat out. His voice was shaky. One man had taken out two of his men. His men weren't weak fouls like this man made them out to be.
 
“Heh,” the stranger said. He gave him a half smile. He rose up his sword over head.
 
The two men from behind him ran at him. He threw his sword at the man holding the girl. A second later he did a back flip. He narrowly escaped the men's' attack. With their backs turned to him while he hung in the air he pushed against them making them fall on the ground fast and hard. He landed on their backs.
 
His movements were fast. He pressed certain pressure points making them lose consciousness with his feet. His shoes were made out of a flimsy cloth and had hardily any soul. It made it easier for him to use them as a weapon. Walking across their backs he walked towards the girl.
 
She had slumped over while her capturer tried to pull out the stranger's katana out of his lower arm. His arm was held against the wall. He couldn't move.
 
The stranger walked up to the man. The man had fear in his eyes. He still tried to pull out the katana. The stranger reached down grabbing the knife the man had earlier. He had lost it when the katana struck his arm.
 
Turning it around the stranger struck the handle against the man's face. The man passed out from the blow. Only then did the stranger pull out the sword. The man dropped to the ground while blood started to form a pool around him from his wound.
 
The stranger pulled out a cloth. He wiped his katana with it. Once the blade was clean he put it back in its hilt.
 
He bent down once again. He lifted the girl up placing her on a shoulder with ease. He stepped over the men walking back down the alley. He pulled out a card from his pocket throwing it on one of the men.
 
The card explained who the men were. It also explained their crimes. It had two symbols on it explaining who was responsible. The symbols were K.L. which stood for the Konan Liberation. The stranger left carrying the girl his job there was done.
 
“The stranger carried the girl with him…” Ryuu said. He sighed with relief. Thankfully Akiko wasn't harmed. He wasn't sure what the K.L. was but they appeared to be good guys. He hoped that they were. The strange sensation still gnawed at him. He wanted to stop to figure out what it was but he couldn't put down the book. His friend's lives were in danger.
 
He studied Akiko ink drawing. This was the first one he couldn't tell which girl it was. She was thrown over the shoulder of a strong man. He turned the page. He didn't care to look at the man. He continued to read from the book learning his next friends fate.
 
“Takara wondered the desert for hours...”
 
Takara could feel the scorching sun prickling her skin with its rays. Her mouth was cotton dry. She felt dizzy and confused. Her head was pounding in her skull. She continued to walk aimlessly. She didn't know is she was walking in any certain direction. Everything looked the same.
 
She saw a little boy. He was bold but had unusually markings on his head. He was barely wearing anything. “You are not to far away,” he spoke to her. He pointed off into a direction. “This way priestess of Seiryuu.”
 
She turned in the direction he had pointed too. When she looked back he was gone. Was she starting to see things? Had it been a mirage? She didn't have much choice. With the little strength she had left she walked in the direction the boy had pointed in.
 
“Takara continued this time with a destination. Wither or not she would make it would depend on her own strength,” Ryuu read from the book. He sighed. He knew all the girls were strong but how strong did they have to be? Why did they have to enter this book? He glanced at his watch. Only an hour had passed but in the book hours have passed. The library would close in a few hours. He was due home along with his friends. How could he explain what happened?
 
It appeared the book worked differently. An hour had only pasted. But hours have passed in the book. It didn't tell the time so he could only guess a three to six hour ration. All he could do was continue to read hoping that his friends would find a way home.
 
Takara's ink drawing was much like the first. But this time it looked worse. It was as if the heat was getting to her. The drawings were so precise it scared Ryuu. He turned the page quickly. Watching as the fate of his next friend future words slowly appeared one by one.
 
“Moriko had searched for hours to no avail. She grew tired of searching. The city was by far too big for one person to search…”
 
Moriko sat on the ground. She sighed. She wasn't able to find her friends. This place was by far too big for her. She looked around where she was at. She was in another shopping district. Across the street or dirt path was a store filled with teenage girls. Her guess was that some handsome man worked there. Though this placed appeared to be Ancient China times hadn't really changed.
 
