Gargoyles Fan Fiction ❯ Day and Night ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Gargoyles: Day and Night
Two

The stately manor that stood not far from New York city could almost be called a castle, the turrets and silouette looking almost like something lifted from a bygone age. Within a grey haired man sat at his desk in his library, studying certain documents as he gently stroked his neatly trimmed beard.

“Mr Macduff,” the rather seedy looking investigator handed over the files, “here’s my report on Ms. Destine’s activities.”

“Thank you, Mr. Cheung,” Macbeth nodded, taking the documents. He smiled slightly, “Is this a new face?”

Terry Cheung nodded as the black haired young man pointed to a picture, “Her name is Alicia Sevarius.” He smiled grimly, “Yes, related to the infamous Anton Sevarius. I think Ms. Destine may have... plans for her?”

“A lever for access to Anton’s technology?” Macbeth mused aloud as he rose, his long coat flowing around him, “Or something else?”

“It also seems that Destine has broken from her usual pattern of behavior with this assistant,” Terry noted.

“Oh?” Macbeth looked curious.

“Taking her out to lunch and occasionally breakfast,” Terry checked his notes, “I can’t think of any assistant she socialized with before.”

“Dominique never shows such weakness,” Macbeth shook his head, “you can be sure she has something else in mind for the girl.”

“Well,” Terry said briskly, “that finishes my report.”

“Take the envelope on my desk,” Macbeth said as he stood by the window, “your pay and a bonus is within.” As the man collected his pay and hurried off Macbeth looked thoughtful, “However, whatever Demona is up to, I may be able to use the distraction to my advantage....”

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

“Mrs Xanatos,” Alicia rose from her desk as she respectfully greeted the striking orange haired woman, “Is Ms Destine expecting....?”

“Call me Fox, please,” Fox smiled, her expression remarkably gentle, even with the blue fox head tattoo over her eye, “whenever I hear Mrs Xanatos I look for David’s mother.”

“Fox, then,” Alicia smiled slightly as she continued to firmly ask, “do you have a appointment, ma’am?” With that she moved in Fox’s way, meeting the woman’s steely glance with one of her own.

“You’re pretty good at guarding your mistress’ sanctuary,” Fox noted after a moment, “most assistants would be bowled over.” She smiled suddenly, “Want a job? I bet I can match anything she’d offer....”

“No, thanks I....” Alicia started.

“Stop trying to poach my staff, Fox,” Dominique said firmly, the redhead emerging from her office with a forceful stride. “Thanks for handling her until I finished the teleconference,” she smiled at Alicia before facing Fox, “I’ll see you now.”

“Keep my offer in mind,” Fox said as she strode by, her black business wear hugging her shapely body.

Within the office Dominique firmly shut the sound proofed door as she said coldly, “What do you and Xanatos want?”

Fox sat down uninvited, the woman’s manner suddenly going from near flirtatious to serious. “As you no doubt know Demona, David and I have established a truce with the Manhattan Gargoyle clan,” she began.

Demona narrowed her eyes a bit as she agreed, “Since Goliath helped fight off Oberon and save your son.”

“Precisely,” Fox nodded. She smiled wryly, “I’m even trying to win back Lexington’s trust, though it’s been hard....”

Demona cut her off as she forcefully asked her, “What does this all have to do with me?”

Fox’s expression remained mild as she said, “Two things, then. Firstly, we will be VERY upset if you attempt any kind of hostile action against the gargoyles or their home, second, we would strongly urge you to cease your feud with the clan, too.”

“Are you insane?” Demona growled, “Goliath and his clan are my enemies!”

“Do you know how many gargoyles there are left?” Fox asked suddenly. Not waiting for a answer she continued, “David has been looking... so far all he has found have been clans in London, South America and here.”

“Your point?” Demona asked.

“How many gargoyles do you need for a breeding population? How many can you lose before inbreeding kills your kind?” Fox asked seriously, “You could be over the limit already, and you cannot afford to lose any more.”

Demona sat back, her expression troubled as she said, “I’ll... consider it.”

Fox left quietly, the young woman stopping to thank Alicia before heading back to Xanatos’ Aerie. Giving her employer a few moments Alicia went for some coffee, then knocked on the still closed door as she called, “Ma’am, would you like a coffee?”

Demona was startled from her grim thoughts, sitting up as she brought her expressions under control. “Come in,” she called, watching with some amusement as Alicia used her shapely hip to force the door open then carried in the cup and a plate of cinnamon rolls.

“I brought you a snack,” Alicia added as she sat the rolls down. On one of their recent lunch trips Alicia had gotten her boss to try the sweet treats, and Dominique had discovered she liked them a lot.

“My greatest weakness,” Dominique smiled wryly as she grabbed one, taking a bite and savoring the flavor.

“You looked rather grim when I came in,” Alicia said after a moment, perching on the edge of her desk, “did Mrs. Xanatos upset you?”

“Something like that,” Dominique conceded, debating what to tell the girl. “Some old family business she needed to bring up.”

“I’m sorry,” Alicia said gently, reaching out and putting a hand over Dominique’s.

Demona felt a odd thrill as Alicia touched her, startled by the sensation of skin on skin. For years she had known only blows, then recently felt the false touches of fake love from both Thailog and Macbeth. This was different, a sweeter feeling as the girl looked up so innocently into her eyes.

“Ma’am?” Alicia drew back her hand nervously.

Gracefully Dominique reached out, cradling those fingers in her own. “It’s all right,” she smiled, “in fact, I just had a idea. How’s my schedule for this afternoon?”

“Fairly light,” Alicia rummaged through her memory, “only a meeting with a Pack Studios representative on our participation in Pack 2.0.”

“Then let’s grab some lunch,” Dominique grinned, “you can tell me more about that Gargoyle you seem so hung up about.”

Alicia blushed as she hopped down from her seat on the side of the desk and followed her boss, “I am NOT hung up.” She paused, “I admire her, though....”

0o0o0o0o0o0o0

Macbeth watched covertly as the two women left Nightstone enterprises, using a device similar to a directional microphone to listen to them talk. He followed through a cheerful lunch, listening with a perplexed expression as they chatted cheerfully and Demona showed no signs of her usual hatred of men.

‘Well, except when the waiter tried to flirt with her companion,’ Macbeth thought as he drank a coffee in a nearby café.

Macbeth recalled his own romance with ‘Dominique’ and had to admit their conversation had never been as relaxed as these two’s. Dominique seemed to hang on Alicia’s words, while the smaller blonde seemed deeply taken of her companion. They almost reminded him of long lost soulmates, reunited once more.

‘I don’t know what’s going on,’ Macbeth conceded, ‘but it clearly isn’t one of Demona’s usual plots.’ Silently he resolved to keep monitoring the situation... if Demona reverted to type, he’d act. Otherwise, he’d just wait and see.

To be continued....