Fushigi Yuugi Fan Fiction ❯ The Genbu Gems ❯ The Lady of the Legend ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Genbu Gems
By Taelia
 
 
Two hundred years previous of the Suzaku no Miko, Miaka, and the Seiryuu no Miko, Yui, and seventy years previous of the Byakko no Miko, Suzuno, there existed a priestess of incredible power. She was known in the Shi Jin Ten Chi Sho as the Genbu no Miko. She was said to be a young girl of fifteen, transported into the land of Hokkan. With eyes of deepest black and hair of chestnut brown, it was also said that she captured the hearts of all of her Genbu Shichiseishi. However, there was only one that captured hers.
 
This is the forgotten tale of that legendary Genbu no Miko,
 
Takiko Okuda.
 
Prologue:
The Lady of the Legend
 
Takiko Okuda was an ordinary fifteen-year-old girl with jet black eyes, seemingly empty but full of life, and chestnut brown hair always tied up in one ponytail that hung behind her, seemingly flying when she ran into the open arms of her father, Einosuke Okuda, right after her first day in junior high school. Her eyes were bright and happy as she told her father whatever that had happened to hear minutes earlier before they left for their home. Einosuke smiled at his daughter, glad that she had made new friends, and he was also happy that his daughter had been brought out of her tight shell.
 
Ever since Takiko's mother, Kaze Okuda, had died two years previous, the girl was such in a state of shock; she'd locked herself in her own room for two weeks, thriving on the air that flew inside through her open window. Einosuke had worried for those two weeks, he himself forgetting to eat and drink. When she'd opened the door and let herself out, Einosuke was there, tears dripping from his eyes: Obviously, he'd thought that she'd already died from isolation from food and drink. However, she'd survived those two weeks without food and drink, and Einosuke had never been any happier - nor had he been any worried.
 
"Daijobu, Otou-sama," Takiko had said as her father embraced her as if there were no tomorrow, "Daijobu."
 
"Don't ever scare me like that again, Takiko!" he had replied sharply. "Don't you ever!"
 
"I - Otou-sama, I promise," Takiko had answered.
 
- x - x - x -
 
"Otou-sama," Takiko questioned, staring up at her father's face. "How was the exhibition in China?"
 
"Wonderful, my dear," Einosuke said, "and in fact, I have a present for you." He rummaged in his bag and pulled out a worn out book with a red cover, and on the spine, Takiko translated, "'The Universe of the Four Gods'?"
 
Einosuke smiled. Takiko's lessons were helping. "Yes, dear," he replied. "It's rumored in China to have magical powers, but those rumors - so I've been told - haven't been proved yet."
 
"What sort of magical powers, Otou-sama?" Takiko asked, her eyes never leaving her father's face.
 
"That I haven't found out yet, my dear," Einosuke responded.
 
"May I see the book?" Takiko inquired, her hand already stretched out to reach the book.
 
"Of course," Einosuke smiled, handing the book to his daughter.
 
"This is the story of a girl who had her wishes granted, by summoning the beast-god Genbu," Takiko read, already smiling at the book's introduction. "She was given three wishes, and she had seven guardians. Whoever reads this book from the beginning to the end shall be granted—"
 
And before she could finish whatever she was reading, a bright green light erupted from the book itself, and within moments, Takiko was gone, leaving the book once again in the care of Einosuke Okuda, who was frantic, searching for his daughter.
 
- x - x - x -
 
Somewhere, in a different realm at a different time, Takiko Okuda had landed on an earthy ground, and dust flew around her. It had a cold climate here - Wherever 'here' is, Takiko thought - but the grasslands around were as green as they were, perhaps in the more fertile-looking parts of this land - again, she reminded herself, wherever 'this land' is. As she pulled herself up, she looked around and noticed the strange looks people were giving her - or rather, her clothes. It was obvious that this couldn't be Japan anymore, seeing the way that these people dressed, but, given the fact that she had nowhere to go and knew nobody here, it was also obvious she didn't know where this was.
 
"Excuse me, Miss," a voice suddenly asked behind her, and she nearly screamed. The voice turned to the others, and then said, "Don't worry, she's with me."
 
The crowds dispersed, and then Takiko turned quickly to the voice's source. He was a dashing young man with silver-gray hair and what intrigued Takiko the most was that there was an eye patch over his right eye. His other eye was staring quizzically at her, and then - as if it were the first time he noticed - continued, "You aren't from around here, are you?"
 
Takiko was hesitant, but murmured, "No."
 
"I see." The man tilted his head at her, and then, "May I know your name?"
 
She may be the one we have been waiting for all this time, the young man thought, and prayed that it was indeed her with the power of Genbu.
 
"T - Takiko," she answered, "Takiko Okuda."
 
"Then, Miss Okuda, I am Etmato Chen, known here also as Hikitsu."
 
"Well, Hikitsu," Takiko began, feeling a bit safer, "will you please tell me where I am?"
 
Hikitsu smiled, "In Hokkan to the North."
 
"Hokkan?" The unfamiliar place's name rolled off her tongue and she closed her eyes, Hokkan, to the North. That still doesn't get me anywhere.
 
Well, this is not getting anywhere, Hikitsu thought, staring at Takiko, that same quizzical look staring her down. There is an energy stream flowing from her body, but so does every other person here in Hokkan. Then again, there was that green light…
 
"Miss Okuda, do you know how you came across Hokkan?"
 
Takiko shook her head. "I did remember opening a book - Shi Jin Ten Chi Sho, I think it was - and then I suddenly found myself here."
 
That proves it. "Genbu no Miko…"
 
"I beg your pardon?"
 
"You are the Genbu no Miko," Hikitsu replied eloquently, though his voice was giving away hints of awe and instant respect. "When one opens the Shi Jin Ten Chi Sho and finally ends up within here, she is considered as a Priestess of a quadrant-god. If you wish, I may take you to the Emperor, and then start your journey from there."
 
"My journey," Takiko queried, "what journey?"
 
"To find the other Genbu Shichiseishi of course," Hikitsu responded.
 
"Hold on." Takiko's mind was constantly working. He just said 'the other Genbu Shichiseishi'; does that mean…? "Are you a Genbu Shichiseishi?"
 
Hikitsu nodded, "As of the Genbu Shichiseishi, it is my duty to protect the Genbu no Miko - you - at all costs, even if it means either sacrificing my life or another's in the process. As the course of destiny, whatever happens just happens, and by - if not, coincidence - luck you entered this world right when the Kutou Army was about to strike."
 
"Kutou?"
 
"The army to the East. There are four main - say 'countries.' Kutou to the East, Hokkan to the North, Konan to the South, and Sairou to the West, and each protected by a quadrant-god, Seiryuu to Kutou, Genbu to Hokkan, Suzaku to Konan, and Byakko to Sairou."
 
"About taking me to the Emperor and then beginning my 'journey,'" Takiko remembered, "can we do that now?"
 
- x - x - x -
 
Eager to help the endangered land of Hokkan, the newly found Genbu no Miko, Takiko Okuda, takes the responsibility to find the other six Genbu Shichiseishi before the Kutou Army annihilates Hokkan.
 
Next time: "General"
 
These forced meetings may sometimes bring good fortune to those who least expect it…