Many of the girls didn't stay for long. She guessed that they couldn't. They probably all had family and friends to go to. She sighed looking away. She was damn thirsty after walking for hours. She was about to glance at her watch until she heard a voice near her.
 
“Why hello there,” spoke a man.
 
Moriko looked up. The man smiled at her. It was the man from the plant shop. He was quite handsome close up. She understood why this man had drawn the girl's attention. He had long black hair. Though how close she was from him she could see it was a dark purple almost black colored hair. His eyes are the same color purple. He was wearing a black shirt over dark blue pants. He had an apron on of sorts. His right hand had on a black glove.
 
“Hello…” Moriko finally said.
 
The guy smiled again. “You looked rather sad. So, I decided to come over and give you this.” He held a dark purple flower in his hand. The petals also had yellow and specs of white and black.
 
She took the flower. “Thank you.” She said in a dry scratchy voice. She then coughed covering her mouth. The flower was quite beautiful.
 
“The flower is an airiba. It means faith and hope. I thought it was appropriate. Though I suppose you would rather have a glass of water,” the man said. He offered her his left hand to help her stand.
 
Moriko gladly accepted his hand. Once she touched it she felt something strange. Though he helped her to stand he quickly dropped her hand. She expected that he had felt it too.
 
The man was looking at his hand. “This way,” he told her. He then started rub the back of his hand with the glove on. For some reason it burned.
 
The man continued to rub it. For some reason he thought if he took of the glove it would glow. Why had the symbol reacted to this girl? Could she be the priestess? Could the legend be true? Could it be happening again? There were so many questions and no answer. He didn't need answers. The priestess has already come and went. The symbol was merely a birthmark. But it didn't explain his powers. He sighed.
 
“Is there something wrong?” The girl asked. He heard her scratchy voice. He looked at her out of the corner of his eye as they crossed the street. Her voice had a strange hint to it. Though it lacked water he wondered if she could sing. Her voice reminded him of the wind. Not the wind that had howled but the wind the rustles the trees or wipes through the chimes, a sweet melody.
 
“There isn't anything wrong,” He told her.
 
She noticed that he was looking at her. For the first time he blushed because of a girl. Turning his attention back to where he was he walked into the shop. He didn't know what he was thinking. He was thinking of a girl's voice when most men would be thinking of how they looked.
 
He walked inside the store. He could feel her presence behind him. He walked behind the counter over to the bucket of water. He placed a cup in it. The water was warm but it would suffice.
 
The young girl had stopped behind the counter. She looked around the store. There were a ton of flowers. How could a place like this be hidden in this town? There were so many vibrant colors of flowers here. The town was plan even more so compared to this. No wonder the girls flocked around here. Or was it because…
 
The young man finally turned around with the glass of water. It had to of been because of him. He was handsome. His eyes weren't his only best feature.
 
“Here you are,” he set the glass down on the counter.
 
He watched as she took the cup. His hand still burned. It was as if someone had put hot metal on it. He rubbed the back of his hand down by his side as she took a drink. She drank it all down. He smiled. He could now hear her voice.
 
Moriko set the glass down. She blushed. He was watching her. She didn't know what to do next.
 
“My deepest apologies,” the older man said. He stepped out from behind the counter. He bent down with his left hand over his chest. Once he rose he said, “My name is Matsu Kamimori. And what be your name?”
 
“My name…?” Moriko stumbled to find her words. She was the shiest of the four girls. She wasn't as strong as them either. The only boy who had ever talked to her was Ryuu. “My name is Moriko Tsuchi.”
 
“Moriko Tsuchi?” Matsu said taking a step back. His hand touched his face thinking. Her name was close to planet life like his. What could it mean? “Forest child of the Earth?”
 
“Yeah…that's correct.” She blushed she hated her name. She would have much rather of had one of her friends names.
 
“It's a lovely name.”
 
“I never thought so,” she looked away from him.
 
“But it is,” he said. He had taken a step towards her and lightly touched her face. He turned it towards himself. Her eyes were a dark blue like the ocean or the sky when night is approaching.
 
She blushed again. He released her. “I am sorry.” He was afraid he scared her.
 
She didn't say anything. But her blush faded. She blinked a few times. And he took a step back. “My name means Pine of the God Forest. So we are children of the forest.”
 
