Fushigi Yuugi Fan Fiction ❯ The Universe of the Four Gods ❯ Hidden Feelings ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
A young man with fiery red hair and matching scarlet eyes walks around the inner halls of the Emperor’s palace in Konan, head cupped in his raised hands. A stiff breeze blew through the open hallway, swirling around the diamond fan attached by a small belt to Tasuke’s back. His gaze was averted towards the soft blue sky. A few wispy clouds obscured the horizon. “Man this stinks. We haven’t been doing much besides sitting around waiting for Miaka.” He closes his eyes at the thought of the young smiling Priestess. “Funny, that such an important fate should belong to such a young, clumsy girl,” he sighs in exasperation. A sudden comment interrupts his thoughts.

“Clumsy girl?” It was inquisitive, along with a hint of amusement. Tasuke’s eyes fly open, his arms falling to his sides in an alert position. A startled expression was on his features, much like that of a young child who’s just been caught with his hand in the cookie jar. Tamahome stands before Tasuke with a broad grin, hands resting on his hips. He was leaning forward slightly, as if Tasuke’s words were something he was dying to hear.

“Hey don’t sneak up on me like that!” Tasuke snaps, jutting forward his lower lip bashfully as he crosses his arms over his chest and glances away from Tamahome. He acted very interested in glancing towards the pond located in the center of the palace courtyard. A mere wood railing separated Tasuke from the lush meadow surrounding the shimmering pond. Blinking in surprise, Tasuke notices Chichiri perched upon a large boulder surrounding the pond, holding a fishing rod. The end of the rod was submerged beneath the water, and swished to and fro to the rhythm of the breeze.

Before Tasuke knew what was happening, Tamahome had moved swiftly forward and placed one arm around the young man’s shoulder. The other he was using to pinch and pull Tasuke’s cheek.

“Come on now, don’t be such a ninny! Who is this clumsy girl you’re talking about?” Tamahome’s voice was airy and teasing, and he grins cheekily at Tasuke. Tasuke slaps Tamahome’s arms away, his own arms held rigidly against his sides.

“None of your business!” he retorts in a voice that said otherwise. Tamahome, seemingly admitting defeat, lets his chin rest against his chest, eyes closed in a defeated look. “And good riddance!” Tasuke announces, turning away from Tamahome with his arms still crossed over his chest once more. Once again, Tamahome bounds forward, this time using both his hands to pluck at his cheeks.

“Tell me tell me tell me tell me!” Tamahome chants, pulling and twisting the boy’s cheeks every which way. A passing Nuriko stops a moment to peer at the two young men. Both were about 17 years of age, so she just suspected boys at that age were prone to doing stupid things.

“Men,” she says dismissively, closing her eyes before turning and striding back towards the main hall. Tasuke waves his arms about frantically, eyes wide.

“Hey let go of me!” he bellows, getting a wicked cackle from Tamahome in response. The two continue to bicker a few more moments, before they start whacking each other. After a few moments of their play fight, Tasuke removes his fan and smacks it flat against Tamahome’s head. The other boy stops, a sheepish look on his features. Tasuke’s eyes were closed in a matter of fact kind of way.

“For your information, senior nosy, I was talking about Miaka.” His fan felt suddenly very light. One eye peeking open, Tasuke nearly leaps out of his skin at the sight of Tamahome so close. Their noses were practically touching. “Sheesh! Getting a little close, don’t ya think?” he says with a backward jerk, his hand holding the fan suspended in mid air. Tamahome’s features were hard and serious.

“Now why would you be talking about Miaka?” There was a sharp edge to his voice. Tasuke takes his time in placing the fan against his back, eyes still closed.

“Why wouldn’t I be?” he shoots back, opening one eye to see Tamahome’s reaction. The man hadn’t moved at all. His features were hard, like stone, and he was showing just as much expression as the inadament object.

Suddenly Tamahome’s features brighten as he slaps Tasuke on the back in a friendly manner. All the same, Tasuke’s hands fall limply to his side, head pitched slightly forward in a dazed way. “That’s alright, no need to worry! It’s not like you like her or anything!” he announces with a triumphant chuckle, that didn’t seem all too self assured. Tasuke simply closes one eye in a sly response, a closed lipped smile on his features. Just then, a flash of red appears just above their heads. Tamahome stumbles backwards and stares hopefully towards the light, while Tasuke takes a step back and raises a hand to shield his eyes from the intense light.

After a moment, it fades. Taking in a deep breath, Tasuke lets his arm down slowly, squinting out at the world. Miaka had appeared out of thin air, it had seemed, and was perched on Tamahome’s back with a bright grin. A heavy backpack was on her shoulders, and it rested heavily on Tamahome’s rear end. Tasuke lets his arm fall fully to his side, letting out a booming laugh.

“Tasuke!” Miaka cries cheerfully, before the smile fades and a blank look crosses her features. “What’s so funny?”

“Miakaaa.” Tamahome’s pleading voice squeaks from beneath the Priestess. Blinking in surprise, Miaka glances down with a finger to her chin thoughtfully.

“Tamahome!” Spotting Tamahome, Miaka leaps to her feet as best she can, flailing her arms to keep her balance. Instinctively, Tasuke steps forward to steady her. Miaka falls against him, still flailing her arms. Tasuke grabs onto her backpack and hoists it up, watching her in exasperation.

“You can stop now,” he mutters, eyes narrowed in exasperation to match his tone. Halting suddenly, Miaka glances over her shoulder at him before grinning brightly, eyes half closed.

“Oh, right! Thanks Tasuke.” Tasuke offers her a smile and nods in response. Tamahome was just rising to his feet, one hand placed on his head as he winces.

“Hello to you too, Miaka.” There was a hurt tone in his voice. Tasuke glances up at Tamahome, just in time to see Miaka slip out of the backpack straps and rush over to him.

“Oh Tamahome! I’m so glad to be back!” she cries as she cannons herself against him, wrapping her delicate arms about his robust chest. Tamahome smiles tenderly down at Miaka, one arm placed around the curve of her back while the other rests comfortably atop her head.

“I’m glad to have you back, too,” he replies in a gentle voice. Miaka takes a step back, raising her head up to gaze at Tamahome. Her gaze wavered. A small smile was on Tamahome’s lips. A sigh parting his lips, Tasuke turns, slinging the backpack over his shoulder.

“I can see when I’m not needed,” he announces quite loudly, eyes closed once more. There came no response from the two. Sighing once more, this time with an intentional loudness, Tasuke stomps off down the hall, turning into one of the rooms to drop off Miaka’s bags. She didn’t notice. She was too busy exulting in the feel of Tamahome’s lips against her own and the warmth of his embrace.

‘Oh my love.’