Fushigi Yuugi Fan Fiction ❯ The Universe of the Four Gods ❯ Opposing Sides ( Chapter 13 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Lacking the strength to continue standing, Tasuke falls to his hands and knees, staring blankly at the ground. His gaze catches on something bright and shimmering a few paces from his hunched form. Glancing up swiftly, Tasuke reaches out a shaky hand, resting his palm on top of the still warm pendent. Gaze wavering in sadness, Tasuke’s hands clench around Zoku’s necklace, as he raises himself up onto his knees.

“Zoku…” he murmurs to himself. The name itself brings him sorrow. Why did she go with the general? He had barely met her…but felt as if he’d known her forever. His eyes flash angrily, as he turns towards Chiriko. “What did you think you were doing?” Tasuke snaps. The boy returns his angry glare with a calm expression.

“She is obviously a spy for Nakago. And besides, I was helping you and Chichiri. I distracted her by playing my flute, so she couldn’t hurt you anymore, but her powers were still too great. So I hurt her. The pain became overwhelming, so she had to stop using her magic.” The boy shrugs. “It’s as simple as that.” The sad look in his eyes obviously states he regrets what he did to Zoku.

Rising to his feet, Tasuke whirls and stalks towards the boy. Chiriko doesn’t even flinch as Tasuke grabs him by the collar. “It’s not just as simple as that, you idiot! She wasn’t trying to hurt us!” Tasuke growls peevishly. Mitsukake, who’d strode over to Chichiri to heal him, holds up the wizard’s wounded arm.

“Oh really,” he asks in a soft tone. Tasuke glances over. The wound is swollen and ugly, accompanied by a few bruises. Blood trickles from the gash. Releasing Chiriko, Tasuke gives his head a few curt shakes.

“She didn’t do that. Nakago did.” Tasuke’s hands clench into fists. ‘It was him! He was the one who turned Zoku against us.’ Seeing Tasuke’s anger, Chichiri frowns.

“Sorry to say this, man, but it was her, ya know. She has incredible spiritual power, and with it she was suffocating us, ya know? Didn’t you feel that?” Chichiri asks in a concerned voice. Glancing over at Mitsukake and Chichiri, Tasuke flicks aside a few auburn bangs. The slippery feel of his blood cools his finger tips. The memory of Nakago, using his powers to toss him against the wall, comes to mind. Zoku had tried to help him. To save him.

“If I can, I promise to protect you!” Her silvery voice rings through his mind. Again he shakes his head. “She wasn’t-“

“What happened here?” Miaka cries as she dashes into the room. Tamahome strides in after her, eyes widening at the sight that beholds him. Behind Tamahome comes Nuriko. She places a sleeved hand to her lips to hide her gasp. Slightly ashamed, Chichiri glances away from Miaka as Mitsukake heals his arm, totally focused on the wound without looking up at the Priestess. Chiriko folds his hands at his waist and looks down at the floor.

Only Tasuke has the courage to face the Priestess. Slowly, he turns his head to watch her for a moment. A warm feeling swells in his chest, but he quickly batters it down. ‘Her heart is sworn to Tamahome’

“Zoku is gone,” Tasuke states simply. Miaka stops suddenly, for she had been walking towards the center of the room; the priestess clenches a hand to her chest.

“What?! Why?” she asks in desperation. Tasuke opens his mouth to respond, but Mitsukake beats him to it.

“Turns out she’s a spy for Nakago. Nearly killed Tasuke and Chichiri,” the healer gestures towards Tasuke and Chichiri. Chichiri grins sheepishly, but Tasuke’s hands clench into fists.

“She is not a spy!” he nearly roars. Back rigid, he turns and stalks from the room. The entire group turns to watch him leave, though none with more worry than Miaka.