“I always hoped to see that forest,” she blushed realizing what she had said.
 
“So do I…” He said to her watching her. “Though for now I wish to hear you sing.”
 
“Sing? I…”
 
“Do you not sing?”
 
“Yeah…but…” He raised his eyebrow at her. She blurted out the first thing she could think of. “Can I go wash my face?”
 
He pointed to a small door to the side of the counter. It had a small symbol on the door. She walked over to it and entered. There wasn't much of anything in here. She was hoping to find a sink and toilet. But all there was a bucket on a stool in front of a mirror. It was a wash basin of sorts.
 
She looked in the mirror. She was a mess. Most of it probably happened when she awoke in the sand. Her white hair looked gray in parts and it annoyed her. She washed her face and hands. She used the towel by the wash basin to clean what she could. The water was now dirty. She had remembered seeing a well in town she would probably have to fill it up for him.
 
Matsu had been to kind to her. He had even given her first flower. She set it next to the wash basin. Airiba fragrant seamed romantic.
 
Looking at herself in the mirror she took out her pigtails. They felt childish with them in especially since she was near that man. She held them in her hand. Did she like Matsu? If her friends were here she would know what to do. A tear rolled down her cheek. She wiped it away. She had to be strong for her friends. She never was the strongest but this time she would be. She shoved the hair pieces into her book bag. She grabbed a hold of the brush like tool near the wash basin. She brushed some of the dirt and twigs out of her hair.
 
She set the brush down once she was finished. She hoped he didn't mind. She then gentle picked up her flower. Giving one last check in the mirror she walked out the door.
 
Matsu gasped as Moriko came out of the wash room. He covered his face to hide it. He could still feel the heat from his redness though. Her hair was actually white. It was more of a pure snow white. It was slightly dirty at the end. She didn't look like a child with her hair out of pigtails. She was very pretty.
 
“Matsu,” cried some of the younger girls that had just entered his shop. They visited his shop regularly. He was glad that they came for once. He had felt that they were more of a nuisance before this moment. He walked over to them talking about the flowers they asked about.
 
Moriko watched as Matsu worked. She wasn't sure of what to do. She should leave but he was to kind. Maybe he could help find her friends. So she watched him as he helped the customers waiting for them to be done. They liked to hog his attention. She could feel herself getting a little jealous.
 
She looked away. Her eyes landed on a tapestry. It had four large animals. One stood out to her the most. It was a tiger. She walked over to it. The color of the tiger couldn't be seen due to the tapestry being all over tan but she sure it was white. “A white tiger…” She placed a hand over her mouth studying the picture. It was like the tiger she had seen inside the museum.
 
Matsu looked up. He had heard Moriko say white tiger. She was busy studying the tapestry of the Four Gods. Could it mean that she knew about the four gods? Everyone knew about the four gods it wasn't a strange occurrence but for him it felt off. Could she be the priestess? It wasn't possible the priestesses had already come and went. Besides the tale of the Four Gods tells of the priestesses gathering each of their own seven seishi which happened over a millennium ago. The priestess was from a different place. He looked at Moriko clothes.
 
The priestess of Byakko studied the tapestry while her seishi watched her each of them not knowing their fate would forever intertwine. They also didn't realize the presence that of a menacing force watching them…” Ryuu read from the book. He frowned. He stared at the picture of ink with this one.
 
It appeared as each of the stories flipped back and forth there was an ink drawing. He saw the picture of Moriko similar like it was before. The man that was called her seishi with a kanji of lasso or bond marked on his right hand in it too. A black shadow figured stood over them watching them. He could see the flowers in the shop as if he was there. Ryuu turned the page.
 
“Akiko was carried over the shoulder of the strange man that rescued her…”
 
The man walked through the town. He didn't pay attention to the people that turned to look at him. He looked like a guard with his armor on. So no one stared for to long. They probably guessed that he carried a prisoner.
 
It was easy for him to walk around town though he made sure he stuck to the back streets as best as he could. It wouldn't be easy to take the girl to base if he ran into an actual guard. They were much more of a pain then he would like to deal with right now. They probably also would have taken advantage of this young girl he presumed.
 
Konan had become a crooked country. It started with the king on down. The Konan Liberation was established to help the people and to save this country from destruction. He was high in the ranking due to his talent and smarts.
 
All the trouble for Konan started after the priestess of Suzaku made her wish. The country of Kutou protected by the god Seiryuu was destroyed at that time. The Kings got greedy as all men did. He heard stories of the great King Hotohori and his son and his grandson but it ended there.
 
Konan had become a wicked place. He bet soon there would be war with either the countries of Hokan or Kutou. Kutou was easier to invade being it was right next to Konan. Hokan had resources though. It was also the biggest of the four countries of the gods also. It looks very appealing for a military stand point.
 
He believed that Konan would invade Sailo before it would invade Hokan due to its location. There wasn't a straight path through. Mt. Taikyoku was in the middle of the countries. Once you went there no one returned so it is said. He feared that the King of Konan would send people to invade the other countries. There would be many wasteful deaths.
 
It was bad enough people were starving to death in Konan. Or they were being sentenced to death for simple crimes. The king would now add in a war. He sighed. Konan Liberation was getting more people to commit to their purpose.
 
He walked through the doors of a local bar. The bar tender nodded his head three times at him. He took note of this. It was an important part to get down to the hidden underground Konan Liberation camp. He was going to the main part. Not many were allowed in. The number was less then ten.
 
There were several entrances but this one was the closest to where he had found the girl. He walked through the bar and up the stairs. This place was the whore's slept with customers. To the customers it looked like he was going to do the same.
 
It was a simple set up but it was highly smart. They could hide it well here. There were other establishments like this one but this one he had a hand in setting up.
 
He walked down to the third door. He opened it then shut it. The room had a bed in it other then that it was empty. Light spilled in from the windows. He walked to the small closet that each room offered.
 
He placed his hand against the back of the closet. His hand made the hidden door slide open. It slide into the wall. There was a latter to go down below with a small ledge. He stood on the ledge. He replaced the door. He jumped down instead of using the latter. It would be to annoying to use the latter with the girl on his shoulder.
 
The place was set up with five possible entrances to the underground headquarters base. Everyday it was a different number. Everyday the other hidden doors were closed off all except two. Each one went to their own room. Each had a separate path to take. It might seam strange that it was set up this way or a little over kill but they had too. It meant death if you were caught to be part of the Konan Liberation. He had lost many companions this way. He never considered them friends just companions.
 
He was of a higher rank. So he took the path to the main headquarters. The room he had descended down too was bare like all the other rooms. He landed on his feet. The bottom of his feat throbbed but he ignored it. He walked to the door and opened it.
 
He walked down the hallway. It was lit by candle light. He opened the door at the end of the hall. This room was much like the first room he dropped down into but it had two extra doors and no hole in the ceiling with a ladder.
 
He walked to the middle door. He knew this path well to headquarters. He had used them all. This one would lead downwards. It would be at least another five minutes until he got there.
 
He went through several doors along his path until his estimated time was over. It was a winding trail. Most would get lost or confused. He remembered the first time he came down here alone. He had followed the leader down but after that he was alone. He easily got lost. It took him hours to find the way. He got scolded by the leader. He probably will for bringing her here also.
 
He entered the headquarters of the Konan League. Aki Kusachi the leader was busy whispering to one of the commanders. One he knew nothing about. He didn't even pay attention to what that man looked like. That was how it was set up. If you get caught you really can't say anything. Most would give their lives for their cause anyway.
 
This room at least had a bed, a desk with its own chair, and a chair for a guest to sit in. It was modest set up. But that was how Aki liked to live. He couldn't take extra when people would starve.
 
As he entered Aki looked up. He then went back to work. Aki had short midnight blue hair that appeared black. His hair was spiked all over. He also has bangs. He has grey eyes that always appeared stern. He was wearing his normal outfit. It was a light weight, dark blue armor that covered his chest, his wrists to his elbows, his shoulders, and his knee to boots. He is wearing mid length black boots. He had on a long sleeved white shirt and dark blue pants underneath the armor. Around his neck was a long green muffler. His body was slender compared to most of the men he had met but it didn't matter. Aki Kusachi could fight anyone and more then likely beat them all.
 
Aki finished up with the other commander. Once the commander left he shook his head. “What are you doing, Kana?”
 
Kana said nothing. It was the first time the leader had said their name since he was made a commander. He knew he was in trouble. Deep trouble.
 
“You know the rules. Explain,” Aki barked at him.
 
“I ran into some trouble. She was there. I thought it was best to bring her with me.”
 
“You thought?”
 
“At the time it seamed appropriate.”
 
“Why didn't you leave her in one of the whore rooms?”
 
“And leave her to defend for herself? Isn't that what not Konan Liberation is about?”
 
Aki's features softened a little. But he was still irritated. “You could have jeopardized this whole operation. Thousands could die because of your actions.”
 
“Doubtful,” Kana said.
 
Aki gave him a strange look.
 
Kana walked over to the bed and set the girl down on it. She didn't do anything. Her eyes were dead. He propped her up. Then with his hand he lightly pushed on her. She fell over. “It is actually quite fun doing this.”
 
Aki walked over to the girl and bent down to get a look at her. “Hmmm…broken,” he muttered.
 
“Broken?”
 
“Yeah. Mentally not physically. I have heard of a case like this but nothing this bad. Soldiers of war type of thing.”
 
“I doubt she is a soldier…”
 
“Her outfit is strange,” Aki reached out and touched the girl. His symbol on his forehead burned. “Ah…” He screamed grabbing his forehead. It wasn't something he expected.
 
“What's the matter Leader?”
 
“Nothing…I am fine.” He couldn't turn around to his commander his symbol was probably glowing like it did when he fought. Who was this girl? Why did his symbol react to her? Was it really reacting to her? What was going on? It only lit when he was fighting.
 
Kana stared at the Leader. But he was busy with the girl. It gave him the opportunity to rub his neck. It ached there. Ever since his fight with those men. “So…what are you going to do with the girl?”
 
“I don't know…”
 
“What are your orders?”
 
“Hold on a second…” He stroked the girls head. He lightly shifted her possession and covered her up with the blanket. He would have to deal with her later. He waited until the glowing on his forehead stopped. This pain he would remember.
 
“She is rather pretty isn't she?” Aki said then standing up.
 
“If you like that sort of thing…” Kana said.
 
Aki walked over to the desk. “That sort of thing?”
 
“Easy to take advantage of.”
 
“Oh so you are a gentlemen then, Kana?”
 
“Heh,” he said.
 
“Her hair is different huh?”
 
Kana raised his eyebrow at the leader trying to hint at what he was getting at. He looked over at the girl.
 
“Long raven black hair with silver streaks. Her eyes are a deep blue sea green almost turquoise.”
 
“So what's your point?”
 
“Not normal.”
 
Kana walked to the desk. He looked at the leader. “And your hair is? It's midnight blue not black right?”
 
For a second there Aki blushed. “Yeah…Your hair is grey. Like an old man.” He smirked.
 
“That's my point. People are different.”
 
“But two colored different?”
 
“Maybe she got scared and parts of her hair turned white.”
 
“It's sliver.”
 
“I didn't get a good look at it,” Kana stepped back and sat down in the chair. He relaxed with his arms on the back of his head. “She could have used berries or something, you know.”
 
“Maybe,” Aki said. “It's unique isn't it?”
 
“You know how the women are. They all want to stand out.”
 
Aki knew well how women were like, all to well. He had a secret he couldn't tell anyone. No one would guess it anyway. No one had so far.
 
“Yeah…” He finally said. He reached down and picked up some papers. “How did your mission go?”
 
“Fine. I secured the product before I ran into that trouble.”
 
“Trouble? I think you welcome it,” Aki said with a smile. He watched as Kana give off a handsome cocky grin.
 
“Maybe I do?”
 
“Leave a card?”
 
“Of course. Though the point of it is lost.”
 
“The point of it?”
 
“To leave a card.”
 
“Meaning?”
 
“The soldiers take it and no one knows what happens.”
 
“Is that what you think?”
 
“That's what we all think.”
 
Aki smiled. “Listen to the town's people and you wouldn't think so.”
 
“Heh...” He looked at Aki hoping for him to explain more but the man didn't. That was how the Leader was. “So what is my next mission?”
 
“Down to business as always.”
 
Kana nodded.
 
“I have it right here,” Aki held up a sheet of paper.
 
“The conversation continued to progress as the Priestess of Suzaku stayed in her lost state of mind,” Ryuu read from the book. He frowned. Akiko was broken. He wasn't sure what could help her. Maybe she was just in a different state of mind.
 
“Akiko…” he murmured at he stared at her ink picture. She was lying in a bed much like Kasumi was last. But two men sat pouring over a desk not paying any attention to her. He turned the page.
 
“Takara's wondering finally came to an end but at a price…” Ryuu read out load from a book. He frowned. It's as if the book knew their fate or had a hand in it making it worse.
 
Takara could finally see a town in the distance. She hoped that it wasn't a marriage. She had seen something odd earlier. She had tried drinking sand making her throat even drier.
 
She walked towards the image. She stumbled and fell to the ground. She laid there for a while. He body was exhausted from the heat. She wasn't sure how much more she could take. She slowly picked herself up. The sand that clung to her skin bothered her. It scratched the surface of her burns. She wiped it of the best she could.
 
She continued her path towards the town. Everything was same here as it was in the beginning. It was just sand with dunes. It had a minimal plant life which ranged from various forums of cacti to simple desert trees, shrubs, and grass, and no animal life at least not yet.
 
It was one sand dune left until Takara was in reach of the town. She stumbled but didn't fall this time. She could see a well outside of town. She moved towards it. She wasn't paying attention to anything else. She reached the wooden well. She placed her hand on the ledge.
 
A hand grabbed her and spun her around. It was a dirty old man around her father's age. He smelled of cigarettes, rotten eggs, and saké. His hair is unkempt and greasy. He is missing several teeth. He has whiskers.
 
Several men laughed as he held her several inches from the ground by her arm. She was too weak to fight. “This looks tasty,” he said. He took a drink of the flask he had.
 
The men around him laughed. He smiled dropping her. She fell to the ground. “A little to much heat…”
 
He bent down next to her. “This will help you my fair lady.” He took the flask he had and put it to her lips. “This will help you baby.” When she refused to take it he grabbed her head and forced her head back. He poured the contents of the flask over her mouth until she took some.
 
“That's a good girl,” another man said. He laughed. He wasn't any better then the guy who was giving her the liquid.
 
The contents of the flask burned in Takara's mouth. It was saké. She coughed but more was forced in. She could hear the men's laughter but she couldn't stop them. She felt too weak. The drink wasn't right for her heatstroke. She felt dizzy and dazed. She was about to pace out.
 
The man stopped pouring her the drink. He slapped her across the face. “Come on baby don't go to sleep. You will want what we have next for you.”
 
“Takara was at the mercy of the men. She was too weak to fight them off…” Ryuu read from the book.
 
“Takara,” he whispered. Another tear rolled down his cheek. He had never felt so helpless.
 
Takara was in immediate danger like Kasumi. Akiko was incoherent. Moriko was being threatened. It was too much for him. He could do nothing.
 
The thought that had been plaguing his mind now came to him. He had to find out about the book. He had to know where it came from and why it was here. He remembered that there were pervious priestesses maybe they were still alive today.
 
He sat up holding the book in his hand. He walked towards the door. The library would close in less then an hour. He shut the door and turned off the light. He went back to his book bag. He removed the flashlight from one of the compartments. He turned it on. For now he would have to read from the book.
 
He looked at the book from cover to cover noticing a small name on one of the leather bound, Einosuke Okuda. That person had to of been the creator of the book. He would have to find out all he could about that person. He hoped his laptop could connect to the wireless from where he was at.
 
Ryuu sighed. He opened the page to where he had left off in the story. He saw the ink drawing of Takara. He couldn't look at last time. She was being held up by her arm the man who gave her the drink. He could only see the back head of that man but knew what he looked like in his mind. He hated that man. He turned the page unwilling.
 
“The fate of one of the priestesses would come to an end…” Ryuu read from the book. His hand quivered. One of his friends was going to die…